207 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sobys.com/
- Phone: 8642327007
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:30 am - 1:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Soby's offers full service off-site catering with custom tailored menus for events of any type or size, from developing themes and planning menus to securing rentals, set up and staffing.
- Private Party Facilities: With 6,100 square feet of space, Soby’s is the perfect place to host your event. Soby’s can seat parties up to 100 on the semi-private Mezzanine level with the option for limited menus or ala carte ordering. For completely private events, The Loft at Soby’s can accommodate groups from 20 – 100.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Tollison; Lauren Van De Water 8888415724
A word from Soby's
Soby’s New South Cuisine is an eclectic blend of Contemporary Continental cuisine infused with traditional Southern ingredients, transforming old favorite into something fresh and new. The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Greenville, in a renovated cotton mill built in the 1800s. The atmosphere is warm and energetic and the staff is well-trained to provide a fantastic dining experience for all of our guests. In addition, the wine list offers more than 500 selections and is a Wine Spectator Magazine award-winner for the past eight years, a 'Best of Award of Excellence' the past two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Soby's - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Soby's reviews from OpenTable diners
300 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (177)fit for foodies (161)great for outdoor dining (133)notable wine list (121)neighborhood gem (104)good for groups (99)romantic (96)great for brunch (70)hot spot (66)vibrant bar scene (47)scenic view (23)late-night find (22)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (18)Show More
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014This was our 2nd visit to Soby's. There was a slight wait even with the reservation, but the table was very nice, the food incredible, the server outstanding! Christa was our server and we agreed she's the best we have had at any restaurant we've visited in recent memory. She was informative, very knowledgeable, personable and friendly, and provided excellent service. The experience was something we'll remember very fondly for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A downtown Greenville gemBlaire710Dined on 6/28/2014I can see why this restaurant is always full. The food is excellent, the staff is most accommodating, and there's always a great atmosphere. I've never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knowledgeable and honest serviceLacerichDined on 6/27/2014Food is always great. Our server led us well with what to order and answered our questions well. Always had what we needed and we felt taken care ofSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentSatisfiedVIPDined on 6/27/2014Been around for years with an anchor for s main dining. Great food and service. Love this place.Special Features:
- All around excellenceWillReturnDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I went here for dinner on a Friday night. Everything was spectacular! The fried green tomato appetizer was divine, and my pork tenderloin was easily the most tender pork I have ever eaten. The service was phenomenal, our waitress ran to the restaurant next to us to get the drink my husbabd requested because they didn't carry it. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nicer place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner 6-27MarkJVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great dinner at Soby's on 6/27. Had a small group of 7 for dinner. Service and food were great! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Bad serviceHorribleDined on 6/26/2014My Husband and I were big fans of Soby's, until our last visit. Our server, Scott, was too busy to give us good service. He not only got our Appetizer wrong, but he also got my main course wrong. He wasn't around to fill our drinks, his co-workers filled them for him. After our meal, he made us wait 20 minutes to see a dessert menu. I won't be going back for a while.
- Disappointedscsunshine54Dined on 6/26/2014The meal and ambiance was such a disappointment; had remembered Soby;s as having excellent food and attractive. First, the A/C was not functioning well and I dripped in sweat as I tried to get through the meal. Secondly, shame....shame, cooking food like crab cakes and holding them in a hotbox somewhere! Within 5 minutes of ordering, our food was served! The crab cakes were not crisp and even worse, instant potatoes for mashed potatoes! The baby green beans were lukewarm and not crispy. All an indication all was prepared ahead and being held for service rather than cooked to order. Finally, the restaurant looks "tired". With all to choose from, doubt that I will return due to the above and the price.Special Features:
- Always GreatRuthDined on 6/26/2014We never get to eat anywhere else because we love Sobys so much. Thanks to Eva our waitress for a perfect evening. Chef, as always, your meals are perfection.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Great place for dinner when going to the Peace Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to give another chanceErmkidDined on 6/25/2014We dined at Soby's for our first date 13 years ago. Returned while we were dating and we were not impressed. 12years later, we returned. Had a very good meal and nice service from Chuck. We will return again.Special Features:
- Great dining.englishteacherDined on 6/23/2014Dinner was fabulous. The staff was wonderful, attentive, helpful. The fried green tomatoes were to die for! We were early for our reservation, but we were seated immediately. It was our twenty-fourth wedding anniversary, and we chose Soby's because we always enjoy dining there. We also chose Soby's because Chef Shaun Garcia is a former student of mine, and I am so proud of his accomplishments. The food is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewTheresaDined on 6/22/2014It was pleasent, food was good. The only problem was my wife ask for crab cakes, she did this before. It was added to our bill. I did not know any differant. My wife and daughter came up last month and had the brunch and ask for the crab cakes and was not added to the bill. She was not happy about it. I was not sure, for future brunches what is the deal with the crabcakes?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Ate dinner with my daughter and we both loved the restraund, food and service. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Thanks Mike!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/20/2014We went to Greenville for our anniversary weekend and decided to celebrate at Soby's. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we had a great experience. Upon seating we were greeted by our waiter Mike who did a fantastic job making sure that the evening was special. We were given complimentary champagne and Mike went out of his way to even give us our wine bottle as a keepsake. The food was very good but, unfortunately, did not live up to the expectations we had from reading the reviews. To be honest we were a little disappointed with the quality of the restaurants in Greenville but given the restaurants we went to, Soby's was one of the best meals we had. Upon arriving home we had a thank you note from Mike. Nice touch!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and AtmosphereveganfoodieDined on 6/20/2014Soby's does not disappoint! The staff is always gracious and very accomodating. I am vegan and they are always willing to make slight adjustments to fit my needs! The wine is always superb as is the service. While I love the vegetable platter it would be awesome if they offered a couple of different vegan or vegetarian dishes (that could be easily converted to vegan). I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, tho...KenAVIPDined on 6/19/2014All very nice; food was delicious. The waiter was very engaging, shared a bit of his fondness for the area once he learned we were doing a little house-hunting. We wanted a half bottle of a particular sauvignon blanc but they were out of stock, so he gave us a discount on a whole bottle of another. Only minor complaint was that the entree was served too quickly; we were still working on our appetizers when it was served.Special Features:
- Not sure I'll go backLive4foodVIPDined on 6/15/2014First time at Soby's in 12 years. It seems to have transformed to quick serve sit down like applebee's. Food was poorly presented, poorly seasoned, and not worth finishing. Most notably there was a strong liquid smoke taste that was pervasive in several items. Server was very good, but he can't help the food.
- Great People WatchingCuldesacGirlsDined on 6/15/2014We sat on the outdoor patio and observed the busy-ness of Main Street. Once the sun went down, we very much enjoyed ourselves. Overpaid for our kids' entree and thought the crab cakes were a bit salty, but loved the farm-to-table concept, and we would definitely return! Oh, and we booked on OT 5 mins before arriving and then watched the host tell people walking up it would be 30-45 min wait. We were seated within minutes. Thanks, OT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticbb13teachDined on 6/15/2014New menu items were killer. Fried green tomatoes never get old. The pimento cheese sauce is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a pleasure as usual.musicmomDined on 6/15/2014Soby's is my "go to" place when I want to treat myself or my family. The service was a little troubled this time because I think it got too busy too fast. Normally the service is totally top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special FatherHappyWifeDined on 6/15/2014We took my husband there for Father's Day and we had an amazing time. The bruch buffet was full of choices and had something for all tastes and desires. My children were able to eat great food and did not detract from the overall atmosphere of the restaurant. The price was affordable especially for those with small children and really set Soby's far ahead of many of its top Main Street competitors. We will surely be back even if it is not a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFoody71717Dined on 6/15/2014The brunch food was good but I found the selection to be a little slim. They offered ice cream which I found random. Id rather have more entrees offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Brunch!zmb7317Dined on 6/15/2014Have been for dinner before but this was the first time for Sunday brunch. We were not disappointed at all! The food was excellent! Still hot and a great blend of both breakfast and lunch items, as well as amazing desserts! The waiter was excellent also! Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Great mealCUBuckeyeDined on 6/14/2014As always, the food was great. I would've maybe liked a lighter choice on the entrees, but I just chose an app instead. Ample servings and a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- So consistent!FoodiesRUsDined on 6/13/2014We keep coming back to Soby's because they are so consistently good. We have never had a bad meal here. I particularly like the tables that overlook the kitchen...outstanding view! However, the cheese biscuits are very ordinary..just like Red Lobster, only theirs are better! Sorry, and I don't even like Red Lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soby's is more than just a meal....SobysfanfromwiDined on 6/11/2014I try to visit Soby's whenever I come to Greenville. I have never been disappointed. The experience is all inclusive- amazing, knowledgeable wait staff, fantastic wine, food that explodes in your mouth.Special Features:
- rcsrcsDined on 6/10/2014Occasion was our 54th Food and Service was great.Michael our server was outstanding.Special Features:
- Food is HighlightjourneytofunDined on 6/7/2014For the first time we tried the duck and snapper. The duck was smoked in house and was very juicy and tender. The snapper was loaded with flavor and right amount of seasoning. Did not order wine and found the bar drinks to be very weak.Special Features:
- Our son enjoyed the crispy quailFamilyfoodloveDined on 6/7/2014We had a great family night out for dinner and dessert at Soby's. The waitress was very helpful in having our special request prepared to each dish ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!lkdjld99Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I visited Soby's for our anniversary dinner and could not have been more pleased. The atmosphere was inviting and cozy. The food was excellent! We enjoyed the crab cakes and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and I honestly couldn't say which was better. We also indulged in the creme brule and white chocolate banana pie which was heavenly. The service was impeccable from the moment we were seated until we left. I would highly recommend a visit to Soby's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soby's ClassicsReviewer247Dined on 6/7/2014Saturday night on the way to Les Mis. we ordered Soby's classics - crab cakes, shrimp and grits, banana cream pie with white chocolate, and coconut cake. They were terrific and we were 30 min early for the play. Food and service at Soby's were excellent.Special Features:
- Before theater dinner3rtcDined on 6/7/2014Party of four chose Soby's for dinner before Greenville little Theater because could get reservations, have valet parking, and knew food reputation. One of four was disappointed in his pork tenderloin (too dry) and we all suggested he tell waiter. He did and without any hesitation the waiter got him a second choice, crab cakes, and it was fine. Our total experience was great and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAshermayDined on 6/7/2014The menu is full of great southern cuisine with a flare. The wait staff knows their food inside and out and will accommodate to meet your need. Excellent wine selection. We ate outside and it was very relaxing. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother/daughter dinner outcindyDined on 6/7/2014My daughter and I enjoyed out recent visit. We shared the fried green tomato app- tasty, the green beans were a nice touch. The shrimp and grits had perfectly cooked shrimp and wasn't too rich, just right. The crab cakes had lots of crab and a nice creaminess. I wished I had had someone to share a bottle of wine with, because the wine list was an adventure. Service was friendly, attentive and knew the menu. The room was beautiful.Special Features:
- Love this place!crocker2Dined on 6/6/2014We have been to Soby's twice and just love the atmosphere, the food, and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot and waiter rudeHotandrudeDined on 6/6/2014This is a fav for my family, but Friday it was muggy and hot inside the restaurant and the waiter was extremely rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014Well put together dishes. Great wine list. Atmosphere perfect for date night with outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 5 loved the foodgretchDined on 6/6/2014Party of 5 loved it! Entres were small in size and carbs but great with meat and flavor! We ordered full size shrimp n grits as an appetizer. Good but very skimpy. Probably 7 tablespoons :( Atmosphere nice but not wow. Would have been great sitting outside but rained. We would recommend to a friend and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showing off our Downtown!ArtieDined on 6/6/2014Soby's is our favorite downtown restaurant. We take all of our out of town guests down town to show off our city and dinner at Soby's is part of that show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.