Roots The Restaurant
51 Wales St.
Rutland, VT 05701Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Roots The Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rootsrutland.com/
- Phone: 8027477414
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Donald Billings
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Donald Billings and staff are happy to cater private events. For more information please contact email@example.com
A word from Roots The Restaurant
Roots" mission is to create delicious food from fresh, local ingredients. Vermont offers an agricultural bounty of flavorful produce, meat, dairy and other food products that are staples of the Roots menu. Chef Donald Billings is committed to providing affordable meals from minimally processed, locally grown ingredients, including organic crops and humanely raised, pasture fed livestock. Chef Billings and Roots are proud to partner with local providers Boardman Hill Farm, Hathaway Farm, Woods Market, Blue Ledge Farm, Baba Louis Bakery and other smaller scale produce, dairy and maple syrup providers. Visit us at 51 Wales Street in downtown Rutland and enjoy a delicious, wholesome local meal made from the freshest Vermont products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Roots The Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Rutland, VT ›
Roots The Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (18)great for lunch (14)romantic (9)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Even on a night with a showOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2013Even on a night with a show around the corner, when the entire restaurant needed to leave at the same time, Roots is reliable for great food and service. It is better to go on a night when there isn't a show but either way you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots Rocks!jab19Dined on 10/22/2013There were 6 in our group & we all had fabulous dinners & uniquely delicious cocktails. Roots is great for everyone - even vegetarians & G Free folks. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- the localvore food is excellent.thepo957Dined on 10/20/2013the localvore food is excellent. The experience is marred however by the very loud noise levels. It is very difficult to have a conversation in this restaurant. They should do something to change the acoustics.Special Features:
- perfect for two couplesFXFinVTDined on 10/20/2013getting together after many years apart, with a variety of eating requirements. Excellent food, a compelling menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bunchBostonTravellerVIPDined on 10/17/2013Love this restaurant on so many levels - the farm to table theme, the seasonal foods, the simple yet elegant preparations, the comfortable, sophisticated setting and the friendly, helpful servers. It all works and at a price that's reasonable compared to the local competition. My absolute favorite when in Rutland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locally-sourced mealsCharlieDined on 10/3/2013Locally sourced food that is fresh, organic and well-prepared, Roots - The Restaurant offers good service, a nice wine selection - there "by the glass" Cabernet was very good - craft beers and an interesting menu and specials. The only drawback is the room - as a couple, we were seated very close to both the front door and the next two-top. As it was an unseasonably warm October evening, the door didn't present a problem. In the dead of a Vermont winter, however... Background music very good, noise level not overwhelming, exposed brick nice, all-in-all, definitely worth repeat visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roots RocksDaveDined on 10/2/2013Roots is by far the best Rutland area restaurant for high quality, locally grown food, elegantly prepared and presented, in a warm, friendly dining environment. Donald is a master chef, and his creative delicacies are sure to please. An eclectic menu, excellent bar service with an engaging and talented bartender, professional and courteous wait staff, and delicious cuisine make for the best dining experience imaginable. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And doggie makes threeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2013We were visiting Vermont with our dog and needed a dog friendly restaurant. Roots has 3 small tables outside and are happy to welcome your pet. The surprise was the creative menu. When I ordered the chicken carbonara without pasta our waitress suggested substituting spinach. The sauce was delicious with just the right amount of bacon. Wine was excellent and the service was as good as it gets. Have no idea what it's like inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local & delicious!Meadow802Dined on 8/20/2013Roots has wonderful food that is creative, interesting and delicious. The chefs are more than willing to tweak a dish to meet your dietary needs, which is very helpful for people with diet restrictions. (It helps if you alert them to special diet concerns when making reservations.) Portions are just right. Service is excellent, with attentive, but not hovering wait staff. Noise level can be be high, depending on who else is there and the level of their conversations, so it can be difficult to engage in a quiet conversation at your table, but the restaurant seems to be trying to address this issue with various sound-absorbing devices being tried out. Overall, a wonderful place for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service not so good.foodiefanDined on 8/16/2013As always the food was great. Not enough people to take care of customers without a rushed atmosphere. The waitstaff are excellent. Not enough of them. Noise level is off the charts. I overheard a diner next to me say that her husband will not go to Roots for dinner because he "can't hear himself think much less speak."Special Features:
- Great birthday lunchGailDined on 8/10/2013We took our son out for his 21st birthday. The food was fresh and beautifully cooked as usual. We spent a good 2 hours there celebrating and unwrapping gifts with no pressure to move on. The food is always very local; as a matter of fact, the birthday boy had picked the greens himself at the farm he works for! We had a great time!
- Great Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2013The food and service were outstanding. We appreciate the healthy quality of the items offered and the fact that Roots uses local products. Prices are reasonable and fair. Noise level was too high for conversation short of shouting.Special Features:
- Little Gem Near KillingtonCCNHDined on 7/28/2013We're foodies and always looking for places to go near our ski condo in Killington, VT. Roots was a really cool spot with really great food and outstanding table service. They truly are farm to table unlike many of the imposters these days. The fondue is a must try if you're a lover of cheese. Everything was really wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lacking.foodiefanDined on 7/28/2013No matter how efficient, two people are not enough for a busy lunch crowd. The atmosphere was chaotic because the staff were almost running to try to keep up with the demands made on them by their multiple tasks and roles. In spite of their best efforts, the service was slow and inattentive - a shame because the restaurant has great food and great potential. The noise level is off the charts as there is nothing to absorb sound. Rutland needs Roots so I hope the owners will not cut corners by overworking their staff. Word of mouth is powerful in Rutland and good news travels as well as bad.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch!foodiegirlDined on 7/14/2013Met a friend at this restaurant, both of us out of towners. I found the restaurant on-line and loved the menu. We were initially disappointed when told they don't set up the outdoor tables if there is even a chance of rain. That was the only disappointment of our experience! We loved all the great menu selections and both ordered the soup of the day and fish tacos. The soup was a white bean and kale and served with croutons. It was delicious! The fish tacos were wonderful as well and served with a flavorful rice. Our waitress was helpful and did not rush us. Loved the proximity to downtown and were glad to see they are open on Sundays. We would definitely go back to Roots when in Rutland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of its high ratingBillDined on 7/3/2013Our first time to this restaurant we met another couple from out-of-state for the dinner meal. I made reservations a few days earlier and our table was ready when we arrived so wait time was minimal. The general atmosphere was pleasing although we thought the noise level was high. We started with an appetizer of black bean cakes that we all shared and all agreed it was delicious. The waitress was very attentive and courteous. We placed our orders and the wait time was very reasonable. I was a little disappointed with my meal only because it wasn't what I imagined it would be. It was duck but I thought it looked more like steak. The rest of the party said their meals were superb, as good as they had had anywhere. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding experienceVermontersDined on 7/2/2013Wow, this place did not feel like we were in Rutland... The food was delicious - fresh, local, yummy, and beautifully presented. The server was very good - attentive but not annoying, and very knowledgeable about all the food choices. My husband and I found this restaurant online; we had no idea it existed in Rutland (we live about an hour from there), and we went for our anniversary dinner. We will definitely go back, and we've already recommended it to friends.Special Features:
- A bit too noisyDodoDined on 6/25/2013Although menu is interesting and varied, the food and service was great, the noise level is too loud. It doesn't make for a very relaxing meal.Special Features:
- Great place!MungeretteDined on 6/19/2013Roots really is a special place. The staff is amazing, the food is amazing, the space is lovely. I have never had a disappointing meal or experience. Everything is top notch and I am always excited to go back. Donald Billings is incredibly talented and has done an amazing job with the place. He just gets it. Eat there and eat there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2013We greatly enjoyed dining at Roots. The selection of natural and local food was impressive and the service was outstanding. All our questions about the menu were answered by our knowledgeable waitperson, and it's clear that the staff care about their customers. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Love Roots!ToniaDined on 5/29/2013I like that they work on getting their food locally and have unique menu options that change seasonally.Special Features:
- 14 yearsjpyfoodieDined on 5/23/2013Went to celebrate our anniversary which I had.noted in my reservation. We were wished a happy anniversary by our server .... nice touch. Calamari was amazing ... gnocci delish. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich and loved it. Reasonably priced and for the second time now ... a great experience. I share their commitment to local cuisine. Can't wait for our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Diners - We'll be Back!Bruce79VIPDined on 5/22/2013All of our friends from the area have recommended Roots for quite some time and with a trip through Rutland on the calendar we stopped by. What a wonderful decision! All of the food was splendid and the service excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Rutland.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/16/2013Very good food. Nice, small place with very helpful, friendly staff. The approach is to use local products whenever possible. The menu changes seasonally with daily specials. I've eaten there for lunch and dinner. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything but the breadKeeperVIPDined on 5/7/2013We arrived, greeted warmly and quite busy for a Tuesday. Reasonably priced wine list. Food choices are creative but lack a little in quality. Thrvbread they provide tastes like three day old hamburger rolls. However, overall one of the best in. .40 mile radius.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent luncheon menu. Delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Excellent luncheon menu. Delicious, locally-grown food.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/30/2013This was our second visit and it was very nearly as great as the first. My only critique is that there could have been a little more sauce with some of the dishes. Our server, Carrie (sp?) was just terrific - enthusiastic and super personable. I highly recommend Roots to anyone looking for the best dining experience in Rutland.Special Features:
- Tasty food and excellent,ShawnVIPDined on 3/28/2013Tasty food and excellent, friendly service! Salmon entrée and dessert were very tasty and well prepared. The calamari was tasty but slightly oily - only fault with the food. An intimate, nice place with an interesting menu and tasty food - GO!Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013Wonderful lunch. Everything was delicious especially the calamari!!Special Features:
- Great restaurant with localOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Great restaurant with local food. Always an excellent meal!
- Great experience. My husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2013Great experience. My husband loved the tomatillo scallops and my shrimp salad was a perfect combination. And the mint cheesecake was WOW.Special Features:
- Bean and kale soup overseasoned.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2013Bean and kale soup overseasoned. Emu was ordered rare, but parts were medium. Emu is very lean and dries out at medium. Massaged kale salad was outstanding. Beet salad was a traditional one, and well executed. Blueberry cobbler was nice and light but the blueberries were not organic. Perhaps the blueberries served here are not heavily sprayed, but in general, organic is critical for blueberries. Limited cocktail list but decent wine list. All in all, a satisfying meal
- We have been to Roots onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013We have been to Roots only 2 times. We first heard about Roots when the first opened, but have not had the opportunity to visit them until now. We have been for lunch and dinner. Both times we were very impressed with the quality and taste of the food. The service was friendly, helpful and welcoming. It is a small restaurant, so you really get personalized attention.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, great atmosphere,VtdinerDined on 2/26/2013Fantastic food, great atmosphere, wonderful service.Special Features:
- Great food and friendly waitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Great food and friendly wait staff.... Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- Make a reservation tonight!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2013We made a reservation, and upon early arrival we were seated promptly. Service was pleasent and knowledgable. The food presentation was great, as well as it tasted "clean", there wasn't any part of the meal trying to outshine any other. Both myself and my girlfriend's food was delicious, and had well balanced flavors. She had the Emu steak, which was a first and most likely not a last. I had the BBQ pork sandwhich with Berry Quina. I recommend them as a place to experiance something new or come back for an old favorite, definately not our last trip there. A nice diverse menu that welcomes repeat business to get the full experiance.Special Features:
- This very trendy back to basicsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013This very trendy back to basics restaurant features foods from as many local sources as possible. Combine that with a culinary flair that makes even the simple dishes very scrumtious and a classy dining room. Wait staff is exceptionally attentive without being annoying. The customer comes first here which is very unusual for a VT based restaurant. Walking in 15 minutes before scheduled closing of the restaurant did not even raise an eyebrow. The only complaint is that they have become so popular so fast that reservations are commonly needed for dinner on a weekendSpecial Features:
- love this resturant! thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2013love this resturant! this was my second time here & everything was delicous. i love how they source locally & organically. my boyfriend & i splet the cheese fodu which we devoured it was incredible. we also had the mushroom puff & the beet salad, both were excellent. for dinner i had the mushroom raviolli which were like nothing i've had before sooo yummy & he got the emu which he loved as well...bottom line go to roots!Special Features:
- Fabulous Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013We had a fabulous experience at Roots and will certainly return the next time we are in the area! Great lunch, great dessert, fabulous service ... I truly cannot say enough about it! We were there with our 4 month old baby and it was no problem at all, everyone was so friendly and helpful and seated us in a perfect spot.Special Features:
- It was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012It was our first visit to Roots. We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning soon. The food was fabulous.