Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: 6046691940x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
318 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (186)fit for foodies (144)notable wine list (120)great for outdoor dining (119)good for groups (117)hot spot (112)great for lunch (98)romantic (77)great for brunch (75)neighborhood gem (72)vibrant bar scene (70)late-night find (42)kid-friendly (26)scenic view (21)Show More
- Summer Lunch on the TerracesusanDined on 7/8/2014My friend and I had a great lunch at Joe Fortes this week. I ordered a cobb salad and was happy to hear that I could order any kind of cheese I would like to go in it. The server brought the entire salad bowl over and mixed it with dressing and cheese, etc. Then he served the salad onto my plate. Wow! It was delicious. Prior to the salad, I ate their ceviche. The server brought it over in a martini-like appliance, shook it and then served it onto my plate. Wow again! It, too, was yummy! Our main server was very friendly, professional and smiley. The entire staff was friendly and we noticed that they take pride in working at Fortes. We also noticed that clientele is #1 and service is #1. We plan on having lunch there next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingRicknearlVIPDined on 7/5/2014It was a special occasion,situated on the great patio. Service was excellent but the food was phenomenal. My partner had the Calamari and I had the Crabcake both very tasty and delicious. Main was the trio of seafood, halibut, salmon and prawn.....my mouth still waters now.... This was one our our best dinners ever in Vancouver and we go out every Friday and Saturday for dinner. Thank you Joe Fortes, we will be back. RickNEarlSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tourist meccailovelaVIPDined on 7/5/2014When my wife and I visited Vancouver we took a variety of walking and riding tours. Each driver pointed this restaurant out as a highlight. It's not a bad thing to have a great location that is a tourist destination but be prepared for crowds. We were lucky to be seated on an outdoor enclosed patio. The noise level was a little lessened and the view of Robson Street. The menu was large and varied. We went with the seafood and local wines which were both tasty. I would recommend Joe Fortes but it's not a hidden treasure or a jewel of the city. However it is a place to have a good meal in a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual slow servicefongster67Dined on 7/2/2014My wife and I have dined at Joe Fortes at least once a month. Yesterday was not a typical Joe's service quality. We were greeted well but the food service and care was not there which was out of the ordinary from previous experiences. I think it was just an off day or a new server starting out but otherwise food was as usual very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for adultsSeafooddietDined on 7/1/2014The place was full of very young kids. The woman at the next table was breast feeding her baby. There were young children at two other adjacent tables. The sable fish was very good but the halibut cheeks were very chewy and placed on a mishmash of vegetables that did not make a good presentation or have very much flavor. The waiter was good but very pushy and obvious he wanted to flip the table. This was our first night of vacation in Vancouver and fortunately our dinners since then at Blue Water Cafe and Coast were much much better.Special Features:
- Great Saefood/Knowledgeable SrvrsRobertDined on 7/1/2014This is my second visit to Joe Fortes. The Sablefish is phenomenal. The staff knows fish and the preparation. Describe what you want and they will steer you to an entree that will be perfect for you. I initially started out ordering one thing, and when I described what I wanted they shifted me to something slightly different. The change made for a perfect meal. Great for people who really appreciate eating seafood which has been prepared well. Likewise if you are unfamiliar with seafood, this is a great place to learn. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. I'm in Vancouver for another 3 nights, and am thinking of going back to Joe Fortes.Special Features:
- LivelywnctravellerDined on 6/30/2014Went half expecting a tourist trap but found good food, helpful servers and a lively atmosphere - the resturant is noisy so don't go for a quiet night out. Prices were comparable with similar restaurants in Vancouver. We sat on the balcony and had sufficient space (as well as a great people watching spot) but some tables downstairs did look very close together.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceisdaltsDined on 6/30/2014I often go there with my special customers. Normally we enjoy the food and their service, however, this time because of one worst attitude of server, I decided not to go their anymore. So sadSpecial Features:
- Good place for steak and seafoodCanuckinFinlandDined on 6/30/2014Not a bad place for some good food and wine. It's quite busy, so make sure you make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and outstanding serviceredsoxfanDined on 6/30/2014made my freinds birthday. One off the best dinners she has ever had.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014The experience was amazing from the beginning with the different staff that greeted us so professionally at the door and led us through the restaurant, to the wait staff that never missed a beat and filled up our waters about 4 times the moment it was empty, to the amazingly executed food, it was an overall fantastic experience. I brought a client here for lunch and was not dissapointed. I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Disappointing!CaliforniapalateDined on 6/28/2014I booked this well in advance but was given a outdoor table, which I didn't love. It was very loud a rather large party next time drinking & talking too loud for me! The food was mediocre. I was disappointed. Compared to the last time I was there just before Christmas, we had a great booth, the waiter was very engaging and the food was awesome. It was a let down!
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014The food and the atomsphere was excellent. Our waitress took great care of us. I believe her name was Ashlie.Special Features:
- Ladies night outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Outstanding dining experience as usual! We totally enjoyed out evening. Can't wait to go back and try something different on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Time with Group & KidsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014We made a reservation for this restaurant to coincide with our vacation in Vancouver with family. We had 6 people in our group which included my wife and I, our two kids (ages 5 and 8), and my wife's parents. Joe Fortes came highly recommended and reviewed and they definitely stood out. Our special time there was to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary for my in-laws. We initially had some concerns for our kids, but we maintain a high level of expectation regarding behavior and our kids did great! The service at Joe Fortes was not only outstanding, but they even went out of their way to ensure our kids were doing okay and had the food that they enjoyed. They also presented a special dessert to my in-laws for their anniversary. Superb!!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceChinezVIPDined on 6/25/2014Fresh dishes, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Tops on my list for any occasion - especially when entertaining out of town guests!Special Features:
- Amazing seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/23/2014We had heard that this was a not to miss restaurant during our visit to Vancouver. After dining here we would agree. We had one of the seafood specials that you can share, and there was an amazing amount of wonderful food. We will make it a point to dine at Joe Fortes' again on our future trips to Vancouver.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerDevSharDined on 6/22/2014The ambiance combined with amazing customer service and delectable menu made this one of our most memorable dining experiences ever. A definite recommendation for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe Fortes Disappointment.MargooDined on 6/22/2014I have always looked forward to going to Joe Fortes. I have come to expect above average service and great food. On our last visit, the hostess who sat us was little short of surly. She glared at us and everyone else in her path. We were seated in the middle of the room. I shouldn't complain though because the next group of people were also sat in the middle of the room and that group was Bobby McFarrin and his musicians. We were in the fish bowl together The waiter was slow in an uncrowded restaurant. He pushed a special that was dried out halibut over eggs benedict. Even my daughter's seafood salad was mediocre. The only bright spot in the experience was a very cordial and competent bus boy whose service was attentive and intelligent.
- Really ImpressedsundaybrunchDined on 6/22/2014Everyone in our group raved about the experience at Joe Fortes, in fact they will all be coming back in the near future. Its hard to get everyone together with busy schedules and when every ones expectations are exceeded you know it is a good venue. Loved the food we ordered a variety of dishes from breakfast to a meal, service was fantastic, deserts were to die for, waiter was attentive and the atmosphere was great for a group not overpowering.Special Features:
- Great Good, Great ServiceShawnDDined on 6/21/2014We had the surf and turf dinner for two. The steaks were fantastic, perfectly done, tender and tasty. The addition of a lovely savory wine-reduction sauce just kicked a perfect steak to whole new heights! Scallops that melt in your mouth, smooth and buttery - the best scallops I have ever had. The lobster was delicious as well. Now their snow-crab could use a little work - we found it a tad dry, overcooked and under-seasoned but (unfortunately) that seems to be true of many restaurants. Not a big deal. The service was very good. They were attentive and mindful that there was a baby in our party that night. Not just our waiter, but everyone including the hostess, other waiters and wandering supervisors. I would go back for sure.Special Features:
- Very overratedMissmaryVIPDined on 6/21/2014Very disappointed after booking dinner at Joe's for 8 of us. Inflated prices for food and wine and the most expensive dishes wee pushed by the waitress when we asked for recommendations. When we asked for a recommendation on a local BC white wine again we were recommended the bottle for $120. After placing our food orders we were then told it would take at least 45 mins for our food to come out so those who did not order appetizers should maybe rethink. All in all, we felt ripped off for mediocre food and service. The best thing about the place is the bar and the ambience. Would not go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014It is a fantastic place to celebrate a family birthday. The food, service and ambiance were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNickyDined on 6/21/2014We have been here before on our visits to Vancouver and enjoyed it. This time we were disappointed we were with another couple and the noise level was bad. We have sat up stairs on the top level before and it was much better noise wise. Our friend wears hearing aids and can't hear very well. Also, we were rushed to eat, they kept coming by the table and taking our plates away even when we weren't quite finished, which I think is rude. We had to pour our own wine in our glasses, and we had a quick rushed dinner which I don't like to do. We go out to dinner to relax and enjoy. Disappointed this time, so we won't rush back, but I am sure we will go again one day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Great place to eat. Food and service outstanding. I would eat here any time.Special Features:
- jleblancDined on 6/21/2014The staff was friendly from the moment I walked the door with execellent atmosphere and service. I would strongly recommend it for anybodySpecial Features:
- Last timeJordiDined on 6/20/2014It was much worst that when we went to Vancouver 9 years ago.
- Crab cakes recommendedDineOut2OftenDined on 6/20/2014Highly recommend their crab cake... wasn't too dry and had a very nice crispiness to the outside while the inside remained moist! Tasty!Special Features:
- WOW DOUBLE WOW!luv2singDined on 6/19/2014On the recommendation of our fabulous server Peter, I dined on the tenderest, sweetest, yummiest halibut cheeks! My husband and sister in law enjoyed the seafood trio, and my brother in law loved his sablefish .... All this glory after sampling two platters of different oysters....shared two desserts ... If we weren't off to see Michael Buble, we could have languished the evening away...as it turned out, we sat at Buble's favourite table on the rooftop! Treat yourself...you won't be disappointed...Special Features:
- The Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014This is our favorite restaurant. Use this restaurant for our special occasions. Never disappointed. Food and service always outstanding.Special Features:
- Always consistentGringoDined on 6/18/2014I know when I have dinner at Joes the food and service will always be up to parSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exemplary serviceBoboSchlemielDined on 6/18/2014The service is what makes Joe Fortes so special. We had a sudden last-minute addition to our reservation, but the staff accommodated us easily. Our waitress was fantastic. Definitely coming back whenever we have a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveyFishDined on 6/17/2014This is our 3rd visit to Joe's. We come here whenever we visit Vancouver. Always GREAT!!Special Features:
- Not as good as a year ago...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014Went to Joe's twice almost exactly 1 yr ago. Great experience on both occasions. This time not so good. Before water was brought to tour table we were being asked for our dinner selections...very odd server. I asked if we could have a cocktail first and that is about all we got for the next 1.25 hours. The food was OK but I would surely look into Coast down the street as everything was great there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed with the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014I have been there several times for dinner and happy hour,always been great experience. This time was not so much.I had a friend and her family coming from Asia to visit Vancouver(they all speak perfect English btw).The server appeared to be annoyed by the fact we were not decisive on the menu or responsive to him,as we already told him that we needed some time. We were given an impression that we were not welcome there (not sure if it is because we are Asian).Also, the food took about an hour after we ordered.This server totally failed and might consider not coming back for dinner. I even told my friend that the service is always excellent there.I think I disappointed her,as she could sense that her and family were not treated well there.Special Features:
- A PetersFoodyVIPDined on 6/17/2014I love going to Joe Fortes! It's fantastic for lunch and dinner. The food is great and the service is spectacular!Special Features:
- Fathers Day dinnerZeddyDined on 6/15/2014Service was great went for Father's Day dinner. They were great to my 5 year old. Even warned us of delay in kitchen so we could time our orders. My steak was undercooked so they had to fix that had to wait longer than I liked as everyone else had their food. Overall food was good and service even better. Space was an issue as we were crammed in a booth with tables surrounding us that we had no room to get in and out. Go for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's DaySavoury4meDined on 6/15/2014The 6 of us had a wonderful time eating the delicious offerings at Joe Fortes. Our server Mike was fabulous. The raw oysters are to die for. The linguine, cioppino, swordfish, calamari, crab tempura and the days trio were amazing. The desserts are show stopping and delectable. We will return another day, absolutely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre ufcOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014excellent stopping point before going to the ufc. oysters and beers were fantastic. a good variety of oysters. there are few places open for a good meal for lunch on a saturdaySpecial Features:
- Second time at Joe FortesLuv2eatDined on 6/13/2014We first dined at Joe Fortes over 10 years ago and had an outstanding experience...so we decided to come back as we were taking our grandson on a cruise to Alaska. However, I am disappointed to say that we did not have as good an experience as the first time. My husband and I both ordered Halibut with artichoke ravioli and the sauce that came with it just simply overpowered the rest of the food..way too much sauce. Besides that, my halibut was not done....it was still translucent and cold on the inside. I will say that the waiter, Richard, was very very nice and immediately took my food away and brought me another plate, this time with the sauce on the side...much better..., and a complimentary creme brûlée which was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.