South Park Cafe
108 South Park
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
South Park Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southparkcafe.com/
- Phone: 4154957275x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Ward Little
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties require a "buy-out" of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Marty Berg 4154957275x
A word from South Park Cafe
South Park Cafe has been serving rustic French cuisine since 1985. Gourmet Magazine called South Park "One of the best little French restaurants in San Francisco". Michael Bauer says "Feels like a little slice of Paris and the food is as good as ever".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Park Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (34)romantic (33)special occasion (23)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (6)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not as good as it used to be...JaniceNDined on 3/21/2014We have gone to South Park for years, but the last couple of times -- the food has been pretty disappointing. I started off with the field greens salad -- it was just that....lettuce lightly dressed w/a very bland dressing. Would have benefitted from at least a crouton for eight bucks. Next I had the Skirt Steak and fries -- it was VERY tough and gristly. The sauce was not tasty and had a bad aftertaste. The fries were not anything special. I followed that with the peach and coconut sorbet. The coconut was good, but the peach sorbet tasted like it was made w/canned peaches and had the color to match. We won't be back.Special Features:
- food vs ambiancepegan5bVIPDined on 3/19/2014Dined @ South Park for decades and sad to see it has not decided whether or not to focus on food, service or ambiance [read, noise level]. I believe it could be all three, but thus far the food is typically 4 star, service uneven and noise level ridiculous.Special Features:
- Always delightfulJesseVIPDined on 3/11/2014Great food, with very personal service. The closest you can get to a Paris bistro in San Francisco. You will never be disappointed. Excellent duck. Fabulous pig salad. Lovely first courses. Best hanger steak-frites in town. Very nice selection of wines. It's very satisfying to come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice experienceyarnloverDined on 3/1/2014We enjoyed the experience. Good service. Food was very good, but not exceptional. Reasonable value for the money. We will go back.Special Features:
- Excellent dininghenartsVIPDined on 2/18/2014As a business traveller I eat alone mostly. I had a nice table, in this cosy little restaurant. The atmosphere is good, friendly. The food was excellent, this is a place where I will return if back in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent...BillDined on 2/15/2014Seated right away with reservation, service very friendly but not overbearing. Menu selection diverse, good wine selections and pairing advise. Food delivered promptly and hot, excellent flavors. Could use one or two non-dairy (for lactose intolerance) dessert choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a location where modernTommyDined on 2/14/2014In a location where modern dining establishments rule the roost, South Park Cafe is refreshingly quaint and exudes neighborhood charm. The food is classic French bistro fare, and I very much enjoyed my pork belly appetizer, and the duck was also cooked perfectly. With a few minor upgrades to the interior (i.e. china, flatware, linens, and a fresh coat of paint), my "ambiance" rating would have been higher. With a menu that included more seasonal and local legumes, South Park Cafe could really go above and beyond a simple neighborhood dining establishment. I always ask myself if I'd return to a restaurant, again when I write a review. My answer is yes - it'll be exciting to see what developments might take place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do the prex fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2014This is a relatively quiet, not inexpensive but not expensive, neighborhood bistro. Great food, good wine list, and charming. The prex fixe is the best way to go. Wonderful meal, relaxing and delicious. Parking is a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still excellentCucumberDined on 2/6/2014I hadn't been to the South Park in years. I read the positive reviews and decided to give it a try. It stood up well to the reviews. The remoulade of celery root and beets was basically crudite, and was perfectly dressed and seasoned. Simple vegetables prepared such that they were exquisite. The Artic char was cooked perfectly and the accompanying vegetables went well with it and were also delicious. The service was prompt and attentive without being intrusive. It has an ambiance of a quiet neighborhood cafe, which I love in comparison to trendy, noisy, hyper kinetic venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent winnerkurtdismasVIPDined on 2/1/2014have been dining at south park for well over twenty years. great food, comfortable surroundings, attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- Take you awayPPis60VIPDined on 1/28/2014The atmosphere of the neighborhood, the decor of the restaurant the small but perfect menu make this place just complete comfort and makes you feel like you've been taken away from the hustle bustle. Enjoyed the overall experience, and no complaints about the food which is above average, not the greatest I ever had however. The duck stood out though.Special Features:
- Great spot. I go once a yearOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/21/2014Great spot. I go once a year when I am in San Francisco on business. I have dined at South Park now for 25 years in a row.Special Features:
- neighborhood gem - wonderfulmaryVIPDined on 1/21/2014neighborhood gem - wonderful place to bring out of towners (which we did) - we loved the good food and the intimacy.Special Features:
- great french bistroluv2dineVIPDined on 1/15/2014excellent food, good service, great neighborhood find.Special Features:
- always goodzingeoffVIPDined on 1/15/2014South Park is an old reliable...food and wine are always delightful, with fresh items served quickly, presented well, and always delicious....Special Features:
- Amazing find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014I saw this featured on check please, Bay Area, and wanted to try it... I was not disappointed! The duck leg confit was amazing, and my girlfriend got the steak and frites in this delicious bourguigone sauce... wow! Service was attentive and speedy --- also, great wines available by the glass or bottles. All in all an A+ experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service are always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013Consistently great food and service. I have been here many times over the past dozen or more years and South Park Cafe never disappoints me.Special Features:
- Perfect NYE dinnerFatSoulDined on 12/31/2013Stopped in for New Year's Eve. I was looking for a small neighborhood spot. I looked on line and saw nothing but great things about this place. I won't go on to tell you the specifics about what we ate, but what I will say is that everything was amazing. No tourists, purely locals. This is why you dine in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BistroJosephDined on 12/28/2013This quiet, tasteful restaurant serves a well-considered menu of French bistro dishes. The frites are unusually good. Great wine list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waitress was a littleRobinDined on 12/21/2013The waitress was a little rough. She over charged us by $45. When we told her and came back and over charged us by $15. Finally we got the bill straight and she was so sorry and we were embarrassed in font of our guests. What a way to celebrate the holidays.
- Always a tasty mealLaurelleDined on 12/14/2013South Park Cafe does not change their menu very much, which is just fine with us. We always enjoy our meal at this little hidden gem and look forward to returning again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive Franco-Cal cuisineJeeKayDined on 12/14/2013We've been coming here for about 20 years and have never been disappointed. The food is always newly imagined and well executed. (although once in a while I do long for dishes I've had in years past--the boudin noir comes to mind!) That said they always have a couple of traditional bistro dishes, and an amazingly well priced list of wines by the glass. It's a quick trip to Paris for the price of a meal. Definitely worth visiting for a special occasion or an evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Trying too hard maybeNeighborDined on 12/12/2013South Park is a great place and I was really hoping and hoping the café would be terrific. It is not a bad atmosphere, so I think they know what they were doing but the food was not so good. The chicken was smothered in a sauce they basically tried to hide the chicken (which was cooked nicely). Same with the duck. The wine list is short but very reasonable. So, I wouldn't write the place off, but they need some help. In short, I'd like to go back but I would need to hear that some changes were made before I did so--and I live close by, so I would.
- Great FoodJackieBDined on 11/26/2013I really like the relaxed environment of this restaurant. As long as the Giants aren't in town, parking is easy.Special Features:
- NICE DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2013Very nice dinner. Both had the bass dish. Very tasty. Waiter was somewhat subdued, and I think his English was not good, but the meal and wine were fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable, consistently goodAsylDined on 11/16/2013I have always liked the cuisine and ambience of the restaurant. My friends and I would go more often if the host projected less of an arch attitude. A smile and warm greeting ("Good evening") would work a lot better than a quizzical, pursed-lip, nose-in-the-air attitude, like, "Can I help you with something?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2013I found this place to be good, but not great. I had read good things about the pig salad, but it was a basic salad with some great hints of saltiness from the pig. I was expecting more meat. The steak was very good, Cooked perfectly and tasty. The peanut butter sundae was not good. Two of us ordered it and joked that they did everything in their power to ruin the very tasty ice cream. The brandied cherries and chocolate syrup somehow ruined the dessert. As someone who loves both of those things, I do not know how they did it.
- excellent neighborhood bistroJmsfoVIPDined on 11/15/2013if you haven't been to South Park, it is a lovely neighborhood. They saved us a table by the window, possibly because it was my friend's birthday. They remembered a candle in the dessert. Prix Fixe menu a very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little Bit of Paris in SFlocaldinerVIPDined on 11/13/2013Excellent French bistro food in charmn location. Highly recommend this excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- Paris in SFPAGourmandVIPDined on 11/9/2013South Park Cafe has been a beacon of French light for many years and it continues to please. Everything is delicious, prices are reasonable, the wine list is great (a beautiful Sancerre for $10 a glass), and service was perfect. Beaucoup de plaisir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food...JPeazyDined on 11/2/2013The food was amazing. The pig salad was definitely one of the best salads I've ever eaten and the braised rabbit was very tasty. I ended up going back and having the grilled hanger steak, which was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I have made itAbertonianVIPDined on 11/2/2013My wife and I have made it an informal project of ours to try every French restaurant in the city of San Francisco in recent years, and South Park Cafe jumps immediately towards the top of our leaderboard. The chef here really knows how to bring out the very best in food with several interesting dishes that are beautifully seasoned. We had the lentil & bacon soup and the pig salad for appetizers, both of which were outstanding. Our entrees (duck and chicken) were also excellent. And the profiteroles and thr Fuji apple crepes that we had dessert were among the best we've ever had in a French restaurant. If you're a little tired of a dessert menu that always offers creme brulee and apple tart, you'll enjoy the alternative offerings here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for vegetariansarthurDined on 10/19/2013One choice and it was very spicy. Everything else was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a neighborhood gem...EastBaycouple2Dined on 10/12/2013We should branch out more when we eat in the city but keep coming back to South Park Cafe. It's like being in Paris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming and deliciouscislandDined on 10/10/2013our family, which includes a 14 year old who is not always easy to please, enjoyed a wonderful birthday celebration here last week. in a city filled with meticulously decorated restaurants and menus that take themselves a bit too seriously, south park cafe is a refreshing departure. comfortably decorated and romantically lit, it feels like a neighborhood bistro in paris. the french fare is straight forward and delicious. we loved the trout salad, baked goat cheese, steak frites, cous cous and the mahi mahi. all were delicious and the service was attentive and helpful. looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/9/2013South Park is a very nice, comfortable neighborhood restaurant. It has been one of our favorite places to dine in SF for many years. The food is always good, wine list matches up well with the menu & the servers are always pleasant & helpful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, excellent restaurant!!!horseffDined on 10/3/2013I have been eating at South Park for close to 20 years and always love it. I have a timeshare in San Francisco and try to eat here whenever I am in the city, but don't always make it because sometimes my only free evening is on Monday, when they are closed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very charming little Frenchdiner99VIPDined on 9/13/2013A very charming little French place on a nice little park. Food is not fancy, just very well done with a good selection. The prix fixe is a bargain at $39 for three courses. We liked it a lot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/7/2013after not being here for some time I decided to give it another chance. arrived and table was waiting and placed orders. 1/2 of the appeti/zers came quickly and the other guests waited 10 minutes for theirs. service was poor and waiter did not seem to understand that guests enjoy eating together.. entrees arrived and duck with lentil and rutabaga was disappointing as cabbage had not flavor... chicken was superb. high prices for mediocre eats. not worth the trip back
- Our favorite bistro...South Park Camuameans2havefunVIPDined on 9/6/2013Once again we were delighted by a recent visit to South Park Cafe. We have turned to our favorite bistro in SF for consistent and flavor dishes. We were not disappointed...we ordered and enjoyed the Octopus salad, Grouper, and Clams as well as a wonderful dessert of Profiteroles. Service was pleasant and professional, we always enjoy the interior and feel we are back in Paris at a neighborhood bistro, and the food is very consistent. We will return soon...Special Features: