888 Massachusetts Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rbistro.com/
- Phone: 3174230312x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday through Saturday 5 pm to 10 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Erin Kem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Available Sunday day and Monday evenings for special events, contact the restaurant for more details. Space available for 30-55 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Regina M Mehallick 3174230312x
A word from R Bistro
Executive Chef/Owner Regina Mehallick opened R bistro in 2001, blazing a trail for local, seasonal cooking in Indianapolis. Anchoring the east side of dynamic Mass Ave arts district, R bistro features a menu of brightly flavored, approachable dishes that changes weekly to emphasize Mehallick’s dedication to serving what is ripe in Indiana, including produce from her own restaurant garden. R bistro is a fiver-time James Beard Foundation Award Semi-finalist for 2010 thru 2014. The New York Times, The Washington Post, Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine and many Indianapolis publications have touted the restaurant as a true gem. Mehallick is an active member of Slow Food USA and Slow Food Indy, and won the Catherine Brandel Fellowship in 2009 from Women Chefs & Restaurateurs. She is often sought after to speak on behalf of Indianapolis cuisine, chatting on NPR during Super Bowl 2010. Regina published her first cookbook in 2008. Please visit soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
R Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
R Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (35)notable wine list (29)hot spot (7)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The menu is small but it changes every Wednesday. I liked how they listed what local business they bought their food from on their menus. It was a very nice place to eat, with great food, and a very nice setting. The wine was very good and did not seem to be overly priced. The wait staff seemed to enjoy working there and all of them spent time talking to with their tables. The owner was very polite as we were walking out and talked with us for about 10 minutes outside. It is a very small place so I recommend getting a reservation. We definitely be going back there very soon.Special Features:
- Two thumbs upY0mmyDined on 5/3/2014Recently ate dinner at R Bistro while visiting Indy for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary. My husband has food sensitivities so the simpilier the ingredients the better. The menu offers a variety if clean dishes while not compromising taste or creativity. Each bite was better than the next. I had the ricotta gnocchi which was out if this world and my husband had the bratwurst. The menu changes frequently based on current availability of food. Looking forward to making the trip again to dine there so we can try some different plates!Special Features:
- my favorite restaurantbertDined on 5/3/2014R Bistro has consistently the best food and the service is always above average.I cannot recommend something off of the menu (because it changes every week) other than everything. I have had several dishes nothing has been anything but outstanding. the prices are also a reasonable for this caliber of restaurant. The owner/chef clearly cares about a good experience I have never eaten there and not had her ask how things are and see her help in the front of the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took our breath awayNanookDined on 5/2/2014We loved this quaint restaurant! We are both French and loved the menu as well as the wonderful taste of every dish that was presented to us. The atmosphere was charming as was the wait staff.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014My first time at RBistro but hope it won't be my last. Very quaint, unassuming gem on the far end of Mass Ave. Would appeal to various age groups but feel a more upscale dress code should be required for this unique restaurant. Service was wonderful, food was wonderful, overall experience was wonderful! Had no idea this establishment had been in business for 13 years!!! A wonderful find that combines intimate and vibrant in the same breath! Nicely done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningSharoDined on 4/19/2014Had a wonderful meal unusual entrees. Good variety and the wait staff very knowledgeable and efficient. Didn't feel rushed atmosphere very relaxing.Special Features:
- Friendly exquisitivityDavidDined on 4/18/2014R-Bistro combines the feel of a neighborhood diner with exquisite fare without pretentiousness. Our server was attentive and fun but not intrusive. The well-respected owner/chef Regina came from the kitchen and visited with us.Special Features:
- NicolaDined on 4/16/2014Server was absent minded. He paid very little attention to us, although the restaurant was basically empty. It took three tries to get our order in. The menu is very limited and the food a bit tired.
- Enjoyable diningMichaelDined on 4/12/2014Everyone enjoyed their dinner and the service was wonderful. The only complaint was from those of us that had the lamb; the silver skin on the lamb was difficult to cut with the knives that were at our places...sharper knives would have been appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best place in townDisgustedVIPDined on 4/5/2014Every experience is outstanding. The weekly dinner menu and quarterly lunch menu are creative. The chef combines foods to create amazing flavors and textures. The staff are professional. You know it is a quality place when the staff have been there for years. The wine menu changes from great to great selections.Special Features:
- Unique and always freshRustyKeysDined on 4/3/2014R Bistro always puts locally grown foods into well-crafted dishes. At every visit I either find an old favorite or try a new creation. I like the small focused menus because my choices don't get humdrum. At the same time, there's a stunningly wide selection of wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overal niceSxrobinVIPDined on 4/3/2014I like this spot. It was a bit far away from downtown. The cuban was great, but thought the menu was a bit limited.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am in loveRabidAntsVIPDined on 3/29/2014What a wonderful spot. Service was extraordinary and food exemplary. Having grown up in the south and on the east coast you will understand my amazement at the oyster appetizer. Best oysters I have had in my life. If you need a reason to travel to Indy, R Bistro is a great reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingJennaBDined on 3/29/2014This is the second time my husband and I have dined at R Bistro. Always impressed and never disappointed! Cliff was our waiter, who is very knowledgable and has a great personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, contemporary food choices.DougDined on 3/27/2014A relaxed feel in a casual atmosphere but with outstanding food. Although there are limited dinner options, the variety allows adequate choices for any diner. The only negative could be the closely-placed tables to each other. Foodies should not miss this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check it out!jritDined on 3/22/2014Outstanding venue, menu and service. Very eclectic mix of food, flavors, and creative dishes. Menu changes weekly and is relatively small, but there is something for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantolddogDined on 3/21/2014This is a terrific restaurant. Everything my wife and I ordered was delicious. The bread was freshly baked. We had a wonderful soup. The sauce for our chicken was exceptionally tasty but did not overwhelm the bird. The dessert was fabulous. The service was remarkably attentive and friendly. The wine list included excellent wines at reasonable prices. This was far and away the best restaurant we visited in Indianapolis but it would compete for best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the food was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014As always, the food was terrific. The special was amazing! Service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food here is simply outstandingRichDined on 3/15/2014The food here is simply outstanding and offered in a small, quiet location. You cannot dine here without trying a desert.Special Features:
- A very good beginning to a weekend.ExquisiteCorpseDined on 3/14/2014R Bistro has been one of my favorite restaurants in Indianapolis for years. Located on the rediscovered Massachusetts Avenue along the Cultural Trail, R Bistro has a frequently changing menu, a respectable wine list, consistent wait staff and a very comfortable atmosphere. A great place to begin a night before heading off to one of the nearby theaters or a stroll down the avenue to visit the galleries, shops, bars and dessert cafes. Very close to Indy Reads Books, The Best Chocolate in Town and the Phoenix Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R Bistro - Worth a TryJohnVIPDined on 3/14/2014We had a nice meal with friends at R Bistro. The menu is very small focussing on farm to table food. The food was very good overall - flavorful and unique. I thought the atmosphere of the restaurant was a bit like an airport dining establishment. The space lacked character - long and narrow with no defining features. The interior could use a face lift, but overall the food was very nice.
- good findhappyorganicDined on 3/13/2014Lovely, quiet, simple, good food, attentive but not overbearing service. Food is fresh and lovely and interesting. Nice wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to TableFoode13Dined on 3/1/2014Oldest farm to table restaurant in Indy. Menu changes twice a week. Fun and creative food optionsSpecial Features:
- DecentLuv2kickitDined on 2/28/2014Food was great! Fun atmosphere. Had reservations at 7:30 - showed up at 7:32 and our table was "given away" waited 15-20 minutes for next available table. People wonder why restaurants don't make it.Special Features:
- excellent experienceflashDined on 2/15/2014unusual food, well prepared. good service and a wine list with prices you will love. we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PerfectmluuDined on 2/15/2014Filet topped with bleu cheese and duck breast were both sublime. Red velvet baked Alaska sounded better than it tasted. The large amount of ice cream kind of overwhelmed any chance at enjoying the red velvet cake at the bottom. The meringue was unique - perhaps a hint of lime, which bothered us a little bit because it didn't seem to go with the red velvet flavor well. Large group next to us was loud (probably 20 people), but no worries. Good food and good company, right? Everyone was pleasant, and our waiter was wonderful. We love coming here to celebrate...well, everything.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerHappyDinerDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I spent a lovely Valentine's Day dinner here. Reservations were easy, service was great, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special findIndyEaterDined on 2/14/2014Went there for valentines day. Each dish is unique, great service, intimate restaurant, great find downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014R Bistro is one of our favorite restaurants in Indy! Great service, amazing food, and wonderful atmosphere. It never disappoints. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service great foodStudentGroupDinnerDined on 2/14/2014The food at R bistro was awesome. I order vegetable soup and the beef entre. The filet was cooked to perfection. This is probably one of the best I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate there for Valentine's Day- it was wonderful. Knowledgable and helpful wait staff, outstanding food, and a very nice, quiet spot, even with every table full. We will go back without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite for a reason.JAYatJWIndyVIPDined on 2/8/2014We love R Bistro so much we consider it "our bistro". It's our go to restaurant. Chef Regina never fails to amaze. Besides a rotating menu, she uses local growers and vendors. She doesn't overwhelm you with entrees, but instead focuses on a few individually spectacular options for each course. Dessert is always a must. A personal favorite and one I recommend to JW guests daily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Experience!FloudyfloudDined on 2/7/2014We had not dined at R Bistro for quite some time, and I am not sure why because our experience on Friday night was outstanding! Our reservation was for 6 people. The ambience of the restaurant is warm and cozy. Our party of 6 love wine and had stellar options to chose from on the wine list. Options for meat lovers as well as vegetarians with entirely fresh, local offerings in incredibly creative preparations. I started with the Corn Blini…it was decadent, a great mesh of flavors. I had Arctic Char as an entree which was the best I have ever had, served over a mashed parsnip and fennel? (I think). Cliff was our waiter, and was a true professional! Overall experience…. a Perfect 10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb lunch!FoodiewannabeDined on 2/7/2014The food and service were top notch! I will go back and try dinner very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/6/2014The food was absolutely terrific! Everyone in our party loved every single thing that was served.Special Features:
- Best of Indy DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Of all of the trendy downtown/Mass Ave establishments, this one continues to impress. Presentation, food and service were impecable on a busy Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant inDineODined on 2/1/2014My favorite restaurant in Indy! Introduced friends to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our faves10kate48Dined on 2/1/2014The food is always great! Our friends had never been there before and were quite impressed. My husband had short ribs and said he would only eat them there from now on. Always fun to go and see what's new on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerWoodyDined on 2/1/2014I received a gift certificate for this restaurant and had always heard good things about it. The waitress was wonderful and helpful in ordering wine and food. Although we were at the table right by the pole and dish area it was a great atmosphere. The duck empanadas (sp?) were great and the mojita sauce with them- superb! Dinner was wonderful and well portioned. I had the quail- yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014Everything was very good with exception of service. Waiter was knowledgable and friendly, just didn't show up enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.