David Todd's City Tavern
150 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
David Todd's City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidtoddscitytavern.com/
- Phone: 9739938066x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:30a - 2:00p
Saturday, 12:00p - 3:00p
Dinner: Monday-Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
"Happy Hour" Monday-Friday 5:00p-7:00p
Special Drink Prices and $5.00 appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Prusin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private room for 12p to 25p We can design a specific menu for your needs. Call for availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining with its flowing curtain wall and large decorative mirrors is perfect for 12 to 25 guests. It's the perfect size for a business dinner meeting, training session or family get together. We have pre-fix menus available or we can design a menu just for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Redmond 9739938066x
- Special Events:
A word from David Todd's City Tavern
David Todd's City Tavern is an upscale casual restaurant in a comfortable atmosphere in Morristown, New Jersey featuring contemporary American cuisine with an award winning wine list, (Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2012) as well as boutique beers and martinis!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Todd's City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (25)notable wine list (18)hot spot (14)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (8)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- not going back for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014not a lot of food for the price, loud but the waiter was great.Special Features:
- Pre-theater at David ToddDonnaDined on 4/25/2014My group of 4 enjoyed our first time dining at David Todd prior to our show at MPAC. Wonderful menu variety and cocktails. Terrific knowledgeable server Eric who was spot on with our questions. Truthfully, as a group of Polish-Americans I chose this spot specifically when I saw "Short Rib Pierogies" on the appetizer menu. Having been used to the traditional potato/sauerkraut pierogies all of our lives we just had to sample this wonderful creation. And it did not disappoint. We all chose differently that evening with our entrees and we all savored and shared our choices. No sour grapes here. Will definitely return for repeats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasurable DiningmomjanDined on 4/23/2014We went to David Todd's City Tavern for a pre-show dinner. The restaurant is very inviting, the waitstaff was extremely pleasant, knowledgeable, and aware of the time limits for dinner due to the show. The food was very good and we thoroughly enjoyed dinner. I live locally so I eat in Morristown just about every week and weekend. David Todd's is a very nice place. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceTrendy2Dined on 4/21/2014The decor is very nice and the food is scrumptious. Enjoyed our visit and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!tazdine22Dined on 4/19/2014We had arrived late for our reservation because the show at the theater ran late, but our reservation was still held, and we were still seated right away. Thank you for that! Dinner was great, and the service was just perfect, and attentive. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Nice meal, excellent serviceNoaccountingfortasteDined on 4/16/2014Invited to a business function in the bar of David Todd's, enjoyed the atmosphere and good bartender. Decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary there. Went mid-week and for the most part enjoyed the food and drinks. Then, surprisingly, we were served two cappuccinos luke warm. Through that I realized why the dining experience on the whole was tops: Fred, our waiter. During the entire time there, Fred was the perfect waiter. All was timed perfectly, no hovering, no disappearing, he did everything just right, including the cappuccino fix. The other servers and bus staff, like that bartender, were also observed to be tops at their work. One caveat: if you must have gluten free, beware the errant crouton in your salad.
- foodieDined on 4/12/2014From the greeting at the entrance to the "Goodnight!" David Todd's was a delightful experience. The service is extremely cordial and the service first rate. Ask for Ted to wait on you. I doubt that any of us like to sit at tables for two right next to each other. But it did not diminish an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Fun with FriendstimmDined on 4/5/2014Good Food, nice restaurant/cool vibe....good for out of town friends!Special Features:
- Second visitKimSVIPDined on 4/4/2014The service and the food has been consistently excellent on both of our visits. We will definitely keep this restaurant in our frequent visit list.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surpriseddock1Dined on 3/27/2014We tried this restaurant because of its proximity to the theatre. The staff was friendly and very knowledgable re my wine choice and the menu. All of us enjoyed our meals. The sauteed scallops appetizer was delicious, and the pork special was fantastic. The portions weren't huge, but plenty of food. We are planning to return for our second visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Drinking and Dining ExperienceSoManyRestaurantsDined on 3/26/2014Friendly hostess on way in, was early to meet friend so had drink at pretty happening and friendly bar, friendly bar tender, slightly overwhelmed. My friend was late but no pressure from hostess to sit (albeit it was still early and quiet in dining room). Good experienced server, was in a bit of a hurry but backed off when he saw we weren't. He made good recommendations and the food was well-served and delicious. What else can you ask for?Special Features:
- For the price you pay, foodBabsDined on 3/22/2014For the price you pay, food not that great, too crowded at bar with all of the bar tables in the way. Server was not friendly and we had to send dessert back it was so bad.
- 4th time is not a charmPaulDined on 3/22/2014Can't keep up with their past success: food down a noticeable notch, way too loud music for the crowd which had to scream across tables to be heard, not enough staff for the packed bars, dropped glasses, dirty plates. At least on this night, they lost their vibe. Disappointing, since we brought new people there based on past experience.Special Features:
- Too noisyEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 3/22/2014I thought the food was good. I was quite impressed that a table had truly been reserved with my name on a placard. Noise was terrible. Really took away from the food. There was a private party 4 tables away shielded only by a screen. The music piped into the room was better suited for a disco. I love mussels and the ones I was served were excellent. Didn't need the garlic aioli though. Had the beet salad. Didn't expect horseradish in the salad. Kind of fought with all the garlic in the mussels.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be better...JHinNJVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great bar, vibea and promising menu-would not take a lot from this place to move from good to great- but they must want to do it. Case in point- the beet salad- really nice beets and dressing but that was it so was rather plain- was screaming for a little bit of nuts or goat cheese It is a bistro/tavern- but somehow does not have a steak frites priced in the 20s- the closest thing was a sirloin that was close to $40. We were there for pre-theatre for what should have been plenty of time to have a full diner but was disappointed when the waiter brought us the check 30 mins before curtain (Mayo theatre 2 blocks away) not even bothering to offer dessert saying I know you have a show to get to. Pre-theatre should run more smoothly.Special Features:
- Friendly service, nice ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2014Friendly service, nice ambiance. Kitchen needs some tweaking. Somewhat sophisticated menu, although food is not executed on par with the high expectation it creates. French onion soup good, but a bit too thin on the cheese and flavor. Scallops were tasty but sandy. Good burger, but ordered med/well and came out nearly rare, for which they nicely did not charge for dessert.Special Features:
- Pretty disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/8/2014We went on a Saturday night with another couple. Appetizers were okay. We all found our meals to be on the bland side. Nothing I would ever want to go back for. Two of us had the ahi tuni. One of us ordered the cod, but the waitress came back and said it was sold out. My husband had the pork mignon which was really disappointing. Brussel sprout side was barely cooked. Drinks and dessert were the best part of the dinner. We also wanted to try the beignets, but they were sold out of that as well. Is that really possible?
- Loved David Todds! Took mylor515Dined on 3/6/2014Loved David Todds! Took my family for dinner and I cant say anything but great things about it....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much needed in MorristownfoodieDined on 2/28/2014Good food and nice atmosphere in an area that needs it. Nice variety on the menu.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Had drinks in bar..and a delicious dinner. Different menu. Eclectic. Very nice waiter -- Fred....All in all we all enjoyed the evening, ambience, and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- February 22DaisyDined on 2/22/2014Went there for dinner 6:45 reservation, seated immediately within minutes the place was packed. Very energetic, noise level was a little uncomfortable. Food and service was very good. I would recommend this to anyone. Very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater dinnerKathyVIPDined on 2/17/2014Loved the happy hour specials. The pear martini was delicious. Mushroom bar pizza was fabulous - 5 kinds of mushrooms, carmelized onions and truffle sauce - delicious. Thai calamari was sweet & delicious. Also, the fries cheese fondue was awesome. We loved the desserts too. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Pre-concert dinner was enjoyableLisaDined on 2/15/2014We recently had a wonderful meal before a concert. The wait staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. The food was wonderful as usual; great seasonal choices such as short rib ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationPRHostDined on 2/12/2014While not a big lunch scene, this restaurant was comfortable and provided a relaxing atmosphere for a get together. Although they do not "have" vegan options I was impressed with the wait- and kitchen-staff willingness to draw from two menu salads and create a tasty and filling option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in MorrisownLisaDined on 2/8/2014We have been to David Todd's several times. I decided to spend my 50th birthday with my family there this weekend. Good food, good service, lots of fish selections and nice atmosphere. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- I FOUND THE FOOD VERY GOOD-SFWNVDined on 2/1/2014I FOUND THE FOOD VERY GOOD- THE SERVICE OK, THE NOISE LEVEL VERY HIGH(IT WAS SAT PM) MANY GROUPS I WOULD TRY THEM ON A WEEKDAY EVENING WHEN IT MIGHT BE QUIETER.Special Features:
- Fine Food Before the Show at MayodreamweaverVIPDined on 1/31/2014Attentive staff, vibrant bar and quiet but elegant dining area awaits you. Good drink mixology, great appitizers and deserts, comlement varied but targted menu. There is someting for everyone. Do try the choclate biengts(sic) for dessert. the fresh pacific oysters with fresh horse radish is great. Always try the specials!! The redfish reminds me of New Orleans and the steaks of the best staek houses in NY. They also have a 10% discount for Mayo theater patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A theater-night regularNonameReviewerVIPDined on 1/29/2014Convenient to the performing arts center, David Todd's is a welcome, grown-up addition to the youth-oriented Morristown restaurant scene. We've never had even a mediocre meal here...the food and wine are consistently first rate. Servers are very conscious of curtain time. And the show-night 10% discount is an added bonus. (I don't enjoy the bar-scene music that is piped into the restaurant, but sitting toward the rear keeps it at an unobtrusive volume.)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great - but not this trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014I've really enjoyed all of my prior meals at DT, and was looking forward to the same before the show at Mayo. Unfortunately, this trip did not rate the same. The pierogie appetizer was grainy, and the seasonings unbalanced. One was VERY peppery, and the others not at all. My husband's dinner was served cold, and had to be reheated - which took away from both the taste and the dining experience. There are lots of Motown choices - one bad meal won't take this off my list, but I will definitely take a closer look at some others next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Wonderful MealdreamweaverVIPDined on 1/25/2014We are regulars here. We have many choices in Morristown to dine before a show at MPAC. We return here because the food is great but more important the staff is friendly and engaged. Its so nice to be greeted by Todd and its great that the owners are there making sure everything is perfect. We had two of the specials that were were outstanding. Come here for great food, a great bar, great drinks but more important the friendly staff. There are many choices in MoTown, but we keep going back to "where everyone knows your name" type of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2014Very good food, excellent service and very convenient to the theater.Special Features:
- Good experience before mayo theatreLynnDined on 1/25/2014Had a great early dinner before mayo theatre show. Food, cocktails, wine were very good got the 10% discount off bill for same night.theatre tickets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Eats in MorristownALPPMP88Dined on 1/24/2014Delicious food. Eclectic and savory. Enjoyed every bite. Great drink menu. Good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Local Gem...dreamweaverVIPDined on 1/18/2014Consistently good food, personable wait staff and owner on site make for a predictably good dining experience. Proximity to the Mayo arts center offers a great pre and post show destination. The bar is lively and loud, and the dining room serene and uncluttered. A worthwhile experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my friend and I each had verygoldenVIPDined on 1/14/2014my friend and I each had very nice salads at this white table cloth spot on the main drag in Morristown. My nicoise salad was terrific--just the right size and each of the ingredients were fresh and appealing. My friend had the beet salad with extra salmon and enjoyed it very much too. It was very quite when we were there for lunch-- perfect for having a conversation--Overall, a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great food. Very noisy-- weCindyDined on 1/11/2014Great food. Very noisy-- we had a hard time hearing each other. Also, parking was a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre-Show at MAYOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014Great Service. .Arrived at 6pm and, without being rushed, were done by 7:15pm. Scallops were fantastic, Great cocktails. Plus, if you are going to the show, you get 10% off the check!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great.JQPublicDined on 1/3/2014The place is nice, and food is good not great for the price. Fine dining establishments often dont have salt and pepper on the table as a sign that the food is seasoned perfectly. This place should have the salt and pepper on the table. Booze selection is pretty good.
- good spotrc33Dined on 12/31/2013Went their for NYE. Good wine and drinks list. Food was very good. Service was great. No complaints and look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve dinnerKimSVIPDined on 12/31/2013This was our first time dining here and we had a wonderful experience. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.