Grace - Portland
15 Chestnut Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grace - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantgrace.com/
- Phone: 2078284422
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Sueltenfuss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check our events page!
A word from Grace - Portland
Grace Restaurant offers a first rate menu in an atmosphere of artistic mastery. In 2009 the historic Chestnut Street Church, in downtown Portland, was restored to its original beauty while creating a modern interior that both complemented the sculptural details of the church and reflected the innovative cuisine of chef, Peter Sueltenfuss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Grace - Portland - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Grace - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)special occasion (97)romantic (81)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (42)notable wine list (31)hot spot (17)late-night find (11)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Amazing GraceJeanieBelliniDined on 5/14/2014This is the most impressive restaurant building I've ever eaten in. The restoration and development of this church into a restaurant is a beautiful feat. The food and cocktails were equally impressive. My husband's duck was one of the best duck dishes I've ever had and cooked perfectly! The bone marrow appetizer was very good but maybe just a little to much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerCorriVIPDined on 5/10/2014The staff at Grace is wonderful. I noted in my reservation that I was bringing my Mom here to celebrate Mother's Day; they gave us the "best seat in the house" overlooking the kitchen on an upstairs terrace. My Mom really loves ghost stories and many members of the staff indulged hers with some Grace stories. We each started with delicious salads (greens and artichoke/hearts of palm), which were both delicious. My Mom's steak and my fish were equally delicious. The cocktails were also amazing! Definitely want to go back during daylight to see how the space lights up with the stained glass. Wonderfull place for a nice evening or celebration!Special Features:
- Just OKdeuceDined on 5/10/2014Had been eager to fine at Grace for some time. Although food was excellent, the portions were painfully small and both my wife and I managed to leave the restaurant hungry. Bread, salad, entree and wine shouldn't have left us so. There were many open tables but we were seated directly at the base of the staircase which was in heavy use. The noise was tolerable but the steady pedestrian traffic was a irritating. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend as a special occasion kind of place but, for the money, left a little to be desired.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant contemporary settinggraceDined on 5/9/2014Elegant contemporary setting with a food for foodies. Delicious food and courteous professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Had a meal with friends before a show, I'm not from Portland and picked the place out on OpenTable. Was pleased, a very pleasant evening ensued.
- Very cool restored ChurchTokyoTomDined on 5/6/2014This old church now restaurant is certainly a must see when in Portland. It has been turned into a beautiful place to meet and eat. Food was great, steak are fit for the Flinstones.Special Features:
- Beautiful place to dinemangiafoodVIPDined on 5/3/2014I love this spot. The restaurant couldn't be more beautiful. My choice of entrees was a little misleading in the name and description so I wasn't in love with it - the main ingredient ended up being something I don't really like (and I like almost everything) but I won't hold that against the restaurant and look forward to my return!! Love the atmosphere and the original wood work. My husband's entree was good and the lobster in my meal was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining; unique venueilenererDined on 4/26/2014Set in an old, innovatively restored church, with a unique sculptural venting system for the open kitchen, and an amazing circular bar you can admire from the tables on the second floor balconies, this restaurant never fails to please. The menu changes regularly. The food is different and beautifully prepared. For example, at our last visit, my finicky son had the skatewing with squid ink pasta and littleneck clams in broth. He said it was one of the best meals he's ever had. I had the skirt steak, which was prepared very differently, and equally delicious. My husband had a different fish dish. We had appetizers and some of the unique mixed drinks, and shared a dessert. As usual, we left marveling at the wonderful food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Second Time's the CharmChrisCDined on 4/26/2014Went to Grace back in December '13 despite being told it was overrated. Had a good experience then, and decided to go again with others during our last trip to Portland. Had a BLAST! Service was fantastic! our waiter, David Smith was on the mark and was prompt without making us feel rushed. Food was excellent with awesome flavors and just the right portion size - enough to fill you without feeling bloated. told him that we didn't speak up when we didn't get our limoncello the first time we dined there, so he brought us out a complimentary drink. Highly recommend a dinner at Grace for special occasions!Special Features:
- Beautiful historic place; good foodParisRepasDined on 4/26/2014The space is beautiful, especially if you sit on the second floor. Food was very good, reasonably priced. Service very friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I took my girlfriend to Grace for her birthday. Having never been, but heard great things, I was extremely impressed with everything about Grace. The environment is great, in the old church building. Breathtaking!Special Features:
- AndyVIPDined on 4/26/2014An amazing restaurant! It's visually stunning, the food is brilliant, and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Food and service was outstanding. I highly recommend to all my friends who are visiting from out of town. The flounder was great and the steak was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions!Veghead1Dined on 4/25/2014I sent my cognac back as the pour was so tiny, they returned it with what could have been a teaspoon more, not a great first impression. We ordered the soup, which was lovely but my husband counted, 5 smallish spoonfuls.
- Service people made the differenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014Upon our arrival to Grace, we were seated immediately. However, we were seated at a high top bar type table which was not comfortable for one of our guest. We inquired about another table. The hostess, Hailey, (sp.) explained we could have possibly a 30 minute wait. All available table were reserved. We decided to make the best of the high top table. However, just after our drinks were served she informed us that a table had just opened up, would we care to look at it. It was a superior table! She and our server quickly moved our drinks and we continue on to enjoy a lovely dinner.Special Features:
- Do not miss this restaurant!kwintsDined on 4/19/2014Do not miss this restaurant! Great food and exceptional service! Oh, fantastic drinks, too!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceexit63Dined on 4/19/20145 of us for dinner and everyone loved EVERYTHING they were served! Service very attentive but never pushy. Great experience, so happy we tried Grace after having it on "our list" for sometime now. Will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GraceLikes2EatinMaineDined on 4/19/2014We made reservations here before a concert at the Merrill Auditorium. Food was wonderful and service was excellent. Our server knew we needed to get to the concert and when I selected a meal, she said it would take quite a bit of time to cook and suggested that I select something else. Will definitely come again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELY DINING EXPERIENCEMIMIDined on 4/19/2014We chose Grace to celebrate our 46th Wedding Anniversary... We arrived half hour early and were made to feel very welcome and were immediately seated. Had an excellant waitress who was very attentive to our needs. loved the dessert plates with the HAPPY ANNIVERSARY written in chocolate. would recommend GRACE for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Beautiful spaceChurchLadyDined on 4/12/2014This converted church is a a beautiful place to dine. The service was outstanding, but the food left something to be desired. For the price, I thought the food and wine list were of average quality for a fine doing establishment. It defiantly paled in comparison to the atmosphere and quality of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Portland RestaurantjoshVIPDined on 4/5/2014I don't know how it happened but Portland has become the restaurant capitol of New England, there are more first rate restaurants there than anywhere else on the East Coast besides New York. Grace is another example of an excellent Portland restaurant. It's located in a converted 19th century church which gives it a unique ambiance. We started with oysters and fois gras, then had lobster stew and duck. Everything was delicious. I wish OpenTable allowed fractional starts because I would like to have rated them a 4.5 instead of 4. The reason that I didn't rate them at 5 was because I want to reserve that for the absolute best restaurants, in Portland I think that honor still belongs to Hugo's, but no one will be disappointed with Grace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Gracesk8ladyVIPDined on 4/2/2014Food was quite good, as was service. But the amazing thing about Grace was the ambiance. Grace is in a former church, replete with stained glass and soaring beams. I was worried that I would feel uncomfortable, but Grace has worked hard to blend with their atmosphere. Servers wear a distinguished black, ad do the show kitchen staff. Music when I was there was gospel. The circular bar was fairly quiet. The only downside to this experience was the arwa--not one of Portland's finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat and relaxOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014We had a wonderful experience with our evening at Grace. The place was clean, people were attentive and the food was delicious. While it certainly is on the pricey side for a special occasion I think it is worth it. However, if you go and enjoy the entree part the price is reasonable and the atmosphere can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard decisionssuziemDined on 3/22/2014The food is wonderful which makes it hard to make a choice. My sister and I decided to get two different entrees and split them. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014I had notified the restaurant ahead of time that we would be going to the theater and our waiter greeted us with this knowledge. Service was prompt but not hurried. The music was lively but not loud or obtrusive. Thank you for that, Grace! Nothing we ordered was what we expected but everything exceeded our expectations. For an appetizer we shared an order of mussels. We were pleasantly surprised when they arrived already shucked. The sherry and creme fraiche sauce was an appreciated twist on the usual tomato based sauce. Our dinners were superb. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the no-work lobster stew which was abundant with juicy lobster.Special Features:
- Just Perfect!!LetseatDined on 3/21/2014We LOVE Grace!!We recently moved to the Portland area from the New York City area and had many wonderful meals at many wonderful restaurants in NYC. We are happy to say that Grace makes us feel like we are back home again!! Wonderful menu and fantastic ambiance. Job well done!!Special Features:
- The Ambience was gorgeous.EileenDined on 3/15/2014The Ambience was gorgeous. We were celebrating my husbands birthday and this place was perfect for a special night out.Special Features:
- Excellent food in a converted churcMikeMcCabeVIPDined on 3/12/2014Great ambiance. Excellent food and service. The original church is still mostly intact including the stained glass windows. Would recommend to anyone seeking a great dining experience. Another of Portland's seemingly endless number of first rate restaurants. Definitely the best small city foodie destination in the country.Special Features:
- WonderfulCarrieDined on 3/8/2014I reserved a table for 7 at grace for a bachelorette dinner and our entire experience was absolutely amazing. Upon arrival the hostesses were very nice and conversational as was our server. The food was delicious and nearly everyone at the table cleaned their plates. Last but not least was the amazing decor of the renovated church with original beams and stained glass - Grace has the unique ability to make any meal feel special!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Our meal was terrific and the service was great. We`ve been eating our way through the Portland foodie cornucopia and Grace was one of the top two places (tied) we`ve found so far. It`s setting in a converted church is beautiful, and certainly unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsPortlandGemDined on 3/8/2014Exceptional and quality food in an amazing setting. I would certainly recommend Grace to anyone who wants an intimate setting for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Great find. The food and service were great. Interesting atmosphere being Ina 19th century church. A little pricey but we will come again.Special Features:
- sense of placeIronSheffDined on 3/1/2014The setting is great...sitting upstairs in the balcony overlooking the bar and kitchen gives you a sense of the former church. Great cocktails and the food was a good match. Very attentive service...overall great place to enjoy a nice meal with some local ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MongooseVIPDined on 3/1/2014The hanger steak was recommended and didn't disappoint. The molasses butter was awesome with the bread. The wine list was very reasonably priced. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Great vibe and easy to have conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treatJulieVIPDined on 3/1/2014Walking in the front door I wondered if I had made a mistake by booking a table here but once the curtains parted the scene changed dramatically, Grace is in an old Methodist church and character and charm have been kept in tact. The bartender upstairs, Bert, was entertaining and once seated at our table the waitress was prompt and knowledgeable. The dining experience was delightful.Special Features:
- Wonderful and uniqueHeatherDined on 2/28/2014Grace hits the mark on atmosphere, drinks, and food all topped off by first-class service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2/28/14ChrisDined on 2/28/2014Seated promptly, though no surprise as many empty seats. Waiter arrived, never introduced self, with long delay after filling water glasses before coming back for drinks. Once food was ordered, it took over 45 minutes to arrive, though there did seem to be a party upstairs, so that could be the cause. When food arrived, very unimpressed. I had ordered the hanger steak medium rare, and it was raw. I'm not averse to rare, so I didn't complain, but still, a restaurant stating to be that caliber should know how to cook a steak. Decent flavor, and the sides were above average. Dessert much better, but not the wow that was expected. Pineapple mousse and coconut cake. Cake was stale. Overall not impressed and don't plan on going back.Special Features:
- Amazing Space...Decent DinnerBostonDingoVIPDined on 2/22/2014You must check out this restaurant when visiting Portland. The space is amazing and such a great concept. On a side note I think I would have enjoyed some snacks and a drink in the upstairs bar over a full meal. We started with some tuna sashimi which was dumped onto our table in a tiny plate with no accoutrements, it was sad. Next ordered the marrow, which we had to request additional toast points, but an interesting starter. Dinner was the flank steak which the husband enjoyed and I had the butter poached lobster pasta. Steak was better than the pasta which was nice but not worth the price. I had to asked for a stemmed wine glass. Waitress was extremely helpful and service was good. The space is beautiful and great details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot. Unique is an understateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014Great spot. Unique is an understatement. Staff was knowledgable. Food was excellent. Brought our two teenagers who were impressed mom and dad could pick something so cool. Somehow feels like a neighborhood place while also having the wow factor of the location. Tough street parking. Great choice for us.Special Features:
- Great meal!15thDined on 2/22/2014We went to Grace to celebrate our anniversary. The appetizers were excellent and out entrees were fantastic. Our server was very personable and went our of her way for us. While we were there, the music suddenly changed and a guy got down one one knee and proposed. It was great that the staff helped to make the moment special. Overall, a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.