Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
777 Thurlow St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joefortes.ca/
- Phone: 6046691940x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Wayne Sych
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Visit Joe Fortes and you are welcomed into an environment whose vibrant sights and sounds are as enticing as the menu is. With our name inspired by a local legend famous for his warm, welcoming nature, we naturally believe that hospitality is key in creating a memorable group dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Norma Cisneros 6046854040x
- Entertainment: Live Piano 7 days a week
A word from Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House
Joe Fortes has been specializing in classic, American cuisine since 1985. The turn-of-the-century inspired dining room features 30-foot high ceilings and six unique dining venues that include brand new green roof top patio. Executive Chef Wayne Sych prepares each dish with a focus on natural flavours and features the finest ingredients from Pacific Northwest farmers, fishermen and other food artisans. Serving more than 50 kinds of fresh fish, premium oysters and thick chops daily, Joe’s signature dishes have become a favourite with locals, celebrities & tourists alike. Joe’s is known as the best oyster bar in Vancouver and is home to some of North America's best oyster shuckers. Our award winning wine list features over 400 selections from British Columbia, California, the Pacific Northwest and prominent wine regions throughout the world. Enjoy a delicious cocktail at our bar with live piano music nightly or at our Roof Garden Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (188)fit for foodies (152)great for outdoor dining (126)good for groups (124)notable wine list (120)hot spot (119)great for lunch (102)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (83)vibrant bar scene (74)great for brunch (73)late-night find (39)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (21)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Great food. Great service. My friend from Toronto enjoyed the mussels and lobster. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Dissappoints!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Each time I come into Vancouver I make a point of spending time at Joe Fortes. The food and the staff are exceptional. I have introduced many friends to Joe Fortes and they have become immediate fans of the resturant. Thank you for a spectacular dining experience!!Special Features:
- Great restaurantlovetodineoutDined on 9/26/2014Joe Fortes deserves an outstanding rating. The food is fresh and prepared perfectly. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphereHildaDined on 9/24/2014We odered the seafood tower it was great that we can tired several seafood with a great deal. We also odered two kinds of oysters and they all tasted very fresh and juicy. Plus, We love the bread dipping the lobster oil with balsamic vinegar and wondering where to get both products. However, we had a good time and will come back sometimes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular and noisyfinetushDined on 9/24/2014Good food, excellent service a bit too noisy for my liking. Why have televisions on the walls on the rooftop terrace? Are they really necessary in a fine dining establishment?Special Features:
- DinnerEdithDined on 9/24/2014We enjoyed the Food and Service. It was my Birthday and so we went to have a nice Dinner, but it. was very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster heavenChinalohaDined on 9/23/2014If you want great oysters while in Vancouver BC, you need search no further than Joe Fortes. We came on the recommendation of friends and it did not disappoint. We ate 3 different varieties of oysters - BC, WA state and East coast. Each one was great in its own way--super fresh. We also ate fried oysters (yum--great breading, but not too much breading) and the most succulent of halibut cheeks. And, we had to buy the lobster oil to take home with us. Heavenly! When we come to Vancouver again, we will definitely make this a stop!Special Features:
- Great SeafoodMMJRDined on 9/22/2014Tried peppercorn Ahi Tuna, excellent. .Special Features:
- Very disappointing, not recommendRoseCityFoodie1Dined on 9/22/2014We went to Joe Fortes expecting a fabulous experience. Instead the $90 (!!) Alaskan king crab legs had been steamed so much they were completely water logged. I sent them back and ordered the crab cake instead. It was probably the worst crab cake I've ever had. Almost no crab, and quite tasteless. The clam chowder was also terrible. It didn't taste like clams and had very few clams but a lot of potatoes which were pasty tasting.
- Excellent halibut and salmonHelenDined on 9/21/2014Although we messed up on the booking (we came a day early) we were still shown to an excellent table on the ground floor. The waiter was attentive but not overly so. The seasonal halibut and sockeye salmon were mouth-wateringly delicious. The only downside is that we don't live in Vancouver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarryVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were on vacation and ate here. While pricey, the service was great, the outdoor dining was wonderful and the food was excellent. As a nice touch, we shared a complimentary dessert as our server, Henry, noted we were celebrating a 6 year anniversary.Special Features:
- andreacarlyleDined on 9/20/2014Thank you very much for the wonderful service and especially acknowleging my Dad's 80th birthday. It was also wonderful that when I booked online the restaurant was able to accomodate my request for a booth. We had a great time and can hardly wait to come back! Great to see Frenchie again!Special Features:
- Couldn't Have Been Any Better!VanCityFoodAddictDined on 9/20/2014It was mine and my boyfriend's first time at Joe's and honestly, we couldn't have had a better experience. Aside from the out dated decor, the service was top notch and the food was outstanding! We were blown away by the flavours we experienced. It was our first time trying raw, shucked oysters and let me tell you, it was life changing! Yes, you have to pay a pretty penny for what you get, but believe me when I say that it will 100% be worth it! Absolutely no negative feedback to give and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyCentus26Dined on 9/19/2014The restaurant was extremely load and hard to carry on a conversation. The food was expensive and average at best. We waited to long for our main course though that didn't seem to be the norm as people around us were getting theirs. A great restaurant if all you want is to see and been seen.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The food was outstanding, the service was impeccable. We couldn't ask for anything better. If you love Oysters, you MUST try the Oyster's Rockefeller.. absolutely do die for. The Surf and Turf for two was amazing, but you could feed 3 on it easily... and then our server surprised us with a nice dessert for our anniversary, compliments of Joe Fortes. This restaurant is a must!Special Features:
- disappointingMomof2Dined on 9/19/2014Over priced food, smarmy waiter and shell in the crab cake, that the waiter dismissed as being par for the course if you eat crab - I don't think so! We were really looking forward to eating here after hearing so much about it (and we are from out of province), but the food was only "ok" certainly not all it was cracked up to be. I didn't finish eating the crab cake because I was getting shell in several bites, and the waiter acted as if I was being fussy - if they can't screen out pieces of shell, that's pretty poor. He reluctantly took it off the bill, but we will never go back there - better places to eat seafood in Vancouver I'm sure.
- Time to upgrade bar furniture?localboyDined on 9/18/2014Lunch with a couple of business associates was great at Joe's, as usual. They are so consistent!!! Only thing I can think of that might improve the experience would be to update the furniture in the bar, which is where we were sitting for lunch. While the furniture has served them well, those cheap old chairs are ready to collapse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meeting spotmaggie1Dined on 9/16/2014I met a friend that I hadn't sen for ages and we started with a bottle of wine and were not rushed to order. The waiter brought us some wonderful lobster oil infused with balsamic vinegar that is to die for. We had several dinner items we were interested in and our waiter guided us to a very worthwhile decision. Our food was served piping hot, was beautifully presented and most of all was delicious. Dessert pavlova with coffee finished us for the night and we definitely will return to try the other interesting entrees we didn't get to sample.Special Features:
- Great findRockhopperDined on 9/16/2014We only stayed in Vancouver for two nights and this evening was very memorable. The food of course was excellent. Noise levels are fairly high so romantic it isn't!Special Features:
- DisappointedCaliTravlerVIPDined on 9/15/2014It was an hour between salads and entree, which is unacceptable when dining at 6:30. However my biggest complaint was how the manager responded to my inquiry: "this is not Applebee's and it takes longer to prepare fresh fish". Great restaurants know how to handle kitchen back ups, this is not one.Special Features:
- 50th Birthdaytlcx3Dined on 9/14/2014The staff, food and space were excellent - no complaints at all.Special Features:
- First Joe's, then Elton'sJamesBondDined on 9/13/2014When we want to indulge, we go to Joe's. We love the oysters, the drinks, the ambiance and the people. I especially love that beautiful painting/print of all the jazzy people in the 40's (I think).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood skillet - a hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I think this item is worth highlighting on your facebook page, as it's my new favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly FabulousMargievilleDined on 9/12/2014Was at the restaurant twice in a two week period. With a group of 12 for a birthday dinner (Saturday night) and then again for an after show dinner with a friend (Friday night). In both cases we were greated promptly, seated efficiently and pleasantly. The service in both occasions was phenomenal to the point where on both nights my dinner companions commented on how great the service was. Food is always fantastic, but then again I've come to expect that from Joe Fortes. It is one of the only places I've eaten in Vancouver where the food has been spot on each and every time with no exceptions. Perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked. I would also really love to kiss their pastry chef. The pavlova is to die for!!Special Features:
- As usaualJohnMDined on 9/12/2014Great food, excellent service. We have never been disappointed.....Special Features:
- Good TimesHolidayFoodieDined on 9/11/2014The food was good. The service was spectacular. This is a popular Vancouver spot and I recommend going at least once if you are visitingSpecial Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014The server (Peter) was great and very attentive. When the main meal took a little long we had soup on the house, that was really smart. But, the hostess was only okay, a little brusque in my opinion. The fish was nicely cooked and portions were fair but the prices are quite high for both food and the cocktails. The style of the menu looked a bit out of date and there were no vegetarian options which makes it seem a bit out of touch with Vancouver. Was glad to finally say I went and we did enjoy the rooftop and its atmosphere.Special Features:
- First visitFiahDined on 9/10/2014The seafood linguine was amazing! The staff were very friendly. The oysters that the waiter recommended were good. Will visit again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond amazing servicespecialtimesDined on 9/7/2014Amazing service. Would recommend to anyone. The food was great, the service amazing on every level. The servers were up-beat & pleasant, so helpful and attentive, picking up on everything that was required at any given moment and attending to it without being intrusive. It just was beyond amazing. We were celebrating a 65th birthday and everything about the service and the food made us feel that we had made the absolute best choice in choosing Joe Fortes for our special occasion.Special Features:
- One of our favourite brunch placestravelbug72Dined on 9/7/2014Brunch is always a pleasurable experience. We know the patio is first come, first served. Despite this, they were able to hold a table for our party of 13 for Sunday brunch. Our server was very attentive, efficient and friendly. For a party of our size, she automatically got us separate bills and advised us in advance of the 15% gratuity for larger parties. Our water glasses were always full, which we appreciated since the rooftop patio can get lots of sun. Try the lobster bennie or the fried chicken and waffles. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Great PlaceIvonnaHumpalottDined on 9/7/2014I never seen any restaurants like Joe Fortes that goes the extra step and send out thank you cards to their customers, I am very impressed.Special Features:
- very busy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014even though had a reservation, still had to wait extra 15 minutes. stuck in the corner right next to the backside of another diner. the server was good enough to move us to another table. the food was great but took around 45 minutes to arrive. my last visit was just before last Christmas. everything was great. on time seating, food came to the table quickly and the restaurant was just as busy then as my recent visit. I actually had to go back outside and ask the hostess how much longer my wait was going to be, when no one came to inform me how much longer I had to wait. for a well respected restaurant I had better expectations. not sure if I would return but I will say the food was great.Special Features:
- Service was down.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We've made this our special celebration spot and have had great food and service in the past. The food was still delicious but the service wasn't as great as in the past. The guy had difficulty understanding parents requests about not filling up the glass full of water and we had to ask for a small glass instead of wine glasses for the kids twice. It seemed to put him out! Also we did not appreciate all the emails and phone calls regarding our on-line reservation and will not reserve on-line again in the future. It's definitely been better before. Also if you order a plate for 2 it would make sense to give a equal amount of scallops don't you think? They also never returned and asked if I wanted another drink.Special Features:
- Best Seafoodhowerton48Dined on 9/5/2014The best selection of oysters we have ever seen. Outstanding fresh fish. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. For seafood in Vancouver this is the only place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 9/3/2014OMG! Om nom nom! JF went out of their way to make our 31st wedding anniversary a night to remember. Right down to the personalized menu congratulating us. Our waiter Elvis's service was extra special. We had an end table on the roof overlooking the streets below. The food was fabulous, timely (but not rushed), and mouth watering. We enjoyed every bite. Definitely take in this spot if you're visiting or looking for a night out on the town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went on recommendationImclDined on 9/2/2014We went here after a recommendation from relatives. So glad we went,the food was fabulous and the serving staff lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent servicekpol1Dined on 9/1/2014Very good food with fresh seafood, and excellent wine list. Our waiter really knew his wines and made excellent recommendations. Even though we didn't have the intention of having oysters, our waiter gently coaxed us into trying some, and they were quite delicious! Outdoor seating up stairs is very nice, quiet, intimate, and smoke-free!!!!! Major bonus points for that.Special Features:
- Great servicepaulchungDined on 8/31/2014Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday. We were seated on the outdoor patio. It was my first time on the patio. It was nice but I would prefer the tables were a bit further apart. However, the food was great and the service was really excellent, which is what draws us to this place over the years. We had oysters (both the happy hour specials and our regular malpeques) and mussels for appies, then tuna and Arctic char. The meal was great but the service was excellent. Our waiter was friendly, humorous and attentive.Special Features:
- Eat at Joe FortesMissPinzDined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend and I are here for our two year anniversary. We had the surf and turf platter which was very delicious!!! Quite pricey, but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service overall were quite good. The table itself was very small and crowded. All 4 of us had water and a drink and the bread on the table, when the appetizers arrived we had to shuffle things around to make it all fit. The restaurant in general had the same feeling. It was like they were trying to shove as many tables into the restaurant as they possible could, It detracted from the atmosphere.