Main Street Garden & Cafe
3101 N. Main St
Soquel, CA 95073Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Main Street Garden & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mainstreetgardencafe.com/
- Phone: 8314779265x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm-9pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm- 9:30pm
Saturday lunch :11:30am - 2:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:30am- 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Chris Carloni
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Last Thursday of the month 4 courses dinner to discover Italy regions, their food and wine pairing. First prix fixe dinner starts Thursday 7/31. We will exploring Tuscany, Marche and Umbria regions
A word from Main Street Garden & Cafe
Main Street Garden & Cafe is located in downtown Soquel, CA and serves California - Italian cuisine inspired by local and seasonal ingredients. We use vegetables, herbs, and flowers harvested from our onsite garden. To book a reservation for 8 persons or more, please call the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Main Street Garden & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Soquel ›
Main Street Garden & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (30)great for outdoor dining (25)special occasion (25)romantic (24)good for groups (14)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)hot spot (3)Show More
- Deliciouso!AdelaideDined on 4/20/2014I've taken my mother here for lunch and now Sunday brunch. The Bellini were delicious as a start, and the outdoor seating is welcoming and incredibly pleasant. The owner greeted us with true Italian warmth and made sure we were happy with everything. Our server was kind, friendly, knowledgable, and efficient. This was all at the end of a busy Easter Sunday, which makes it even more impressive. The menu is interesting and pleasantly varied and features vegetables grown in the garden that you can actually walk through. I had the best gnocchi I've ever eaten and my mother's pappardelle (flavored and colored with fresh borage leaves!) was exquisite. The focaccia seemed to be house made as well. I hope eventually to see what dinner is like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014Patio dining looking out onto a large grassy space surrounded by fruit trees, vegetable gardens and local plants. Food was exceptional, with greens from the garden. Beautifully presented with edible flowers, unusual seasonal combinations of flavors. Definitely a unique experience in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Burrata!loomzoomDined on 4/19/2014Friendly staff greeted us and suggested a glass of wine and garden stroll while our table was being readied. It was lovely, and you could "see" where the food that would soon arrive on your table. This is "slow food" and leisurely dinner, do not expect fast food....that is not the point of this restaurant experience. We chose the Monterey Ranch 32 Pinot Noir and it was perfect for both the Smoke Pork shoulder (fall apart good!) and Fried Whole Trout with Manilia clams. The fish was fried with no breading just a dusting of sea salt, perfection with the broth and clams. Evening was brought to close with a soft and creamy panacotta topped with fruit and coffee...we will be back!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationlancerdinerDined on 4/17/2014Our new favorite dining experience. We have been multiple times and never disappointed. The food is fresh and expertly prepared. Keep up the good workSpecial Features:
- Favorite Spotfab1Dined on 4/12/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the area. The restaurant combines delicious ingredients into elegant, but simple creations. The Pork Belly pizza was simple and sumptuous, and the goat cheese panna cotta was so creamy and decadent! Even the bitter green salad was unbelievably good. To top it off the "wine for the day", an old Granite Ridge Vineyards cabernet, made us think we had driven to Italy!Special Features:
- So many wonderful flavorsLadiesnightoutDined on 4/5/2014Everything I eat was delicious. Can't wait to eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not dissapointVeggie26Dined on 3/29/2014This was our second visit and we were both pleasantly surprised (again) by tge innovative yet comforting food experience. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service.WinedudeDined on 3/7/2014We went with friends for my wife's birthday. This was our third time here and both food and service were great. I had trout and she had clams on some homemade pasta that was both tasty and perfectly al dente. The service was great. Our friends were a tiny bit late and the staff made sure we were comfortable with some wine whilst waiting. Overall, a fabulous experience.Special Features:
- It's so great to have a neighborhooKauailoverDined on 3/1/2014It's so great to have a neighborhood restaurant that is reliable, fresh, and comforting, from both the food and the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itEricDined on 2/28/2014Main Street Garden cafe is one of my favorite dining locations in Santa Cruz. They grow many of their own veggies and herbs in the back garden and the meat is sourced right up the hill. In fact a chalkboard shows where all of their food served that evening came from. The service and food was excellent. If they have it on the menu, try the pork shoulder. Tap it with a fork and the meat falls off. A larger wine selection would be nice, but the wine they do serve is primarily local and there are always a few I enjoy. You might be able to drop in without a reservation mid-week, but reservations are best.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerBetsDined on 2/22/2014Love the food especially the house made buratta. I recommend this place highly. Can't wait for better weather for outdoor dining near the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fresh FoodDinner4twoDined on 2/21/2014We decided to try this spot because we could walk to it from the house. Once inside we found the ambiance comfortable and inviting along with some great smells coming from the open kitchen. I'm not usually a proponent of an open kitchen because usually you wind up looking at stuff that detracts from the overall experience (dirty dishes, poor hygiene of the cooking staff, etc.) However, this time it was a pleasant surprise to see fresh herbs and vegetables being brought into the kitchen from the garden and to watch them become part of the meal. The wood-fired brussel sprouts ( this vegie is not usually something I personally like) were outstanding and had a great smokey flavor paired with a tangy salsa verde. Overall a delightful adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a Sweet Spot!!franKVIPDined on 2/20/2014We had 5 for my birthday....soooo nice...what a great little tuck-away...beautiful garden in the back for the freshest greens and veggies...they had chickens until the City of Soquel decided they couldn't...another DUMB call from local government. We are headed there tonight for another dip into their interesting menu!! Great place to take a sweetheart or out-of-town guests...pure CA!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful diningEliHDined on 2/19/2014Main Street Garden & Cafe is a wonderful restaurant. We especially appreciate the homemade quality of the food, including meats and sausages and breads and the home-grown greens and vegetables (grown in the garden of the restaurant, which also offers outdoor dining). The wood fired pizza/bread oven allows for some of the best pizzas in the Bay area. The restaurant is elegant, intimate and comfortable, and the service is impeccable and informed. It is obvious that the staff and management of this restaurant deeply care about quality and presentation. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really bad foodTinaDined on 2/15/2014We started with the Dungeness crab appetizer which was over-fried (dark color) and not tasty at all. Then, both our entrees were a disappointment. Mine was the pastry filled with vegetables and ricotta. It had a flavorless sauce and was generally bland. My husband got the crab mixed with squid in ink fettuccine. He ate less than half of it before he pushed his plate away. I like the idea of the restaurant having garden fresh produce and supporting a neighborhood local restaurant but when seeking out fine dining with higher prices, I expect the food to taste better!Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceAllieDined on 1/24/2014This is my husband and my new favorite restaurant. The staff is attentive, the ambiance is warm and inviting and most importantly, the food is delicious. They use fresh, local ingredients - some of which they grow themselves! We had a wood fire oven pizza, a couple of salads to start and the artichoke and kale pot pie. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little spot in soqueltryinafindtha1Dined on 1/18/2014A little disappointed with the sorry excuse for diners in this restaurant. They were all out of the trout which was one of only three menu choices. However the beef dish I ordered was quite good and the waitress comped me a soup since they were out of everything which made up the difference for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHonuDined on 12/31/2013We had a New Year's Eve dinner here. There were three of us so we each ordered a different item, so we each tasted everything...everything was deliciousSpecial Features:
- the best birthday dinner!javonneVIPDined on 12/20/2013The food was fabulous and service delightfully attentive without being invasive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine dining in SoquellocalDined on 12/13/2013We take out-of-town and in-town friends to Main Street when we want excellent local food and some quality time together without a lot noise and fuss. We're regulars! Thanks guys and keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Pig roast - Lots of funGregDined on 12/8/2013MSG had a pig roast this Saturday. It was fun! Prix fixe and a glass of wine included. Pork was roasted in their pizza oven and carved expertly by Chef Chris. Sides included roasted cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cannelloni beans with kale. Pork was separated between shoulder and leaner cuts. Sauces included a hogwash, Carolina red bbq and a verde sauce. Home made bread and panna cotta gelato for desert. Service was attentive. Food was great. Main Street Garden cafe is always a hit.Special Features:
- Dependably Delicious!AfficianadoDined on 12/5/2013Everything's good...wonderfully dressed salads, starters...interesting and adventurous, wood fired pizzas...generous and flavorful, entrees...seasonal and thoughtfully prepared, desserts...always one that catches my fancy. The owners are always there to see to it that everyone is satisfied. We're lucky they're in lil" ol' Soquel !Special Features:
- Every time we eat here wejillcDined on 11/22/2013Every time we eat here we can count on having a great meal. We have taken a number of friends, and nobody has been disappointed. The padron pepper and burrata/eggplant appetizers were memorable. The restaurant was full by the time we left and still it was quiet enough. We prefer to eat outside in the summer because the garden is so lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Place; Just OK Food.MaryDined on 11/13/2013Lovely restaurant in a remodeled small home. Italian food was somewhat uninspired overall although their soup was excellent.Special Features:
- Fresh and local deliciousnessAmieDined on 10/26/2013My friends and I enjoyed the cozy atmosphere and menu options featuring local ingredients (and even ingredients from the restaurant's on-site garden). The portions were just right, and left us feeling satisfied, but not stuffed. Be sure to get dessert...it's yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double Date NightMom4everDined on 10/25/2013Great date night spot. My husband I have been there twice for dates. This last one was a double date ;) had a blast ;)Special Features:
- Great local restaurantscfishmonDined on 10/18/2013Found out about this place from going to a local brewery that serves their food on a limited basis. All local grown and fresh. Had a wonderful dinner with a great bottle of Italian wine. Will go back again, one of Santa Cruz's hidden gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDatenitedinnerDined on 10/18/2013We've eaten here several times before and have usually had excellent service & wonderful food. This time,however, even though there were several empty tables and what looked like plenty of servers, the service was terrible. Our salads were so overly salted they wete almost inedible. And when I asked for a glass of chardonnay, I was told that they weren't serving any chardonnay wines right now. Hard to imagine a restaurant only having a pinot grigio as an option for a white wine. Just not a great experience...,
- Good overall but they wereRegularVIPDined on 10/11/2013Good overall but they were busy. Went out of their way to accommodate out late reservation but we were forgotten a couple of times. Food as usual was quite good.Special Features:
- Country Italian gemBetsDined on 10/4/2013We loved this restaurant! Homemade pasta was outstanding as was the buratta. Service was friendly and attentive. The pizza was perfect. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food!AnneDined on 10/4/2013Yummy food, beautiful garden patio but the chairs are uncomfortable. I will definitely go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a garden settingVeolchickDined on 10/4/2013We love Main Street Garden Cafe. The patio is our favorite spot for a table as you are facing the garden. They have ample heat lamps if it gets chilly. Their organic garden is beautiful and it's fun to go see the chickens. They have a wood fired pizza oven and make some of the best pizzas in town. The wine list is small, but it's a pretty good selection. The owner makes an effort to talk to each table and see how you're doing. This place makes you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful diningRobSDined on 10/3/2013The unique menu and delightfully fresh dishes are just the best!! The fresh pasta is so very light, home made gnocci are superb and the garden fresh veggies.... delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeSandyDined on 10/3/2013Never been before and came for SCRW. Appetizers were good. Burrata kinda hard to eat, should use a different bread or thicker piece. Papardelle was excellent. Panna cotta was to die for! Flourless chocolate torte could make you die - of thurst. Too dry, too bad. Overall, a good experience. Slight problem with the bill; but nothing too terrrible, fortunately I caught it before we left! I would return to experience their regular menu.Special Features:
- Hidden gem for SoquelTKingfromBenLomondDined on 10/2/2013I honestly hadn't heard about Main St. Garden & Cafe before I received an email for a chance to win a free meal there during restaturant week. The menu intrigued me and I suggested it to my husband and sister. The whole evening, the setting, the food, the wine, the ambience was perfect! We have told several of our friends, including my FB friends, about our wonderful experience. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality food expertly preparedorganicquestDined on 10/2/2013My wife and I do not get to dine out much due to the demands of caring for our special needs son. Also, we have become very concerned about the quality of food being served today. So, when we do dine, we seek out those restaurants that try their best to provide good, wholesome, locally sourced organic foods as much as possible. Main Street Cafe does this, and more. Exquisitely prepared menu items bring out just the right flavors in their dishes. Good quality, wholesome food, expertly prepared. What more could one ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchAlexisVIPDined on 9/22/2013Once again we enjoyed a delicious lunch at this wonderful spot in Soquel. Our guests were truly delighted to be introduced to Main Street Cafe. The servers were not only knowledgeable but also polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another nice meal!RegularVIPDined on 9/13/2013Enjoyed the simple but tasty salads and olives. Local salmon entrees were outstanding.Special Features:
- Wonder experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013It was just a night out to dinner with a couple of friends, but the experience at Main Street Garden was really special. The food was wonderfully presented and knowing the ingredients are locally grown and organic made it that much better. The service was the best! I highly recommend a visit to Main Street Garden - it's truely a neighborhood gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in S Cruz CountyjillcDined on 8/24/2013I wrote a rave review on Yelp. I emailed all my friends in Santa Cruz County to recommend it. The meal was PERFECT , we brought foodie friends from San Francisco and they were wowed. We've eaten there a number of times and will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.