80 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.80thoreau.com/
- Phone: 9783180008x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carolyn Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 80 Thoreau
80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
80 Thoreau - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
80 Thoreau reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (246)special occasion (199)neighborhood gem (186)romantic (105)notable wine list (82)vibrant bar scene (45)hot spot (33)good for groups (25)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- DeliciousFreddieHubbardDined on 8/23/2014Nice spot for a date. Friendly staff and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Tight QuartersStone13VIPDined on 8/23/2014We always find the food at 80 to be excellent and the service very good. The one negative is that the tables are packed in very close together which takes away from the overall experience.Special Features:
- MimiDined on 8/23/2014The dinners were very well designed and executed with subtle and delicious flavors. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and of the highest quality. The almond cake dessert was outstanding.Special Features:
- annnicholsDined on 8/23/2014Lasagne was bland,could have done with more vegetables.My pork loin was tepid and a bit pink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary Dinner!specialdinnerDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed all the food and drinks. Everything was presented so beautifully and by very attentive staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent ExcellenceEatsinconcordVIPDined on 8/22/2014What can I say, another fantastic meal at 80T. Service was unreal and the food to die for. Can't say enough, glad it's right down the street.Special Features:
- Always excellentansolomDined on 8/22/2014We have been to 80 Thoreau several times and have always enjoyed our dishes. The menu includes the freshest seasonal ingredients prepared and presented beautifully and deliciously. The service is always great: friendly and helpful but not disruptive or unctuous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to TableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014One of the finest farm to table gems in the Metro BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!ForTheLoveOfFoodDined on 8/22/2014Definitely a haven for foodies. Loved it. Reserved already for New Years!! Staff were so knowledgable and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but beautifulvoomelDined on 8/20/2014Limited menu so look it up Before hand. Hard to find. Overly interiorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Concord gemNHBobDined on 8/20/2014It is rare that I find a dining experience flawless but this recently happened at 80 Thoreau. Creative cuisine, perhaps best classified as "New American", a well conceived wine list, and excellent service were all on display. The very fair price quality ratio of the food and wine make this a suburban no brainer. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Well done!cleanplatecaraDined on 8/20/2014Although we visited during Restaurant Week, the service was the caliber we would expect when paying full price for a nice evening out. We were pleased that there was a breather between courses and no effort to rush us out, which is sometimes the case during busy evenings elsewhere. Very glad we chose this for Restaurant Week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a delicious restaurant week meal at 80 Thoreau...3 courses for $38. I had the sword fish with grilled peaches and a grain salad...plenty to eat and a delicious combination. Recently the meals have been wonderful. It won't disappoint!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuKG123Dined on 8/19/2014Love going to this spot and could not resist a visit during restaurant week. Menu selections were terrific. There was even a special appetizer selection which was outstanding (Gnocci). I am partial to their chicken which was wonderfully done but the others at my table had the lasagna which was outstanding! Look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- AndyDined on 8/19/2014Great experience and a wonderful place to celebrate a wedding anniversary!Special Features:
- A Decent Restaurant at LastWaitOnMeDined on 8/19/2014Have lived in the "food desert" of Concord for over thirty years and take great joy in having a restaurant where the food and service are superb. They can make tomato soup memorable. The bread is divine. The swordfish perfect. The brandade fritters subtle and excellent. Sampled another Concord eatery recently and wanted to send the staff back for retraining. Here the service was attentive, pleasant, and well-timed.Special Features:
- Diamond in the RoughAndiDined on 8/19/2014Our first time dining here during restaurant week. Very glad we tried it and look forward to oing back to try their menu. I like the fact they have a bar menu as well. Wonderful attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Trendy spot in ConcordDD19Dined on 8/18/2014First time trying 80 Thoreau and pleasantly surprised. Cool interior, nice bar, excellent food. Only minor issue (as noted in other reviews) is the time between courses was a bit long. We were hanging out with good friends so we didn't mind, but might annoy some people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Treat.EricDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is a gem. The food and service are always top notch. Wished we lived closer to Concord, so we could go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014We had a great meal and the serve was excellent. If the corn ice is on the menu, get it!Special Features:
- A little slow this timeOpenStudioVIPDined on 8/16/2014This time it was a little disappointing. I had requested a seat by the train window but instead we were seated in a corner next to the kitchen. The food was excellent as always, however the service was excruciatingly slow. We waited over an hour between the appetizers and the main meal. I noticed that on every table there was no food. Since we were next to the kitchen we could smell the fish cooking and kept thinking "any minute" but it was not to be. Don't know what was going on because it's not usually like that. Will probably go back but not so soon.Special Features:
- 80 Thoreau - First ClassBonVivantDined on 8/16/2014A top notch restaurant. My favorite. Owners Ian Sinclair and Vincent Vela, and Chef de Cuisine Carolyn Johnson have created a culinary and social treasure in a treasure of a town.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerLisaTVIPDined on 8/15/2014We went to celebrate my daughter's departure for senior year in college and had one of the best meals ever. All three of us savored each of our distinctive courses, sharing a bit of everything: pork tenderloin, bluefish, and the paparadelle with lamb ragu. The salads were delectable and I particularly enjoyed the baby kale with grilled cherries. We even celebrated with dessert, sharing the corncake with tomato strawberry ice cream which had such an interesting combination of flavors. Everything was fresh and well-prepared. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great food awful serviceNoFinerDinerDined on 8/15/2014First off, the food was excellent. My wife’s steak was one of the best we’ve had anywhere. The service however, was quite possibly the worst we have ever encountered. Our waitress was completely clueless about the menu and the overall timing of when they brought our dishes was unfathomable. Too long a wait between dishes, no checking with us, etc. We felt completely ignored while the staff completely fawned over the couple next to us. On leaving, they did “slip” my wife a $50 gift certificate but without any explanation or apology. I doubt we'll return to redeem it.
- Great food in a quiet spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014We went for the corn and tomato menu which was excellent. 80 Thoreau is a quiet spot, a place to relax over conversation and great food.Special Features:
- 80 Thoreau247foodieDined on 8/15/2014Exquisite presentation of farm-to-table inspired cuisine. Knowledgeable and professional wait staff, impeccable timing. Pre-fixe 4-course meal was the option we chose (tomato-and-corn theme, with pan seared bluefish entree--heavenly!) paired with a perfect Pinot Noir, although the limited menu offered several other tempting a la carte options as well. We were seated at window table in further dining area overlooking commuter rail arrivals; quite enjoyable. Front dining room included unobtrusive but lively bar area. Lovely contemporary white-tablecloth ambience all on 2nd floor of former depot. Worth every cent. A return trip is definitely on our agenda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful food.boneVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have eaten at 80 Thoreau more than several times. This evening was to celebrate a special occasion so I requested the chef's table which are four seats with a view of the fantastic incredibly designed kitchen. It was a treat to watch half a dozen chefs create the beautifully presented and delicious food. It was like watching a dance. Did I mention that the food was perfect as usual. I have never eaten anything from this kitchen that was not perfect in terms of being able to taste the fresh and wonderful combination of ingredients. The soups are always amazingly aromatic and wonderful. Although I am an absolute fan of the chef's chicken, I tried the sea bass which was perfectly seared and plated. Don't miss the chocolate dessert!Special Features:
- Great Suburban OptionSGH1234Dined on 8/14/2014A great option for suburban dining. There is a wide range of menu options, carefully prepared and beautifully presented. The food is imaginative and tasty. The wait staff is attentive, albeit not as polished as a downtown restaurant. The only draw back is the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect again!adnycDined on 8/14/2014This was my third time eating at 80 Thoreau and once again the food was fantastic. We started with the gnocchi and the blue fish pate. Both were fantastic, but a warning here they are really not big enough to share. Everyone should order their own first as the plates are really just a few bites, wonderful bites, but just a few. The mains were fantastic also. I had the cod....yum! Just perfectly done. My husband had the ribeye, which we snaged right when we sat down since our server told us there was only one left. Our friends ordered the tuna, which was also divine and the lamb ragu pasta which was yumsville also. You will not be disappointed here. The service was impeccable and I have always loved the ambience.Special Features:
- SueHVIPDined on 8/13/2014food was creative and innovative. farm fresh ingredients were used in all dishes, the flavor shined throughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Fabulous food and excellent service and recommendations but very noisy and too little seating in bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/201480 Thoreau has become our favorite restaurant. It has a simple, uncomplicated yet elegant menu and a very interesting wine list (ask for the reserve list. ). Service is great and the bar makes cocktails the way they were meant to be. No better restaurant west if Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special menu deliciousBeauGesteDined on 8/11/201480 Thoreau frequently runs "special menu" dinners. They are creative and well done, as is usual at 80 Thoreau. We ate the "corn and tomato" menu. Even dessert was a corn bread base. Very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dining experience - fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Excellent choice for a special dinner with friend(s) or a romantic evening with your beloved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High summer delightsConcordDinerDined on 8/9/2014Had several items from the Corn and Tomato special menu; was not disappointed! The bluefish was perfectly cooked with johnnycake and kale accompaniments. My husband had the ribeye, also very good. Tomato soup was tasty but a bit heavy on the salt for my taste. Service was fairly attentive. All in all, a memorable meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over60Dined on 8/9/2014We have dined several times at 80 Thoreau and it never disappoints. Recommend the striped bass entree, it was delicious.Special Features:
- Corn & Tomato specialUltraFoodieDined on 8/9/2014Last Friday the restaurant had a special pre fixe ($45) offering that focused on tomatoes and corn http://www.80thoreau.com/restaurant/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/CornTomato.pdf) . Overall the tomato and corn meal was superb with the only tiny blemish being the dessert which was a cornmeal cake covered with ice cream and surrounded by a few cherry tomatoes that didn't really mix well with the cornmeal cake and ice cream. The first course was smoked duck breast with charred corn, tomato jam, and purslane; this first offering was was a gustatory delight. The second course was a tomato corn soup that was beautiful, bountiful, and tasty. The 3rd course was a perfectly grilled bluefish with kale, tomatoes, and johnnycake. Service was great.Special Features:
- A must!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/7/2014We celebrated my mother's 91st birthday at 80 Thoreau--she's 91 going on 70. We didn't have to think hard about anything because Ian, Vincent and team accommodated in everyway. First, they OFFERED to minimize salt and dairy for her meal...this effort is not easy for a well-honed kitchen for foodies! Furthermore, we knew nothing about excellent champagne. Such lack of knowledge is never a challenge here because you can trust Ian and Vincent to recommend wines according to your meal choices, palette, and price range. This restaurant deserves all the accolades! It remains our go-to spot for important celebrations as well as for a break from the mundane of our household kitchen. Please...just go and have an extraordinary dinner sensation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014My Husband & I met up with our God-Daughter who lives in Boston and we live in Littleton for the corn & tomato menu with a chocolate dessert thrown in. Excellent is the word that comes to mind. We had a delightful evening not feeling rushed through our dinner & enjoying every bite.Special Features:
- susanDined on 8/4/2014The food was excellent. The service was great. I found the menu somewhat limited and overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.