J.R.'s Steak and Grill
5400 Hwy. 121
Colleyville, TX 76034Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: $30 and under
J.R.'s Steak and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jrssteaks.com/
- Phone: 8173551414x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Todd Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Sydney Potter to set up all the details.
- Private Party Facilities: Three private rooms ranging in size from 10 to 150 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sydney Potter 8173551414x
- Entertainment: Special Events: Visit us on our website for special events.
A word from J.R.'s Steak and Grill
For excellence in dining, nothing compares to JR's Steak and Grill in Colleyville, Texas. For lunch and dinner JR's offers a cozy yet casual atmosphere that includes a fireplace, stone walls and non-smoking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
J.R.'s Steak and Grill - Best Restaurants in Colleyville ›
J.R.'s Steak and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)good for groups (19)great for lunch (17)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (16)romantic (16)notable wine list (14)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014We celebrated two birthdays. The food was very good and brought to the table in a timely manner. The service from Amanda was outstanding! She was very knowledgible, friendly and efficient. We will return.Special Features:
- Very Good, But....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014We've dined at JR's several times in the past and really enjoyed it, it this time it was just a bit off for us. It was a very busy night and the noise level was high for the first hour we were there.Special Features:
- FantasticAnniversaryDinnerDined on 5/29/2014Couldn't have been any better. Food and service was perfect!Special Features:
- Needs WorkiLLWaitDined on 5/24/2014J R' S had a really nice feel from greet to eat. The staff was awesome, everyone introduced themselves and was extremely friendly. The actual food however was not much to write about. We ordered a sampler appetizer and the wings were very salty, the other items were nice enough, but I did expect more from the fried cheese for some reason. The dinner presentation could also use some work in my opinion. My wife ordered a baked potato that didn't look very appealing, she also noted that it was not cooked all the way. ordered asparagus with my steak and couldn't even pick up the flimsy thin pieces with my fork. J R s has some work to do in the kitchen, but I think the atmosphere will keep folks coming back until they get it right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef Quesadillas OKTop10VIPDined on 5/24/2014A little unaccostumed to having the meat on any JR's dish come out greasy and sub par. However, that is just what happened on the last trip to JR's. I was hoping for a more substantial and quality beef with more onions-hopefully the quality will improve!
- Good - but not Great YetBHDFWVIPDined on 5/21/2014We had a pretty good first experience here. A varied menu will satisfied a wide range of tastes - the service was adequate - but the atmosphere needs interior design help immediately - it was recently built - but feels like the 80's on the inside. They have recently closed their grill location (a few doors down)and combined it with this steakhouse location - I am not sure where their philosophy will land - it is not a destination restaurant yet - but it competes well with other neighborhood choices.
- Old Meets NewTheCloserDined on 5/18/2014If it has been a few months since dining at JR's, you may be surprised as I was. No more chef specials flown in, white linen table clothes, well appointed table setting, or formal dressed servers bustling about catering to your every need. The food was good and a few selections from the old menu appear to remain. But the new JRs is probably fine for what it is now, a neighborhood up-scale grill. The feel of a chain inside a restaurateurs once established footprint. Bone-in Ribeye was flavorful, Filet was tender but the Oscar style served in an on-plate ladle didn't pour out, but had maybe sit under the lamp a little long waiting. Smashed potato's were great, but temp at arrival varied by individual. The Cheese Grits were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014They made are anniversary very special with great food and service. They brought us cheesecake and wrote happy anniversary on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon is Great!Top10VIPDined on 5/17/2014Ordered the grilled salmon, which has been reduced to only $16.00 including rice and sauce. It was cooked to perfection and fresh-would not hesitate to order it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHardtopleaseDined on 5/11/2014My wife ordered her food well done, however, it was rare, so it had to be sent back. So I ate my meal while she sat there. Her food returned as I was finishing up. So much for a special dinner together.Special Features:
- too expensive for what it offersAla1Dined on 5/11/2014It's too expensive for the quality of food , service and ambience it offers. I went there a long time ago and the experience was very different. I am not sure if it changed owner, but it was quite disappointing indeed.
- Big ChangesBillDined on 5/10/2014Liked JRs as a classy steak restaurant for special occasions. After makeover and restaurant merger, it is closer now to a Buffalo Wild Wings experience. Extremely noisey. Other than waitress who was very nice and capable, service below average. TVs everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud, very casualrureadyDined on 5/10/2014Saturday evening dining @ 6:30 p.m. Extremely loud. As night went on, we felt like we had to yell to hear each other speak. Reminded me of a glorified Chili's restaurant. We took our granddaughter to celebrate her graduation and were surprised to see people walking in wearing shorts and tennis shoes. I suppose if you know what to expect, it is ok. We were planning for a more upscale place to celebrate. Was not special at all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet Still the Best in DFW!Top10VIPDined on 5/7/2014I still look forward to coming here and having the large filet. It is always cooked to perfection, and you can tell the beef has been aged, and is Prime. The polenta, or cheese grits here, are also the best around, and I would highly recommend a side dish to go with the filet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business RestaurantvulcanDined on 5/6/2014Elegant atmosphere, a nice place to have a business dinner.Special Features:
- Home RunOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014The combination of the best of JR's Steakhouse and JR's Grill is a home run! A wide variety of entrees affords the ability to have a burger or a great steak. We had a "Sideways" moment Saturday night; great burgers and a great bottle of wine, yum! While I really like Del Frisco's Grille and have been to many in different towns, there is a new Grill in town, and it is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J.R.'s Steak and GrillChrisDined on 4/26/2014The food was really good, but pricey. I think it is overpriced for a suburban location. We had a filet, and sea bass. Both were delicious and well prepared. The atmosphere was a little noisy, as they have mixed a sports bar with an upscale steak house. The sports fans and the TV noise bled into the dining area. We were expecting a more quiet and subdued ambiance.Special Features:
- Best dessert.delldinnersDined on 4/26/2014The whole experience was wonderful. We had a great waitress and the food was unbelievable. My favorite part was the delicious Pumpkin Waffles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New & Improved JR's Steak & GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/23/2014Enjoyed the no smoking bar. Enjoyed the expanded TV exposure in the bar area. The outdoor dining is a welcome change. Appreciate the reduced prices, expanded hours & the variety of food selections, yet keeping with what we call our standard food choices. The Happy Hour prices added to our dining pleasure. The wall removal in the bar area & the added booths & tables will definitely give diners more seating selections. The food & service still remain of a high caliber. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartender Great!Top10VIPDined on 4/21/2014If you sit at the bar, hopefully Josh is the guy in charge. He makes absolutely, the best mixed drinks in all DFW! I particularly like his Mexican Martinis, in which he always seems to find the perfect balance between the tequila and cointreau.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JR's needs RefreshedlojomyVIPDined on 4/20/2014We chose JR's for Easter Brunch having not been there for awhile. The highlight was our server. She did a great job of attending to us. The food was ok but not as good as we remember. The facility was tired and out of date. Its reached the point where you can see that periodic improvements have been done without an overall plan in mind. This is verified by just looking at the lighting which seem to be updated LED fixtures which are very contemporary and don't match anything else in the building. Their cold light leaves the impression that the owner has placed saving money ahead of creating an attractive atmosphere. BTW, it was Easter and JR's was only about 30% full, while most other restaurants were turning people away.
- Large Filet Rocks!Top10VIPDined on 4/19/2014Love the large filet, exact same quality as we enjoyed with the old JR's, same supplier, only now with a reduced price, and free side of exquisite mashed! The expanded hours make this venue even MORE of an attraction than it was before!Special Features:
- Change is BadaircatDined on 4/18/2014This new Dining and Grill is a bad move. The lighting is weird (Floresent like) and the feeling is very confusing. The menu now is a burger or elegant steak? some people were dressed nice and others were T-shirts, shorts and flip flops.... I ordered my Tuna rare and it came out too cooked. We will drop JR's from our special occasion list going forward. Put it back to the way it was or move the grill experience to the other side. Very poor decision JR...as we always liked your restaurant!
- New Favorite!Top10VIPDined on 4/14/2014I really enjoy the new accessibility of the New JR's. I continue to be impressed by the new menu and food. I believe it is the same quality for less money, with no smoking. I am at a loss to understand why the wine sippers are so appalled to now have patrons who are drinking beer from a mug from a bottle sitting next to them. Truth be told, that is what all of the complaining has been about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took the best of JR's GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014Took the best of JR's Grill menu and combined it with the best of JR's Steakhouse menu. Great idea. I can still have a great steak and not have to dress up for dinner. Glad they kept the best calamari ever on the menu.Special Features:
- New JR's Impresses!Top10VIPDined on 4/9/2014I tried the grilled plank salmon on the new menu, which now sells for $16.00 versus over 20 on the old menu. The new salmon has lost all of that excess seasoning which ruined the flavor of the salmon-the way that they used to serve it, and is a great improvement. So as to this dish, you get a significantly lower price, and an improved dish-a winner on both fronts! I shall return to try some of the other old, improved dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went down hillLovetoeatVIPDined on 4/5/2014I was really confused when my favorite fine dining restaurant closed for remodeling, but was excited to see the new changes. My friend was in from LA and a group of us went here for dinner. We were greatly disappointed, it went from fine dining to bar environment throughout the restaurant. The decor and setup is an eye sore, the quality and taste of food was disappointing. And the server wasn't very knowledgable and you could tell he didn't want to be there. We had been looking forward to trying Jrs out when they reopened. It was a waste of our time and money.Special Features:
- Change for the worse!JohnDined on 4/5/2014What was a great local steak resturant is now a place to eat without identity. No longer special. I don't want to eat an expensive steak dinner next to a crowd eating $8 fried bologna sandwiches. You CANNOT be all things to all people. So sorry you tried. I won't be back.
- Used to be Special now just so-soSatisfiedAgainAndAgainVIPDined on 4/5/2014Well, where do I start? Combining the Steakhouse and Bar & Grill is good on paper, but I don't think it works in actuality. We had a party of 4 and reservations on a Saturday night and things were going great, but then I saw a family of 4, with the dad in shorts and the mom in sweat pants. We used to think this was a 'special' place to go, and now it's a lot more like.... Chili's. The food was good, but I wouldn't say great. I did like that they had a 'Date Night' deal on the menu. We will most likely be spending our special nights somewhere else. If I'm going to be paying $160 for a 2-person meal, I don't want it to be next to a crying 4 yr. old. We've had some great nights there in the past, but won't spend that kind of money there again.Special Features:
- The new J.R.'sPoppaDVIPDined on 3/31/2014We have long been customers of J.R.'s Steakhouse and J.R.'s Grill. The decision to combine the two venues is outstanding. We dined with another couple and two of us had pepper crusted filets off the Steakhouse menu while two had the parmesan fried chicken from the Grill menu. All the food was outstanding, and of course, I could pass on J.R.'s wonderful calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new concept doesn't workjwingVIPDined on 3/31/2014Combining JR Steakhouse and JR's Grill into one restaurant was a mistake. This now seems like going to an Outback Steakhouse instead of a nicer restaurant. Steak was average at best. If you are looking for a casual place to watch a game, might be fine for bar food but no longer a destination restaurant.
- New JRs not worth the tripcrevellerDined on 3/29/2014We were looking for a nice steakhouse for a nice date night. When we arrived we realized they combined the steakhouse and the grill. The service was poor- once we were able to order drinks and appetizers it took 20 mins to finally get appetizer. The steak was overcooked and not good quality. I've had better at Outback. The ambience was more of a sports bar casual atmosphere.
- Disappointed!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014JR's has regrouped and combined the steakhouse with the grill. The only pro was some of the prices had been lowered. But so had the quality. It was very noisy and the wait help was not so attentive. This was my favorite place for a good steak but I will not go back.
- High end price / low end ambiencehighendambianceDined on 3/27/2014This was our first visit to JR's. We usually go to Bob's Steak and Chop for our anniversary. We had heard very good reviews about JR's Steakhouse. To our disappointment, JR's is no longer a high end steakhouse. It's at best a sports bar with $40-50 steaks. The food was excellent, but the ambience and service were not that of Bobs. We paid for a romantic meal served by a Cheddars quality server in a sports bar.Special Features:
- New Name, Same Great Quality!Top10VIPDined on 3/27/2014JR's has upgraded its interior, looking more spacious, and, most importantly, NO SMOKING inside! The filets have gone down in price, and are just as good, in quality, as the old JR's we have become familiar with! As a bonus, the side is now free, and they are generous with the free side of mash, which is also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally, No Smoking!!!Top10VIPDined on 3/24/2014JR's finally has banned smoking inside the bar/restaurant, and has blended the best of both of the menus of the former restaurant and grill, so, aptly renaming the restaurant JR's Steak and Grill. The prices on almost all of the former JR's Steak house entrees have gone down by at least 2 dollars (ie. the filet) and now include a choice of a side, which is new. The grilled salmon has dropped in price all the way down to $16.00 all the way down from 25. The staff tell me that they are using the same suppliers for their food as before, so the quality should be the same, and, as far as I could tell, was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperienceFingersVIPDined on 3/8/2014Everything from the valet to the hostess to the wait staff was exceptonal. Look like they will be remodeling this place soon and I look forward to seeing the finished product.Special Features:
- Great ambianceFirsttimerDined on 3/8/2014Our first to JRs was for our 13 wedding anniversary. The food was fabulous as was the atmosphere and the wait staff. You deffinately get what you pay for. Well done JRs well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksMBradleyDined on 3/7/2014The food was excellent, this was my second time dining with them and a first for my wife, I'd previously been there for business. On my first visit the waitress we had was spectacular, this time around, not so much. He was nice enough but not very attentive and spoke very low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Fine Dining & Special OccOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014The food was prepared exactly as requested. Excellent quality, Excellent Service! Outstanding Restaurant!!Special Features: