The Front Porch - San Francisco
65 A 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Front Porch - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefrontporchsf.com/
- Phone: 4156957800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday-Thursday: 5:30 PM-10:30 PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:30 PM-11 PM
Sunday: 5:00 PM-10:00 PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday & Saturday
5:30 PM- 11 PM Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt Marcus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: For all of you who hate waiting out in the cold for our delicious fried chicken the front porch has just bought you a cozy new neighborhood bar across the street called Rock Bar(as in geological rocks you'll see what I mean) where you can get a great cocktail before dinner & after dessert. Rumor has it there may be a midnight fried chicken window with a get it til it's gone type of supply and demand in the works!Plus there will be some front porch signature snacks to hold you over or up.
- Special Events: 9/9/ @ 9 pm The front porch will be having a viewing party for our showcase on food networks diners, drive-ins and dives. Porch concession stand will be available after 9pm and last dinner reservation will be at 7:30.
9/16/13 The front porch turns lucky number 7. We will be closed for regular dinner service, but 20 bucks gets you a big plate of food and some fun entertainment.
A word from The Front Porch - San Francisco
Come rock out on the porch and enjoy some southern mission hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Front Porch - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (103)fit for foodies (67)great for brunch (44)great for outdoor dining (34)hot spot (32)good for groups (27)special occasion (20)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (19)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (6)Show More
- great beignetsSFCitizenDined on 10/19/2014Very nice place to have a good Sunday brunch. Beignets were very good. Chicken fried steak with cream gravy was awesome. Great service.Special Features:
- Do I dare rave?scmavenVIPDined on 10/15/2014Okay, I'm a Front Porch frequent flyer. I know the owners by first name and half the servers as well. I have NEVER been let down by this place. Watching the Giants win game 3 of the NLCS at the end of the bar with Cyrus serving up Corpse Revivers was a peak experience. Oh yeah, and the food rocks - every one of Cyrus' recommendations was a home run. I am always reluctant to rave about a place because then it gets too crowded for when I want to go, but I know that Josie, Kevin and Jacob will take care of their number one fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome and consistent!FoodmamaDined on 10/14/2014This was my third visit in the last couple of months. Watermelon Tomato Salad amazing and I've had it each visit...so refreshing! The Sweet Tea Brined Pork Chop with corn and kale is so tender and juicy and the Tomato Gazpacho light and not too spicy, especially nice on a warm evening. Strawberry Sorbet was a bit sweet and the bread pudding with bacon was a bit dense, but the sauce was good. All in all still a high recommendation to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Front PorchAnnabelleDined on 10/12/2014Easy to make a reservation for three, though when we were seated, it was at a table in the back next to the kitchen, which made for more noise and clatter than usual. Good food and service.Special Features:
- Quality food and lots of funMattPacificDined on 10/12/2014Warm and happy people doing a great job with delicious classics prepared better than I had then before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fried Chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014This place has THE best fried chicken in the City. And this time we did the gluten free option and it was a home run also! And those crab fritters are out of this world. The portions are very hardy and the service couldn't have been nicer. We sat back by the kitchen and I was impressed with the all round good vibe and extraordinary delicacies coming from such a small space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique San Francisco placeSurprisingDined on 10/8/2014The food at The Front Porch is very good as well as being creatively conceived and executed. The bar makes drinks that have the same quality. One would be hard pressed to find anything comparable in the City. The atmosphere is relaxed and informal making everyone welcome including people who don't go out to eat often along side foodies. It is a neighborhood place with an unusual décor, especially the ceiling which is wonderful and feels very old San Francisco. Their specialty, Fried Chicken, alone makes it worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Chicken!SFLizVIPDined on 10/5/2014Of everything they make, the fried chicken is the most consistently great. I wish the sides were a little more ZINGY, but it's so fun to get an actual bucket of fried chicken and it's truly excellent, crispy outside and moist inside.Special Features:
- Good experience.KimTorDined on 10/5/2014Went because of Diners Drive-ins and Dives. We booked and then changed to a later time - staff were very accommodating! Great service. Food was good but my expectations were high. Had chicken and waffles - chicken was outstanding, waffles average. Husband had hash, it was average. Overall good experience, would definitely recommend. But it was further away from our hotel in Fishermans wharf than I realized. Thankfully we went on our way to the airport!Special Features:
- I enjoyed it very much.FredThePlumberDined on 10/1/2014We had mac and cheese and hush puppies as apitizers and a bucket of chicken as the main. That and the drinks and service was all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableObispoDined on 9/27/2014I'm confident that I'll eat well and feel welcomed at The Front Porch.Special Features:
- Great comfort food!FoodyoneVIPDined on 9/20/2014The most amazing fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and fried corn! Fresh blackened flounder and salads were also great! Warm welcome and friendly helpful service, full bar, and neat atmosphere! If you like comfort food, and who doesn't, this is the place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodnicknamexx123Dined on 9/20/2014This is a great place with amazing food and excellent cocktails that is also kid friendly at brunch. It is nice to get something great for the adults that keeps the kids happy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not greatlovetoeatDined on 9/16/2014Expected more after reading the reviews. Food was good and service great but like a lot of San Francisco restaurants, the food was over priced for what it was. Brunswick stew was wonderful, pork chop really good, fried chicken good but not great. Would still go back if I was in the area again.Special Features:
- Amazing.... Too loinsBharbDined on 9/13/2014The food and decor and staff all Amazing. Convenient and easy to park. I am from Atlanta and felt right at home. The fried chicken and the shrimp and grits delicious... I was thrilled. It was so loud. Wow. The only draw back to the night . We were with guest from out if town... We didn't event talk. Too loud- so many drunk people and parties. It felt more like a bar than a restaurant. The food was Amazing and I will go again.... I will only sit outside though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs upOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/12/2014One of the best places for fried chicken. Everything we ordered was tasty even something as simple as mashed potato. We will be back!Special Features:
- Ah-May-Zing!!!!work2eatDined on 9/12/2014Saw The Front Porch on DDD 2 years ago and we finally made it! Ambience was a little dark but comfy, service was good. The fried chicken was perfection -- crispy on the outside and so juicy on the inside. The collard greens were like my husband's grandma used to make, and according to him, she was Queen of the Greens! Garlic mashers were creamy and smooth. Dinner was big enough for my husband and I to share (4 pieces of chicken). We split the Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon salad -- Yuh-Umm! My son got the Braised Dr. Pepper Short Ribs. First words out of his mouth: Oh. My. God. Only complaint: we had to paid for substitutions (couple of bucks). All in all, one of the best dining experiences EVER!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute SpotYummmDined on 9/9/2014I should have been more prepared for Soul Food= Fried Food. I do not really eat fried food...so I ate light. Cute spot, great staff...Special Features:
- Fried Chicken!SherryFromSFDined on 9/6/2014Our friends recommended this place for fried chicken, and it did not disappoint. It came with delicious mashed potatoes and gravy, and collard greens -- the perfect comfort food when you need a fix. We tried a couple of their special cocktails. Joe's was OK, mine was exceedingly strong, but what I expected based on the description. It looks like it might have been a diner at one point -- there are car bench seats, and cute decorations. There's even a small outside seating area with heaters. The only downside, was that there was a gnat or two near our table that night. It could have been because of the hot days we've been having and they got inside. I'd recommend this place when you need to get your fried chicken on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Great food and large portions. Great service and very friendly. Well worth the trip to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant DiscoveryexopchefDined on 8/30/2014Wow what a great discovery. Let's keep this place our secret.Found this place from reading it's reviews and they are spot on. Tasty food in a hip vibrant atmosphere. The gumbo was a homerun in taste and spice. Followed up by the best, most tender pork chop known to mankind. What a great piece of pig. With sides like collard greens, kale and cornbread how can you go wrong. Oh yeah and don't forget to get an order of the fried dates stuffed with goat cheese. It's a mouthgasm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Great place..always come with the family. Staff very friendly and food is delicious.Special Features:
- Southern Cooking Done RightBecmapVIPDined on 8/26/2014This place has the most authentic southern cooking that there is to offer. From the fabulous beer and wine list, albeit limited, to the food, our night was incredible. The Front Porch was recommended by our waiter at another restaurant. It lived up to his rave! We tried the Pork, the Dr. Pepper braised short ribs, the shrimp and the chicken fried steak, which comes out on a TV tray! It was all incredible. A warning on the pork, it comes out quiet rare because the sweet tea brine allows for that. Ask ahead for it to be cooked through. The appetizers were divine. We had the bacon wrapped dates, Fried green tomatoes and deviled eggs. The bacon wrapped dates were the star. The Front Porch is a winner worth returning to.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiencedigitalboy75Dined on 8/24/2014This is an amazing, small little place located in a quiet end of the Mission. If coming by BART you have a nice appetite building walk; if you drive there is almost always an open spot very near by. There's a small waiting area outside where you can meet friends; and I usually run into someone I know there even if I'm not meeting friends! The bar is amazing...for brunch, dining, and of course DRINKING. A friend loves that he can get a Sazerac here. Then the food...AMAZING. Make sure you try the fried okra; the shrimp and grits or the fried chicken. What am I saying, everything I've sampled here is a flavor bomb.Special Features:
- Great family placeCrunchyumDined on 8/23/2014All ages will revel and delight in the crunchy fried goodness of the Front Porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014Fabulous as always! Love the collards and mashers (and the fried chicken of course!)Special Features:
- A GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014San Francisco has many great spots. This, everyone knows. The Front Porch, though, is one of my absolute favorites and has been for many years, now. It's one of the first places that come to mind, for me, when I'm planning a special evening for someone...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014It was disappointing because they are apparently known for their fried chicken but it was really bland and boring. And when we returned it and asked for a burger instead, the order was not completed properly. Also, the drinks are poured a little light-handed. The staff there was friendly and the music in the background was good although it was a touch loud there.
- Not the friendliest staffBeverlyVIPDined on 8/5/2014The service here is always a bit slow and not as friendly as you'd expect....
- Good Food/Long WaitEatTheStreetDined on 8/3/2014Good food but the wait for our main entree was a little too long for my likingSpecial Features:
- Mainstay & my favorite spotredanonymouseDined on 7/31/2014Excellent as usual... gumbo app is a must, but coulda been a lil hotter (temp, not spice); fried chicken is unparalleled; burger, a mainstay too just doesn't seem like the burgers of old; pecan pie was 5 star! What I really love about FP is the ambiance. Don't know what it is... the booths, the bar, the bartender who's been there for years... be coming here for 9 years -- chefs have turned, ownership too (???) but I JUST LOVE THIS PLACE!!!Special Features:
- Southern BlissGPSSDined on 7/27/2014Took my gf to The Front Porch for a Sunday date. The decor and ambiance are awesome. I appreciate a good rocking chair neighborhood feel. We ordered the devil's eggs, baked Mac n cheese, and 4 piece chicken. All scream comfort food deliciousness. I highly recommend the brown bag beignets for dessert. I love this restaurant. A mission gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averageBeaglebudDined on 7/27/2014We went to celebrate 2 birthdays. The table they sat us at was a small table for four with an added chair at the end. The food we ordered barely fit on the table without constant reshuffling of plates. The table next to us was seated 10 minutes after us and had their order taken before us as well as their wine served. The food is good but not exceptional. The prices charged feel high for the portion size. The chicken was tasty and crunchy. The braised short ribs could have been a little more tender. The shrimp and grits were good but overpriced for the portion. Overall, an average dining experience. A good restaurant but not great.
- Loved it!!CHuttotexasfun2014VIPDined on 7/26/2014The fried chicken was tasty , crisp snd moist on the inside, with just the right spicy crispy crust. The shrimp grits were smoothe and the brown gravy was scrumptious !! Would love to go back!! Bloody Mary's were yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding flavorsSpiker53Dined on 7/24/2014The fried chicken is the best i`ve tasted of any place in all my travels throughout the world. It`s a must try if you and your group want to have a fantastic meal with different plates to sample, do the chicken. My wife had the Dr. Pepper brazed shot rib and it`s a good portion of great flavors. We tried to replicate the meal at home, came close to The Front Pouch`s, but not even as good. The wait staff are great and attentive so overall get a reservation and have a wonderful meal whatever you have, plus for San Francisco they are moderately priced.Special Features:
- Love the food, hated the serverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2014I've been to the front porch a few times, all the food is great, but the other night we had a server that had the demeanor of a wet mop. We had to reminder our server about drinks and appetizers we ordered, and once the server realized we had ask a different server for our orders, the server came over and tried to be nice....unfortunately it was a little too late for that. Our server seems way more interested in the hipster friends or what was happening at the Rock Bar than anything else. LAME!Special Features:
- super experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014we saw this place on DDDs!! i brought my fiancé here the night i proposed to her.. the place was amazing.. the food was superb.. and the staff was awesome!! they found out we were engaged and made it a night to remember!! we will definitely be going back to this place very soon!!Special Features:
- plumpuddingVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's easy to miss because it looks like someone's front porch. :-) We had a great meal; the fried green tomatoes with red pepper coulis is a tasty starter and the wild Louisiana shrimp is what shrimp should taste like! We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- **YUM**SchatziDined on 7/19/2014Loved the chicken & waffles, fried okra, mac n cheese w/side of ham!! Excellent value, service and drinks! = )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent again!SFTempTransplantVIPDined on 7/18/2014Second time around, charmed again! This time I brought along a couple more friends. The food was consistently excellent. This is fast becoming a go-to place for me and my friends. No drama-just great food, great atmosphere, and excellent service. This restaurant is a winner and I'll be back.Special Features: