Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina
1600 Champa St.
On the 16th Street Mall @ Champa Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.diegosdenver.com/
- Phone: 3033434671x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Walter Terrones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer our entire award-winning menu for your next event. Contact us to customize your mouth-watering choices.
- Private Party Contact: Tony 7193525412x
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on Saturdays!!
Best Value Downtown!!
Reserve your catering needs now!
All-day Saturday and Sunday Drink Specials:
Seven Day's a week for $ 2, 3, 4, and 5!:
Bean Dip $2.00
Con queso $3.00
Chile Fries $4.00
Diegos Nachos $5.00
Diegos quesadillas $5.00
WATCH ALL THE GAMES HERE!!
It’s game time!! Come and cheer on our
Denver Nuggets and Avalanche teams!!
During all Nuggets & Avs' games:
ENJOY DRINKS SPECIALS
$5 Diego’s Frozen Margaritas Daily
Go Nuggets and Avs at Diego’s!
- Special Events: Diego’s Happy Hour
7 Days a Week
$5 Diego’s Frozen Margaritas
$5 Diego’s Signature Margaritas
$2.50 Coors Light Pints
$3.50 Import Pints
1/2 off Select Appetizers
Diego’s weekly specials
7 Days a week specials:
S.I.N. Sundays—Service Industry Night
Margarita Mondays--$5.00 for all Specialty Margaritas
Taco Tuesdays—99 cents Tacos and Bean Tostadas
Thirsty Thursdays—It’s Island Night; $5.00 Tropical Drinks $5 Diego’s Frozen Margaritas, and $5 Diego’s Signature Margaritas, 3-close
Fiesta Fridays--$15.00 Beer Buckets! !!
Kids’ Day Saturdays—1 free kids’ meal with a purchase of an adult’s
A word from Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina
We invite you to experience a touch of Mexico’s finest cuisine in our tropical atmosphere on the 16th Street Mall at Champa Street. Our award winning salsas and green chili will ignite your senses while our margaritas will transport you to the sandy beaches and tranquil sunsets on the water. Ask about our banquet and party facility. We are conveniently located within Performing Arts, Convention Center, and many hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Don't eat here!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2012The music was way too loud to have a conversation. We complained and we were moved to the patio area where the music was still too loud. The house margerita tasted as if it had no alcohol it in. I ordered the chili rellanos that came the food was cold and flavorless. The only good thing about this restaurant was the service.
- I will not visit dinner withoutGEDavisVIPDined on 11/3/2012I will not visit dinner without visiting Diego's: excellent fajitas and outstanding margaritas.
- Food was very flavorful. OurMattVIPDined on 10/25/2012Food was very flavorful. Our server Alan was attentive and helpful with questions on the menu.Special Features:
- Great food, fun atmosphere...greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Great food, fun atmosphere...great service! Prices reasonable, too!Special Features:
- If you want very good MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2012If you want very good Mexican food at reasonable procies this is a great place. They had a 2 for 1 Margarita deal which was great! The wait staff is was very attentive and friendly!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere. We tookOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2012Great atmosphere. We took a large group there and had awesome food and fantastic service! The manager came over and brought us salsa and regularly checked in with us.Special Features:
- yummy mexican grubDodoDined on 8/7/2012Food was great ,but the waiter screwed up my order, took forever to get my side of guacamole. The margritas were super!Special Features:
- We were seated on time, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012We were seated on time, and the service staff were very helpful. They handled two late arrivals with speed. The food was very good, and everyone's order was accurate. We had a good time!Special Features:
- Large Group LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2012We did a company luncheon at Diego's for 20 people. I had made a reservation online about a week prior. We got there and the table was set up and ready for us, and we got a lot of attention! We had plenty of the chips and salsa, and our drinks were constantly being filled. You worry with a group that size about confusion on the orders or something going wrong, but it was so smooth! Our food came out warm, at the same time and delicious - the majority of the people in the group had never been there, everyone loved it and said they'd definitely be back. Thanks Diego's!Special Features:
- We love this place! I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2012We love this place! I have liked everything I have tried off the menu, and the chips and two temperatures of salsa provided is such a nice, and unique bonus. Beyond the food, we really enjoy the staff. It is always nice to be remembered and we feel special everytime we go. Love Diego's!Special Features:
- Finding a mexican food placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2012Finding a mexican food place right in downtown denver was such a treat!Special Features:
- Good salsa bar and MargaritascoviewsDined on 5/5/2012We went to Diego's on Cinco De Mayo, so it was very busy. The atmosphere was most certainly "bar" like... with some folks needing to be cut off. However, our overall experience was good. We sat in an indoor/outdoor area which was a bit more casual. The food was good, however, the service was a bit slow.. Then again, with how busy they were, I guess it was to be expected. Our waitress was very nice and apologetic about any delays. We had 6 in our party, and all were satisfied with their meals. Nothing spectacular, but good. I liked the salsa bar (nice selection) and the Margaritas. I'd go again.
- Things were just okay, notdowntowndinerVIPDined on 3/5/2012Things were just okay, not spectacular. Service was VERY slow.
- Went during 5280 week. FeltOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/4/2012Went during 5280 week. Felt that the 5280 offering was misleading. The text read that the special menu was $52.80 for 4 people. When we got there, we realized that the special menu was $52.80 for 2 people. The $52.80 menu for 4 was different food choices. Those choices were not special or interesting. Very average. Felt mislead. The service was very good with the exception of delivery of cocktails. One cocktail came after delivery of appetizer and the pitcher of margaritas were not delivered until after the dinner food was delivered. The resturant was not very busy, so this was confusing. The odor of the resturant smelled like stale standing water.Special Features:
- When we arrived, our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2012When we arrived, our server told us that the 5280 menu posted online was not available and we could make a mini-combo (something available on their normal menu). This was not as appealing as the 5280 menu. They did still offer the appetizer (Green Chile Fries), but we only got one choice for dessert, not the choice of 3 like the online menu stated. This was even more frustrating when we saw the table next to us ask for 5280 and got offered the menu posted online. They did still offer the pitcher of margaritas at a discount and they were pretty strong. It was $52.80 for four, so not a bad deal overall. However, they wouldn't let us just do it for 3 people, so we paid for 4 and took home the extra meal.Special Features:
- The food was not good at all.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2012The food was not good at all. Everything was too large of portions and tasted like it was straight out of a box. Although out server was nice, overall he was very forgetful and slow.
- Excellant food and scenary.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2012Excellant food and scenary. Our waiter, Marcus, was absolutely adorable. We will definately dine with Diego's again in the near future.Special Features:
- We eat here at least twiceMLOWEVIPDined on 2/13/2012We eat here at least twice a week and lovvvve it!!! I could eat here everyday! The food is delish and the service is amazing - everyone is super friendly and goes above and beyond to make sure everything is perfect! It's our favorite lunch spot downtown!
- Service was terrible, restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012Service was terrible, restaurant was half empty and food took 30 minutes to arrive, then 2 out of the 5 meals ordered were wrong. It appeared to be very clean and well kept, and the margaritas were good, but the food was not very good.
- We were please to find Diego'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012We were please to find Diego's open because of the snow storm. Thought for a moment that the service might suffer, again due to the snow storm because they were quite a few people that didn't make it into our work but the service was great as usual just like the food. Thanks again!Special Features:
- While Diegos had a great atmospherecogirlDined on 12/31/2011While Diegos had a great atmosphere, the server was inexperienced and the food was poor. I ordered a tamale, which was dry. I ordered chile on the side and it never came. Our drinks were not refilled (alcoholic which brings in a lot of revenue for the restaurant). I was a bit disappointed for a downtown restaurant.
- We went to Diegos for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011We went to Diegos for our New Years Eve dinner w/2 other couples, and we had a great dinner. Good food and good location!Special Features:
- the wine was quite priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011the wine was quite pricey for the quality.. but it was New Years Eve and we did not have reservations before the 30th. We were able to get in at 7pm and the food was okay.
- The fried food was cold andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011The fried food was cold and undercooked, I didn't eat any of it. The drinks were great and service wasn't bad!Special Features:
- Service was slow. For a lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2011Service was slow. For a lunch hour one could be delayed for more than an hour.
- Diego's is a bar with someOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2011Diego's is a bar with some food, not a restaurant. The appetizers were terrible enough that we left and got dinner somewhere else.
- Not a restaurant i would returnMAMADined on 10/1/2011Not a restaurant i would return to - smelled like sewer inside the restaurant - We went for my daughter's birthday and I was not impressed at all.
- Good Mexican Food DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2011We went there because the food is good, prices are resonable and it is convenient to our work. The online reservation worked really well- they had our table for 10 waiting for us.Special Features:
- This is the worst Mexicandine22jhVIPDined on 9/4/2011This is the worst Mexican food and service I've ever had in Denver. I cannot believe they are on open table. This is basement joint in a horrible part of town. Do not waste your time.
- The chips and salasa are reallyMystic88VIPDined on 8/28/2011The chips and salasa are really very tasty, the entree (I had a bean chimi) was a bit bland. The margaritas tart and strong, just the way I like them.Special Features:
- Great food, wonderful service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2011Great food, wonderful service. They have the best queso.Special Features:
- Good Food - OK MargaritaJCEgVIPDined on 8/2/2011Went for birthday lunch on Tuesday. I ordered a custom combo plate of guac tostada, chimichanga, and cheese enchilada for around $10-11. I enjoyed them all as well as free chips & salsa - appreciated came with both mild & hot salsa choices. Service was good & friendly staff. House Margarita was free as had joined their e-mail list & was my b'day - drink was mediocre though. Will definitely go back for lunch. Very grateful they did not sing to me!Special Features:
- Went to Diego's on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2011Went to Diego's on Friday night for a date with my hubby-to-be. Wonderful ambiance. Service was pretty good and the food was creative & delicious. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The food was a nice supriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/28/2011The food was a nice suprise for mexican, and had a variety to choose from. Glad to find a place downtown that is awesome. Can't wait to go try again when in Denver, will be one of our stops.Special Features:
- Straight-forward Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2011Diego's is a pretty straight-forward Mexican restaurant. No big surprises which is, in general, a good thing: the food is pretty straight-forward, the service is good, and the ambiance is fine. We had Presidente margaritas which were very good - no skimping on tequila which was appreciated! Tortilla chips were free and plentiful, and a complimentary salsa bar with ~6 different flavors of salsa was a nice touch. We ordered the nachos supreme with chicken to start, partially as a vehicle for the variety of salsas; somewhat strangely the nachos supreme came AFTER our meals were brought out. For my entree, I ordered the chile verde which was described as "award winning" on the menu. It was good, not spectacular. Overall, a good restaurant.
- Thank God for MargsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2011I had a party of 18 and made a reservation earlier in the week so that they would have plenty of time to prepare. The food was great and the margs were even better but when it came time to pay our bill it was a disaster. We had asked the server to split our checks before dinner which he said was fine. He told us at the end that this was not possible. We were fine with that but were all paying separate. It took him an hour and half to figure it out and there was no manager onsite to assist. Several people in our group work at other restaurants using the same system had to literally help him collect our payment. They also advertised $5 House margaritas on Fridays and we were charged full price.
- Questionable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2011While the food was good and everyone seemed to generally enjoy the experience, we were a bit disappointed in the service. We had a party of 11 and had made reservations for 15. We were a couple of minutes late and they had already broken down our table and had to re-set it (not a huge deal, it just took a couple more minutes). However, we were VERY slow to be served. They didn't take our order until we'd been there about 25-30 minutes and we didn't have any drinks (not even water) until we'd been there over 45 minutes. This would maybe be understandable if they were incredibly busy or we hadn't made reservations, but there were only 2 other groups in there. The staff were moving quickly, but didn't appear to be doing anything. Frustrating.Special Features:
- Great Food but Service needs an UpOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2011My wife and I tried out Diegos since it was new and near the Denver Center of the Arts... The Diegos' Style Shrimp was rich and inviting... and my wife loved the #2 combo. Portions are large, and the staff mostly attentive.... the only issue we had getting our check with took the better part of 10 minutes.. While we waited we watched the manager coach his staff trying to bring them together as a better team... given a couple more weeks I'm sure this place will become much better.Special Features:
- Building itself was well pastJeffBVIPDined on 4/1/2011Building itself was well past prime. Must have spent $1.49 updating restaurant.Special Features:
- this restaurant is large andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2011this restaurant is large and spacious. The food was very good, with large sharable portions. It also has a nice bar. I would dine here again.Special Features: