Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hopmonk.com/
- Phone: 7079359100
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for lunch and dinner: Sunday thru Wednesday 11:30am - 9pm, Thursday-Saturday 11:30am - 10pm. Bar: Sunday thru Wednesday 11:30am-10:30pm, Thursday-Saturday 11:30am - 12:45am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Billy Reid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our beer garden is a beautiful place to host your group event. It can hold up to 125 people sitting and up to 200 cocktail style. We also have several rooms inside the restaurant depending on your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Summers 7079759810
- Entertainment: Free music Friday thru Sunday ~ Beer Garden Friday 5-7pm, and 9-11pm in the Tavern ~ Saturday 1-3pm in the Beer Garden and 9-11pm in the Tavern ~ Sunday 1-3pm in the Beer Garden
- Special Events: We offer private groups up to 150 guests in the Beer Garden. In the Tavern we have two options for private groups ~ Music room will accommodate up to 40 guests, seated or 60 cocktail style ~ Sun Room up to 22 guests seated or 35 cocktail style ~ There is also an option to use the room next to the sun room for a total of 60 seated guests. For more information, contact Kim Schubert at 707-975-9810 or email@example.com.
A word from Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma
An 1888 Farmhouse with a 2010 renovation including a rustic tavern, outdoor dining deck, and expansive beer garden. We love being a Beer Place in the Wine Country. Come to HopMonk for fresh seasonal draft beer, tasty meals, local wines, rustic tavern atmosphere, a beautiful deck and beer garden, fine live music. Beer is fun; we know you'll enjoy our relaxed and informed service. We love large groups and accommodate them on a daily basis. You can expect to find creative live music; solo, combo and trio on a regular basis this winter. In the spring we'll host daytime headliner music every weekend from the Beer Garden. Beer dinners hosted by owner Dean Biersch (Gordon Biersch co-founder) are a monthly feature.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (63)good for groups (33)great for lunch (30)neighborhood gem (28)kid-friendly (24)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (14)fit for foodies (11)late-night find (8)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerSonomaLocalDined on 8/9/2013It was a last minute decision to go out for our anniversary. We wanted somewhere we knew would be good. Hopmonk came through with expected quality. Try the sweet potato fries, they are a treat. We were given a nice table beside the stage that was great for private conversation. After dinner, we sat around the outdoor fire and enjoyed the evening with other guests. Very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed brew-pub experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2013Great addition to Sonoma's wine-heavy alternatives. Reasonable selection of wines, but it's about the bees. Simple foods with a few healthy options as well as normal beer pub fare. Nicely prepared wild salmon (locally caught.) Excellent Quinoa Salad, fine brew options. Wide range of dress all fine. Inside and outside dining. Live music. Within walking distance of Sonoma's Plaza. Sports Bar, too. Owner has provided multiple seating options from quiet corners, to outdoors with heaters at night, to Sports Bar, to patio with trellis and more...We're local and it's less than a block walk.Special Features:
- Food not as good as when itbabsVIPDined on 8/6/2013Food not as good as when it first opened. Hamburgers need work!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we expectedJoJoDined on 7/27/2013We found the Hopmunck Tavern a great location for our trip to Sonoma. Easy to find, easy parking and lovely outdoor dining area with music. We ordered a couple of starters, some sandwiches and salads and everyone liked the food. Only one person ordered a beer since it was mid-day. We would go back another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlySValleyfoodieDined on 7/20/2013We went for lunch to celebrate a grandson's 13th birthday. Chose outdoor seating because it was a beautiful day...not too hot. Although this is a 'tavern' there were many families enjoying lunch, some with small children. Our meals were all quite good...the Reuben, a chicken caeser salad, the Hopmonk burger that my 10 yr.old granddaughter devoured, and a chicken sandwich. Good selection of beers. And, unexpectedly, they brought a large piece of chocolate cake with candle for my grandson. Very nice. Service was excellent. There was midday live music which was, at best, mediocre.Special Features:
- Where's the beef!mkc1VIPDined on 7/19/2013My favorite thing on the menu (almost) was the steak. It's gone, been gone for awhile. They replaced it with short-ribs which are good, but not as good as the steak. Besides, short-ribs is a "winter" dish.... We like eating there. It's casual and fun. All the employees are friendly and stop to say hi.Special Features:
- Perfect pupLeepriandluxeDined on 7/13/2013When you are in the mood for great beer, great food, and you want to bring the whole family, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Hopmonk TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013This restaurant has a very dependable menu and excellent wait staff. Food is good value and delicious. Good beer and wine selection. My only issue is that there are no daily specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice early evening outBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 7/9/2013This is a 4th time visit review. We always enjoy the outdoor seating area and this was no exception. The service was reasonably attentive and the waitress was pleasant and helpful. Draft beer selection terrific. Food was fresh and nicely prepared; mussels outstanding, hamburger also very good. Sweet potato fries good. Overall a good value and we would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm Sweet Potato FriesSoSweet487Dined on 7/7/2013Very tasty spot. We've been to the location in Sebastopol once before but this location is much better in our opinion. The waitress was very friendly and the food was so tasty! Just wish my stomach was able to pack in more food!Special Features:
- Wouldn't go again for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2013We live in Sonoma and had friends in for the weekend. Went to Hopmonk for outdoor dining and music. Service on our drink order took nearly 20 mins. And the food order was taken 15 mins after that. What we got could only be described as re-warmed bar food. Low on flavor, and lackluster taste. Only positive is a large beer selection....but you are in the heart of the wine country.Special Features:
- Ran out of several menu itemsfoodie7Dined on 6/30/2013They were out of the first and second draft beers i tried to order. They were also out of the food item I tried to order. The waiter's comment- "Well, it's Sunday night". It was 6:30 p.m. They need to plan better. Their menu is not that long. How hard is it to make sure they have all of the items?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tavernt6362bVIPDined on 5/9/2013Our food was awesome. Only thing I was not so hot on was the house beers. Not my style. Tasted a few the hopmonk porter tasted green like it did not sit on the yeast long enough to finish. The others were good quality but not my style. Overall a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We would like to complimentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/28/2013We would like to compliment Lena, our server. She was attentive to our dining needs, had a pleasant attitude, and greeted us with a smile.
- Relaxed reasonable pricedCarski22VIPDined on 4/26/2013Great place for sandwiches and bar food. Nice outdoor area with entertainment the night we dined. Our waiter was busy but great with customers. Good place to relax.Special Features:
- Above average local bar withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2013Above average local bar with extensive menu and very good food. Responsive service.Special Features:
- 2nd time eating here and stillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/14/20132nd time eating here and still great. sitting outside is a must in nice weather.Special Features:
- I loved this brewery/restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013I loved this brewery/restaurant! Such a nice ambiance outside with the string of white lights overhead. The beer was delicious and the food was ok. Overall, it was a great place to bring a big group of people for a casual outdoor dinner.Special Features:
- A Distressing Time in SonomaFrequentVisitorVIPDined on 3/17/2013The Hopmonk on St. Patrick's Day was a disappointment. They closed early and our waitress did not tell us this was going to happen. They ran out of food and it was early in the night. And we were disappointed that we had wasted our last night in Sonoma at this restaurant. HOWEVER, the manager came over to us when she heard that we were very upset over the above problems and apologized and GAVE US OUR MEAL FOR FREE. Now that seems to be a good thing, but only because I didn't have to pay for a lousy night out. I would not go back regardless of the free meal. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you will try it.
- We were pleasantly surprisedSandy94901VIPDined on 3/2/2013We were pleasantly surprised with Hopmonk Tavern. The food and service were great and the beer exceptional. The patio is absolutely lovely. Really an excellent choice for a casual meal in downtown Sonoma.Special Features:
- fun, informal place with lotsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/23/2013fun, informal place with lots of great selections of beers which you can sample before you decide. hearty fare in the pulled pork sandwiches and jambalaya. i like the mussels myself -- also with a hearty broth that has chunks of ham and red bell peppers. the grilled cheese sandwich is also delish with the crust of parmesan. service was good and efficient and friendly which is sometimes hard to do as the evening gets busy.Special Features:
- Saturday nights are hopping.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2013Saturday nights are hopping. Good bar scene which has good energy but if you want a quiet meal...suggest midweek. Good food, live entertainment appropriate for the space and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great beer, good food...I'dFoodfunDined on 2/9/2013Great beer, good food...I'd consider it to be upgraded bar food. The indoor atmosphere is lacking...nothing special in fact it felt crowded and loud. They have a huge outdoor seating area but we were there in the wrong season to enjoy that. Nice kids menu & food. Live band was setting up when we were leaving. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- We were there during the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/12/2013We were there during the evening of the Saturday playoff game. It was crowded, loud and service could have been better.
- You must try the pumpkin soup! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013You must try the pumpkin soup! We had a magician come to our table - named Frank - he was great and had us all wondering just how he did his magic tricks. This place is great for all ages. The selection of beers is impressive. You could spend an evening here. Great mix of local people and visitors to Sonoma.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/2/2013My husband surprised me with a last minute with "Hey let's go out" so I went along with it. It had been a while since we had gone out just us two. We decided to go to hOPMONK since our first experience was great. When we got there it was jammin, it was open mic night. They sat us right away. Our server Jake was attentive. Our drinks and food came out right away. The Meat and Cheese platter was delicious. I had the pumpkin soup, a butternut squash and arugala salad. Both items were OMG GOOOOD!!. My husband had a beet salad and I have to say I never saw him eat with such a smile on his face. We had such a great time that we went back the next day for Happy Hour. Our server Stevie was great. He had such great upbeat attitude. Will go back.Special Features:
- Take a break from the wine trailHappyGimletVIPDined on 12/30/2012Cross between a sports bar and gastro pub, simple food well done, better beer selection than wine selection which is cool.Special Features:
- Great place to take the familyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012Great place to take the family and have a fun meal. The magician was a real joy for Grandpa! Nice menu, burgers, salmon, fish and chips. Beer was also superb.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012Decided to have early dinner at Hopmonk and it was a yummy choice. We had started off with samosas and was surprised by the quantity in the plate! The plate was plenty to share with a group for 4. For main course, my husband tried the classic Fish and Chips and was pleased. The fish was fresh and nicely sized. I opted for the special; Salmon burger with garlic fries. Delicious! Whether you're on a date or out with a group of friends, this is a perfect casual place to dine.Special Features:
- Based on the suggestion ofJudyVIPDined on 12/16/2012Based on the suggestion of other open table diners, I tried the philly cheesesteak that's wrapped in naan and it was excellent! Only suggestion I would have is that the waiter ask the diner what size beer they want - when we got the beer that we ordered it was huge! We thought that was the only size but then later realized that there was a smaller size that would have been better. We were in the bar area watching the 49er game though so that may have contributed to some of the confusion as it was very noisy. They do have a very extensive beer selection.Special Features:
- The staff was particularlyjudithVIPDined on 12/7/2012The staff was particularly nice. And it made a great site for a BD lunch with our daughter.
- Had a great time with a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/1/2012Had a great time with a group of friends. Drink order took too long but the server apologized for the wait. The food came quickly after that and was delicious, good portions and reasonably priced. Bread pudding dessert was huge! It wasn't the best we've ever had but the size could've fed 3 people! Would def go back for a fun and casual night out. Just ask for a booth or a table near the back if you don't want too much noise.Special Features:
- Hopmonk is our family's favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012Hopmonk is our family's favorite gathering spot, accommodating myself in a disabled condition along with my electric chair. The food is always good, the ambiance is hip. And the staff are very friendly.Special Features:
- Lucky to call this place myOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/10/2012Lucky to call this place my local! Always good, great innovative food served with a great selection of beers and wine. What more could you ask for?
- Large dog friendly outdoorwarmspringslocalVIPDined on 11/10/2012Large dog friendly outdoor patio. Not in the Square so parking not so much of a problem. Food was beer friendly, creative and nice portions.Special Features:
- Beer Gardens were not opengillyopussVIPDined on 10/22/2012Beer Gardens were not open but we went to grab a quick dinner close to MacArthur Place so this was good. I had Chicken Fontina, which was good but nothing special. The Brat Dog my friend ordered was great, unique and huge so I got to eat a bunch of it. We split the sweet potato fries with lemon aioli which were very, very good. We ordered a 28 dollar bottle of Gloria Ferrer Sparkling Wine and it was delicious. SF Giants game was on so it was very loud and crazy in the bar but this is a fun place and food is better than a typical bar/pub.Special Features:
- This is a very good restaurantChance4meVIPDined on 10/20/2012This is a very good restaurant to get away from the bustle of the Square and yet be only a few blocks from downtown. Parking was easy here for a Saturday. Friendly, attentive waitress who was willing to make suggestions. The samosa appetizer was the best dish we ate. We were seated outside as requested, but the clear curtains they use for weather conditions (I think) were a distraction and made it seem as if the place was under construction.Special Features:
- Great patio and amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/13/2012Loved the outdoor patio, especially as it got darker out with their lighting. Food as well as beer on tap are absolutely incredible!Special Features:
- Great selection of beers includingbillpVIPDined on 10/11/2012Great selection of beers including some not easily found. Willingness to cater to the "out of town" group. Solidly good food.Special Features:
- We had a few hiccups withSarahVainVIPDined on 10/7/2012We had a few hiccups with the food we ordered, but, our waiter was the most attentive we had ever had here, and we were given the two food items for free due to kitchen error. That was really generous! We had a great time though - we sit outside usually. On this day the bar was busy with people watching the 49ers game. A nice laid back place for a "hipper" evening out in Sonoma (ha ha ha ha, hip, but this is where the younger people hang out!).Special Features: