Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India
729 4th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monsoonrestaurant.com/index.html
- Phone: 6192345555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Buffet: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Ashley Popat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Rakesh Popat 6198134565
A word from Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India
Monsoon invites you into an ethnic dining dream transcending global culinary borders and introducing diversity within India. A mirrored wall is embellished with a rainbow of lanterns and dim golden lighting to create a warm exotic refuge. Antique style chandeliers hang from the ceiling, flowers and candles brighten up the elegant white table settings and high backed chairs and wall seating allow guests to feel like royalty. The relaxing sound of the waterfall transforms the space into an intimate dining oasis. The buffet area displays diverse and colorful dishes. Wine bottles are integrated into the wall décor encompassing guests into unified world of indulgence. It is a feast for all the senses. Like the beautiful décor, the menu blends a diverse cultural influences merging authenticity with experimentation to create a unique global harmony. Although predominantly influenced by Northern India Monsoon's menu also features various regional dishes. An equally varied beverage and fineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (6)romantic (6)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- We had the $20 all-you-can-eatlanriVIPDined on 9/24/2012We had the $20 all-you-can-eat buffet, which was an excellent value and contained a large array of items that were quite tasty but not distinguishable from other good Indian food. The service was attentive and friendly and the decor was lovely.
- The customer service was outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012The customer service was outstanding from the person meeting us at the door until we finished our meal. They have an excellent buffet as well as a large menu. The food was delicious and plentiful. My wife really raved over the samosas with their flaky crust and wonderful flavor. We would definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:
- I loved the buffet. We weremarcoDined on 9/21/2012I loved the buffet. We were seat and able to get our food quikly. The house beer excellent and the food was great.Special Features:
- Our service was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012Our service was outstanding. My husband is vegetarian and also cannot eat onions or garlic and the server and the chefs were very accomodating with suggestions and results. The dinner was awesome, we will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Food somewhat cold at buffet.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012Food somewhat cold at buffet. Not a great selection at the buffet for the price. No happy hour. Naan bread not the best
- Monsoon is a restaurant I'mOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2012Monsoon is a restaurant I'm going back to. Frank, my waiter, was welcoming and helpful when I asked for suggestions on which naan bread to try. And the drink he made for me with lemonade and cucumber was delicious! I had the Bombay Sampler for dinner because of the variety, and I'm glad I did- all of the appetizers were flavorful, but not very spicy which I'd believed Indian food was supposed to be. I'm learning! :-) And this is definitely the place to learn in.Special Features:
- Great FoodtaylenanneDined on 9/15/2012They had great food and I was pleasantly surprise with the menu and the fact that they didn't have just the standard fare.Special Features:
- Our friends joined us forEddiVIPDined on 8/31/2012Our friends joined us for dinner on a Friday night prior to a play. The location was close to the Horton Grand Theatre. Since we wanted to allow enough time to enjoy dinner at our own pace, the buffet was a good choice. The buffet included a salad and fruit plate, rice dishes, several entrees,and four desserts. The service was good. The interior of the restaurant was attractive.Special Features:
- Decent Food, but ExpensiveCurlygirlDined on 7/2/2012The food was decent, but expensive. And $20 for the buffet was too much considering the limited selection.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2012Though the food was very good the service made the whole night a bust. We left complaining instead of savoring. I have never had to wait so long between each encounter with the our waiter who spent most of the evening behind the bar with two other employees. The place had 4 tables filled and about one waiter per table and I had to in the end get another person from the staff to take our payment because we had been waiting for 20 minutes. When the waiter did come over he was so quiet I couldn't hear him and he didn't seem to want to be there, it's not encouraging to be at a restaurant that doesn't seem inviting at all. Also the samosa appetizer is only 2 samosas (it doesn't give a count in the menu) but is priced like it is 4.
- First rate Indian food, well-presenPhilipDined on 4/21/2012First rate Indian food, well-presented. An especially impressive, varied Appetizer list if you want more variety in your meal. Only downside is that our waiter, and indeed most of the waitstaff seemed to disappear during the second half of the meal. Had trouble getting the check.Special Features:
- Tasty food and attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2012Tasty food and attentive service made for a very pleasant evening. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- The food was great but theAdventurousFoodieDined on 4/7/2012The food was great but the service was terrible. The waiters are friendly but seem lost and poorly coordinated. Overall the food was so good that I would come back and would recommend to someone who is looking to have a casual dining experience and wants to try good Indian food in San Diego, but would definitely not recommend to someone who is extremely picky about service or expects an extraordinary dining experience which should always include impeccable service.Special Features:
- Had the buffet for dinner;WahooVIPDined on 4/2/2012Had the buffet for dinner; desserts were the best part.
- The food was good but we messedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012The food was good but we messed up and ordered it too spicy. Their scale is a 1-4 with 4 being the spiciest. At Thai restaurants I can normally order a 4.5 and find it to be perfect. At Monsoon we both ordered 2 on the spice scale for our entres and it was almost inedible. The waiter was great and gave us some yogurt sauce to take home to cut the spice. Lesson learned. But over-all the food was good (hummus was excellent) and I would go back again.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, but Serice was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/26/2012I had been here earlier and had nice expectation. Monsoon group have couple of other restaurants in the town, so I did not want to miss this one. But, this time, the service was really poor. The waiter lied about what they would include in the food and gave bad food. Upon asking, he said, we were closing kitchen, so had to do so !!!Special Features:
- Simple but delciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2012The mango soup was delicious. It was easy to get reservations and the service was quick.Special Features:
- Delicious food and fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2012Delicious food and fantastic service! We are never disappointed at Monsoon!Special Features:
- vegetarian masala main courseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2012vegetarian masala main course and naan were very good; mango tikka was too sweet with no mango flavor. service was very good.
- Food is good, not varing muchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2012Food is good, not varing much from the other indian restraunts. This has the best ambiance of them all though. My GF loves sitting next to the waterfall.Special Features:
- The menu offers items manyEdieDined on 2/23/2012The menu offers items many Indian restaurants do not. The menu is organized well--all the different breads under one heading; the curries under another; the choices make it easy to customize for personal preferences.Special Features:
- Excellent service and a menuVralitigatorDined on 2/22/2012Excellent service and a menu that allows us to visualize a journey to Mumbai.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2012We enjoyed a wonderful dinner with excellent service, delicious food and a.wonderful ambiance. Will definitely visit again!Special Features:
- The noise level is a bit loud,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/19/2012The noise level is a bit loud, with bollywood sounds and competing waterfall sounds. The food was ok, nothing amazing.
- The food was excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012The food was excellent, the service great and the ability to sit and share a nice dinner without feeling crowded in and having to yell was exactly what I needed. We will be going back.Special Features:
- Quiet Lunch downtownDoogieDined on 2/12/2012Went to Monsoon for lunch in May. We had the Chicken Tikki Masala and Lamb. Both were flavorful. Also ordered a Mango Lasse which was very sweet. We had a Groupon that we had provided before ordering. When we went to pay, the waitress said the they could not use our coupon. When we asked the manager, he honored our coupon. Overall they were a nice, quiet restaurant for a quick lunch.Special Features:
- Birthday MonsoonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2012The last time I went was to celebrate my husbands birthday, at first when we got there I realized we were more than expected and the staff was very nice about the last minute change. I would recommend monsoon for large groups because they have plenty of tables available and large space. The ambience was energetic but not too noisy, can be for gathering with friends or even just for two people on a romantic dinner outing. The food was excellent we ordered lemon chicken curry, vindaloo and bangalore masala, as for drinks the mumbai mojito was delicious. Again thank you very much to the staff we had a really nice evening.Special Features:
- the ambiance and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2012the ambiance and service were good. the food was mediocre. i asked for very spicy and it had very little spice so i was disappointed. the flavor was good but too expensive for what i got. i have been there before and loved it but not this time.Special Features:
- I like the atmosphere, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/15/2012I like the atmosphere, the design of the restaurant and specially the taste of the food. I'm an adventure seeker, and I like to experience new things, and having a bit of a experience of India's food and what the place look like is sure a new thing for me. The restaurant is really clean and relaxing, and the servers are welcoming.Special Features:
- We love Monsoon's food, especiallyMarleneVIPDined on 1/7/2012We love Monsoon's food, especially having visited from India in October. The portions were generous, too. Wonderful depth of flavors in the sauces. However, the service wsa mediocrfe and slow.
- I hesitated going back tolal1Dined on 1/7/2012I hesitated going back to Monsoon because of a past horrible experience, but we had friends in who requested Indian food. Monsoon was convenient. The food was just okay but much better than my last experience here. I remember when this restaurant opened, the food was fantastic. Prices are high for the quality and portions that you get. Atmosphere okay. Waitstaff okay.
- Best Indian Cuisine in San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/7/2012The Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India is a wonderful restaurant. The atmosphere is very pleasant with the beautiful fountain wall in the background. The many different flavors of spices they use in their foods are incredibly fabulous. The specialty mixed drink menu is not lengthy, but the drinks they offer are certainly the best! We would recommend this restaurant over any other in San Diego for Indian cuisine.Special Features:
- Maybe next time will be betternanakiyeDined on 1/6/2012The vegetarian sampler appetizer and tiny amount of mango lassi made me sad. As a sampler, I was hoping for a variety of tastes and textures but everything was dipped in a batter and fried. Not that I have anything against batter-dipped fried food, but I expected more. We got two tomato-based vegetarian curries (my dining partner is a veggie) that tasted very similar. The spice was there but little excitement otherwise. I don't think I got a good Monsoon experience this time around but would like to return again (wallet permitting) and get a better variety.Special Features:
- Five stars for everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011I loved this place! Food was delicious, Martinis were yummy, and the appetizers were super good! Great service and the lighting was just right! :)Special Features:
- Food was good but it was theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2011Food was good but it was the most expensive Indian restaurant I've been to.
- Food was great, service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011Food was great, service was awesome. Portions are HUGE. Family-style is best here, in the sense of at least 4 people at a table. Waterfall is a little noisy, but the traffic from the street is noisier. Still quieter than anything on 5th Ave. Nice place.Special Features:
- Food was incredible, reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2011Food was incredible, really one of the best meals I've had lately. The service was a little slow (refilling water, checking if we were ok) but aside from that, really a great experience!Special Features:
- The mango soup was special.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2011The mango soup was special. Both dinners were well prepared, served hot and spiced as requested. One soup dish was not the one ordered, but the staff caught that and replaced it.
- Would definitely go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/12/2011We were in SD on a short vacation and were craving Indian food. We stumbled across Monsoon and decided to have dinner there. The menu is large and the food was delicious. We eat Indian about 2 or 3 times per month, and Monsoon definitely satisfied our craving for Indian. The location is within easy walking distance from many of the Gaslamp hotels, the restaurant is well-decorated and clean. The waitstaff was attentive and, most important, the food and drinks were delicious. We would definitely go back on our next visit to SD.
- We waited nearly an hour forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2011We waited nearly an hour for our food. This is Indian food, not some super-complex cuisine that takes a long time to prepare. It was obvious that the server forgot to put in our order, but he claimed "the kitchen is short-handed." Will not go back.