124 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thedandelionpub.com/
- Phone: 2155582500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub, British
- Executive Chef: Robert Aikens
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
A word from The Dandelion
London's culinary revolution comes to Philadelphia with this unique gastropub. Cozy rooms and intimate bars create a storied, Old World aura, while updated seasonal takes on British food make up the menu. In keeping with tradition, our casks and tap craft beers are always rotating, a proper afternoon tea service has a sweet and savory menu and classic family-style roasts are served on Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dandelion reviews from OpenTable diners
388 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (212)neighborhood gem (203)good for groups (145)great for lunch (138)special occasion (125)great for brunch (109)hot spot (104)romantic (99)vibrant bar scene (95)late-night find (34)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (20)scenic view (20)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- PerfectGhazahDined on 8/20/2014LOVED it. This was my second time here and it was more impressive than a year ago. The menu continues to incorporate seasonal foods and allows for adventure and uncommon choices. Everything was cooked to perfection. The crab risotto was incredible as was the duck & chicken mousse- highly addictive. I will not wait so long to go back this time. Our server was a true pro-keeping an eye on us and without being interruptive, she checked in just as we needed.Special Features:
- Not thrilledMrsRamseyDined on 8/19/2014I really want to like the Dandelion, but somehow I am always disappointed by the food. It is just never flavorful enough, as though they are stuck in England circa 1970, when it was still just meat and two veg. Fortunately, like England of an earlier day, the beer is good, especially the Bombardier, and so is the atmosphere. I keep returning in the hope of finding the right dish. It is not the rabbit pie, the bangers and mash or the deviled eggs. And please, will everyone just stop serving food on flat pieces of slate! I am tired of having no place to prop my knife and watching my food roll onto the table.
- Dandelion is such a wonderful placeCElliotteDined on 8/19/2014Me and my colleagues have eaten at this resturant on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The menu selection and the professional staff always create the ultimate dining experience. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellent BritishkenshapDined on 8/18/2014Everything here has been delicious. Our favourites are the burger, duck bolognese, fish and chips and the shepards pie. Their beer selection is top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pubDanbasiDined on 8/17/2014Great pub for diner on a sunny day. I was extremely impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dandy ole PubDissapointingDishVIPDined on 8/17/2014Sat across from the bar hard to have a conversation @ 4 30pm "tea time" Shepards pie was interesting choice,, heavy gravy hid the taste of lamb it was a better dish in London but this is center city not across the pond $4 for a glass of lemonade was a bit much considering 1/2 the glass was ice First time I ate @ Dandelion, a popular place in center city..people constanly coming in even if they didn't eat The bar was constantly noisy & vibrant! And I understand there is a bar on each level. Limited menu at that hour..friend had the burger said it was very salty $16 Glad I saw the place seems to be very popularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently solidbleubookDined on 8/17/2014Arrived for brunch and initially was not thrilled to be the only additional table seated next to a large group. But our server was terrific, we didn't end up feeling neglected at all. Food was the perfect combination of traditional and unique without ruining it. For example, our oysters had a dill pickle mignonette sauce. (Which worked beautifully.) Also appreciate the availability of a very good scotch for the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but latedinneranddrinksDined on 8/16/2014Dinner and drinks at the Dandelion were great. Great ambience. This was a special occasion and we were a large party (8), so I was sure to book the reservation weeks in advance and to confirm with the restaurant that they would be able to accommodate us. I was assured it would not be a problem. However, on the night of the reservation, we had to wait over 40 minutes for our table. Not only was this disappointing, but I had hoped that the restaurant would comp us some part of our bill, or even a round of free drinks--they did not. Overall we were so happy with the service provided by our waitress. She was friendly, knowledgeable, and the food was great. But the way our reservation was handled makes me hesitant to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dandelion is always GreatBLKcustomerDined on 8/16/2014Our family loves the Dandelion. My daughter requested we go here for her birthday. The service is always excellent and the food is fantastic. Nice selection of beers and other drinks. The only problem on this visit was the group of abut 18 at the table beside us. One individual in this group was very loud and distracting.Special Features:
- post-theater mealfoodmaven238Dined on 8/16/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant, which I shoes primarily for its location (near theater and hotel). What a pleasant surprise-nice atmosphere, good food, but the best part was the staff. Knowledgeable, very friendly and accommodating without being the least bit intrusive. Loved the beer list, am still thinking about the homemade ricotta appetizer, and very reasonable pricing-all in all it was a really good experience. Would recommend this to anyone.Special Features:
- Great Food, Bad SoundlikegoodfoodDined on 8/14/2014I took six visitors from out of town to the Dandelion on a Thursday evening. We had a 7pm reservation and when we arrived, the bar area was packed while I waited for the others. Soon, the others arrived and we were seated promptly. The wine list impressed the group, who are all avid wine drinkers. The menu was interesting, and the food was delicious. The service was very slow, considering it was a Thursday night. In addition the noise level was way too high. I could not carry on a conversation with all of our group. In conclusion, I would recommend this restaurant for 2-4 people. There are lots of steps and we had 6 people in their 70's. I did not hear about an elevator but there may have been one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little noisy but really greatfrancesVIPDined on 8/13/2014It was quite loud, but they have great decor & tables/chairs. It's really different, and it's very british despite the fact that everyone is an american. Great bar menu, great selection of beers, decent wines, and really interesting cocktails. The beef tartare, whelsh rarebit, oysters, and fish & chips were to die for. The crab risotto was decent, but I'd 100% definitely go there again. reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- family friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014My family was visiting from out of town. It was a wonderful place to take them for brunch- you can make a reservation, fun decor, quiet, plenty of space. Perfect for folks unfamiliar with an urban brunch scene.Special Features:
- Overpriced fancy Gastropub!NikkiDined on 8/7/2014Food was good, but the portions were small and it is a bit overpriced for what it is. Service was ok. The hostess and waiter were a bit short, but I'm guessing because they were busy. Not great but not terrible. Seating is a bit cramped, and it is loud. So don't go there is you are looking for a quiet romantic evening.
- Four stars; it's been five beforeasset25Dined on 8/3/2014Returned to the Dandelion to celebrate a birthday (seems to be our annual destination). Always a great spot for authentic British food - there is a native in our group who can vouch for this. We come for Sunday roast on special occasions, as we did on this last visit. The restaurant was incredibly crowded but despite that it was still an enjoyable experience. Great drinks and attentive service. The beef of the roast itself was slightly disappointing - the meat was tougher than it has been on previous visits. I chalked this up to the fact that it seemed to be a particularly busy Sunday. The flavors were great, as always. We'll surely be back, and hopefully next time it'll be a five-star experience once more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent service, great food. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!CongresstartDined on 8/2/2014We had an outstanding experience. The burgers are amazing and the servers are well-informed and helpful. Fun people watching. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceGoSteelersDined on 8/2/2014The Dandelion is in a multi-level brownstone and has numerous small rooms. It is very crowded and noisy. That being said, the service was excellent and the food was great, except the dessert. Entrees were fish and chips and scallops with potato gnocchi. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the gnocchi was sparse, but delightful! Skip the Mango Arctic Roll for dessert, though. It lacked flavor and was not satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGoodFoodStuffsDined on 8/2/2014We had an excellent birthday lunch at the Dandelion, topped off with an amazing dessert! Very cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing pub!Soixante97Dined on 7/30/2014Vibrant English pub in the heart of center city, great vibe, large variety of beers, excellent food and service!! Fit for smaller groups as well as larger ones - you will have a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service LackingRiterReVIPDined on 7/28/2014I went to The Dandelion for lunch with a friend. The food was great, but the service was not up to par. My friend ordered tea, and when she realized it was spilling from the teapot, she pointed it out to the server, expecting he would bring us another napkin and instead he kind of just chuckled and walked away. After our appetizer, which was the cheese board came, we noticed that two of three biscuits on the board had nuts. My friend has a nut allergy and so we asked if we could get more of the non-nut biscuits because of her allergy, and they charged us $5 for 3 biscuits! While the food was great, I had the mussels which was a generous portion, I doubt I will be returning.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyablePattiVIPDined on 7/27/2014Celebrated a birthday with our adult children on Sunday night. Food was delightful and service was terrific. We will return!Special Features:
- Go for the Ricotta!SummerGirl464Dined on 7/25/2014The house-made ricotta is probably one of the best things I've ever eaten. Anywhere. Ever. It's served with crispy, toasted pieces of sourdough. It spreads like butter. It's light. It's fluffy. It's absolute heaven. It is what drove me to write this review, in all honesty, and the sole reason I will come back to The Dandelion. If this place ever closes down, I might cry because I'll never get to taste the ricotta again. Get it and thank me later. The rabbit pie was great. Highly recommend it. The fish and chips were good, but they weren't the best I've ever had. Next time we go, we'll probably try a couple of different entrees, but I will ALWAYS go back for the ricotta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i can't get enough of this placerissDined on 7/25/2014everything is amazing and consistently on point every time. my only problem is i want to order the whole menu each time, and it's a struggle to narrow it down to just one entree. Especially when my fiance refuses to share because his is just too good to share with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch with characterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014A unique setting with great food. The mussels were especially wonderful. Our waiter was really helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningPhilly41477Dined on 7/24/2014We had a wonderful, romantics evening over cider and fish and chips at the dandelion. We started with the dandelion salad, which was out of this world. The fish and chips were some of the best I've ever had, although the chips were a bit too salty for my taste. We capped it off with a delicious pot of loose leaf tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceIluvphillyDined on 7/24/2014We had tickets to see "The Beatles" and the Philadelphia Orchestra so I thought dinner at an English pub would be the perfect dinner spot and we were not disappointed. From the moment you approach the building you get in the mood. I had asked for a nice table as it was for my husband's birthday and we were coming with friends. Dandelion gave a lovely bay window table with a view of the skyline. Our server was very knowledgeable, helpful and responsive and didn't barge in right at the climax of your story to ask, "How is everything?!" Our guests all said they wanted to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complimentary and Curious CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Great, intriguing food! British gastro-pub set in a well-restored Philadelphia townhouse. Waiter had great recommendations and the managers checked on our table several times throughout the meal. Wonderful drink selections that complimented our meal very well.Special Features:
- Energetic scene, good foodJPTWDined on 7/22/2014I was expecting something more from a Steven Starr restaurant. Food was good, but not great. Drinks were fabulous and hip scene in room with the bar. Risotto was too greasy, but olives were tasty as was the bread. The rest of the food was OK. I don't know if I would go back for the food. I liked the atmosphere and the drinks so would be a good stop to hang at the bar for driniks.Special Features:
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014The food was just OK, notting to write home about.
- Great brunchKatPatDined on 7/20/2014This place has a great ambiance! It really mimics a London pub feel. The food is delicious. I had a lovely brunch there. The chicken liver mousse was a perfect way to start our meal. We ordered a bagel and lox as well as an egg sandwich and both portions were generous and more than satisfactory. Also, little bonus was that one of the girls from the movie Coyote Ugly was sitting at the table right next to us. :)Special Features:
- Delicious!JennDined on 7/19/2014The food was fantastic. Our group mainly stayed with the English theme with fish and chips and the bangers and mash, but gave high marks! I had the skate and it was to tasty. Good bar menu and the Dog Room bar is really cool. Would recommend!Special Features:
- one of the best philly restaurants!JeslynDined on 7/19/2014you can't go wrong with the dandelion--great service, amazing food, and a spectacular atmosphere.Special Features:
- Enchanting Corner HouseSamplingDined on 7/18/2014This is the second time I have visited The Dandelion and must say it never ceases to impress me. Every aspect of the restaurant from the hostesses at the entrance, seamlessly confirm your reservation, to the service at the table, food and ambience. It's almost like watching a well rehearsed ballet dance where every element moves flawlessly to create a great evening. We were seated in the nicest cozy, corner table by the fireplace in a room filled with true British Pub spirit, this time I was able to share history of the restaurant with my date while we delighted in one of my all time favorites 'The British Cheese Board' HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT for an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not perfectokayDined on 7/18/2014Everything about the Dandelion was great--the food was delicious, the atmosphere is incredible, the service was superb--however my one complaint is that the portion sizes were rather small for what I was paying. Reduce the prices a tiny bit or increase portion sizes and this would have been a 5-star dinner.Special Features:
- BurgermanVIPDined on 7/15/2014our second time here and the food iix great as well as the service. My only complaint is the atmosphere which is quite noisy and hearing our table mates was difficultSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dandelion Delivers Exquistely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Behind a beautiful old-fashioned looking door, at the corner of 18th & Sansom, and with only a tiny marker announcing its name, one enters an intriguing restaurant in a sparkling, elegant old townhouse replete with high ceilings, a friendly first floor bar and an old fashioned bannistered stairway leading to the main dining rooms upstairs. The service is impeccable and the menu ingenuous and varied. The exquisitely prepared food exceeded our expectations and the private table requested was perfectly provided. Five stars plus! GallySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverVIPDined on 7/12/2014great upscale "English pub" with interesting appts , Try the beets with goat cheese, my husband never eats beets as he felt they are too sweet but he ate these all up. Pate was great as was the hamburger and fish and chips. Great and varied beer selection with mini flight of their casks. Noisy but fun and as we are in our 60's and this is a place for mostly 30 yr olds we enjoyed the liveliness of the place. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chefmerlinoDined on 7/12/2014The only problem was the noise level. When we first came in, it was not too crowded and it was very pleasant. Shortly before we left, the entire floor was filled and the noise level was bad. It was very difficult to have a conversation with each other and our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I enjoyed the chicken and my wife enjoyed the fish and chips. Our drinks and service were excellent as well. It was a great experience.Special Features: