Grace - Portland
15 Chestnut Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grace - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantgrace.com/
- Phone: 2078284422
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Sueltenfuss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check our events page!
A word from Grace - Portland
Grace Restaurant offers a first rate menu in an atmosphere of artistic mastery. In 2009 the historic Chestnut Street Church, in downtown Portland, was restored to its original beauty while creating a modern interior that both complemented the sculptural details of the church and reflected the innovative cuisine of chef, Peter Sueltenfuss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Grace - Portland - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Grace - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (91)romantic (73)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (37)notable wine list (29)hot spot (16)late-night find (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Good food; small portionsEaterVIPDined on 7/22/2014The appetizer portions, especially the pasta) were much too small for the price as was the fish entree. They ran out of duck by 6:45 p.m. which was disappointing since three of us wanted to order that dish. The pork chop was delicious and a really good size. We liked the bread and butter very much. Service was professional, and our waitress met our every need. The place was a bit warm. It certainly was different dining in an old church, but the entrance way was in need of refurbishing.
- deliciouslcg12Dined on 7/19/2014perfect for our visit in portland. we loved the food, the atmosphere and well - everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in every wayFoodForThoughtDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I made Saturday night reservations while visiting Portland from Boston only after the other 3 "more popular" restaurants were full. And we are so happy we did. What a wonderful evening. Designed inside a renovated church the ambiance is romantic, cozy and beautiful. The food (I had the halibut, my husband the squid pasta and seafood) was awesome. The service was impeccable. I loved it so much, after dinner we went for a walk and returned an hour later to have one of the restaurant's designer cocktails at the bar. I definitely recommend Grace. We will return.Special Features:
- luv2boatDined on 7/19/2014Great venue and food. Can't wait 'till we go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun findFoodieDined on 7/18/2014No outdoor dining or view which is too bad for a great summer weather city but terrific food and cool setting. Inside vibe was vibrant and fun, huge area for bar and. Lots of people eating wt the bar, but not a noisy or crowded scene the night we were there. Food was delicious and very fresh and interesting. Had Arctic char that was perfect over a curry risotto which was surprisingly light and flavorful. Hanger steak was very tender and my husband was able to have it served over beans and vegetables rather than a starch and it was rich and tender. Halibut was hearty but not heavy and a fresh mix of favors. Foie gras appetizer was to die for. Cheese and wine lists both great. Excellent service all around. Sit upstairs if you can.Special Features:
- Great Food & Great Service!SuzieQ92Dined on 7/18/2014My boyfriend took me out to Grace for my birthday dinner and we had a fantastic experience. I knew it was going to be a little bit of an adventure for us because we understood about half of what was on the menu when we made reservations. Firstly, the drinks were fantastic! Probably one of the best old-fashions we had ever had. Secondly, our waitress was awesome. She didn't rush us through our meal and did an excellent job guiding us through the menu and helping us pick out charcuterie and appetizers according to our tastes. It was the best meal I've had in a while. Thirdly, the ambiance of the restaurant was beautiful! The stained glass windows and pretty arches provided a beautiful backdrop for a scrumptious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTomasinaDined on 7/18/2014The place had a lively buzz, but there was little ambiance. It felt institutional to us. We hoped the food would make up for that. Our starters were delivered almost immediately. About 5 minutes after we finished, our main courses were brought. This was not good pacing, and it was not a busy night, so why the rush? My husband had the lobster & shellfish with squid ink pasta. It was very good. I has the skate wing and beef shank with grits. It was nearly inedible. It was over-salted, the sauce was more like a gravy, the grits were oily, and the beef overpowered the skate. It was heavy-handed and just didn't work. We decided to skip dessert.Special Features:
- Fantastique !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Superbe endroit avec un service à la hauteur. Cuisine excellente (les ris de veau croustillants et tendre à la fois). La cuisson des viandes excellentes. Une carte des vins excellente, ils avait même du Opus one à 180$ (400$ à Montréal). J'en ai réservé une pour la fête du travail!Special Features:
- Well done!eeClarVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food and service were second to none. Had the pea soup and halibut. Both were perfect. Will recommend to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion DiningdianemeDined on 7/11/2014Lovely setting (an old church with stained glass windows), but the entrance into the restaurant showed wear and tear, entering through a curtained off doorway. Seated upstairs where it felt private and quiet, giving an overall view of the restaurant. The menu is great for "foodies" (different choices). Only 2 choices of beef: a hanger steak or a 20 oz ribeye. Would have liked to have seen a filet choice. I had the hanger steak which was very good, though too many fried green beans; my husband had the baked halibut (also very good). We shared a delicious parsnip ravioli as appetizer, due to seeing other reviews. Many of the appetizers could be selected as a dinner entree for higher price. Appetizer, entrees, beer and wine came to $95.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I went to Grace very early one evening. The church is beautiful, the service is fantastic and the food is spectacular. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grace is GREAT!!!beverlyDined on 7/9/2014First off, you are taken in by the soaring ceilings and just gorgeous interiors. Then your very amiable server arrives. Drinks are served, then the Anadama bread with a delicious molasses whipped butter. Yum!!! WE shared parship raviolis. Beautifully presented and just fabulous. I had the pork entree, others had hangar steak and chicken. Desserts were scrumptious. All in all, a great experience.Special Features:
- Didn't love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We had been for drinks and appetizers before. This time we were not impressed. Waitstaff didn't have knowledge of menu. Salads came out while appetizer still on the table. Rhubarb dessert tri was literally inedible. Poor kitchen hygieneSpecial Features:
- Unexpected surpriseSEHJDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by our wonderful dinner at Grace. The setting is so unique and the service was very attentive. We thoroughly recommend the salmon duo appetizer, the charcuterie, and the Arctic char. I had a wonderful chartreuse-based cocktail, but their house special "Holy Tea" left an even stronger impression. We have already recommended the restaurant to many friends, and hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rangemeisterrangemeisterDined on 7/3/2014Based on many of the reviews, I expected a dramatic ambiance but somewhat pedestrian food. The design lived up to my expectations, and I'm happy to say that the food proved to be excellent. It was both conceived and executed extremely well. This is a fairly pricey restaurant, but the portions are generous, and it's a perfect spot for a special occasion or just a splurge night out.Special Features:
- Divine DiningWfrazierDined on 7/2/2014As a native New Yorker, I am a bit jaded regarding selective restaurants, but I have to give Grace a top review. Every segment-from drinks at the circular bar to each delectable course- deserves highest praise. The ambience-beyound belief! The service was friendly and most helpful. I heartily recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- 3/4 great 1/4 not gooddivingannDined on 6/28/2014Nice but different atmosphere. Appetizer of parsnip ravioli with cherries and blue cheese out of this world. Salad with beets - good although I didn't see any goat cheese in it. My entrée of duck breast with green garlic pesto was wonderful. The downside was my husband's fish - absolutely raw. I am not talking about a little rare in the middle like they prepare salmon now a days. I am talking liked seared tuna - totally totally raw in the middle - or about 90% of it - and it was NOT tuna. I think it was char. When we finally got the attention of the server he said that is how they prepare it. Excuse me! We are foodies and travel all over the world. He must have thought we didn't know anything about food.Special Features:
- DeeDeeDined on 6/28/2014Our food was absolutely outstanding, except for the dessert. We ordered the rubarb 3 ways for dessert - and both of us did not like any of it. The rubarb almost tasted sour or bad - it needed some sweetness to it or something. We each took a small bite of each and couldn't eat anymore. The rest of the meal was fabulous. One suggestion would to be have some wine selections under $50 - maybe in the $35 range. Normally we would order a bottle of wine - but didn't because of the price.Special Features:
- Great food, service was spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/27/2014The food was amazing. Good wine list and great bartender. It was a little funny that we got there ten minutes early and they wouldn't seat us even though half the tables were empty. Our waitress was very nice but after she brought dessert menus she disappeared for over 20 minutes.
- Excellent food, Great pricesJJNYDined on 6/27/2014Although I felt guilty initially to see that a church was converted to a restaurant, I was impressed to see how they have converted and how well they are managing it! Excellent fine dining place, with great local food, great service. The bread and butter was so special that I had to ask for the recipe for the same - and they were happy to share that!! I would definitely go back, when I am in Maine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner ChoiceAlphaphiDined on 6/27/2014We were there on a moderately crowded Friday night. The food was creative and delicious. The church setting was unique and fun. Will come back next time we are in town.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Ce fut une belle soirée,un excellant service ,les plats que nous avons choisis étaient a la hauteur de nos attentes et que dire de l endroit une église wow!!!!!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem...zavazavazooDined on 6/21/2014Grace has a unique ambiance with its high church ceiling, balcony perches and gorgeous stained glass windows. There is beauty all around as you dine. The delicious menu allows changes and features creative twists on classic dishes. I love their soups most of all - they are always rich in flavor and imagination! What makes Grace extra special though is an attentive and friendly staff who strike the perfect balance between formal dining and the unpretentious Maine way. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerryDined on 6/21/2014The food was outstanding. The service friendly and professional. We couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:
- Great EveningHappy2recDined on 6/14/2014Grace was new to the four of us, and we will all be back soon! Everything was excellent. Staff, food, ambience, timing were all A+ I highly recommend this great restaurant.Special Features:
- Disappointing!LuvgoodfoodnhDined on 6/14/2014You only get one chance to make a good first impression, and boy, did Grace blow it. From the time we entered and the hostess refused our seating preference dispite many open tables(and we had a reservation made several weeks in advance), to the over cooked, very dry halibut, to the waitress who, after telling the chef of our disappointment with the halibut, tossed our bill on the table without a word, it was a very unpleasant birthday dinner. We really looked forward to a great experience, and clearly we set our expectation way too high. Needless to say, we won't go back.
- Great atmosphere and tasty foodCHRISMPARKERVIPDined on 6/14/2014Grace has a beautiful interior that makes dinning indoors during the beautiful Maine summer enjoyable. The Hanger steak was cooked to perfection and for added spice I enjoyed the spicy margarita. Enjoy your dinner @ Grace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantBalloonArtistDined on 6/11/2014Another couple and us were in Portland for a meeting. We wanted dinner and found Grace. The steak was too big for any one of us so each couple shared the 20 ounce steak. It took 30 minutes to arrive, but with the wonderful cheese boards available and the reasonably priced wine, time went very fast. In fact 2 1/2 hours surprised us when we realized we needed to move the car in 10 minutes. The name, Grace, and being in a church provided a great ambiance. I would return again, next time in Portland, ME.Special Features:
- Perfect dinnerThales23Dined on 6/6/2014We brought our friends from Australia here and they loved it. Everything was terrific and our waiter Garrett got it just right. The hostess who met us even remembered talking to David the night before. Thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- OutstandingShrink2346Dined on 6/6/2014The food and service were excellent, all within the ambience of a former old church, stained glass windows, vaulted ceilings and all. We were pleasantly surprised at the unique dishes blending unusual tastes into sublime entrees. Desserts matched that high standard. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Wedding AnniversarygeekprydeDined on 6/5/2014Beautiful setting in a very old Church, great staff, awesome food, and a nice small and quiet table for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. The stained-glass windows and upper level balcony looking down onto the first level makes for a magical dining experience. The cheese plate and fried green beans were simple starter plates that were full of flavor, and the main course that followed was complex and delicious. It was a rainy Thursday night, so restaurant was only half full, which was a perfect as we had an intimate table where I surprised my wife with a ring. The staff was very enthusiastic and courteous. We will definitely go back again and tell lots of our friends to check it out. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mageeDined on 6/3/2014all six of us thought food was fabulous. The service was also great. Our waiter connected with everyone at the table. The noise level was low so made conversation possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place with Great FoodWantabefoodieDined on 6/3/2014It was a great place to go for foodies or a special meal for your anniversarySpecial Features:
- MixedBmontdiner2Dined on 5/31/2014Thought the food was exceptional - service was great. Sat upstairs - was a little surprised and disappointed - the chairs looked a little "shop-worn" and needed to be replaced - almost looked "seedy" -- Considering how much work was put into restoring the church, little things like this make a difference. My friend who visited Grace a couple of months had the same impression. I liked Grace, but would definitely consider other venues considering the price point, ambiance, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the showtysonjacquesDined on 5/27/2014We got in a bit earlier than usual because we were going to see a concert that started pretty early. It was rainy and pretty miserable outside, but coming in, the restaurant and staff were warm and welcoming. Our waiter, Bert, was knowledgable and as passionate about their offerings as he was about the show we were about to see (and he was about to miss.) My wife had the chicken and I had the hanger steak - everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection. I can't wait to find an excuse to go back.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTakemeoutDined on 5/24/2014We loved Grace. There were four in our party and we tried everything we could: oysters, charcuterie, bone marrow, sweet breads, pate, rib eye, skate wing, flank steak, flounder, cocktails and wine. Service was exceptional, food imaginative and amazing. We loved the space. We were seated downstairs and it was a busy holiday weekend. It was bustling and lively; however, the noise level wasn't disturbing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 756 reviews are from the Grace - Portland reviews archive.
- SpectacularchappyferryDined on 5/24/2014Grace is a restaurant that combines an absolutely stunning atmosphere with excellent food at really quite reasonable prices for what one receives. The owner clearly has amazing taste and has renovated this huge open church into an historic interior with gorgeous central bar. Every detail was considered. The menu was varied and everything that we tried was excellent. Steaks appear to be very popular, although we didn't try one this time. A must visit if you are in Portland.Special Features:
- JimBDined on 5/24/2014Dinner was a bit off as the ribeye special was not in good time with the roast duck. The ribeye was delayed and the duck was luke warm. The duck was very good. The ribeye was good not great. Grace is not a steak house and as such it was not steakhouse quality.Special Features:
- sgmaugieVIPDined on 5/24/2014I typically order their steak entrees and have always enjoyed it but I wanted something slightly lighter in terms of the protein. I decided to try their vegan entree this time - buckwheat udon noodles with mushrooms, carrots, turnips, and a mix of spices. It is one of their least expensive entrees, and it was phenomenal - the sauce was complex, the buckwheat noodles were perfectly cooked which is no small feat, and the dish altogether is now my new favorite. I have not had a bad meal at Grace yet; the staff is attentive and knowledgeable, the wait for food service is just right, not too quick and not too slow, which gives you time to enjoy the ambiance and amazing set up.Special Features:
- Spectacular venue, food and serviceGraceWasGreatDined on 5/20/2014Grace is inimpressive as you enter the vestibule and climb the stairs to the restaurant level, but once you enter the dining space it is like another world. There is lots of open space with dining along the exterior walls and in the balcony. We were seated next to a group of 15 in the balcony and didn't really notice any distraction due to noise from their conversations. The food was superb and the service was top notch. Will definitely return for another meal soon!Special Features: