Muse by Jonathan Cartwright
41 Mary Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Muse by Jonathan Cartwright
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vanderbiltgrace.com/
- Phone: 4018466200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9pm, Friday - Sunday: 6pm - 9:30pm, Bar: 4pm - 11pm - Winter Hours Closed on Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Talented Pianist entertains evenings.
A word from Muse by Jonathan Cartwright
Opened in June 2011 at the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport Rhode Island is an all new fine dining restaurant under the direction of Grace Hotels' Group Chef de Cuisine, Jonathan Cartwright. Muse delivers international food and wine with homage to many of the local culinary traditions of Rhode Island. The hotel's restaurant offers selected dishes created by Chef Cartwright including some classic New England favorites. Grand Chef Relais and Châteaux Jonathan Cartwright is one of the most celebrated chefs in New England. He is also executive chef at Vanderbilt Grace's sister hotel, The White Barn Grace in Kennebunk, Maine – the only AAA Five Diamond and Forbes Five Star dining experience north of New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Muse by Jonathan Cartwright - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Muse by Jonathan Cartwright reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (25)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Not worth the priceFinedineDined on 11/9/2013We thought we were going to get a fabulous meal and impeccable service. That was not the case. We instead had mediocre food and horrendous service. The waitstaff was hard to hear and unprepared. Our wine came without wine glasses, our courses without utensils. Save your money and go to any other restaurant in Newport. Last night we spent a third of the amount we spent at Muse and had an amazing waitress and the food was to die for. Maybe the kitchen couldn't keep up with the restaurant week crowd, but we paid full price and expected full price level food and service. Also, with the amount of people working there, they should have been able to accommodate a 100 table restaurant without any problems.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!MD26Dined on 11/2/2013Just a great night! Food, service, and experience was superb at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2013Food was awesome! Had filet mignon.....melt in your mouth! Dessert pumpkin Soufle was perfect! Quiet romantic table, excellent service! A must when in the newport area. Valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the server,Andrew, toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2013From the server,Andrew, to each course it was- as it has been- exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muse is elegant dining andilovefinediningVIPDined on 11/1/2013Muse is elegant dining and gourmet food preparation in the heart of Newport. Always a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyfine1dinerVIPDined on 10/31/2013Food was mediocre, service rushed and impersonal. So many other fine restaurants in Newport this is not one to waste time or money on.
- SublimeFoodieDined on 10/26/2013The food was absolutely phenomenal. I am very critical when it comes to pricey fare and Muse did not leave me with anything but delight! The service was outstanding, timing was perfect, with a very knowledgable and unobtrusive staff. And the food... Oh my. Words cannot do it justice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemarkableKeithDined on 10/19/2013Everything was absolutely perfect. I can't even remember the last time I had a meal as excellent as that. Granted it was kind of expensive (pris fixe), but well worth it. I guess you do get what you pay for. The service was top notch as well. The woman playing the piano and singing during dinner was exceptional. I can't believe how many songs she knew and she was on point the entire time. Would love to go back there again but would save it for a special occasion. I hope it is as amazing the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely expereince!DrDebDined on 10/12/2013Except for the screaming baby our experience was lovely. Great food and impeccable service. The restaurant really should not allow infants especially on Saturday evenings! Excellent piano player. Ask for the table by the fireplace!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inside a charming Grace hotelPeterDined on 10/9/2013Inside a charming Grace hotel this restaurant is first class. Service was impeccable and the food was classy and tasty. Very romantic to sit by the fireplace. The soufflé desert was done in expert hands. We had halibut and lobster and the main dishes were well done and well presented. Lobster bisque was one of the best I ever had. The only item worthwhile for any improvement mention was the sizes of the oyster: they were not very big but still tasty. Will come back for another meal (preferably the tasting menu) again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muse is all we had expectedTerriDined on 10/1/2013Elegant food and service. Staff attentive to our needs and special requests. This is a lovely restaurant with a chef who enjoys creating new classics from old favorites. Everything was perfect, Clearly Newport's top restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Anniversary DinnerCharlieDined on 9/29/2013This was an excellent experience for me and my husband. The food, service and atmosphere was one of the best we have had. We ate in the Muse and would like to .in their less formal dining area the next time we visit. The roof top bar had the best view in town. We will be coming back again when in town in January. I want my adult children to join us at this time. Our family has been to Paris and this meal reminded me of our dinners during our French vacation. I would encourage all to come eat and stay in this wonderful establishment. Thanks for Everything, Tallahasse FloridaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muse made a family visit specialLadyLCGDined on 9/14/2013Six of us went to Muse on a Saturday night and really had a special evening. The fixed price menu had many choices that made it difficult to pick which is not always the case with a fixed menu. The courses were all beautiful and delicious and the additional intermezzos were a surprise and a delight. Our server Andrew was really friendly without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!Love2eatVIPDined on 9/3/2013Loved the smokey butter poached lobster- am emailing the sous chef for the recipe. We were visiting Newport and this sounded like a neat restaurant although a little pricey, $80 prix fixe - BUT so Worth every penny - food was superb, service impeccable, lots of little touches and the chef even came out to chat - will be the first place we go back to on our next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2013Wonderful dinner, top notch food and service, an indulgence but worth the price for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dinning!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2013We did enjoy the food and service but want to mention Leah, our waitress because her welcoming nature and genuine kindness! This place has an elegant atmosphere with Baccarat candles sticks and fine china. We also enjoyed very much the massages booked at their Hotel, Vanderbilt Grace.Special Features:
- Over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2013This restaurant was terrific. The chef sent us an appetizer and 2 different desserts as a bonus. We got much more than we could have expected. We loved it. It was a quiet little spot out of the hustle and bustle of the busy town. a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dinnerRynoDined on 8/19/2013On a par with any fine dining I have been to in NYC or Vegas. Outstanding evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalKAS1VIPDined on 8/17/2013Not to be missed if you are looking for a truly fine dining experience in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!Ipi65Dined on 8/17/2013One of the very best, if not the best fine dining in Newport. The staff is very solicitous, accommodating and appropriately friendly.Special Features:
- Consistently on the mark!jrkayriVIPDined on 8/17/2013Muse continues to impress with the quality and consistency of their food, presentation and service! No doubt the best overall dining experience in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceboomboxDined on 8/15/2013really nice vibe, samll number of tables which makes it really private and cosy. Good service with some small lsiatkes though...tasting menu was worth while and tasty. Disapointed by the soufle though....people seemed to say so many great things about it I was expecting too much maybe ? would definitely return although the cuisine lacked a little creativity in the end....Special Features:
- Great Service, Unremarkable FoodHopefulDinerDined on 8/10/2013Incedibly delicious lemmon soufle Everyone who approached our table was top notch. Dissapointing apps and entree.Special Features:
- Awesome Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2013The food was absolutely delicious from Appetizer to Dessert and the service was excellent. It was very quiet so I would leave the kids home.Special Features:
- elegant experience, live piano,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2013elegant experience, live piano, excellent service, outstanding food - great for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnwindMcWithDined on 7/26/2013Give yourself a half hour before dinner to enjoy the house signature cocktail with pear purée and lemongrass... Then you will properly unwound for your relaxing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Micro gastronomy that worksOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2013In Newport we certainly have high expectations for serious fine dining, but Muse was a well executed combo of fresh local ingredients and kitchen techniques that were appropriately innovative. Gone are the foams and 15 sauces, replace with good tastes and textures. The smoked lobster was impressive. The oyster with blueberry lemon "caviar" (a spherification) was outstanding. Our wallet was much lighter but we were happily surprised.Special Features:
- Highly anticipated...confusing overOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/21/2013The reviews @Tripadvisor were mostly excellent. Vanderbilt Grace gets great reviews. We were excited to try. Decor is understated modern and nice. Small bar; signature drink was good not great. Welcome, though warm, was confusing. We felt as if we were floundering. But we chatted with a very nice bartender and made our way to hotel rooftop. Thatwas worth the evening!!! Gorgeous views(but that has nothing to do with Muse.) Service was uneven though very polite. Lobster bisque was watery...too bad. Chef's sample carrot soup was FAB!! On the whole the food has too many layers of flavor, always a sign of uncertainty and trying too hard. One entree not cooked to order/they cooked longer, then fine. Could and should have been better. Too bad.
- Amazing food and presentation!beachfoodieDined on 7/19/2013What an absolutely perfect meal! Every morsel of food was so delicious, I did not want the meal to end. I had smoked lobster that was one of the best flavor combos I have ever tasted. My taste buds had party! Wine was great too! Go there if you have the chance. Pricey, but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well....hizzonerDined on 7/14/2013On the expensive side, small dining area and somber ambiance with mostly seniors dining here the evening we visited. Food quality was very good. They prefer gentlemen wear a jacket, which is OK but not when its blazing 90's outside. After dinner, go up to the patio for a great view of Newport harbor. Nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go hungrygolfqueenDined on 7/14/2013I was very pleased with the quality and taste of the food. However, when it says 2 'garnishes' accompany the entree, they really mean garnish not a side portion. I think the fingerling potatoes and spring vegetables weighed no more than 3 ounces combined. Since I don't eat bread to fill up on, I left hungry. A true side of potatoes or starch and vegetables would have been appreciated, especially at the price we paid.Special Features:
- Great Service, Good FoodAli123Dined on 7/12/2013The food here was very good overall although I wasn't completely in love with my entree. The service was great however and there they threw in a couple of unexpected touches with the prix fixe menu which made the meal really nice (though I was extremely full by the end)! It was also nice to have live piano music playing throughout the meal.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGfoodiefiendDined on 7/8/2013I do not understand how there could be one bad review. This restaurant had outstanding food! Though the maximum amount of tables filled while we were there was only 4 and a few ppl at the bar we did not mind. They give little tastings of things in between courses which was nice since the courses are on the smaller side(simply because there was 4 courses.) A must must must is the lemon soufflé it was incredible! You cannot go there without trying it! Simply amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2013Went to Muse with my Mother. The staff was very attentive to her dietary restrictions and needs. All the food was delicious and beautifully presented. Would definitely recommend the restaurant especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2013I took my husband out for his birthday at The Muse. The Vanderbilt Grace is a gorgeous old building that has been beautifully restored and appointed. We were taken to a table in a quiet corner (I had requested such). We had delicious house cosmos and consulted the wine steward to choose a very reasonable riesling to go with our entrees (game hen, and lobster). We were brought an amuse bouche to start, then proceeded through excellent appetizers, intermezzo, entrees and desserts. The food was excellent as was the service... all well worth the prix fixe of $85. My only complaint, which I did tell our waiter about, was that my entree (game hen) was a bit too salty. But in all, a fabulous evening!Special Features:
- No windows and depressingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2013No windows and depressing decor would keep us from coming back for the beautiful food
- A dinner we'll talk about for yearsBonnieJDined on 6/19/2013Beautiful setting, wonderful service & simply the best food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and inventive foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2013Went on a Monday which was very sparsely populated, but given the restaurant has only about 30 seats it did not feel uncomfortable. Ordered the standard 4 course prix fix dinner which did not disappoint. Unusual, contemporary and extremely tasty dishes. Portions are just large enough to feel confortably full by the end of the meal, which included two additional courses as greetings from the kitchen. Impeccable and personal service. Definitely worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most special dinnerHappyHarriDined on 6/10/2013Very attentive service. Imaginative and delicious pairings of garnishes. Excellent choices on the prix fixe. Tasteful extras offered by the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed in our dinner.DonE44Dined on 6/7/2013Very disappointed in our dinner. Tuna was poor quality and inedible. Risotto flavorless and pasty. Menu was a bit confusing as the Bespoke menu lets you mix a selection of fish/meat with a variety of sauces. My husband's dinner was far from outstanding and the scallop and pea appetizer was overwhelmed by the flavor of an excessive amount of peas. Service was outstanding but I could not rate it so because I was unhappy by the lack of reaction to unsatisfactory meal. I was asked if something was wrong with my dinner :I stated that the tuna was sinewy. The server asked if I wanted something different and I declined because my husband was already done. Mgt. did not deduct dinner from check nor did they comp drink or dessert.