David Todd's City Tavern
150 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
David Todd's City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.davidtoddscitytavern.com/
- Phone: 9739938066x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:30a - 2:00p
Saturday, 12:00p - 3:00p
Dinner: Monday-Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
"Happy Hour" Monday-Friday 5:00p-7:00p
Special Drink Prices and $5.00 appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Prusin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private room for 12p to 25p We can design a specific menu for your needs. Call for availability.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining with its flowing curtain wall and large decorative mirrors is perfect for 12 to 25 guests. It's the perfect size for a business dinner meeting, training session or family get together. We have pre-fix menus available or we can design a menu just for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Redmond 9739938066x
- Special Events:
A word from David Todd's City Tavern
David Todd's City Tavern is an upscale casual restaurant in a comfortable atmosphere in Morristown, New Jersey featuring contemporary American cuisine with an award winning wine list, (Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2012) as well as boutique beers and martinis!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
David Todd's City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (29)special occasion (26)notable wine list (18)hot spot (14)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Food is good, but not exceptional, and expensive for what is delivered. While good in concept, fails in execution. Bar has decent beer and wine selection.
- Valentines Day menu - wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2011Valentines Day menu - was hoping to select from full menu, but a great time nonetheless. Worth checking out - dining scene in Morristown is exploding with great choices.Special Features:
- New restaurant brings newOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011New restaurant brings new dining experience: Flawless! The appetizers & main courses were 2nd to none! The chef's complimentary chocolate desserts were "to die for"! Bravo Chef David! Bravo Todd!Special Features:
- Adding to the very long listOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/12/2011Adding to the very long list of restaurants in Morristown, David Todd's should have staying power. The food was excellent and the service was quite good. We'll be back!Special Features:
- We had a great time! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011We had a great time! The food was great, the beer selection was fantastic. Our server was very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Good place that could be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/12/2011Food was good, very nice beer list. Bustling and noisey. Service is not great but cordial. Good restaurant that's still working out their service kinks.Special Features:
- Great time - great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/12/2011We had a great time, and the food was delicious. They had made a special drink for Valentine's Day that was wonderful. Thank you!Special Features:
- Group with opinionsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/11/2011The atmosphere was nice but our group was split on the food. Salmon eaters enjoyed their entree, other fish was reviewed as "mediocre at best". The orrechiette pasta was "pretty flavorless unless there was sausage in the bite". Calamari and cheese fondue were good. Brie was good as long as the bread wasn't soggy from the accompanying sauce. Bread pudding was too hard.Special Features:
- We were a bit concerned astimeflies1Dined on 2/11/2011We were a bit concerned as we were late to our reservations and had tix for the Mayo Theater. We were seated quickly and explained our predicament to our server. Initially we were just going to order our main meal because of our time concern. Our waiter assured us ordering an appetizer and getting us out wouldn't be a problem. He was right. Everything was prompt without being rushed. The scallops my friend ordered were huge and well prepared. Presentation was excellent. My filet mignon was done to perfection and the vegetables were not overcooked. My only criticism and overall it's a small one is that the prices were a tad high given the suburban location. But overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved this restaurant, fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2011Loved this restaurant, from the appetizers to the entree, the only thing I missed was the dessert, too full for that!Special Features:
- Food was superb and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2011Food was superb and the service was as well. Main course came a little fast behind the apps, but it was delicious. Both steak and fish dishes were cooked perfectly. They were fairly behind on their reservation times as we got seated almost 45 minutes late, but once we sat down, it was a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- The pork mignon was especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2011The pork mignon was especially delicious and a hit. The desserts were fun and the cotton candy with the spun sugar stick was a delightful touch.Special Features:
- Bottom line. too expensiveTrokusonDined on 1/29/2011Bottom line. too expensive for a "tavern" type restaurant, limited menu.Special Features:
- Overall good experience butfoodie4lifeDined on 1/29/2011Overall good experience but we did have to wait for our reserved table, beer prices good, wine by the glass high, nice table but very loud, loved the tartare app, hated beet salad too chuncky and dijon sauce too strong. We loved scallop dinner and the sirloin steak was done perfectly...tried slidder dessert very cute so so taste. Waiter good but confusing, rattled off "specials" but they seemed more like a lot of "substitutions".Special Features:
- never againOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/28/2011The mussel appetizer was very good...but the filet mignon dinner was extremely disappointing. The meat had absolutely no juice when you cut into it and it was cold inside. The wait staff did not apologize. Too many great restaurants.....don't waste your time or money.
- Menu was nice; however, theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2011Menu was nice; however, the kitchen did not deliver. The Caesar salad had no Parm cheese and we were never offered fresh pepper. The duo of Tare Tare was way underseasoned and there was no salt on the table. The Scallops were nothing out of the ordinary. The duck was great; however, the "sauteed" Bok Chok was limp and tasteless. Was looking forward to dessert; however, the choices were lack luster. Very disappointed. The food looked beautiful but it was tasteless.Special Features:
- The menu had a nice varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2011The menu had a nice variety and was not overwhelming. I ordered the deconstructed ravioli which actually turned out to be constructed. (No biggie!) They were a bit chewy, and could have used a little more salt, but other then that were quite tasty. My friend ordered the halibut, which they did not have that evening. The server did not mention that the halibut was out, nor that they had a special fish that evening, before we were ready to order. She was sweet though and pretty attentive. I love the decor, and they played some nice music, but not too loudly which made it good for conversation.Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/21/2011My three girlfriends and I were hopeful entering David Todd's, but once we were seated it took awhile for service. We found our total experience very inconsistent. At the bar, a glass of wine was undrinkable and returned. Never had to send back tap water before, but it was really awful. Our group shared a few appetizers: the mussels and calamari were delicious, the beet salad was tasty, however the spinach salad was a dissapointment. The skate wing looked fried and was very salty. The cappucino was awful and sent back (tasted like instant coffee mix). I would not return to this restaurant for dinner any time soon. Too bad, it does have potential.Special Features:
- The food was decent, but possiblyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2011The food was decent, but possibly a little over priced for the quality. Service was slow. Ambiance was fine. Needs a little work, but has good potential.
- went in for a quick dinnerJaniceVIPDined on 1/17/2011went in for a quick dinner after a weekend out of town. the menu had lots of nice selections. We wanted halibut but it had not been delivered that day. We were not told that until we were ordering. The substitute was red fish which was good but I would not have again. It came with leeks and mashed potatoes which I thought were excellent. Also had french onion soup which i also thought was very good. The only issue was after we were done we sat at the table for a long time without anyone coming over to take plates or anything. we finally got the attention of the hostess in order to get our check. I would go back again.
- The noise level on the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2011The noise level on the restaurant side was far too loud - we could not carry on a conversation with the other people at our table without yelling. Interestingly, the noise level on the bar side was fine. Whatever they did over there should be repeated on the restaurant side. The food was excellent - however, due to the noise, we might not eat on the restaurant side again - we'd likely eat something at the tables on the bar side though.
- The menu is not extensiveJenn89Dined on 1/15/2011The menu is not extensive but does offer a wide variety of options. The Oatmeal cookie dessert is fantastic! The dining room is simplistic and brighter than you'd expect for the dining experience. Good for groups of 4 to 6 people. The bar area was hopping. A hip, city like restaurant, a welcome addition to town.Special Features:
- Gastropub. Enjoyed the specialOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/14/2011Gastropub. Enjoyed the special burger. They will have to do something with the entrance to the restaurant for people sitting near the door-uncomfortably cold. Nice beer selection-very active bar scene. Would try again but request a seat in the rear of the restaurant-interesting wall decoration-very clever.Special Features:
- We were happy to be tryingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2011We were happy to be trying David Todd's, as it looked like a nice restaurant and something different in the Morristown area. We waited a few minutes to sit down so we had a drink at the bar. Once seated for dinner, the waiter took our order and we were given our appetizer course. It took a little while to come out but we just figured they were busy as the place was packed (and loud I might add) so we brushed it off. I had the beet salad and my husband had the tuna tartare sampler which both were great so we were really excited for our entrees (skate & chicken dish) to arrive. So we waited, and waited and waited. About 30 minutes of waiting (no exaggeration), my husband had 2 beers within that time and still no dinner! The waiter came
- WAs looking forward to heatingbsgmdVIPDined on 1/8/2011WAs looking forward to heating at this new hotspot with friends. They unfortunately do not have it together yet and do not seem to have ready for the volume of diners. We waited 35 minutes past our reservation to sit. Once we orderd, we waited 45 minutes for the bottle of wine to come. Appetizers were to be "coordinated" by our waiter, but the second half didn't come. We watched order after order come out of the same app, but no one seemed to be able to get us one. Food took forever. Many apologies from staff and they were nice, but no one was doing anything to fix it. We were not the only ones forced to wait a long time to eat. Food itself was great. Not ready for prime time thoughSpecial Features:
- The food was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/8/2011The food was outstanding and imaginative. Highly recommend it. The problem with the restaurant is the noise. The restaurant is narrow with high ceilings which makes it hard to hear those at your table.Special Features:
- We were all very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2011We were all very disappointed with this new restaurant that looked promising from the outside. Once inside though, it was all downhill. The service was terrible; the waiter was curt, unfriendly and not very knowledgeable. It seemed the same all around as waiters were pushing past eachother, dropping things, in a rush and looking harried. The food was the worst, though. Except for the calamari, not much was eatable. The foie gras burger was just ok, but at that price, it should have been mouth-watering. The vegetarian dish was horrific - and since it was the only option on the menu, that takes this restaurant off the list for anyone with those limitations. Even the green salad had a funky flavor. We will not return.
- the appetizers were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2011the appetizers were great the meal not as great.. The bar is fun
- The overall dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/31/2010The overall dining experience was pretty good. The decor of the restaurant was too minimal. Also - they did the bar cheaply and it showed - would have been much improved if they used granite and real wood instead of formica and laminate. Some of the food combinations were a bit stretched. The quality of the salmon in the salmon tartare was subpar - but the tuna tartare was great.
- We were glad to try this newKathyMadisonVIPDined on 12/31/2010We were glad to try this new place in town which had just opened two weeks prior. Food selection and drink selections were limited. Food portions were smaller than usual. Food was presented nicely. Food was tasty. Service was OK.Special Features:
- We had a group of 13 for NewClarkDined on 12/31/2010We had a group of 13 for New Year's Eve, and were impressed by how attentive the staff was considering the crowd. For only being a week and a half old, the service was handled incredibly smoothly. The music was great, the servers were funny and accomodating, and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Last week I took my wife toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2010Last week I took my wife to David Todd's for our 21st wedding anniversary. We started in the tavern/bar and was impressed with the look and feel of the tavern. The deep wood, long stylish bar and soft lighting created a very warm and comfortable experience. Unfortunately, we had to leave the tavern and venture into the dining room for dinner. The dining room lacked all the things I liked about the tavern. The warmth I experienced in the bar was totally lacking in the dining room. The room is beige (top to bottom) with a modern type lighting set up that in my opinion was sterile and did not seem to fit with the look and feel of the bar. The room was also very loud. Food was good not great and service was adequate.Special Features:
- Very impressive for restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/29/2010Very impressive for restaurant that's only been open 2-3 weeks. The pork mignon is amazing, flavorful, melts in your mouth (not like the pork chops my mom used to make!). Skate was outstanding, very fresh, cooked to perfection, seasoned just right. Duck confit tacos were very good, could have been a little better balanced with some acid to cut the richness of the tasty duck. Service was outstanding, very knowledgeble, attentive staff with great personalities! Calamari appetizer was cooked just right, seasoning was delightful (thai chili sauce). Chocolate slider dessert was very creative, the bun (doughnut)should probably be served either warm or at room temperature (may even want to use freshly fried and slightly cooled doughnuts).Special Features:
- I just went to David ToddOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/27/2010I just went to David Todd this week. The restaurant physical transformation is quite nice. The food was very tasty but the portions were very small. Eat before you go! The appetizers were delicious (ahi tuna was great) but the cheese fondue was a watered down version of The Melting Pot. The main dishes were also tasty but the portions were small. The prices are very high for what you were getting. With Morristown welcoming new restaurants in the next few months, David Todd needs to improve their portion size or risk the loss of business to the next "best thing". Service was also spotty; we noticed some "preferred" tables; tables that got more attention than others. I will not be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- We ate here recently and althoughJeffinshVIPDined on 12/24/2010We ate here recently and although it just opened, the food was great, the ambiance in both the bar area and the dining room was perfect and the service wonderful. What a great new restaurant on South Street in Morristown!!Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/2010Excellent food, service, and ambiance. A welcome addition to Morristown!Special Features:
- We went to David Todd's theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2010We went to David Todd's the first night they opened -the food was very good and they did a nice job, esp considering it was their first night. It was not what I expected from a place called a "City Tavern" - much more upscale and more limited options for dinner than I expected, but the food was tasty. I prob will not have dinner there again, unless I felt like spending more money than I typically do for a dinner out (It was ~$90 including the tip for dinner for two - each had 2 beers, and we ordered an appetizer), but I would return to have a drink at the bar. I think there were only one or two items on the menu for less than $20/plate (one was a foi gras burger, and the veggie entree might have been under $20, too).
- My husband and I were anticipatingNYCFANVIPDined on 12/15/2010My husband and I were anticipating David Todd's opening night and were so happy we were in town for it. Usually there are a lot of hiccups on the first night, but if there were any, they were behind the scenes. Our meals were fantastic, unique, wonderful blend of flavors and beautifully presented. The bar scene was great. A great place to stop for an after dinner drink after the theater in town of a meeting with friends. The tables in the bar looked very inviting for a quick bite before or after a movie. I have already recommended to friends in town. We are looking forward to our next visit and since we are local, there will be many visits. Welcome to the neighborhood David Todd's!Special Features: