50 Hampshire Street
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.atasca.com/
- Phone: 6176216991
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Portuguese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Joseph A. Cerqueira
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Atasca
A Portuguese word for tavern; Atasca is a visit into beautiful Portugal. This popular Kendall Square location serves simple, yet traditional lunches and authentic yet, modern dinners. The inclusive Portuguese dinner and wine menus allow for customers to experience a complete Portuguese meal. Portuguese Pottery, fresh flowers, and rustic walls filled with Portuguese plates are all part of the romantic atmosphere at Atasca. You can enjoy intimate meals with a group of friends or family and even with that special person. There is something for everyone at Atasca from cozy dinners in a warm corner to a light lunch in our summer esplanade. Atasca is the perfect place to indulge in tasty food, spectacular wines and pleasant service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Atasca reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (16)special occasion (13)romantic (12)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- WOWkentVIPDined on 1/10/2014fantastic food, carefully authentically cooked. The fish stews and superb. Just a great place for an unusual meal that will transport you to sunny Portugal.Special Features:
- Great place!NoelleVIPDined on 12/28/2013This place is great for groups - have been a couple times and has been great every time. Had the pork tenderloin which was a tad dry but over all really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/22/2013This is the place to go to enjoy a wide variety of small plates, with an emphasis on seafood. I recommend the cold octopus salad and anything with squid. Wonderful steamed mussels. We broke away from seafood to have the braised beef short ribs entree which was great. Wash everything down with an excellent and inexpensive vino verde. Service was friendly and helpful. The small plates are generously sized and a good value. It was a fun and entertaining meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedOTdinerDined on 12/3/2013This year I was in charge of planning the holiday lunch for my department. I wanted to do something that would be fun, a little bit different from the ho-hum usual, delicious and festive - all whilefitting into our budget. Atasca delivered! The food was terrific, the atmosphere was festive, and the serviceice was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portuguese Food for CambridgeAiredaleVIPDined on 11/24/2013Would definitely recommend this for Portuguese food in the area. Good traditional fare, reasonable price, nice setting. Would go back, can't think of a restaurant in the area with as strong a showing for Portuguese/Azorean cuisine. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here and I'll beDynahVIPDined on 11/9/2013First time here and I'll be back! The food was creative and varied. The wait staff helpful and worked together well. Overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Nice AmbiencegingerDined on 11/9/2013The feel of the restaurant was welcoming and the atmosphere at once alive and cozy. The food seemed to be cooked fresh and the Portugese wines we tried were good; my husband was less thrilled by the Portugese beer. It would be a an easy and reliable choice for dinner out with friends or dates; and although it was too cold to sit outside, the outdoor seating looked nice so we will keep it in mind for the summer.Special Features:
- nice finddrnickDined on 10/20/2013Really enjoyed our evening here. The host John was really friendly without being overbearing. Food was good with a nice selection od portuguese food which is a nice change from italian! A pleasant change to be able to eat fish as it should be (grilled whole) rather than the unnatural fillet. TherThe rice pudding was a little too sweet for me but the chocolate dessert my friends had was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We sat outside despite itavi8orsDined on 10/18/2013We sat outside despite it being a bit chilly, it was quite nice! Even though you are right next to a busy street, you feel very secluded in their beautiful patio dining. The food and service were both fantastic! Prices were extremely reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a little worried whenW000Dined on 10/2/2013Was a little worried when we walked in and found the place practically empty, but Atasca was actually really great. We took my cousin here while he was in town. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and it was nice and quiet since there weren't a lot of people. Most of our group had a special stuffed chicken. It was tasty (especially the fries), though one of them was a little drier than we'd prefer. Overall, I'd definitely go back. Portions were large enough to have lunch the next day, but I didn't have enough restraint and ate the whole thing anyways,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Apps, Drinks, Food, Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2013We had group of 7 this weekend at Atasca and had a great time. Super warm and friendly atmosphere - very personable and family feel from the wait-staff and owner/manager(?). Appetizers were great - try the Paté and anything with the portuguese cheeses! We all had something different for our entree and everything came out great. Good mixed-drink selection too with some creative and delicious drinks, good authentic portuguese wine and beer lists too (the beer list is small though). Overall really liked this place and will go back next time I'm in Cambridge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2013a reliably good restaurant in Kendall Square, near the theatre and a good neighborhood restaurant. While all the food was good, it doesn't compare with some of the other restaurants in the area, which are superb. However, I'd recommend the sardines which were totally tasty and though listed as an appetizer, hearty enough for a light main course.
- Wonderful dining experienceTonyVIPDined on 8/9/2013Wonderful food and service in a cozy environment. My wife and I always eat here when we visit Boston. As a matter of fact , we enjoyed it so much we ate 3 meals in 3days!! Excellent Portuguese food. Big portions at very moderate prices. Great Portuguese wine list also very reasonably priced. Definitely a dining baragin in the Boston area. The staff is first rate, knowledge and very friendly. They made us feel like regulars. I can't say enough about Atasca. Don't pass up the Bacalhau ,and Rice with shellfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining!SenoraMVIPDined on 8/6/2013We love the pretty patio at Atasca. Our dinner was delicious, with leftovers to bring home. We're never disappointed there.Special Features:
- ExperienceRmv1Dined on 8/2/2013The food was good. The service was fair. Parking was a problem.Special Features:
- AmazingAnnaDined on 7/26/2013They have the best service in Miami. Also, every dish I had was perfectly cooked and seasoned. I strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atasca Could Be More "Portuguese"SilkeVIPDined on 7/25/2013Lunch at Atasca was tasty, in a pleasant ambiance, with a nice server. The outdoor area was charming though not usable due to rain. Our server got a rather weird reprimand from the owner or manager (?) which seemed to reflect an unfortunate tone, of trying to be "fancier" than necessary or desirable. This confirmed the impression (both of 2 times I've been to Atasca) that it's trying too hard to be "upscale" vs. "ethnic." The traditional Portuguese dishes (like pork and clams, which I had) aren't as authentic as I would hope.. too bland.The prices are high overall, considering. Many other Portuguese restaurants manage lower prices with ethnic flair (pottery, etc ) as well as heartier, more authentic and delicious food.
- Good ValueKingcoleDined on 7/16/2013Solid traditional Portuguese food, with emphasis on fish and pork. If you like this kind of food, as I do its a fine place to go. Its also a very good value. (It is striking that Open Table does not list this as a basis for recommendation, but it is still important to a few people.) It also has a pleasant outdoor patio, but neither I nor anyone else wanted to sit outside in the recent heat wave.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesome!ktclarkVIPDined on 7/15/2013Atasca is always wonderful, the food deliciious and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portugal in Boston - heaven!Elizabeth2013Dined on 7/13/2013Always a wonderful meal with excellent service at Atasca. The staff are fantastic, the ambience perfect. The food is exceptionally good and the wine list the most impressive choice of Portuguese wines I have discovered on the east coast. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, not as good as itCambridgeDined on 7/10/2013Overall, not as good as it used to be. The haddock, which was described as a special that evening, was overcooked. I would still recommend the restaurant, but with advice that they ask for details about how each dish is prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2013Based on the other reviews, I was hoping for a nice meal, but it was so, so BAD. The bread was stale, the dressing on the salad was non-existent (did they put any dressing on?), and the main course was very bland. Our server never came to the table to ask how our food was. And to top it all off, we got a $30 parking ticket! It was an expensive night for a terrible meal.Special Features:
- Sardine HeavenEJOGVIPDined on 7/4/2013Never saw such big sardines ever - not even in Portugual - and they were delicious.Special Features:
- Go for Portuguese dishesrobertDined on 7/3/2013Standard US dishes are OK. Portuguese cuisine is excellent. We'll go again, together or with friends. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atasca June 10thJohnbDined on 6/23/2013Very appropriate that I dined at Atasca on day reserved as Portugal's national holiday as I felt I was back in Portugal withthe authentic decor, spectacular presentation of the dishes, and the superbly tasty menu offerings! A must try for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atasca ReviewDarioDined on 6/15/2013As a Portuguese who likes good food and is used to try different restaurants. I have to tell that this restaurant is really good. The food is such good as you can find in Portugal. And the Pastel de Nata which are really difficult to find so good as LIsbon were just amazing. They also have a considerable wine list with the most common Portuguese wines. Highly recommended. Best, DarioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch optionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2013Woking in Technology square we have plenty of lunch options and I feel like Atasca is almost always forgotten. Smaller and tucked away from the heart of it all, it is definitely worth the extra 5 minute walk. Extremely fresh seafood everytime I eat there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atasca is a hidden gem justPammerDined on 6/12/2013Atasca is a hidden gem just outside of Kendall Square offering authentic Portuguese foods. You must try their fried potatoes - these wonders that at first glance you think are potato chips, but their robustness, crisp on the outside and yummy on the inside are a great accompaniment to meals. The traditional bachalau was perfect, just salty enough but not toooo salty. And the Bife Atasca com ovo a Cavalo served with those fried potatoes - hits the spot everytime. Definitely give Atasca a visit, you will not be disappointed with any menu choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Outting!MorisaDined on 5/26/2013This is a hidden Gem! The food was great, the service was excellent and the environment was warm. We will go back and will refer our friends and family. Kind Regards, MorisaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and nothing elseRRJBVIPDined on 5/25/2013The food was disappointing and lacking in flavor. The grilled whole shrimp in piri-piri sauce was tasty but the entrees were bland, lacking in seasoning and flavor. The pork in the paella was overdone and chewy and there was no sign of the linguica at all. The charcoal grilled dry salt cod was charred to the point of tasting burnt and had no seasoning at all. The service was the only redeeming quality of the place. The waiter was funny, patient and attentive. For the price, you expect a lot more!
- EspecialJosephDined on 5/25/2013Great place to Dining, I'm waiting for good weather so I can dining outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Portuguese restaurantbgourmandVIPDined on 5/19/2013Atasca is a cute, friendly Portuguese spot decorated with lovely pottery and tiles, which I love. The food is not fancy, but pretty good for a reasonable price. We often see family groups in here, and always go here after a concert at the Dante Center across the street (I sing in a chorus there). The staff at Atasca is always welcoming and ready to explain about any Portuguese dishes or wine you may have a question about.
- We shared a wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013We shared a wonderful evening with friends at Atasca. The food was tasty, many dishes featured seafood and there were lots of interesting seafood and meat combinations that were new to some of us and fun to try. We had excellent service from a knowledgeable, professional, and personable server. Would absolutely return next time I visit the area.Special Features:
- Great food served by friendlyKJS82VIPDined on 4/13/2013Great food served by friendly and knowledgeable staff. Our waitress made good food recommendations and when we had a question about the wine that she couldn't answer she sent the owner over who was very friendly and answered all of our questions and more. Will absolutely be back again.Special Features:
- Bland, greasy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013Food was really subpar. My fish was greasy and tasteless, not to mention, filled with bones. I found it quite disappointing given its decent rating. The service was good though.
- I don't know why this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2013I don't know why this place remains undiscovered. It's right across the street from the noisy and crowded 1 Kendall Square, yet it's always relaxed and quiet, and it's easy to get a reservation. I have traveled to Portugal and I find Atasca very authentic. Amazingly attentive service, really excellent food, nice wine list. I often end up ordering a bunch of appetizers and sharing them - sort of a DIY tapas approach. I love Atasca and urge you to try it if you're in the mood for a quiet, relaxed lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- A great eveningDfromNewtonVIPDined on 3/30/2013We chose this restaurant purely from the Open Table list of restaurants that had an opening for four the same day at a good time. Turned out really well. There was a large menu which could satisfy a picky eater in our foursome. The food was really excellent. Familiar ingredients with a different flavor. . The atmosphere was charming and felt very European. The waiter was very attentive. They were accommodating when we arrived late for our reservation due to a late arriving babysitter. We had empanadas, chicken skewers, a vegetable plate and a sardine plate for appetizers, all we're good. our friendsloved the seafood paella for two. MI loved my shrimp with broccoli Rabelais and Portuguese fried potatoes. Higly recommendSpecial Features:
- I have been to the AtascaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013I have been to the Atasca many times and this time I was very dissapointed.
- A little bit out of the wayNoelleVIPDined on 3/23/2013A little bit out of the way when you are going via public transit, but well worth the trip. Great, great food and even better atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- This restaurant is a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2013This restaurant is a gem! We made a wonderful dinner out of several appetizers and a bottle of vinho verde. We would definitely go back.Special Features: