Japango Sushi Restaurant
1136 Pearl St
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Japango Sushi Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boulderjapango.com/
- Phone: 3039380330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Iwasa Yukigi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Japango offers a range of catering options for all types of occasions and party sizes in and around the Boulder and Front Range area. We can provide you with freshly made Sushi catering in personalized trays for those important business luncheons all the way through to five course Japanese catering meals made at your Boulder home for special occasions with friends and family.
If you’re local to Boulder, we can bring the Sushi Bar to your house for parties where you can watch our Chef make Japanese delicacies to order for you and your friends.
A word from Japango Sushi Restaurant
Japango, set in a historic building just West of Broadway on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, CO, offers a dynamic combination of traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisine. In many ways this wildly popular restaurant feels like a direct extension of Boulder itself--sophisticated, casual and healthy. Guests enjoy a relaxed atmosphere in an award winning space designed by nationally acclaimed architect Scott Rodwin. It’s a dynamic setting, the perfect place for a first date, a family gathering, or a night out with friends. The dining room is intimate and lively while unpretentiously elegant. Japango features a large central sushi bar, vibrant colors, and a rich material palette of wood, stone and metal, which always provides an upscale dining experience. In addition to offering one of the best happy hours in town, Japango is also home to Boulder's original all-you-can-eat sushi night. The restaurant's full bar hosts unique house cocktails and an extensive sake menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Japango Sushi Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Japango Sushi Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)special occasion (17)good for groups (13)hot spot (11)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Vegetarian OptionsQueen4LifeLoraDined on 2/15/2014Japango was wonderful. We had the vegetarian miso, Mile High Tofu (teriyaki tofu), and vegetarian sushi and thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2SushiLovers2SushiLoversDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I live northeast of Longmont, so use Japango once a year as our Valentines Day treat. This year though we decided to visit more often, as the food is always so exceptional and we love sitting at the sushi bar. Our Sushi Chef, Forrest did a great job this week and was such a pleasure to visit with! Between the food, people and the atmosphere, we love Japango and will be visiting more.Special Features:
- Best in Denver/BoulderAbrahamFromanDined on 2/14/2014I get to the finer Sushi restaurants in the Denver area whenever possible. In concise terms, experience is the best. Get the Himalayan roll, Tijuana roll(for something fun and different), the number one Tuna app, shrimp and pork shumai, pork belly small plate and any sashimi. The remodel is spectacular. I was there four days ago and can't stop talking about it.Special Features:
- valentines dinnermitchDined on 2/14/2014We had to go early due to heavy bookings and weren't told until we got there that valentines prix fixe wasn't available until later. The sushi was good, but everything else was much too salty.Special Features:
- Wows my out-of-townersemochkaDined on 2/14/2014I take my visiting colleagues who love sushi to Japango because I can count on the food and the service. The atmosphere is better than ever now with the remodel - they loved the jellyfish tank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JapangogypsyjulesDined on 2/11/2014I took my husband and two sons to celebrate their respective birthdays. FABULOUS! We got the all you can eat that they offer on Tuesday nights. Those boys ordered one of each thing whether they knew what it was or not, and our server was extremely knowledgable and even brought out things for us to try. I have never seen my boys have so much fun. The quality of the food is stellar and fresh and just insanely delicious. Incredible experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the new space!BoulderdinerVIPDined on 2/7/2014We have always loved Japango - easily our favorite sushi spot in Boulder. We hadn't been there since they expanded and the new space made the experience even better. We enjoyed a completely relaxed meal on a Friday night. The place was hopping but we didn't feel rushed. The food was superb. We tried one of their special rolls, The Himalayan, and it was terrific. Please put that one on the menu. Our server was pretty busy and forgot a few things but she was so nice and delightful and we enjoyed the experience so much that it didn't matter. The only thing we would change is that we were seated in a spot where we could see the TVs. We just don't like the distraction when we are dining and next time we'll ask for the main dining room.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Restaurant in BoulderLishyloveDined on 2/6/2014Japango is our go to sushi restaurant. We love the food and the environment, and they have a pretty fun drink menu. Love the place and I am sure we will be back in a couple weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New LookSamBolderDined on 12/31/2013The food was very good, and the newly remodeled dining area and bar greatly contributed to the positive overall experience. The new Japango rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Service Not So Much..YukonAlDined on 12/31/2013Was there for New Year's Eve and the food is great as always. However, the service was abysmal. Took forever to get drinks, food, and there would be long periods of time we would not see our waiter. Tables around us were complaining about him as well. The best part - him spilling my full glass of wine that was sitting on the table! Japango is really a great place. They just have at least one server that they should think about letting go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceAandADined on 12/31/2013This place has recently had a makeover and looks great. The bar is much bigger and has a great vibe. Perfect dinner spot for a date, special occasion, or just a night out on the town with friends. The service was fantastic and the food was fresh and delicious!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2013The sushi was incredible. Hands down the best I've had in quite some time. We went late on a Sunday evening so it wasn't very busy but it still took too long for our waitress to come by for orders and water refills. Other than that the place is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi PlacerjcsDined on 11/23/2013Japango is a great and reasonably affordable sushi place. The service was fast and exilent, and the restaurant as a whole vastly exceeded my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remodel looks great!Eater123VIPDined on 11/16/2013The remodeled Japango is bright and fun. Love the new bar area and the jelly fish display. The food and service was great as usual. Although I don't think that this is the best sushi restaurant ever, it has good fish and innovative rolls. Very fun place to eat! We've been many times and will go back many more.Special Features:
- New and awesomeSocialButterfllyDined on 11/13/2013Japango has revamped and expended and it is better than ever. I have always been a fan though, it is one of the first restaurants I dined at when I moved to Colorado five years ago. The ambience now is very cool and ultra lounge-ish. It is aesthetically stunning and the menu seems to have expanded and changed a little but all for the better. Tuna three ways was a spectacular appetizer. Cactus roll was on special (I've had it there a couple different times). It was good but a little over cooked. The spicy tuna inside was cooked rather than being raw like it should have been. A little too long in the fryer. Salmon nigiri was amazing. Really beautiful, fresh salmon. Everything was great and the bartenders were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALL YOU CAN EAT SUSHI!TygerYoshiDined on 11/12/2013Didn't realize this place had the all you can eat option on Tuesday nights until I got a tweet from them when they saw my sushi tag. Yeah i must admit it was a bit creepy, but well worth it. Great selection for the sushi/appetizer menu. Beautiful interior decor. Fish was fresh and our server was completely on it. Never had to wait for anything and it didn't hurt that he was super cute. Not sure I could afford the regular nights, but the all you can eat is completely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love sushiellanewtDined on 11/9/2013Really helpful suggestions for those who do not know sushi. The atmosphere was modern, relaxed and felt private because of the lighting. Reservations were taken and honored at the exact time requested. Service was attentive but not cloying. Food was fabulous. Many choices, though we stayed with the rolls which were beautiful, fresh and well crafted. It seemed that children were welcomed, but for our table of two, seated near the front of the restaurant, they were hardly noticed.Special Features:
- Fresh & good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2013Awesome fresh sushi, would definitely recommend going on all you can eat sushi night. Loved the Rainbow Roll and the Beef Tataki!Special Features:
- Good fishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2013My husband and I went to Japango for a date night. Even though we had made reservations, they tried to sit us in a tight space next to a couple with a baby. I told the hostess that we preferred not sit at that table and she found us a place at the sushi bar which was perfect. We ordered the sashimi platter, seaweed salad and vegetable tempura. The food was fabulous. We had a great time and would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A comment on your New & ImprovedKellyVIPDined on 10/19/2013We, as a regular family to your restaurant, have a few comments on your NEW and improved look. Love the new LOOK with the large bar and the middle with couches and chairs, The jellyfish tank is pretty cool as well as the blue lights under the new bar. The food was good as usual, but the salad dressing needs to have the sesame dressing NOT ranch. This is a Japanese place, please keep the dressing (love it). Disappointed in the significantly smaller appetizer menu. Please put the sesame dressing back on the mixed green salad. We were a little surprised with the reduced selection on the appetizer menu. We missed the shrimp & vegetable tempura and a few of our other favorites (tuna &chicken).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We still had to wait quiteBoulder123Dined on 10/18/2013We still had to wait quite a while for a table despite the fact that I made a reservation. I was with my boyfriend who had ordered a tofu dish and I had ordered 2 vegetarian sushi rolls. His food came our after about 20 minutes and 20 minutes later, my 2 rolls came out w. It ended up being kind of an odd situation because in order to wait for my food to get to the table, all of his hot food would have been cold. The food in general was ok. I really liked the remodel though. I thought that it looked nice and updated in there. It was little tight having to walk through the bar area though.Special Features:
- Smallest sushi I have ever hadyummyfoodDined on 9/28/2013Have lived all over the world and happy to be here in CO now but finding a great sushi restaurant is a task. The sushi here was the skinniest sushi I have ever had! Albacore did not even taste like Albacore! You can get better rolls at King Scooper. I am not kidding. To top it off charging 12.95 for a spicy tuna roll? Really , that is what you charge for a specialty roll , if that, ,spicy tuna roll is not a specialty roll, anywhere else in the country! The owners are clearly trying to pay for the new remodel which is great, however, food needs to match! I hope this is not the norm in Boulder?!
- great timezmarchDined on 9/1/2013Extremely good service. Little pricey for the quality for overall great meal.Special Features:
- Outstanding Japanese restauarantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013Outstanding food, wine (sake) list, great service and ambience.Special Features:
- Found our new best sushi place!rtreeDined on 8/3/2013When Sushi Tora took all our favorites off its menu, we were really disappointed. So when we went looking for a replacement for our anniversary dinner, we decided to give Japango a try. Boy, are we glad we did! As soon as we walked in, we knew it would be a great dining experience. The nigiri was fresh, tender and subtly spiced, and - surprise - they had a wonderful gluten-free menu, with scrumptious appetizers, like the grilled whole squid, sliced into beautiful thin pieces. Our server was right on top of everything, and delightfully cheerful. And the interior design is simply genius! All in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingfoodnerdsDined on 7/13/2013Our experience at Japango was fantastic. We were looking for a special night out at the last minute, and decided to trust the reviews and head out. The sushi was spectacular! I'm not as much of a sushi fanatic as my husband, but even I continued eating piece after piece until we were all out. We will certainly return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Corazon was amazingmomc1118Dined on 6/21/2013We had never been there before, but had a special occasion to celebrate and wanted good sushi. We had good drinks and great crispy brussel sprouts and then the main courses came. The filet was super tender and melts in your mouth and the corazon was awesome. Thanks Japango!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We go to Japango quite oftenmarcoDined on 6/15/2013We go to Japango quite often and the service and food have always been great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be sure and try the specialsCindyJDined on 6/10/2013Interesting and delicious spins on traditional sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love those Brussel sproutsRebeccaDined on 6/1/2013We had an amazing dinner out!! The brussel sprout appetizer is to die for. The service was great and the sushi exceptional!!Special Features:
- FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2013Japango is a favorite place and where we usually go for our date nite.Special Features:
- Always pleasesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/13/2013The sushi is always fresh every day of the week. They have classic and innovative sushi rolls. Great happy hour ($2 off all sushi) and nice service (greet table with warm towel for your hands) never feel rushed an servers are very friendly. It's a causal upscale restaurant. Tasty drinks and a variety of sake as well. Much better than other boulder sushi spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, Japanese foodsrudgecoDined on 5/12/2013We like Japango, the selection is good, the food is good, the service is good. We go there often as a family, there is something for everyone. We also like the specials and happy hour offers. There's nothing fancy or incredibly unique about Japango, it's just a solid, good at everything important kind of place where you can get in and out for about $100 to $120 for a family of 4 with some sake. Se we enjoy it very much and eat there often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013We were a party of five adults, with two vegetarians and two non-sushi eaters. Everyone found something on the menu. Nice selection, with a specials menu and "happy hour" prices on small plates and drinks before 6:30 PM, at least on the night we were there.Special Features:
- Every time I go to JapangoOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/20/2013Every time I go to Japango they have fresh fish. My only complaint about my last visit was that only one sushi chef was working during happy hour on a Saturday and the restaurant was busy. We had to wait an hour for our food. The waiter handled the situation very well and we were still pleased with our experience.
- The food and ambiance wouldjmidtboVIPDined on 4/13/2013The food and ambiance would bring me back. However, our sushi chef was so bored and potentially hung over that it mAde the experience of sitting at the sushi bar quite uncomfortable. He did not acknowledge us other than to give us our and did not smile one time. I'm hoping for a better bar experience next time and a higher rating.
- Very good, they were cheerfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2013Very good, they were cheerful and attentive, even when we spilled something. Excellent food.Special Features:
- Go! Go! Go!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013We had our same waiter again and he is great. Raleigh (? not sure of spelling), but he's kind, friendly, helpful and attentive. Hopefully, we have him every time we go (we go regularly). Food is great, though several dishes that were normally warm, were cold. But in general, great place with amazing happy hour specials - wonderful opportunity to try new things!Special Features:
- Fantastic sushi served inOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2013Fantastic sushi served in a great atmosphere, accompanied by a surprisingly good good food menu. The ambiance is great and the service is excellent. They have a good wine list and there are lots of inventive specialty alcoholic beverages as well. Overall, a great dining experience.Special Features:
- A "MUST TRY" SPOT!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Valentine's Day was our first visit - we will certainly be going back! As a result of terrible weather, we showed up 30 minutes late. This did not phase them; no attitude of being inconvenienced - not a single negative vibe. Rather, they immediately worked us in and had drinks at the table in no time. This was followed by some excellent suggestions on the menu and timely service. The sushi was excellent and they also have some very distinct rolls. We COMPLETELY enjoyed ourselves and will make this our "sushi spot" whenever we are in Boulder!Special Features: