52 Vanderbilt Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ammosnewyork.com/
- Phone: 2129229999
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 11:30 pm , Sunday available only for private events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Bruno Marino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ammos Restaurant now delivers. We cater and set up your entire event. Ammos Special Event Coordinator will be very happy to create a unique menu for your event. We also can accommodate up to 125 persons to our restaurant and up to 25 persons to our private “ Mezzanine” Wine Room
- Entertainment: Live Greek music every last Friday of the month from 10pm until Late...
- Special Events: Happy hour * 2:30-5:30 @ the bar & Lounge area - 50% All Drinks
Happy hour: All house liquor and house wine $6 from 3pm to closing.
No Corkcage fee on Mondays
A word from Ammos Estiatorio
***** SEAFOOD GREEK RESTAURANT ***** Located in the Heart of Midtown, steps away from Grand Central Terminal. Ammos provides upscale, authentic cuisine from various regions of Greece. The menu features a wide array of mezedes and pristinely fresh seafood as well as whole grilled fish. Ammos is the Greek word for "sand" and the restaurant’s airy, open design, light woods and weathered stones conjure the sun-drenched atmosphere of the Greek islands.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ammos Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Ammos Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (58)good for groups (50)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (45)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (28)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (9)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2008We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Ammos. The Crudo and the Octopus were outstanding. Also the Med. Sea Bass was wonderful. Late Sat. night is Greek night and the music and entertainment was very enjoyable. The service was also very good. Our waiter was from Greece and was very informative. It is definitely a B-Back.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2008Great food and ambiance, but on the noisy side for a business lunch, which is what I had planned. Would definitely return with a more energetic group for dinner. The shrimp entree was fabulous.
- Mediocre and over priced.AlsalDined on 8/5/2008Mediocre and over priced. The service staff was annoying and uncoordinated. For a restaurant that advertises excellent Greek cuisine, they miss the little details. For example, grilled Haloumi a Cypriot specialty was sliced so thin that it could have been a potato chip and it lost all of its traditional flavor. The "fresh fish" was puny and over cooked while the sides were washed out.
- Good fresh fish and seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2008Good fresh fish and seafood well prepared. Interesting wine collection by the glass.Special Features:
- we enjoyed it a lot, interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2008we enjoyed it a lot, interesting food,unobtrusive service and not too loud. Great fish!
- Dinner was excellent, helpOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2008Dinner was excellent, help was attentive. It was very quiet, considering the location and the time. Across the street is a beer garden that was absolutely packed. I had a wonderful quiet dinner with an old work associate and it was the perfect place to catch up.Special Features:
- I go to Ammos frequently.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/24/2008I go to Ammos frequently. It is a great place for lunch. I bring many clients and associates there. Everyone loves it.Special Features:
- Interesting that on July 24th,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/24/2008Interesting that on July 24th, a restaurant specializing in Greek cuisine and seafood would not have tuna or sea bass available for lunch.Special Features:
- Upscale Greek restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/17/2008Upscale Greek restaurant with very friendly service and nice selection of Greek wines.Special Features:
- I have lunched at Ammos EstiatorioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2008I have lunched at Ammos Estiatorio many times and find it to be consistently good with fresh, delightful dishes. Typically, the quality of the service has not matched the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Greek restaurant with outragesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2008Greek restaurant with outrages prices poor service!!. I went 7/12/08. My party of 4 were the only ones there from 530pm till 730pm. They acted like we didn't exist,manager never came to make us feel welcome knowing that the place was empty. The only person that was kind was an indian bus boy that came with pita bread squares & olives because he heard me, the waiter never bothered to give or have someone bring us some. The service was so slooooow!!!! with only us there. Your entree doesnt come with anything extra. You order steak thats all you get no rice, potatoes. Same goes with the fish! I will never come back or recommend this place. We should have left. The place is dark from the outside looks closed, thats what they should do CLOSE!!!
- The waiter did not know howOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2008The waiter did not know how to describe the deserts.Special Features:
- it was pretty crowded andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2008it was pretty crowded and they did not have enough menus for all of the tables and the food took a very long time to come out, otherwise the food is tasty
- I always love Ammos - theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2008I always love Ammos - the ambience and the food - but am always reminded of how loud it is. I don't know what it is because it's such a lovely large space but it's nearly impossible to hear your colleagues at this restaurant unless they speak extremely loudly. I would like to frequent this place more often and use it as my business lunch spot only if they can fix the noise problem. Maybe they need to put some noise absorbers on the ceiling or something? I'm sure a pro can help them with this but Haru in Times Square has the same problem so unless I can get a table there in the periphery where the noise seems to reverberate less, I don't go there for business lunches. I can't. I hope Ammos can fix this problem so that I can go there more!
- Good place for business lunchs.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/3/2008Good place for business lunchs. Good location. Just opposite Grand Central TerminalSpecial Features:
- Very good high-end Greek restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2008Very good high-end Greek restaurant. Very good food, with a somewhat limited menu--and in fact two fish choices not available. They accomodated my request for quiet seating and provided very attentive service.Special Features:
- was very sutitabela for aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/26/2008was very sutitabela for a business lunch especially because we went early, avoiding the lunch hour crowd. the entrees are not inexpensive but the portions are very generous.
- My co-worker and I thoroughlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2008My co-worker and I thoroughly enjoyed the food. We opted for the prixe fix lunch and both of our selections were delicious. However, the service was quite slow. We were the 1st ones seated in that particular section and the table next to us received their salads at least 10 minutes before we received ours. I'd definitely go back but only for dinner. I don't have 2 hours for lunch.Special Features:
- Very disappointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/17/2008Very disappointed with the service. We waited 25 minutes btwn appetizer & main course and did not see a waiter in btwn. Our request for bread fell on deaf ears.
- The kitchen lost our order,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/16/2008The kitchen lost our order, and the waiter told us food would be out in 2 minutes. 10 minutes later (50 minutes after we had arrived), he said they couldn't do my order in time. They took 20% off the bill and threw in a freebie, but this was a business lunch and the service was a disaster.
- At first it was a neighborhoodUWSdadVIPDined on 6/13/2008At first it was a neighborhood 'find' for a great price-fix lunch. The cost of the price fix has gone up and the # of choices has gone down. I will not be rushing back.
- The food is fine, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2008The food is fine, but the wines are overpriced. The deserts we had were not the best, but we may have ordered the wrong things.Admittedly the weather was a noise problem, but this is not a place for a quiet chat. It is obviously a place for young people and others who don't mind a bit of noise. The service is fair, but none of the personal touch. It was a bit confusing. In essence the restaurant is fun but overpriced in most categories, particularly the wine list. I know a fair amount about wines, and I know when I'm overpaying.Special Features:
- I was thoroughly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2008I was thoroughly disappointed with the service. We were offered a tall bistro table near the door, which was not a good suggestion for ladies in skirts and would not have been optimal anyway given the noise and traffic by the door. We were seated upstairs and practically ignored for at least 5mins, left w/o bread or water (our only requested drink) for 10 mins and our order wasn't taken for another 5-8 minutes. When we asked about receiving bread and/or water the waiter replied he didn't know where the bread was or where to find it as he was new. We requested mayonaise as a condiment, which we never received and were later told the restaurant didn't have any. I seemed to recall having mayonaise at Ammos before--aweful experience;-(
- I am a regular user. VeryWestonDined on 6/11/2008I am a regular user. Very reliable. Excellent sea food. Very Greek.Special Features:
- Although the food was veryLadyDiDined on 6/4/2008Although the food was very good, I thought it over-priced. We ordered Ouzo after dinner and the waiter asked us which kind we'd like. Not being familiar with Ouzo brands I asked him to choose a typical brand. Well, he choose the most expensive didn't offer the price of the Ouzo, and on top of that, it was extremely strong and not a plesant taste. I have been to your restaurant previously and noticed that some of the typical Greek appetizer were not listed - such as the whole fish. Also, the spreads were considerably smaller (in tiny sqaures) and the spreads were listed at $5 per person. At that price we should have received a larger portion (3 people) and there wasn't enough spreads to go around. Disappointing.Special Features:
- This is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/4/2008This is one of my favorite places. Food is delicous and service is attentive. I take many clients here.
- Excellent food and very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/28/2008Excellent food and very good service. An outstanding location. My reservation was honored, even after I changed it to 15 minutes later, which is always appreciated. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Grilled octopus appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2008Grilled octopus appetizer was fine. Evening special of Grouper in parchment was rubbery and chewy and didn't taste fresh. Vegetables served along with dish were over-cooked. Service was friendly. Bad wine (Italian) at $15 a small glass was not fun.
- The look of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/22/2008The look of the restaurant is very attractive and the food was fresh, innovative and delicious. However the noise level and the slow kitchen were turn offs, but I would try it again.Special Features:
- I dine there regularly andJessVIPDined on 5/14/2008I dine there regularly and food is consistantly good. Staff is warm and try but service could be a bit better. Often feel as if they are short staffed at lunch when it gets busy. Example - take your empty ice tea glass but don't offer another. But that being said it is always a nice experience.Special Features:
- The octopus salad was likeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/2/2008The octopus salad was like no other I've ever tasted before - excellent; the fresh grilled fish was good, but it was not memorable; the wine was okay and we learned during the course of the evening that we actually ordered a bottle, not just a glass each as we asked for...I guess it happens.
- Service was rather amateurish,AMKoVIPDined on 5/2/2008Service was rather amateurish, and the food, while good, was not really memorable (though my dinner companion loved the huge octopus salad). In general, we didn't think the place was very good value, and certainly didn't think it was worth returning to.
- There was a very long waitMTCCVIPDined on 5/2/2008There was a very long wait between when we finished our appetizers and were served the main course (at least 30 minutes). No explanation was made by the waiter or staff for this delay. i have been to Ammos several other times and did not experience this type of service problem before.
- The restaurant is airy andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2008The restaurant is airy and tastefully designed. I loved the open wine "cellar". The service was superb. Our waiter was knowledgable, friendly and very attentive. The appertizers were great - especially the octopus. I really wanted the greek salad but didn't think $16 was worth it for tomamtoes and cucumbers. As my friend pointed out, "make it at home'. I had the Halibut for the main course. I thought it was extremely salty. And I didn't like the breading. It was heavy and for $36 I was disappointed. Halibut is light and I could not really taste the fish between the salt and the coating. My friend did like her Dorado. She was not wowed....again mainly because it is very expensive.Special Features:
- My co-worker discovered AmmosOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2008My co-worker discovered Ammos a couple weeks ago and I loved our meal so much that I couldn't wait to go back. Everything this DELISH and fresh - amazing seafood and veggie options so healthy meals are easy here. I forsee this being a new regular place, especially for lunches with co-workers and clients.Special Features:
- I love Ammos! It's one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/21/2008I love Ammos! It's one of my favorite restaurants! The food is absolutely delicious and the decor is classy. It's a perfect restaurant for many occasions - to meet friends, dine with my husband, or bring business partners.Special Features:
- Fish was very fresh. Starters,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/15/2008Fish was very fresh. Starters, esp. octopodi was good. Ordered a bottle of wine and twice they reported not having it due to a shipping problem. Waiter was very slow to come to table to take order.Special Features:
- I was extremely disappointed.mpingosVIPDined on 4/14/2008I was extremely disappointed. I had been there 2x before & enjoyed it. the food was bad, the service was poor.
- This restaurant used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/12/2008This restaurant used to be our secret find, but we will not be returning for quite a while. The restaurant was approximately 1/3 full, yet they seated us in the corner on top of another couple. We did request to be moved so we were not imposing on this other couple. The waiter could not be bothered with providing service to us or the tables surrounding ours. Needless to say, we got up to leave 20 minutes later when we had not received anything to drink (we had ordered bottled water) or had placed our order. I usually do not provide negative feedback, but I hope that this was just a fluke for that night.
- Two tables next to us hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2008Two tables next to us had two seatings in the time it took us to get through 1 meal (1 spread appetizer and 3 lunch orders, no deserts or after meal coffees)