888 Massachusetts Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rbistro.com/
- Phone: 3174230312x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday through Saturday 5 pm to 10 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Erin Kem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Available Sunday day and Monday evenings for special events, contact the restaurant for more details. Space available for 30-55 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Regina M Mehallick 3174230312x
A word from R Bistro
Executive Chef/Owner Regina Mehallick opened R bistro in 2001, blazing a trail for local, seasonal cooking in Indianapolis. Anchoring the east side of dynamic Mass Ave arts district, R bistro features a menu of brightly flavored, approachable dishes that changes weekly to emphasize Mehallick’s dedication to serving what is ripe in Indiana, including produce from her own restaurant garden. R bistro is a fiver-time James Beard Foundation Award Semi-finalist for 2010 thru 2014. The New York Times, The Washington Post, Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine and many Indianapolis publications have touted the restaurant as a true gem. Mehallick is an active member of Slow Food USA and Slow Food Indy, and won the Catherine Brandel Fellowship in 2009 from Women Chefs & Restaurateurs. She is often sought after to speak on behalf of Indianapolis cuisine, chatting on NPR during Super Bowl 2010. Regina published her first cookbook in 2008. Please visit soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
R Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
R Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (52)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Heaven for FoodiesK1W1Dined on 1/31/2014We've been coming here for years and have always had an incredible dining experience. The food is beautifully prepared and plated. The restaurant tries to deal with local products and everything has a fresh clean flavor. While the selections are somewhat limited, there is always something delectable to choose. Our server has great personality and the service is non intrusive. The timing is perfect as you are able to carry conversation with minimal interruption. The ambiance is quite pleasant though the chairs are a little hard. When things are hopping and the restaurant is full, the noise level goes up. It feels as if you are in the best restaurant in town and you are!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always changing always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Indy. Never disappoints. The menu is always interesting and everything we've had has been great.Special Features:
- Simple yet deliciouscoolbeansDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I went to RBistro during Devour Downtown and it was wonderful. We had a 9pm reservation, but the restaurant was still pretty full, so great it had a ambiance. The dining room is small and fairly casual for the type/quality of food being served. Our server was very attentive without being over-bearing. The spring rolls were amazing; winter slaw enjoyed by hubby who doesn't usually like it. Red curry shrimp over rice was good but nothing amazing. Chicken soup with biscuits was absolutely wonderful! Great for a freezing cold month like this. The banofee sundae was slightly sweet and quite refreshing. We'd go again, but prefer the funkier vibe of Black Market and Bluebeard.Special Features:
- The food was mediocre. I hadMarybouDined on 1/23/2014The food was mediocre. I had mahi mahi, which is obviously not local, but it just ok. My expectations were higher than the the reality. For the price paid, it was a dissapointment. I may give the restaurant a second chance in the summer or fall when there will be more local fresh food options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in I IndianapolisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014Truly a gem of a restaurant that you would typically find in a place like Boston or San Francisco. Great for vegetarians too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingJoyceDined on 1/18/2014Dining at r Bistro always satisfies the need for something special. The service, the food, and the uptown ambience never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014Delicious food, interesting selections of locally sourced products. Our group of 5 tried most of the menu items and enjoyed everything. The vegetarian amongst us would have appreciated a little more flexibility about substituting side dishes, but otherwise a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good; expensiveRouverDined on 1/4/2014We went for the first time & liked it. We tried the fish & the vegetarian pasta dish. It was satisfying & tasty, but our particular flavors were not bold; a very Indiana type of dish. :) The fish was very rich & after a while, I was wishing I had something to break it up a bit...salad or an additional non-cheesy veg (it came with delicious cheesy potatoes). Made me wish I had tried the steak instead. We would return again for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We need to go there more often10kate48Dined on 1/3/2014Our food was fabulous! We had not been there in more than a year and a half and it's going into our regular rotation after this. They have a good selection of wine at reasonable prices. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. Only complaint: it was a a very cold night and the restaurant is on the ground floor with a lot of windows and we were chilly. My friend had her coat on over her shoulders and I had my muffler wrapped around my neck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indy bestDonnDined on 12/31/2013Always good with different dishes. Never the same dish as Regina prepares different menu each week.lSpecial Features:
- NYE Dinner for 8SldpeaseDined on 12/31/2013We had a dinner for 8 on NYE at 7:30 at R Bistro. Our server was tremendous, food was sensational. Best prepared steak I've had in awhile. The entire group was quite pleased. We were some of the younger patrons at 30 years old (most were 50 or so), though we've been before and is not always the case. Will certainly return. Would absolutely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013Scallops appetizer was fantastic. Salad was uninteresting but tasty. Veal chop was great. Lamb burger was small but very good. The side dish for the lamb burger was a cold pasta salad. Not my favorite but nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't recommend it for picky eaters or kids.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Night OutMommomDined on 12/21/2013Read reviews of this restaurants on several sights and based on those decided to try this restaurant. We were not disappointed. We were seated immediately and waitress was there w/I a minute. Our server, Dory, provided excellent and attentive service without being overbearing. She asked if we were seeing the show at a nearby theater and made it a point to have us out of there in time, without us being rushed. Limited food choices as the menu is changed weekly. Innovative choices and lovely presentation. Food was delicious and nice size portions instead of the ridiculously huge portions so many restaurants serve anymore. Small wine list but has many nice and diverse choices. Overall a wonderful experience and we will be going back.Special Features:
- The overall experience wasIndy5259Dined on 12/20/2013The overall experience was very good. Cliff and the rest of the wait staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. The appetizer, wine, and entrees were excellent. We should have mentioned to the staff that we preferred our lamb more on the rare side (our fault). We appreciate that you can get meals here that are hard to find in most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food,new2indyDined on 12/18/2013My husband and I went to R Bistro for the first time, and we had the most wonderful experience. The menu was unique, creative, in season, local and brief--it changes weekly--and we loved every bite. We had a 6:30 pm reservation on a Wednesday, so it was fairly quiet in the restaurant and there were several open tables (though that doesn't bother us.) The atmosphere was more casual than I expected, but still romantic with a neat, artsy vibe. R Bistro is definitely a top 3 Indianapolis restaurant in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet dinner for twofoodie222Dined on 12/14/2013My first experience at R Bistro was a positive one, though the bill was quite steep for a small amount of food. The tables are extremely close together, so it was difficult to have any kind of intimate conversation, but it made the work for the waiter much easier as we were all nestled so closely together. The leek and potato soup with cream was excellent. Unfortunately, the fresh bread wasn't quite as fresh and soft as it could have been, but dipping it in the soup made it better. The beef brisket with horseradish mashed potatoes and roasted radishes was excellent. The beef was incredibly tender and flavorful and the mashed potatoes made a perfect pairing. The french-pressed coffee was delicious but overpriced, as was the glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and vibejks125Dined on 12/13/2013Our recent dinner was a complete success--the beef brisket was terrific, and was beautifully matched with Lamadrid Malbec. The setting was perfect for conversation; and the ambience was helped by tasteful modern décor and good lighting. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousWalker57Dined on 12/12/2013Our entrees were incredible and the service was impeccable. The menu is very imaginative and changes every week!Special Features:
- Consistently innovativeFixhartDined on 12/7/2013I have dined at R Bistro many times over several years. During that same period, I have sampled all of the "notable' restaurants in town, old and new. R Bistro remains at the top of my list. R Bistro reflects the chefs passion for fresh, creative fine dining. Regina uses locally sourced ingredients to fashion some of the best dishes I have ever enjoyed. Having lived and eaten in cities notable for their cuisine choices, I am never disappointed at R Bistro. The service at R Bistro is just the way I like it; friendly, polite and prompt. In addition, the wine list is well thought out and provides a superb selection to pair with your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveThisBistro&Chef!LoveGreatFoodVIPDined on 11/30/2013Once again, Chef Regina Mehallick has excelled in her creations! I had the crispy duck leg, which was awesome, as usual! But my absolute favorite dish this time was the Barbecued oysters on the half-shell! If I had known they were going to be that wonderful, I would have ordered 3 plates of them for my entree, instead of just an appetizer! STILL my favorite restaurant in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placefoodfoodsogoodyumDined on 11/27/2013took my girlfriend on a date here and it was an amazing meal. i had the open faced hamburger and she had the duck - both were great. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R Bistro is fabulous. We wereclemDined on 11/23/2013R Bistro is fabulous. We were in New York the weekend before and ate at fine restaurants there. But frankly, R Bistro was better. The food was so fresh and excellently prepared. It is my new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesGooseDined on 11/22/2013The food was wonderful. Our waiter was extraordinarily accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and friendly atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2013Warm and friendly atmosphere and waiter. Food prepared very well. It was a little adventurous without being scary to me as a 'meat and potato' kind of guy. The service was quick but with a relaxed tone. I'll being going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavors...enz816Dined on 11/21/2013R Bistro was everything we had heard it would be. Our waiter was gracious, knowledgeable, and loves his job. The flavors were carefully paired to create a culinary treat. Our salad was tossed in a chardonnay vinaigrette that danced on the tongue, and we also had a butternut squash soup that was a wonderful opening to the meal. My wife an I each had the duck breast, which was paired with caramelized onions and a sweet potato puree. This was nothing short of magical - perhaps the best duck breast I've ever had. It was properly cooked and paired beautifully with the vegetables, while the flavor was all about the duck (locally produced of course!). R Bistro proves Indy should be on the map for great restaurants.Special Features:
- My wife and I go back againGardenerDined on 11/16/2013My wife and I go back again and again to R Bistro. The menu changes weekly. I find dishes on the menu that I don't find elsewhere. The chef often uses locally grown fruits, vegetables, and meats, and locally made cheeses and chocolates, which are identified on the menu; but there are also items from other regions, other lands. The items sometimes sound risky (e.g., sauteed parsnips, roasted brussel sprouts, lamb tripe), but they typically taste delicious. The portions are more European than gut-busting American; I leave the restaurant feeling pleasantly full, not overstuffed. I recommend R Bistro and encourage diners to take a chance on selections that differ from their usual restaurant fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteDisgustedVIPDined on 11/16/2013We are regular customers because the experience is consistently outstanding. The menu changes weekly to include fresh items from local farms. Service is professional. Indianapolis doesn't have enough restaurants in this league but R Bistro is good enough to make it even in real cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly enjoyablejmb45Dined on 11/8/2013When we travel, we look for restaurants that serve unusual (but tasty) dishes, and R Bistro was our find in Indianapolis. A braised pork belly w/ autumn vegetables was great, and so was a celery root/lentil dish. (Sharing both made indulging in the pork belly healthier; that was our rationale.) Great food, good service, wide range of prices on wines, small number of tables (~25) made for a great evening. Thanks to R Bistro for an Indy highlight.Special Features:
- A wonderful place to eat.foodlover110Dined on 11/8/2013Everything about this place screams unique. From the moment you walk through the door you notice it is small but cozy. The attire is business casual so also very comfortable. The waitstaff are very friendly toward even those without a high budget such as myself. The food is magnificent to say the least. The flavors dance across the palate like ballroom dancers across a dance floor. Each course does this to a slightly different tune. Even the salad has something unique to it. I can't give away any of Regina's secrets. You will have to stop by her bistro to see for yourself. Don't forget to try the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most satifying eveningLovesGoodFoodDined on 11/6/2013This little gem was recommended to us by a local as a neighborhood gem and she was so right! The menu was varied and truly represented the local products and fresh ingredients. My chicken was so moist and flavorful--but the pumpkin side was "to die for." My friends raved over the pork belly and the lentil dishes. We felt a bit neglected by the server--especially at the beginning of the meal when everyone else at other tables seemed more important as he left us in mid-sentence several times to attend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great alternative to downtown steakEC11Dined on 11/1/2013Great alternative to the big downtown steak houses. We enjoyed the creative dishes sourced locally and the friendly and thoughtful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free? Call aheadGFCoupleDined on 11/1/2013We made the mistake of not mentioning that we are GF on the Open Table reservation. The chef is VERY strict about her menu and did not make any exceptions to make our experience better. We were required to pick around the bread on the plate or not order items, because there were no exceptions made on the execution of the food. The food was good, but not great. We ordered the flank steak and it came with beans and greens together in a blandly on a plate. We may have ordered the wrong dish, as we felt we could make that at home. We want to believe the experience would have been better if we had told them were were GF ahead of time, but it was surprisingly unaccommodating. That said, we had an AMAZING bottle of wine and an awesome server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a GemPaulDined on 10/19/2013It's been a couple of years since I've eaten at R Bistro, but it was a pleasure to be back this weekend. The food choices, while limited, are always interesting and exceedingly well prepared. Our waiter was attentive and informative, we lingered over dinner in order to catch up with an old friend from out of town, and everyone was pleased with their meal. It is a plus that most wines on the list are available by the glass, and the selections are well-chosen and reasonably priced. This remains among my favorite Indianapolis dining spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usual standardpindyDined on 10/19/2013I've eaten at R Bistro many times and typically everything from service to food and wine are excellent; among the best dining experiences in Indy. This wasn't one of those times, but we'll still go back. The service was very good, but the food this time around was very mediocre. One entre was so over-salted it was nearly inedible, and other dishes were uninspired, bland, and not representative of the typical standards of this usually fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked reading sources forKateDined on 10/19/2013Liked reading sources for local foods. Cod with mussel sauce was delicious as were the mash and spinach. Tasted the shrimp and linguini - also very good. Vegi balls w/curry sauce were "okay," not standout nor was the squash soup. The wine was excellent - David Bruce Petite Sirah - and there were several other good options. Overall, a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our top pickKjeatsDined on 10/18/2013We were very impressed with everything: the atmosphere, the service, the flavor combinations of our dishes. Our favorite restaurant in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find on Mass Ave.DGSETTDined on 10/18/2013What a wonderful treat to bring out of town business associates for a great dinner and get together. Presentation of food was excellent, menu choices the best, and quality of food was outstanding!Special Features:
- OkFloraDined on 10/18/2013We have always enjoyed this place. This time the service was so slow and my friend and I ordered a chicken dish which we both found pretty icky. It is a lovely atmosphere and has nice small servings and they use mostly locally grown ingredients. It was very disappointing.Special Features:
- R Bistro is fabulousardentfanDined on 10/17/2013Food, service, and ambience are wonderful. This is a terrific New York restaurant -- in Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R (You Kidding?) BistroPatrickVIPDined on 10/17/2013This was our third time here and likely the last. While I like the ambience and salute the owner for making it work for these many years, it's just not our scene. Even our in-laws who live in downtown Chicago thought it was too pretentious. The list of offenses: 1) Bringing the appetizer out at the designated, not requested time. 2) Reluctance to bring extra sauce for said appetizer. 3) No substitutions. 4) No parmesan cheese, etc to sprinkle on the pasta dish. 5) A limit of one check per table. I mean, come on. You leave here thinking this place is less of a restaurant and more just a vanity project by the owner. Next time, we'll just go across the street to Yats, if we desire a good, local restaurant on Mass. Ave.