Old Blinking Light
9344 Dorchester St
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129Neighborhood:
Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Blinking Light
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taosrestaurantgroup.com/old_blinking_light/_about.html
- Phone: 3033469797
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call and talk to our event manager!
- Private Party Facilities: The Old Blinking Light’s "Kiva Room" offers a warm, intimate atmosphere for family gatherings, corporate events, social receptions & business luncheons. This truly unique space accommodates up to 36 people seated and up to 45 for a cocktail style reception. With private access to an outdoor patio of Colorado's beautiful front range, the Old Blinking Light is the ultimate private dining experience in Highlands Ranch. We offer our full dinner menu for parties up to 25, and special limited menus to your specifications. The Kiva Room's large screen TV is laptop compatible and is perfect for Powerpoint presentations and slideshows. There are also chalk boards and cork boards available for your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Earl Gonzales 3033469797
- Cross Street: Highlands Ranch Parkway
- Public Transit: RTD bus route has multiple transits that will get you 200 yards from the restaurant. The stop will be the town center in Highlands Ranch.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Open parking available throughout the town center with a multi level public garage directly behind the restaurant.
A word from Old Blinking Light
Whether you are looking for a relaxing lunch, family-friendly dinner or night out to enjoy excellent margaritas, the Old Blinking Light welcomes you! Named one of America’s 10 Best New Chefs by Food & Wine Magazine, Chef Joseph Wrede joins forces with owners Michael Yaccino and Nat Troy to introduce a fresh new taste to the Highlands Ranch community. Influenced by a Taos, NM background, the superb menu offers a wide range of fresh flavors and tastes. American food with a Southwest soul!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Old Blinking Light - Best Restaurants in Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree ›
Old Blinking Light reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (38)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (23)kid-friendly (22)great for lunch (21)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Really good!sjgoodDined on 4/23/2014The service was really great and the food was very good. It's a little pricey but no pricier than most places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Just Stopped In For SaladsDaveDined on 4/22/2014The salads were good. The server was excellent--although she didn't check on us very often, she seemed to show up at just the right time. The facility is upscale and clean, although the large open dining/bar area makes it kind of noisy. It seems to be a favorite for groups hosting meetings. The last two times I have been there, large groups were gathered around one or more of the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange name, Great place!TravellinGalVIPDined on 4/16/2014Took a friend to OBL yesterday for her birthday. The architecture there is awesome--quirky and modern and rustic all at once. The menu was extensive and everything tasted wonderful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Amazing serviceRichVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is always a consistent over the top experience. The bar and serve staff are so interested in creating a great experience for everyone. Food is very good.Special Features:
- Consistency Pays OffericslaneDined on 3/22/2014Another very positive experience. We tried the deviled egg appetizer and were quite pleased with the value for the price. We overachieved and ordered chips w/ guacamole and the portion was quite large. We managed to struggle through though. We've never really had a negative experience at OBL and will return again. Well done.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYummyDined on 3/14/2014Pricey food options but very tastey dishes. During prime dinner hours, it is quite loud in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2-86 birthday celebrationchilegalDined on 3/8/2014First time visit and after reading reviews decided to give you a try. We needed to find a menu that would offer variety as well as a scene for a 2 year old and an 86 year old's birthday celebration. Old Blinking Light exceeded our expectations. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014My husband and I tried Old Blinking light last Saturday! We were very impressed with the service and food! Just an all around great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected - DISSAPOINTEDRedwithanythingDined on 3/6/2014The pictures, write up and menu all make it much better than what we found. The food was anything but special and lacked real flavor. The write ups made it sound like a nice place with reasonable noise and classy southwest food. The noise was off the chart we couldn't hardly talk (yes we're 60+ and a bit hard of hearing but we can normally carry on conversation in a restaurant). The southwest food only so-so. Of the 4 of us only 1 gave a 6/10 grade for food the rest of us less <4. If you're looking for a vibrant bar scene sure but for dinner with friends to visit forget it!Special Features:
- Good and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food was good although a bit overpriced (we got a good deal with 5280) and the drink selection (non-wine, but liquor drinks) was somewhat limited and excessively expensive ($11 for one margarita?). Overall a good ambiance, but I'd go elsewhere on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedTrishDined on 2/28/2014The ambiance was nice, although it was maybe a little too dark and loud.. It's was a bit difficult to see the food on my plate. But the food and service were fabulous. I was pleasantly surprised that the food referenced a lot of New Mexican cuisine. Bring originally from New Mexico, I very much enjoyed that red chile was highlighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver Restaurant WeekDBOLLDined on 2/26/2014Since we were doing restaurant week we didn't really look at the wine list nor the regular menu. The menu selections for restaurant for varied and we enjoyed our meals very much. The noise level was more than energetic at this restaurant....it was excessive! We wouldn't ever recommend it for a romantic or intimate dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blinking BrightBlinkingDined on 2/26/2014This was our first time at the Old Blinking Light. We went for Restaurant Week and besides the fabulous food and service. They stick true to the 5280 restaurant week and didn't up their price. It was $52.80 instead of $30 pp. We life quite a ways away from this gem, but we will definitely return! We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quickly becoming regularsBTC15VIPDined on 2/25/2014Always a good experience at OBL. We love their fried avocado, shrimp appetizer, deviled eggs, enchiladas, pork, half chicken, salmon, Taos salad, burgers, and just about everything else on the menu. Tried the queso this time which was disappointing but their creme brûlée made up for it on the back end. Four visits in five months and have not left disappointed once. One note for future patrons - the place is always packed. Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Treat!3famDined on 2/24/2014Just thought we'd try this place , as they were participating in the Denver 5280 week. We were delightfully surprised. Service was excellent. Food was outstanding, and I'm pretty picky. Glad to have tried this little gem in the burbs.Special Features:
- Great eveningJoAnnDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed the food ,the evening and the experience. JSpecial Features:
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The server was very understanding of us taking our time. I went with a girlfriend who I had not seen in 6 months and we were leisure at best. But the server was great about it. I wish I would have looked at the menu before I booked it. It was true Mexican American and I had anticipated getting a steak. But that was my fault. The food was amazing!!!!!! And reasonably priced for what you get!Special Features:
- Date nightChristianDined on 2/14/2014Went with a small group of friends for Valentines Day. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was rad. I ordered the Mac n Cheese, it was awesome. My wife ordered fish tacos, and our friends dined on Enchiladas and lamb. All the food was great. There drinks were good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayColobruDined on 2/14/2014It has been a few years since I last dined at The Old Blinking Light and I came away disappointed. Everything was good except the food. At best the food was average - it certainly wasn't anything to bring me back.Special Features:
- Excellent Valentine's DinnerLaceyVIPDined on 2/14/2014This was our first time and we will be back. The food was incredible. The service amazing for a busy night. I was glad we had reservations as the wait line was long and we just breezed right in.Special Features:
- Great New Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/14/2014We were there before 6 and ordered from the Hapy Hour menu. With an appetizer and the sliders and beef tacos we still had room for the Lemon Bundt cake. It was all great, especially the Guacamole and the cake. YummSpecial Features:
- Nice little placeRubbersidedownDined on 2/13/2014The open fire gives this place a fiery ambiance. The menu gives choices that force you out of your normal restaurant doldrums.Special Features:
- very good experience all aroundquaereDined on 2/10/2014My daughter & I had a weekday lunch here, & loved the experience. Fun atmosphere, fantastic food! I imagine this would be a great happy hour place, especially in warmer weather...great patio. Lots of menu choices for my daughter, who is a vegetarian. We both loved the fried avocado & the beets for appetizers. I had the salmon for main course & it was exquisite, worth every penny. We don't usually do dessert, but we tried the banana one & it was great...not too sweet, just right. I usually go to restaurants in downtown, Highlands, Superior areas, but this is a great find closer to home...I live in Castle Pines, it's nice to be able to whole heartedly support a more local business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuous pleasureJohn22VIPDined on 2/6/2014We were seated at a booth of our choice. The food and wine were excellent . The hostess and young ladies that serviced our table were friendly and actually read my comments to the restaurant when I made the reservation. "please do not rush us at or during dinner"Special Features:
- awesomegoodiningDined on 2/4/2014Very nice ambiance, with good service. Had a first-time OBL dinner guest with me who was impressed with the whole dining experience. The mahi-mahi dish was excellent and the salmon dish was excellent, too. The pinot noir was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2014I took my two boys for an early Friday night dinner. The food was excellent, the kids meal is not your average chicken nuggets, this is great quality food, well presented, fresh and generous. Service was impeccable and friendly towards the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was veryKathyDined on 1/28/2014Food and service was very good. In the Private room where we were, the door should have been closed at all times. It was a business dinner.
- First Time to OBLDaveDined on 1/25/2014It was a pleasant surprise to find this restaurant. The service and food were great. Would like to try sitting around the outdoor patio firepit. It looks awesome! The decor was beautiful. We happened to have a large group for a birthday lunch celebration and the arrangements were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!jasmineDined on 1/22/2014It was a great experience overall! We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Blinking GoodLongboardVIPDined on 1/15/2014Great ambiance, service was great, food was great. will go again and gain. little chilly for the patio but can't wait to hang out after work on the patio. Nice Fire view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great first experienceljmeyerDined on 1/14/2014This was my first trip to the Old Blinking Light, but it will not be my last. The food was outstanding and our server, Rico, was a pleasure. He really took care of us, was very polite, and did not hover.Special Features:
- We make the drive to eat herewendyDined on 1/13/2014We have lots of restaurants within 10-15 minutes of us, but we will make the 20 or so minute drive to eat here as it is a step above so many restaurants. I like the atmosphere, the food and the service. The menu is slightly different and very tasty. We had the ceviche and the fried avocado for appetizers on this visit and they were both excellent. I love their tacos too. We will continue to make the trip to Old Blinking Light. I suggest reservations as it is usually busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemEspanaOnTheTownDined on 1/10/2014Will continue to eat here. Good service and food close to home. It's our favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceMrstatsVIPDined on 12/28/2013This was our 2nd visit to this restaurant. Our 1st time was in summer and really enjoyed it, but not this time. My wife and I came here for dinner and were sat way in the back room. The service was horrible. Our server didn't refill our drinks (I had to ask another waitress for a refill), didn't ask how our meals were and we basically didn't see her again from the time we got our food until the time she brought us our check. The food itself was average this time around. I ordered the ribs and the BBQ sauce was very spicy, and the cheddar mashed potatoes looked like French onion soup, but were not bad. My wife ordered the Taos salad and was surprised to find chopped onions which she did not enjoy, and were not mentioned on the menu.
- Food was blahOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2013Had BBQ pork. Tasteless and soaking wet. Slopped out of a pan onto a bun.boring.
- NiceJohn22VIPDined on 12/13/2013We had to change our reservations from 7 to 8 PM. The restaurant handled it would any problems. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG--GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE!! :-)luv2dineVIPDined on 12/11/2013First time at Old Blinking Light and the place was packed and vibrant! Were greeted, checked in and seated right away! Our server was Jenny and she was friendly, courteous, and efficient. We didn't have to wait long for anything!! For appetizers we ordered the sweet-and-spicy chile-dusted popcorn shrimp and the mahi-mahi ceviche. Both were so freaking good and the ceviche was the best I have had in Denver!! My daughter ordered the achiote/citrus-marinated pork . It was tender and delicious! It was such a huge portion it looked like she hadn't even made a dent in it. She had to take some home. I had the New Mexico red-chili-crusted salmon--delicious! To end the meal, we had the OBL Mud Pie. From start to finish, Great, Great, Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HotSpotScottDined on 12/6/2013The Old Blinking Light in Highlands Ranch is a neighborhood hot spot. It seems to always be a busy and vibrant gathering place on the weekend nights and happy hours. The food is moderately priced and all entrees we have tried have been excellent. The seating service leaves a little to be desired. We had reservations and had to wait an additional 20 minutes for a table that was empty from our arrival time. All other aspects of our visit were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Good ServiceC2computerVIPDined on 11/29/2013Good food, great service, always a good dining experience here. Lots of interesting items on the menu which makes it good for everyone but it Southwestern style so if you like that, good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but fair servicecraighVIPDined on 11/27/2013The five of us enjoyed the shrimp appetizer and our entrees, which ranged from shrimp po'boy, to stacked enchiladas, to Ahi tuna sandwich, to a standard cheeseburger. Service was slow and water glasses not refilled regularly. We will return as the pluses far outweighed the one minus.Special Features: