Matchbox - Rockville
1699 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Rockville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.matchboxrockville.com/
- Phone: 3018160369
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon McArthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Matchbox-Rockville offers 3 distinct private event spaces for all of your special occasions. A brand new and beautiful property centrally located on Rockville Pike.
- Private Party Contact: Alisia Kleinmann 8669450085
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz 11am - 2pm
- Special Events: Matchbox was designed to offer a number of different choices in planning your event. Toast your guests with a delicious infused martini or spread out in our spacious and inviting dining room.
A word from Matchbox - Rockville
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Matchbox - Rockville - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Matchbox - Rockville reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (74)great for lunch (72)good for groups (70)fit for foodies (49)kid-friendly (46)neighborhood gem (45)great for brunch (41)special occasion (37)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (9)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great Food & Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014My husband and I had an awesome dinner. We both ordered fish dishes and both were great! The service was excellent and the noise level was low. Would definitely go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulBeatwellDined on 3/7/2014I love the salads , add a protein for a fabulous supper. Pizzas and burgers are also yummy. There is something for every taste bud. servers are very pleasant and helpful.Special Features:
- Great ambiance for fun groupsChaseDined on 3/5/2014We had a table of 12 put together for us and were treated very well by the wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it, but a bit loudJimOVIPDined on 3/5/2014The waiter was very pleasant, provided the right level of attention and had a great attitude. We were there for our 5th anniversary and were pleased with the atmosphere. It was our first time here and will definitely return. Good service AND good food is a hard combination to find these days. Matchbox had both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of us liked our lunch,luncherVIPDined on 3/5/2014Some of us liked our lunch, others were not so happy. It is okay, but the noise level is just too high to have a conversation without straining to hear.
- Matchbox Never MissessloomisDined on 3/2/2014As a regular visitor to the Rockville Matchbox I continue to enjoy the restaurant and food for the most part. On this occasion there was some confusion as two waitresses were "sharing" our table which meant we got asked the same questions a lot which was weird. It wasn't that big of a deal really, just seemed like a bad idea. I also switched up my order from my normal favorite pizza to try the crispy half chicken and was not that impressed. The sides were great but the chicken was on the dry side.
- Great pizza and service at MatchboxOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2014We've been to Matchbox several times, and have not been disappointed. The service is great, and the food is good. We had pizza this time, taking the recommendation of our server and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/1/2014It's just a good spot for simple but yummy food. We have fun every time. Hate Rockville Pike but really like this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceLarryHSDined on 3/1/2014Thanks to Matt and Yuka for facilitating our large group on a Saturday night and making it a great gathering. Thanks to Stephanie and the other servers who accommodated separate checks and were great servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Went to have dinner before a concert at The Strathmore. Wonderful service, delectable dishes and the most refreshing wine paired with our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014We come from our ot state to visit grandchildren. We always eat here. It is fun and delicious for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/28/2014We have been coming to your restaurant alot since you opened. Last visit was horrible!! I guess there is no point in making a reservation and putting any comments in since they are not being read at all! This time around it was important to us to be seated at a nice, bit more quiet table as we had something big to celebrate. We are aware of the Matchbox being more a vibrant and energetic restaurant and esp. on a Friday night it would be busy and noisy, but after our request to be seated right by the bar, that's very upsetting!! This ruined the moment and the evening and left a bad taste behind. We won't be coming back anytime soon, if ever. Our server (can't remember her name) was great tho, none of this was her fault!
- Great Food as always!!motherdaughtertimeDined on 2/28/2014This was my daughter's first visit to the restaurant, great time, I have been telling her about the great food. The food did not disappoint, it was great and she definitely wants to come back. This was my second trip visit there in one week. Planning on trying something different every time. Service was very good, server was friendly but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and good valueGeegVIPDined on 2/25/2014Matchbox has solid food and fair prices. I really like the back room with the fireplace in the Rockville restaurant. The service was friendly without being cloying. I've eaten at the Chinatown and Capitol Hill branches, but this one might be my favorite.Special Features:
- MatchboxMatchboxVIPDined on 2/24/2014Disappointed in the menu changes. Matchbox in Rockville was my go to place but this time I felt the menu was much more limiting. Also, my vegan daughter was with me. No menu choices for vegans. There is dairy in the black bean burger and even all of the salad dressings. Our waitress was terrific though and helped her customize a salad and she used the garlic purée as her dressing. I wish the menu would go back to some of the previous offerings.
- We came out with 4 friendsDiane102360Dined on 2/22/2014We came out with 4 friends so there was a total of 6 of us. We started out at one of the auxiliary bars while watching Syracuse Bball. We got to our table and had a good server who was readily available to us throughout the evening. Food and drinks were very good. We've been before and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch menu!FoodDudeDined on 2/22/2014This was our first time here for breakfast, as we only ever had lunch or dinner here. The breakfast/brunch lived up to the same top quality food as their lunch and dinner! The menu offerings are creative, and the plates were superb! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My recent visit was for workingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2014My recent visit was for working lunch meeting and the environment, food, and service was great! I also appreciate the phone call that was made by the restaurant staff to confirm my reservation. Great dining experience! I look forward to the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food better drinks great timesTm34Dined on 2/19/2014The title says it all. Matchbox always has amazing and super fresh food and also their drinks are on point. The wait staff are great and sociable, with excellent insight of their menu. It's one of my favorite spots to go to, whether a nice dinner with friends and family or on a date it's always a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseanndyDined on 2/19/2014I had been to matchbox for lunch often but not dinner. I was impressed with the very friendly and helpful service as well as the quality of the dinner meals. it was a special occasion--a girl friends birthday--and everyone enjoyed their meal and this was a group of particular foodies--several being dieticians!Special Features:
- great brunchdcdinerDined on 2/16/2014Three generation family enjoyed Sunday brunch here, including one in a wheelchair, and everybody felt well-cared-for and want to come back, including the teenagers. Attractive, quiet, spacious; prompt and unobtrusive service. A couple of people had special requests and these were accommodated without fuss. I'm from Chicago, and this is the first deliciously thin-crusted pizza I've tasted in DC. One note of caution: we were here early, and can't say anything about what it's like when it's really full and busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- matchbox is a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014The Matchbox has been on my Wife and I's short list of favorite places, and they never fail to give us a pleasant meal, both in ambiance, service and of course, FOOD - we have never had a less than fantastic mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!DCBluesDined on 2/14/2014The sampler with the sliders, scallops and crab cakes was fantastic, and I'm still craving more of your shrimp and grits. The server was helpful and friendly, but not very thorough - would have appreciated soda refills, another glass of wine, clearing plates, a prompt check. My only big concern was the seating - we had a reservation and were seated promptly. However, there were a LOT of open tables near us, yet the hosts kept the folks in the front lobby waiting a long time. A woman who checked in ahead of us didn't get seated until we were nearly done eating. Meanwhile, at least half the tables in the room we were in were empty.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Over all it was a great place to be in general and on valentines daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine Meal OutBobJDined on 2/14/2014Had a nice experience at MatchBox. The on-line reservation system is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service on a tough nightSnowstormDinerVIPDined on 2/13/2014Matchbox was one of the few open restaurants during the snow storm Thursday. Even short staffed they did a great job of serving everyone. Our server Joshua did a wonderful job and was very positive. Food was timely, hot and good. We both noted the manager leading by example doing everything from drying glassware to serving to cleaning up tables. They were working as a team. We have been here before and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre PizzaCycler2Dined on 2/10/2014Although I have eaten at the Matchbox in Washington DC, this was my first visit to the Rockville location. The room was nice, and the service fine, but the pizza was just so-so. The crust was hard (rather than crispy). The pizza at Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church Va is far superior. Just my two cents.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a groupEkelnorDined on 2/9/2014We had a moderately large group of 8 for brunch and it was great. Service was fast and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceEdwardVIPDined on 2/8/2014Had a late Friday night reservation for dinner with friends. Was seated promptly then another 15 minutes before the waiter greets us, only to say hello and be right back. Ten minutes later is back with water and wants to take drink order. We explain we have been here almost an 1/3 hour and ready to order. He has someone else's drinks in his hands and says, lets do drinks now and will be back. Ten minutes later, back to take food order but no drinks. This is the cycle during the entire dining time. Not good. Food, a few salads, were good but the service was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Wine & Fireplace!luvbistrodocDined on 2/8/2014Great food and wine at an affordable price seated next to a roaring fire on a cold wintery evening. We had a wonderful evening at The Matchbox! The trio appetizer was excellent!!!. The three of us were very pleased with our entree selections of the black bean veggie burgers and the pork loin. Lemon curd and trio desserts were decadently delicious! Service was well-timed and friendly. Although the noise level was a bit loud, we enjoyed being seated right next to the fireplace that cold evening. Great ambiance as we sipped our drinks, spent a lovely evening with a friend while waiting for our food to arrive. Definitely four stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too popular to listen?71pensVIPDined on 2/1/2014We ordered mini burgers cooked medium as an appetizer. When they arrived, the burgers were well done. They offered to make another order but I declined stating that they wouldn't be ready before the entrees. Our waiter returned and mentioned that they would cook another order and that the manager would take care of it. The burgers arrived well after the entree and matchbox charged me for dessert burgers that I ordered as an appetizer. Due to the disappointing experience,We will look elsewhere for places that know the meaning of customer service.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Love the quality of the food. All was very tasty and the service was super nice! I highly recommend this restaurant -Special Features:
- Matchbox was excellent asSteveDined on 1/22/2014Matchbox was excellent as always. The food was great! Cooked perfectly. The waiter was attentive and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Was the BestDineOut2MuchVIPDined on 1/19/2014Another enjoyable dinner at Matchbox in Rockville. The food was outstanding and the service was the best.. We just wish the music was better and not so loud.Special Features:
- tastey brunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2014We went for lunch/brunch and had a great time. In had the eggs benedict, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a beautiful spaceAngelaDDined on 1/19/2014Matchbox in Rockville is a very beautiful restaurant -- high ceilings, rich wooden tables and a great design. The brunch menu is good and I liked that you could order from the regular menu as well. I had the ahi seared tuna salad while my dining partner ordered the waffles from the brunch menu. The food was excellent. They also have an interesting drink menu with a variety of mimosas and bloody marys for brunch. I ordered the Palm Springs Mimosa -- champagne, grapefruit juice and pomegranate liqueur. Yummy! I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightJessicaDined on 1/19/2014We took friends from Brooklyn here for brunch, and it was perfect. A variety of choices for all waistlines rather than being forced into an extravaganza buffet, and satisfying inventive cocktails. I like the open modern layout of the room as well. Our server was personable and helpful, too. All round good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as good as all matchboxOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/18/2014Food as good as all matchbox and that is good. Dessert preceded entree on Prix fix meal. Duck way over cooked. Server would go to get something for us and stop at 2 other tables to talk while we wait for fork.
- Dependable, but...RWoodBVIPDined on 1/14/2014The restaurant always uses very good ingredients. On this occasion, the tuna salad had crisp greens and firm tuna, but the dressing was almost flavorless. The wine selection is well chosen and reasonably priced. While no espresso is available, the coffee that is offered has robust flavor. The music is loud and fast paced,, and requires one to raise one's voice to talk. For that reason, I would not recommend the restaurant to single diners and couples who want a quieter atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sooo goodMojo7Dined on 1/11/2014This place is delicious! Pizza is out of this world and they have a great and unique drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.