PAIRINGS palate + plate
10 Walnut Ave
Cranford, NJ 07016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
PAIRINGS palate + plate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pairingscranford.com/
- Phone: 9082764026x
- Hours of Operation:
PAIRINGS is a causal fine dining experience and BYOW.(We'll uncork and pour the first glass...)
Wednesday Night: Four Course Prix Fixe Menu 5:30 to 9:00 pm
(courses: appetizer + handmade pasta + main + dessert)
Thursday Night: Tapas Thursday + Regular Dinner Menu 5.30pm to 10:00 pm
Fri 5.30pm to 11:00 pm
Sat 5.30pm to 11.00 pm RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED
Sun 5.00pm to 9.00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carol Murphy Clyne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: PAIRINGS palate+plate offers on-site private (25 to 100) and semi-private (8 to 15) party dining.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Murphy Clyne, executive chef/owner 9082764026x
- Entertainment: Stay updated on our menu, events & cookbook launch party by following us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pairingscranford.
We also offer onsite private parties for up to 100 people, customized cooking classes & corporate team building events.
Bring Your Own Wine (BYOW)
- Special Events: Join us Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday Nights to enjoy our daily amuse-bouche, intermezzo palate cleanser and a finale of a sweet treat from the chef, complimentary.
Wednesday Night Four Course Tasting Menu http://www.pairingscranford.com/files/prix_fix_dinner_menu.pdf
- Cross Street: For GPS use 10 Walnut Ave - Corner of South Ave East and Walnut Ave.
- Public Transit: NJ Transit: Bus and Train (Raritan Valley Line) RR Station in Cranford town center across the street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: 300 space parking deck steps away, free after 6pm and all day on Sun.
To go to the parking deck, after you turn under the railroad underpass onto N Union Ave, make a quick right turn into the parking garage. Come out of the garage, the same side you drove in, and walk down the lane directly ahead of you (behind the Cranford Hotel.) We are immediately on your right at the end of the lane.
There is also lots of street parking, free after 6 pm and all day Sun.
A word from PAIRINGS palate + plate
PAIRINGS brings together globally inspired cooking, local and sustainable practices and the comfort of grandma's recipes. All of our breads and pastas, all of our stocks and sauces, all of our desserts and ice creams are made from scratch here in our Cranford kitchen. Our plates, which change based on seasonal availability, extend from gourmet to comfort. Each ingredient is strategically paired to intrigue and invigorate, to stimulate and satisfy: sweet with savory, crunchy with creamy, spicy with tangy. Just-baked breads and desserts, freshly rolled pastas, slowly braised meats, à la minute sautéed seafood and ice creams churned daily, leave no palate untingled.Continued
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
PAIRINGS palate + plate - Best Restaurants in Cranford ›
PAIRINGS palate + plate reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)special occasion (79)romantic (69)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (31)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The food was great. The selectionsHappy2shareDined on 3/5/2011The food was great. The selections were very varied, even a vegetarian could find several items to choose from. Just the right amount of meat, seafood and pasta choices and decent portions, not too much. The service was great and desserts were fabulous (toasted almond ice cream was out of this world!.Nice ambiance too.Special Features:
- New gem in CranfordOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2011It's great to see Cranford come on strong with such exciting restaurants. PAIRINGS is another great addition to the town. Very good menu, very professional waitstaff and delicious food. BYO so you can enjoy your own wine without worrying about the 100% restaurant mark-up. My only nit is the slightly overpriced entrees but there are a few on there that are a bargain. Will go back in a second and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Comfortable atomsphere withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/5/2011Comfortable atomsphere with a couple of dark corners if you'd like some privacy but at the same time it's a great place for a group becauce it's byob. A varied menu with options for vegetarian and omnivores. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and attentive, but not obtrusive. We had 4 differnt entrees (duck confit, Salmon, roast turkey and lamb duo) and all were very good. Several very good appitizers and inventive desserts. The best one being the jumbo soft carrot cookie with buttemilk ice cream. Will definitly go back.Special Features:
- A definite winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2011Loved it. I had the potato soup which came with a tasty mushroom pastry. Very nice. The short ribs were juicy and tender. Mashed potatoes a little watery. The house salad was abundant and delicious as was the black sea bass.Special Features:
- The food is pricey, but thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2011The food is pricey, but this is a good special occasion place.Special Features:
- Still working out the kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/26/2011Still working out the kinks re: seating and service. Had reservation but still had to wait 30 mins. or so to be seated. Interesting menu, overall food was very good, reasonably priced for its type. Service was a little spotty but I would chalk that up to the fact that it has only been open a short time.Special Features:
- The tables were somewhat closespecialdate50Dined on 2/26/2011The tables were somewhat close together but the noise level was pretty low-that could have just been due to the people there at the time. The presentation was lovely, the settings were great and the food quantity was good. The service was excellent. Prices were a little on the high side but for the level of food, it was comparable to other similar restaurants. Will definitely return againSpecial Features:
- Really enjoyed ourselves.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2011Really enjoyed ourselves. Was made to feel welcome and special by the staff at every stage of the dining experience; from entrance...to exit. The ambience was very adult and sophisticated; there were NO kids in the restaurant...even during our early seating time (5:30-7pm). The food was expensive...but delicious. My only culinary disappointment was the sticky rice...which was bland (at least considerably less sweet than the Thai sticky rice served at our local Westfield favorite). One excellent feature that expanded menu selections was the ability to get appetizers in entree sized portions. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- This new restaurant definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/24/2011This new restaurant definitely has a great concept - eclectic menu ideas and pairing of food (hence the name), but still needs to refine the execution. We had the salmon and the tuna, both of which were overcooked, biscuits in the bread basket dry, servers so anxious as to be uncomfortably overwhelming. Also think it's a bit overpriced for the area. We'll only be going back on a prie fix night.Special Features:
- Personnel were warm and friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2011Personnel were warm and friendly. Food both tasted great and was presented beautifully.Special Features:
- Pairings is absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2011Pairings is absolutely wonderful - beautiful decor, excellent food, first rate chef! The entire dining experience was superb!The menu is amazing - from starters to desserts - fresh, innovative and delicious.Special Features:
- Pairings...Off to a great start!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2011The atmosphere is very cool and tasteful...feel like you are dining in the city. There was a bit of a wait so I would recommend making a reservation...the food was excellent..and we eat out alot....the service was great and it was a BYOB which was a plus. Would definitely recommend this place as a total dining expereince.Special Features:
- pretty venueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/19/2011new byob restaurant in business center of cranford. we dine out at least once a week and wanted to try this local, so we we booked at 5:30 on a saturday night. the door hours on said "6-12 pm" and they were just setting up but after a quizzical look they greeted us warmly and seated us. we were the only ones before 6pm , so i think it was an open table glitch.it is not "inexpensive". short ribs on bone were very good. portions were more on the nouveau cuisine side of portion. mate's salmon square was smallish. my garlic mashed potatoes were smallish and watery(only thing that was not well prepared). restaurant had beautiful tables and chairs and linens. large glass windows added nice daytime light,but view was traffic, would go for curtainsSpecial Features:
- Our entire dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2011Our entire dining experience was outstanding! The food was exceptional and beautifully presented. Every bite was burst of flavor. Menu was inventive and stands above the average offering. The atmosphere was sleek, modern and very inviting. The staff worked well together and the timing of the serving was perfect. We brought friends who also loved every part of our evening at Pairings. We will all be frequent diners!Special Features:
- needs improvement in main coursesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2011The service, ambiance, and food presentation were excellent. However, I can't say the same about the food itself. My gf & I shared the crab cakes for appetizer(delicious, one of the best crab cakes we have had, and the apple strudel duo for dessert( above average per gf, I am not much a dessert person). Our main dishes were not impressive at all! My gf ordered the short rib which was very blank in flavor. I had the black pepper speckled fettuccini marsala + chicken which didn't even had a hint of marsala flavor. It tasted more like fettuccini alfredo + chicken to me. I personally am not a fan of fettucinni alfredo so to have marsala tasted as alfredo is a big no no to me. We probably would willing to give it another try.Special Features:
- Very nice ambiance unfortunatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/18/2011Very nice ambiance unfortunately we were all disappointed with our food.
- amazing place to dine foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2011amazing place to dine food is incredible hosts are very personable and friendly wait staff is courteous and helpful atmosphere is comfortable and elegantSpecial Features:
- What a pleasant surprise.bonesVIPDined on 2/18/2011What a pleasant surprise. Staff was lovely, and food was delicious. Not used to a white tablecloth restaurant in the area. Menu is a little different than all the other restaurants around and food was well prepared and presented. I felt as though I was dining, not eating. Will definitely go back--soon!Special Features:
- A Great Cranford Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2011Ilove the relaxed feel of this place - dark, small and cozy – I definitely will return to try more dishes. The lump crab cake appetizer is phenomenal as well as the black pepper speckeled fettuccini marsala with chicken! A must try for everyone! Affordable, and don't forget, bring your special wine to "pair"!Special Features:
- Very New Yorky ambiance inOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/16/2011Very New Yorky ambiance in the heart of downton Cranford. Food was good if not overworked. Service was absolutely top notch!Special Features:
- I made this reservation formelgodyVIPDined on 2/14/2011I made this reservation for Valentines Day because it looked interesting online and it is nearby. I didn't realize that they were opened only two weeks. The food was excellent. Service was good and considering they just opened it was actually quite impressive. I will definitely come back here and really hope they succeed.Special Features:
- An excellent dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011The food at Pairings was excellent. They're very good at really building complex flavors from subtle ingredients. To be honest, the prices were actually lower than I expected, and the portions were larger than I anticipated. They have also mastered the art of presentation. The minimalist feel of the restuarant, serving dishes, silverware, and even the seating leaves one with nothing to do except concentrate on the food in front of you and the person across the table. The place is run very efficiently, and I would absolutely recommend it to friends. Oh, and BYOB is a definite plus. I am very pleased to have a fine restaurant like this right in downtown Cranford.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2011Thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Appetizers, entre and dessert were superb! If there were anything to nitpick, I would say those Nordic looking wooden chairs are hard to sit on for the hour or so for dinner.Special Features:
- I found PAIRINGS to be moreOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/13/2011I found PAIRINGS to be more style than substance. They also offered very few drinks (no sodas)Special Features:
- 200 dinner for four. PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011200 dinner for four. Pricey for mediocre food. It bring your own soda. I had bass and scallops, 2 small scallops with small bass filet over dried noodles. My daughter had pork chops, they were dried and tough. Service took two hours, very slow. Best part of the meal was dessrt. Sorry but this resto is no good for the mo.ey. Nothing special for the hype. 6 months tops!
- The food was very good. HoweverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2011The food was very good. However we thought the menu was limited and the portions were small. We left hungry. Not a restaurant I would bring my kids to. Nice atmosphere, but all three men in our party complained that the chairs were very uncomfortable We will try the brunch next. The service might have been better if we had a different waitress. She never came back to check on us, and we asked for water twice and never got it. Not sure it's a good fit for Cranford.Special Features:
- Rare I would bash somethingKupeVIPDined on 2/12/2011Rare I would bash something that only has been open 1 week, but on near every front it was awful, too many other choices to try again. A few examples: order one of the top main courses (tuna) at 8 pm on Saturday night, 15 minutes later say they are out of it, time between app and main was near 90 minutes and they waiter stopped by once, $29 pasta with seafood was tiny portion with almost no flavor. In summary not well run, way overpriced for portion, food was below average. Nice space though.
- Wasn't a fan of the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/12/2011Wasn't a fan of the food. Service kinks need to be worked out pronto. No water or wine service for 10 minutes, though our actual waitress, once she arrived, was very nice. Expensive for portion size.
- The Starters were not quiteJJAVDined on 2/12/2011The Starters were not quite up to the hype. Very bland Salad, and dry chicken. Entree's were much better. Lamb was cooked perfectly, as was the Ahi Tuna. Desert, Giant Chocolate Cupcake, stood out as the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- They need to work out a fewOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/12/2011They need to work out a few kinks with only having been open a couple weeks but I expect this place will do well.Special Features:
- The food was very good! TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/11/2011The food was very good! They kept bring out little "treats" throughout that we did not anticipate (variety of breads, amuse bouche, palate cleanser, little cookies, and a small take-home dessert). While out server was very pleasant, there was a lot of wait time between sitting and taking the order, more wait between courses, and then more wait again when we were trying to get the bill. It would not have been a problem, but since it happened at every transition, it was too much wait time for my taste. Aside from that, I would definitely go back for the food; and hopefully the service will be a bit better.
- Seems to have the makingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2011Seems to have the makings of a great restaurant but it seemed like there were a lot of "new restaurant" kinks that need to be addressed. Service seemed inexperienced and inattentive at times. The owner/host could have been more visible. My food was not at optimum temperature. A bit pricey given the above. I will give it another chance for sure.
- Thought for only being openOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/4/2011Thought for only being open for a few days the food and service were very good. I think that $11-$12 for deserts was a bit steep and then the one we ordered was rather unimpressive. Aside from that good new spotSpecial Features:
- New neighborhood eatery indubewahVIPDined on 2/4/2011New neighborhood eatery in Cranford. Nice, clean simple decor with high ceilings, open kitchen. Menu is eclectic with something for everyone. We shared 2 apps, 2 entrees and 1 dessert. Everything was very good, the broccoli rabe stew and black sesame crusted tuna were outstanding. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The menu has a wide varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/4/2011The menu has a wide variety of choices, but I was surprised to see no chicken dishes available for an entree.Special Features:
- A nice addition to Cranford DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/3/2011Overall a very good experience, the service was very good and the food was superb. I appreciated the added touches such as the amuse bouche, intermezzo, truffles and the muffins with the check.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2011Excellent! Go eat there! Best dining experience ever! Personalized dining! Loved it! Can't wait for the cooking classes and I will be there for brunch as well! Pairings is my favorite!Special Features:
- Pairings was fantastic! Service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2011Pairings was fantastic! Service, food and atmosphere exceptional! They will make almost all of their wonderful dishes in a vegetarian option.Special Features: