Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: 6046691940x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
323 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (186)fit for foodies (151)good for groups (124)great for outdoor dining (124)notable wine list (118)hot spot (117)great for lunch (101)romantic (82)neighborhood gem (82)vibrant bar scene (74)great for brunch (72)late-night find (38)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (20)Show More
- Eat at Joe FortesMissPinzDined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend and I are here for our two year anniversary. We had the surf and turf platter which was very delicious!!! Quite pricey, but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service overall were quite good. The table itself was very small and crowded. All 4 of us had water and a drink and the bread on the table, when the appetizers arrived we had to shuffle things around to make it all fit. The restaurant in general had the same feeling. It was like they were trying to shove as many tables into the restaurant as they possible could, It detracted from the atmosphere.
- mouth watering fillet mignon!azenivDined on 8/30/2014Great service! Great food! Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cousins for lunchJazzedtobehereDined on 8/30/2014I brought my cousins from Australia to lunch. I wanted to give them an experience, and we weren't disappointed. The service here is fabulous, there is a buzz happening, it gets very busy, very fast. Frenchy, the Maître 'd is a great personality and made our lunch most enjoyable. I have come here for a few special occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Our FavouriteGordDined on 8/29/2014We've been to Joe Fortes several times, some of which have been for Happy Hour for Oysters and Manhattans, dinner and lunch. The latest on August 30, 2014. I had the Trio Seafood with a side of large Nova Scotia scallops and my wife had the Salmon Special. Both were perfectly cooked. As a side note, in my view, Joe Fortes makes the best Manhattan drink. While we like to try different restaurants, Joe Fortes is a perennial for dining. Service, as usual, is always impeccable whether at the bar or dining.Special Features:
- Delicious food, but overpricedViJKDined on 8/29/2014Went here on the recommendation of a trusted friend. Loved the luxurious look of the place, the upscale furnishings, the giant glass window on both sides of the entry way, and the live pianist. However, my overall takeaway was that it was a bit presumptuous of a place. The prices are extraordinary, and the food isn't. It is great food, don't get me wrong, but the high prices lead to high expectations. However, I can understand that the prices may reflect the expenses involved in training such knowledge staff, offering Ocean Wise selections, local and sustainably-sourced food, etc. Not really my type of place, though I was very impressed by the extensive variety of all menus (dinner, wine, cocktails, dessert, etc.).Special Features:
- discerningdinerDined on 8/29/2014As always it was a pleasure to dine at Joe Forte's. The food and service were impeccable!Special Features:
- Love this placeFrequentVanVisitorDined on 8/29/2014I go to Joe Fortes at least once every time I am in town. Great food, great service and comfortable atmosphere(casual to formal, all is welcome).Special Features:
- ALWAYS A GEMMigsVIPDined on 8/28/2014It has been 10 years since I've visited Vancouver last. I was a little concerned to Joe Fortes would have fallen out of favor by then.. My worries were ill founded !! Not only is Joe Fortes a great restaurant I had expected in years past it is even better today!! We dined in the upstairs patio which has a fabulous view of downtown Vancouver Our server: Sarah was magnificent! Joe Fortes is an absolute must stop in and visit to downtown VancouverSpecial Features:
- Dinner at Joe ForteslimamanDined on 8/28/2014The food and service (Steve was our waiter) were excellent, but the noise level was almost unmanageable. Moreover, the piano player was less than stellar. Danielle, a really lovely person, was more than accommodating, finding a seating that I preferred (but which I had to decline because my dinner mate couldn't manage the situation).Special Features:
- casualdinerDined on 8/28/2014The restaurant did their best to find a quiet spot for us on the 2nd floor in the corner, but it was still too loud. The live piano was a nice touch, however it was also competing with the overall ambient noise, you knew it was playing, but not always sure what tune. Overall, too noisy for our group. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- very nice lunchTongDined on 8/27/2014great place for lunch but reservations are suggested if you want to avoid waiting. busy, energetic crowd during lunch. food is always goodSpecial Features:
- AwesomeSimonDined on 8/26/2014We go every time we are in town. Great food and ambiance. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Awesome experiencetgriffinDined on 8/24/2014Had not been to Joe Fortes for years...still the same excellent service, food is outstanding and was pleasantly surprised to find the kids menu. We were were so happy that the server took initiative to help celebrate my husband birthday with a candle in creme brûlée and sing along to "Happy birthday". We had lost a wedding ring while we were there and it was found and return by the staff...Wow...The music was also so much fun and entertaining. thanks JoeSpecial Features:
- Special occasionEllebelleDined on 8/24/2014It was our first time dining at Joe's..Too bad we couldn't get a quiet table for our anniversary... We were sat between three families that were very loud. Hard to enjoy the company of significant other when placed right in the centre of the room. I didn't think the ambiance was romantic at all. Wine was really yummy and we had some delicious oysters. The main course was quiet average. I expected amazing flavours for the price... Was let down by lack of seasoning... Service was exceptional, it was the waitress that made our experience excellent and not the food.Special Features:
- OverpricedKandMDined on 8/24/2014Our waiter was excellent - a real professional. The food was good. The bill, however, gave me indigestion. There was a jarring disconnect between our dining experience and the cost. I wish this restaurant all the best but next time I'm celebrating, I will go somewhere else where we can get more value for our dollars.
- Classic qualityfoodfanDined on 8/23/2014We ate here on a Saturday at prime dinner hour. Thankfully I had made a reservation as the place was packed and wait times for walk-ins was long. We ordered a variety of appetizers as well as oysters and everything was delicious. The table was a bit small and quickly got overpacked with plates but the staff did an amazing job of clearing and making space as soon as we had finished a dish. Also, love that they have 1/2 liters of wine - made it so easy for sharing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sea FoodpickyeaterDined on 8/23/2014Had Sea food platter for brunch. Wine selection help was great and great time.Special Features:
- Joe does it againSteakloverDined on 8/22/2014Had dinner at Joe Fortes last night and it was everything I hoped for. Great food, food atmosphere and incredible service. If you want an old school stake and seafood experience, this is the place! Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for seafoodtammyDined on 8/22/2014I ordered a steak and it wasn't that tender, I thought after this is a seafood restaurant. My husband had seafood linguini and it was excellent. Also I thought it was supposed to be topped with onion rings which I didn't get. It was so busy, waitress said 40 minute wait it was 50. Also we had the table upstairs by all the servers which wasn't the best.Special Features:
- Great tacosangieDined on 8/22/2014Love the fish tacos at Joe Fortes. You can ask for them grilled rather than deep fried if you prefer. So fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- FantasticWorldRoverDined on 8/21/2014The food and service at Joes are always fantastic and If you are budget aware there are Joes lunch & dinner deals giving you a 3 course meal for a reasonable price. A must whether you live or are just visiting Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feldDined on 8/19/2014We had a very good time celebrating my wife's birthday. We especially admired the friendly, efficient service. Our steaks were very good, done exactly as we'd asked for. The creme brule was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at JoesAdrianDined on 8/16/2014Arrived 20 minutes early, but seated straight away. Restaurant ultra busy, but service was excellent. Went with the recommended BC Pinot Gris and ordered the crab cakes followed by fish and chips. Was treated to a wasabi tuna taster in bertween courses. Food was first rate. Great experience, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!DanicusDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I came here for dinner for our 15th Anniversary and we had a fantastic dinner (as always), with fantastic service. My wife's a huge fan of the Miso Crusted Sablefish, and I tried the Beef Short Rib (Chef's Creation). Both of us found the food to be fantastic, including the "2-of-each" of all the East Coast Oysters (I prefer them more than the West Coast oysters lately). I also placed a quick note in the reservation that it was our anniversary, and I noticed our menus included a congratulatory note on our Anniversary right on the menu! Service was also excellent, and the atmosphere is very energetic - a definite hot spot that provides on atmosphere, service, food, drink and people.Special Features:
- Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop Househks555Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, Talented Pianist, Fair Service (Server looked really busy when we arrived, but was more attentative when the evening died down.), Great drinks, Table was awkward to sit in.Special Features:
- Epic dinner and great experienceAdrienne81Dined on 8/14/2014Came with two friends from Australia. The service was too notch. The appetizers to dinner the wine oh my goodness I have never eaten so well. The sauces that came with our food was delicious. Everything was amazing. We talked about the food the whole next day Highly highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow, slow, slowwesterngardenerDined on 8/13/2014I've been to Joe Fortes several times. The food was awesome, but while the service was attentive, the kitchen (i.e. time from ordering to plates on the table was abysmal) was incredibly slow. Took over 2 hours for our entree to be served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointeeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Food was good but not great. Extremely noisy restaurant, hard to carryon a conversation, which was acerbated by an extremely loud piano player that did nothing to enhance the ambiance. However, the service was by far the worst I have ever experienced, in Vancouver or anywhere else. We had to wait for almost a hour between our appetizer being finished and the main course being served. They tried to placate us with a complimentary cup of chowder and then apologize for the poor service by giving a free dessert.
- A Keeper!lovetocookandeatDined on 8/10/2014Staff dealt quickly and efficiently with our request for a quieter table. Impressed with how they followed up to make sure we were satisfied with the new table. Servers were friendly, warm, and professional. Food was delicious. We asked the server how the veggies were prepared, they were so perfect, melt-in-your mouth, and she promptly went to ask the chef and reported back to us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!RyderDined on 8/10/2014Just all around great. Great food. Great service. You get what what you pay for, and Joe Fortes definitely fit the bill. Next time, I want to try a seat on their rooftop patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Calamari!!LivetoeatDined on 8/7/2014Not our first time, we come back because the food is great! We loved the calamari - best ever and the pan fried oysters delicious. Fish & Chips amazing! Was too full for dessert but will certainly go back again and again!Special Features:
- MissyMDined on 8/5/2014I find it a bit too pretentious for my taste, but great for client meetings. The place to be seen, for sure. Also, the hostess service is one of the worst I've ever seen (and I've visited the restaurant twice).Special Features:
- good foodfoodDined on 8/2/2014enjoyed dinner at Joe Fortes; excellent service and excellent food. It was quite noisy; one little girl was actually covering her ears!!Special Features:
- Forte's is formidable!DarkwingDined on 8/2/2014This is the 5th time I have visited Joe Fortes. I have not been disappointed. The service, food quality and restaurant are always great. I highly recommend this restaurant. I have dined for business, for fun and for romance at Joe Forte's and my experience for each occasion was excellent. I will come back to Joe Forte's, and I will recommend it to anyone. Joe Forte's has a very broad menu, I particularily am impressed with the selections from their oyster bar and the fresh fish on the menu. Please do yourself a favour...go to Joe Forte's!Special Features:
- Great Fresh Seafoodjimmyluv10Dined on 8/1/2014Great food, excellent service, highly recommend Joe's if your in the mood for fresh seafood and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodSillyRabbitDined on 8/1/2014I booked with OpenTable, but we still had to wait for our table to be ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So hot couldn't enjoyMaryVIPDined on 7/31/2014Need to get some air or fix what you have. Miserable evening with sweat running down our backs. Food pretty good. Service good. Overcrowded with too many tables. Couldn't move our chairs without hitting another. Horrible experience.
- Good food, but way to crowdedYVRTimVIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was good (fried pickles were excellent!), and really good selection of oysters. Service was attentive and knowledgeable, however the restaurant was so overcrowded and loud that we had a hard time hearing our waiter. The surrounding tables were so close that my chair back was touching the chair back of the table behind me. Would avoid this restaurant in the future due to how overcrowded and loud it was.
- Very nice dinneralty88Dined on 7/29/2014We were a party of 8. The service was great and friendly. The appetizers were very good but they are not mean for sharing. (Crab cake, calamari and ceviche). The food was delicious! The only thing was that the dining room was hot, it's summer and I don't know if their A/C was working properly, but I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.