52 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.btaverna.com/
- Phone: (415)986-8887x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Bar: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm & 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm, Sunday 4:30pm - 6:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pino Spinoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Special Events: For our diners on New Year's Eve and Valentines day, we will be offering both a special set menu in addition to our normal menu along with tented entertainment.
- Cross Street: Kearny & Pine
- Public Transit: Montgomery BART/MUNI station. Centrally located in the Financial District, 5 minutes walking distance from Moscone Conference Center, and 7 minutes walking distance from Union Square Area.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking Options:Sutter - Stockton Garage at 330 Sutter St,San Francisco Ca, Open Daily 24 hours. Or Street Parking
A word from Belden Taverna
Belden Taverna is an Italian Steakhouse. The cuisine is a memorable blend of bold flavors and elegant refinement. We serve contemporary American classics, beautiful Mediterranean themed salads, fresh seafood dishes and we use nothing but California farm fresh produce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Belden Taverna - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Belden Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (17)romantic (13)great for lunch (13)good for groups (12)notable wine list (12)special occasion (11)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingKimberlys82Dined on 1/21/2014Came here for SF's Dine about town. On their website the DAT menu included steak (the only reason I chose this restaurant). Get to the restaurant and steak is no longer an option on the DAT menu. Since that was what I really wanted I ordered a Petite Filet Mignon instead of something off the DAT menu. Asked for Medium Well, it was rare. Service was slow (my friend had to ask for her starter soup because after about 30 min it wasn't out yet), food was not great. Got a Smores Cake dessert ($9) and it was very small and not good at all. Overall the meal was expensive (about $60 for steak, happy hour wine and dessert), incorrect and not very good. Will not be back.
- good but not greatdontcookgooutDined on 1/19/2014took for ever to get food after ordering, and it was the night of the SF 49ers vs. Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine About Town FindDivineDineDined on 1/17/2014Friends and I were trying to find a place to have dinner before a jazz show in the vicinity. It was the annual Dine About Town and I found this place on the opentable website. We could not have been happier. The pasta tasted like it made just hours before, the pork chop was the biggest one I'd ever seen and the desserts were absolutely divine! Highly suggested!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ValueSatisfiedDined on 1/2/2014We had the crab cakes which were excellent - crispy and full of crab meat. Lunch was Venison burger for my guest and beef Stroganoff for me. Both dishes were perfectly cooked. Dessert, spicy nut cake with maple ice cream and berries, to die for. I'd definitely put this restaurant on my permanent list of good places to eat in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYEOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/31/2013I have to say as far as a NYE meal and experience it was great. We had a group of 14 and we were well taken care of. The food came out quickly on such a busy night and it was really good. Everyone enjoyed their meal, except those who had the steak and lobster. The lobster was delicious- cooked to perfection, but the steaks were bland and most of them were over cooked and dry. Other than that we had a lovely time at a fair price point. I loved the atmosphere.Special Features:
- QuaintKatHrynVIPDined on 12/23/2013Perfect for friends to have a special lunch together! Just the right amount of food. Great tasting too!Special Features:
- Good for a celebrationDebsuetayDined on 12/20/2013A group of us met here for our Christmas get together dinner. We had a great time even tho we sat outside. The lights were on and the heater lamps protected us from being too cold. Our waiter was a sweetie and was there when we needed him, but did not hover. The spaghetti with crab was delicious. Great choice. We also split two salads that were very tasty. The host checked on us to make sure everything was good, that was a very nice touch. I will go again.Special Features:
- Girls' Holiday LunchLittlePuffyDined on 12/19/2013I went with co-workers as a holiday lunch. My Grilled fish was absolutely excellent, full of flavor. I also enjoyed the brussels sprout Caesar salad. Everyone else seemed to like their food equally as well. The only complaint at our table was that one dish arrived cooler than it should, as if it had waited for the rest to be finished before being served. But was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Improved Belden TavernaAnnPVIPDined on 12/18/2013I love eating on Belden Street -- a wonderful little pedestrian street off of Union Square. It reminds me of Paris or the fish restaurant area in Istanbul. Anyway, I heard that Franz Meis had taken over the restaurant about 8 months ago, brought in a new chef and really improved the service so we gave it a try. Well it was wonderful. The wait staff was fantastic and the food was AMAZING. Try the pork chop. It's rumored to be the best in the city. And the pasta was delicious and is handmade every day. When we were their Mayor Lee and the Police Chief were upstairs at a private event. It's a great place and very good deal. we will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overbooked, Service Good, Food OKLisaGVIPDined on 12/14/2013We made reservations, but when arrived, "we're overbooked, you will have to wait for a bit." Then she had one table avail upstairs, there was a huge party table and it was very loud. We said we'd wait for a table downstairs, or outside under a heater. After waiting for almost an hour, we finally got a table indoors, which was nice. The bartender was the best part of our experience. He was very nice and bought us a round of drinks at the end - since we ended up being the last table there. The server was just ok. He didn't make us feel any better, especially waiting so long for a table. He took a long time to serve us our food. Now the food, not the best. The meat was overcooked, no flavor potatoes and boring bread. Not happy.Special Features:
- Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/14/2013My husband and I went here for date night and had a great time. We were late because of traffic but the hostess was very nice and accommodating. It's your typical SF restaurant were the tables are so close together you're pretty much dining with the table next to you. It makes for an interesting evening. The food was very good. There were so many things that I wanted to try so we did a bunch of apps and shared an entree. They need to work a little on their cheese plate but I even enjoyed that. I think our server took a little long but he seemed busy and we were enjoying our conversation so we didn't care. Overall great restaurant. I'd definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013The food was very good, and for $40, a steak SHOULD be good. The service however was baffling. The waiter initially was very friendly, then just decided he was tired of us? We ordered food, the table next to us ordered after us, and we did not receive our food until the table next to us was finished with their meal. There was no explanation or apology regarding the delay. After another very long wait, a different waiter finally brought us our dessert menu. Dinner took 2 1/2 hours! Ridiculous. I am definitely sympathetic when waiters are busy, but ours did not seem that busy. Plus we were crammed at a small table because they overbooked, and it was loud and hard to have a conversation. I wouldn't come here again, and wouldn't recommend it.
- Just OKJudyVIPDined on 12/14/2013Had the Spaghetti with Dungeness crab (which included jalapeños, asparagus and corn - weird combo but I just had to try it). It was not too bad. Also had the gnocchi with rabbit ragu - sounded fabulous. Unfortunately the sauce tasted just like Franco-American out of the can - I am not kidding. My husband said the same thing before I even told him that's what I thought. I wouldn't go out of my way to go back.
- Great live music was a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2013Great live music was a nice surprise. The karaoke not so much.Special Features:
- Dinner with out of town friendsEddieVIPDined on 11/25/2013Great evening of food, wine, views and friends. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Nice for lunch, but...TableForTwoDined on 11/19/2013This was my first visit to Belden Taverna and it was a business luncheon. Nice place, good food, great service and very reasonably priced. But we were kind of wondering what was wrong since we were the only ones in the restaurant. Only bad thing, having to bat off the gnats that kept flying around our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belden TavernaPrincessVIPDined on 11/16/2013This gem of a restaurant is like being in Europe. The whole street is lined with indoor/outdoor restaurants that are very charming. Three of us had pork chops which our waiter recommended and they were extremely delicious. My husband had a fish dish which he was medium on.The plates had a nice presentation and the service was wonderful. We would all go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really loved this place!NCbbqDined on 11/9/2013Being in SF for a conference, three of us were over the busy scene and seeking a quiet supper. We sat outdoors for quiet. Our waiter was the happiest person i encountered in SF! He was helpful, attentive, and happy! The food was stellar (hello, bowl of bacon!) and the suggestions spot on. Best chicken parm you may ever encounter-and the chili was just what i needed. Would absolutely come here again and highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2013Good place for business lunch. Not too stuffy or too casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was good, but a longTiffyPopsVIPDined on 10/29/2013Service was good, but a long wait for the food. We had six at our table - ended up being a two hour lunch. Waiters - friendly and helpful - nice guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately our lunch hadquietdinerVIPDined on 10/2/2013Unfortunately our lunch had to be cancelled. Next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!RestbudDined on 9/30/2013Noisy outdoor but food was good! Lady at the front was very friendly and nice. Waiter was a bit cold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Works well for different occasionsalwaysplanningDined on 9/24/2013Had a large group - originally 12 people which grew to 17 - have dinner here during a busy conference week. Close enough to FiDi to walk (10-15 mins from Moscone) and they were VERY accommodating as the number of people we had in the party grew. Food was fair to good - overcooked fish but others loved their meal (stroganoff). Apps were good size and good to share. Service was pleasant and accommodating but a little distracted. We ordered tomato bisque - they brought lobster bisque which we let slide. Also I asked to split up bill by groups of 4 which they said they could do and then they did not do. I didn't push it since they were so good about the extra people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantKokoVIPDined on 9/20/2013We had a dinner for 11 people. They made table at up stairs then excellent service. Staff were all friendly. Food was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for last minute reservationDWinSFVIPDined on 9/14/2013Nice spot in Belden Court. Usually easy to get a last minute reservation. Food very good, especially the beef stew. Terrific hostess and wait staffSpecial Features:
- Great Belden Alley FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2013I love dining in Belden Alley, but had never tried this spot... well it's my new favorite! The menu is delightful and my salad was delightful. The service was attentive and, of course, Belden provides the best al fresco dining experience in the financial district. A true gem.Special Features:
- Nice HostessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2013Greeted by a really welcoming and nice hostess who asked for our preference of area. With a chill in the air we chose to sit upstairs away from the band. Upon sitting down no waiter showed up for some time prompting us to ask for a manager. Then a frat crowd and 2 six tops sat down in the same area. She gave her focus to the larger tables (obviously for the larger tip possibility) and got to us when she had spare time. Not really the service I recall or hoped for when I made a reservation to impress my wife on vacation. Staff may need some re-training on how to manage getting quadruple sat and utilizing assistance of fellow waiters, hostess & busers. I would have rather my tip go to the bus boy who helped us out the most.Special Features:
- One of worst SF dining experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2013My wife and I travel often to SF and have previously dinned at other Belden Place neighborhood restaurants. AVOID this restaurant for many obvious reasons: food quality was poor, bland flavoring with service mediocre at best. My wife's seafood pasta dish tasted like pasta with minimal seafood flavors and my short rib pappardelle had excess tomato sauce, minimal beef with a very bland taste. If you want bland food, this is the perfect place...otherwise skip and choose other REAL restaurants in Belden.
- We went to see the band...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013We went to Belden Taverna because the Americano Social Club was playing on Friday night but the whole experience was great. The food was delicious. My husband loves the steak salad and usually he is not a salad eater. This has become one of our favorite places, well worth the drive up from San Jose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belden TavernaFoodaliciousVIPDined on 7/16/2013You can find Belden Taverna located in an alley called "Belden Place". It's like a slice of Paris in San Francisco with everyone dining outside. The food was yummy. Had the Beef Stroganoff & Flower Pinot Noir. Also had a Risotto Balls Appetizer that were filled with Short Ribs & Profiteroles for dessert. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- team lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2013tables were very wobbly, so good thing we were not having wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belden TavernaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2013Outstanding restaurant. Delicious food, extremely helpful and courteous service. Belden Pl. is a very appealing blocked off street near the corner of Pine/Kearny in San Francisco. Outstanding environment. Very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, little privacyJKEatingVIPDined on 6/13/2013Service was attentive. Crowded with very little space btwn tables. We ate outside, lunch on a Thursday. I think all the restaurants on Belden alley do this.
- The dine about town menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/12/2013The dine about town menu was great. I would totally go back for another lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touristy but funoutoftownerVIPDined on 6/11/2013Belden Taverna is in an alleyway described as "European-style" on some reviews, which I guess means there's a whole bunch of outdoor seating type restaurants in a row featuring huckster ladies with menus entreating you to sit down at their tables. It's hard to distinguish the restaurants from each other but the Taverna was fine - the food was good, the atmosphere fun and, for us, the weather was great. Yes, it feels a little touristy, but that's no bad thing if you're a visitor to San Francisco, right?Special Features:
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/11/2013The food was very good. The Dine About Town menu had a lot of nice choices and offered a real bargain at $18.95 for a 3 course lunch. The salmon was very well prepared. I can't wait to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2013The food was just okay, nothing special. I went there on my lunch break w a friend. After sitting for an hour, entrees long since finished, I had to flag someone. We were the only people left from lunch and the workers were cleaning takes and didn't check on us. They offered to give our desserts in to go cups. I understand how busy they must have been and their initial greeting when we arrived was great, but I won't be returning.Special Features:
- fun lunch spot!hkshopjunkieDined on 6/6/2013Love dining at the restaurants along Belden Place. The staff at Taverna is very friendly and the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayCellarSnobVIPDined on 5/30/2013I love the location of this restaurant and the first time I ate there the food / service was excellent - this time not so much. They sat us upstairs which was lovely but the service was horribly slow and quite honestly the food didn't wow me. Next time I will insist on sitting downstairs/outside - at least from an ambiance perspective it will take the experience back up a notch.Special Features:
- Transformed StreetTripAdviserDined on 5/25/2013A hidden alley transformed into a European scene. Good food and service with fair prices. Nice find near our hotel and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.