Japango Sushi Restaurant
1136 Pearl St
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Japango Sushi Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boulderjapango.com/
- Phone: 3039380330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Iwasa Yukigi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Japango offers a range of catering options for all types of occasions and party sizes in and around the Boulder and Front Range area. We can provide you with freshly made Sushi catering in personalized trays for those important business luncheons all the way through to five course Japanese catering meals made at your Boulder home for special occasions with friends and family.
If you’re local to Boulder, we can bring the Sushi Bar to your house for parties where you can watch our Chef make Japanese delicacies to order for you and your friends.
A word from Japango Sushi Restaurant
Japango, set in a historic building just West of Broadway on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, CO, offers a dynamic combination of traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisine. In many ways this wildly popular restaurant feels like a direct extension of Boulder itself--sophisticated, casual and healthy. Guests enjoy a relaxed atmosphere in an award winning space designed by nationally acclaimed architect Scott Rodwin. It’s a dynamic setting, the perfect place for a first date, a family gathering, or a night out with friends. The dining room is intimate and lively while unpretentiously elegant. Japango features a large central sushi bar, vibrant colors, and a rich material palette of wood, stone and metal, which always provides an upscale dining experience. In addition to offering one of the best happy hours in town, Japango is also home to Boulder's original all-you-can-eat sushi night. The restaurant's full bar hosts unique house cocktails and an extensive sake menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Japango Sushi Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Japango Sushi Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)special occasion (17)good for groups (13)hot spot (10)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (9)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- I wish the nigiri sushi wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013I wish the nigiri sushi was better quality but the rolls were very good and brussel sprouts crips were out of this world. Never heard of them before.Special Features:
- Amazing food...lots to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Amazing food...lots to try especially if you take advantage of the happy hour specials. Service was perfect, pleasant and very attentive. I've found a new favorite sushi spot!Special Features:
- Bad service. Good food.JimieDined on 1/11/2013Our waitress was not very helpful in explaining the menu items or the specials. Also we got our drinks after our food arrived. All of the food we got was very delicious, though. In the past the service has not been great as well but if you can look past it you will get a tasty meal.
- Fun place to dine - some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Fun place to dine - some of the best sushi we've ever had.Special Features:
- Always good sushi. Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Always good sushi. Wait staff is great. I go there often.Special Features:
- The atmosphere is good andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2012The atmosphere is good and the sushi is good as well but, not great. Its definitely a good place for a quick sushi fix.
- surprise hide-away on Pearl St.ZbestDined on 12/19/2012Really FRESH, creative recipes...different combinations than at other sushi restaurants...lot of attention to detail...AND all-you-can-eat sushi on Tuesday notes!Special Features:
- Great team, good food, superOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2012Great team, good food, super personable and attentive - I would absolutely recommend and make a point of taking friends!!Special Features:
- I am somewhat of a Sushi snobOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/16/2012I am somewhat of a Sushi snob and IMHO this place is a winner
- My friend and I were headedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012My friend and I were headed for the Ailey II dance performance at CU, and I'd been wanting to try Japango's for a long time--we were NOT disappointed! The server was friendly and 'right on' with timing; and the food was beyond expectations. We will be back!Special Features:
- Wasn't amazing but still love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2012I have always liked Japango during the early afternoons. At night especially a busy one, it isn't very comfortable to be with a big group of friends there. Just for the fact of how small the dinning area is, along with the tables. My group actually had to ask to move to a bigger space cause it just felt so compact. The sushi is always good, The menu needs some changes. One thing I don't enjoy is when the sushi isn't nicely cut or wrapped right, (To thin of cut or loose in wrapping) because as your eating it kind of falls apart and that was something that happened a lot while we were there.Special Features:
- Tucked away on Pearl street,DiddleDenDined on 10/27/2012Tucked away on Pearl street, a fine sushi restaurant with a nice sake list. This is not the typical chain sushi bar. The staff can actually educate you on sushi, sashimi and sake.
- Japango was a good dinner.Nat511Dined on 10/27/2012Japango was a good dinner. Their fish was fresh and they had a goid variety. There were two of us and the two top tables were way too small for a suishi place. We were juggling drinks, plates, soy all evening. If we go again I'd sit at the bar or go with 4 and get a larger table.Special Features:
- Japango is our "go-to" sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2012Japango is our "go-to" sushi restaurant (~90% of the time we eat sushi) in Boulder. We've probably dined there 30+ times over the past years. The quality can vary, although we've never had a "bad" meal, but last night's meal was a high quality standout. Thanks!Special Features:
- My most recent visit was notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012My most recent visit was not up to my usual dining experience. The restaurant was crowded (bringing to mind the famous statement that "it is so popular no one goes there anymore) and therefore noisier than I like. Perhaps it was only what we ordered, but the food was not up to par. Japangos has always provided that little extra that takes food from good to excellent. That was missing on this visit. I'll go back but will try to pick a less crowded time when the chef can spend a few extra minutes on each meal.Special Features:
- Japango was fairly good. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2012Japango was fairly good. We went for happy hour and most of the plates were good. Shake was on special (as it is on Wednesdays), and I would not recommend getting it then because it wasn't fresh. The rolls were fine, nothing special. My opinion is that I get more bang for my happy hour buck over at Hapa and fresher fish at Zanmai. The general ambiance was nice. At one point it took several minutes to track down our waitress to order more drinks and rolls. Generally was satisfied with the experience.
- Lobster tail Napalm and MahiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2012Lobster tail Napalm and Mahi Mahi appetizers were delicious. The Diablo roll was really good too.Special Features:
- We've been before and haveJamesVIPDined on 8/17/2012We've been before and have enjoyed sushi. Their sushi is not better than say, Sushi Zanmai, a mainstay for decades in Boulder. Their prices have moved up and we are not so sure that what they serve justifies the price. Their tables for two are too small especially if your going to have a pot of tea taking up table space and a large plate of sushi for two. This restaurant doesn't knock you over with their service. There seems to be a lot of employee turnover and, hence, service inconsistencies. If you are going to have a pot of tea, make sure the water is at least hot. We've been served temperatures not high enough to steep. Goes without saying, be sure to time the steeping of your green tea at about three minutes.
- Okay...AyoOVIPDined on 7/23/2012The service was great. The sushi was not bad however having better elsewhere in various places, I would choose not to return to Japango.
- Everything was great as always6oldtimersDined on 6/25/2012Everything was great as always at this excellent restaurant. We took a guest, and he thought it was wonderful too.Special Features:
- Good sushi for Boulder. TheychampagnepowderDined on 6/2/2012Good sushi for Boulder. They have a pretty good selection of rolls and sashimi. I just returned from a trip to San Fran and LA and unfortunately there are several places there that blow Japango out of the water but Japango is great for us landlocked people here in Colorado. It would be nice to see some more creativity and variety in the menu with changing items throughout the year. Great place overall.
- Japango is our favorite sushiKevinDined on 5/26/2012Japango is our favorite sushi spot in Boulder. Food is always great, service is tops.Special Features:
- Great food, good selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012Great food, good selection on menu. A bit small and noisy. Service was great except they took too long to bring the check, I had to ask for it.Special Features:
- The food was very good. IticemanDined on 5/10/2012The food was very good. It was very busy and the seats are fairly close, so our chairs kept getting bumped by the servers and in some cases other customers. I received a call on my cell phone 15 minutes after we were seated to check if we were coming for our reservation - obviously there was some confusion with the hostess/check in.
- Great place! I would highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2012Great place! I would highly recommend their happy hour...one of the best finds in Boulder!Special Features:
- Vibrant, very busy also prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2012Vibrant, very busy also pretty noisy. Convenient location right on Pearl. The quality of sushi was great, just not outstanding. Prices are good, not overpriced as some of the Boulder places. Overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- The tempura was terrific here...delOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2012The tempura was terrific here...delicate and crunchy.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/11/2012Surprisingly good food, from trditional sushi (love that unagi) to a Cactus Roll (a little spicy--good!--with a touch of cream cheese to make it even more delectable) and even desserts (usually in short supply at Asian restaurants). Their cocktail with the house-infused chili vodka was really delicious. The prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- We've been to Japango severalaleeDined on 1/21/2012We've been to Japango several times and the sushi is always good and interesting. This time we had a server who was in training. The person doing the training was excellent and that's what kept things on track. However, all the times we've come, the food has been really, really slow. The worst was this time when we ordered edamame. We ordered when we sat down (before ordering our full meal) and the edamame didn't come until after we'd ordered, with our salad. We watched as tables who were seated with orders taken after ours received their food.
- A Delicious Experience6oldtimersDined on 1/13/2012We've tried to pinpoint what it is exactly we like so much about this restaurant, aside from the wonderful food, perfect service, cozy atmosphere, and pleasing decor, and we've decided it's something about the energy, which is all positive: friendly, upbeat without being the least bit pretentious or noisy, but with just the right amount of buzz. Whoever owns and runs this place is doing everything right. We've been twice, both for special occasions with family members, and look forward to going again with just the two of us. The kitchen did get a little backed up, so we had a bit of a wait a couple of times (when we were with a larger group) but not enough to deter us from going back.Special Features:
- Plenty of sushi choices around,JeffDined on 1/6/2012Plenty of sushi choices around, including Hapa right across the mall. Food here was uninspired, nothing special at all. Wouldn't bother going there again.
- Sushi is so yummy! We comeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2012Sushi is so yummy! We come here for my fiance's birthday almost every year because he loves sushi so much. We always enjoy the delicious food and nice service. My only tip for interested diners would be to consider the noise level. It can get really loud depending on where you sit and how the acoustics factor in.Special Features:
- We have been going to JapangoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011We have been going to Japango most Friday nights since our youngest daughter was a toddler. Now she's 6 and it has become a nice family tradition. Mom and Dad get top quality food and drink and our daughter loves the kids' plate!Special Features:
- The food was quite nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2011The food was quite nice and we'll definitely be back for more sushi. The place was fairly empty the whole time we were there on our date night and there was really no good reason to stick my wife and me in a corner table, pressed up against an awkwardly placed rail so that we had so little table space.Special Features:
- great food! Two tip tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2011great food! Two tip tables are small though and shoved against a wall. feels cramped.
- There was a strong fish odorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011There was a strong fish odor that hit me as soon as I walked in. I didn't like the food as all the sauces on cooked dishes seemed to be soy variants. The price is reasonable. Maybe I just hit them on a bad night
- Our Friday Night Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011We've been going to Japango most every Friday night for dinner for the last 5 years. We started going there when our daughter was a toddler and now she is 6 years old. She loves the tried and true "kids plate" and devours every last bite! Last night was a special treat because we ventured outside our comfort zone and tried the 3 course price-fix menu. It was wonderful and we discovered 2 new dishes that are on the menu that we have never tried!Special Features:
- Check it out!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2011Nice spot for a quiet get together. Food is always good and plentiful. Wait staff doesn't hover, but visually checks often for hints as to any service needed. Really enjoy this place for family gatherings, anniversaries, birthdays and just a place to eat and hold a conversation. Check it out.Special Features:
- Very busy -- local collegeBellVIPDined on 10/22/2011Very busy -- local college Homecoming time. Service was very good -- recommendations followed.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011I love this restaurant! The food is excellent and moderately priced and the servers are all very friendly and professional. I also love that it never gets too loud, even when completely full, because the acoustics are awesome! I would definitely recommend this place for any occasion.Special Features: