PAIRINGS palate + plate
10 Walnut Ave
Cranford, NJ 07016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
PAIRINGS palate + plate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pairingscranford.com/
- Phone: 9082764026x
- Hours of Operation:
PAIRINGS is a causal fine dining experience and BYOW.(We'll uncork and pour the first glass...)
Wednesday Night: Four Course Prix Fixe Menu 5:30 to 9:00 pm
(courses: appetizer + handmade pasta + main + dessert)
Thursday Night: Tapas Thursday + Regular Dinner Menu 5.30pm to 10:00 pm
Fri 5.30pm to 11:00 pm
Sat 5.30pm to 11.00 pm RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED
Sun 5.00pm to 9.00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carol Murphy Clyne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: PAIRINGS palate+plate offers on-site private (25 to 100) and semi-private (8 to 15) party dining.
- Private Party Contact: Carol Murphy Clyne, executive chef/owner 9082764026x
- Entertainment: Stay updated on our menu, events & cookbook launch party by following us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pairingscranford.
We also offer onsite private parties for up to 100 people, customized cooking classes & corporate team building events.
Bring Your Own Wine (BYOW)
- Special Events: Join us Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday Nights to enjoy our daily amuse-bouche, intermezzo palate cleanser and a finale of a sweet treat from the chef, complimentary.
Wednesday Night Four Course Tasting Menu http://www.pairingscranford.com/files/prix_fix_dinner_menu.pdf
- Cross Street: For GPS use 10 Walnut Ave - Corner of South Ave East and Walnut Ave.
- Public Transit: NJ Transit: Bus and Train (Raritan Valley Line) RR Station in Cranford town center across the street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: 300 space parking deck steps away, free after 6pm and all day on Sun.
To go to the parking deck, after you turn under the railroad underpass onto N Union Ave, make a quick right turn into the parking garage. Come out of the garage, the same side you drove in, and walk down the lane directly ahead of you (behind the Cranford Hotel.) We are immediately on your right at the end of the lane.
There is also lots of street parking, free after 6 pm and all day Sun.
A word from PAIRINGS palate + plate
PAIRINGS brings together globally inspired cooking, local and sustainable practices and the comfort of grandma's recipes. All of our breads and pastas, all of our stocks and sauces, all of our desserts and ice creams are made from scratch here in our Cranford kitchen. Our plates, which change based on seasonal availability, extend from gourmet to comfort. Each ingredient is strategically paired to intrigue and invigorate, to stimulate and satisfy: sweet with savory, crunchy with creamy, spicy with tangy. Just-baked breads and desserts, freshly rolled pastas, slowly braised meats, à la minute sautéed seafood and ice creams churned daily, leave no palate untingled.Continued
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Indulge the senses, embrace the seasons,share the joy.
Food celebrating togetherness.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
PAIRINGS palate + plate - Best Restaurants in Cranford ›
PAIRINGS palate + plate reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (85)romantic (72)neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (33)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (14)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Best in Cranford, NJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We regularly dine at Pairings because the food and service are the best, or close to the best, in the area. Hosts are gracious and the ambiance is very pleasing.Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantFoodFanatic5Dined on 7/12/2014I absolutely love the atmosphere at Pairings. The vibe is very "New York". It is casual but classy. The service is impeccable. The food is excellent. I dined with my husband and my parents and everyone LOVED their meal. The fig salad was the best salad I have ever tasted. The halibut and scallop dish with risotto was perfect. We each ordered a different dish and every one was delicious!!! You must make a reservation NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great last minute breakbrooksieVIPDined on 7/10/2014service and food are fabulous. have been there quite often and never disappointedSpecial Features:
- 5 Stars!FoodieDined on 7/9/2014great for a special occasion or just a night out since it is a BYOB - wonderful experience - we were treated very well and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- traveling foodietravelingfoodie2Dined on 7/9/2014Our second visit as enjoyable as the first. Delicious food beautifully presented.. The special salad this evening consisted of arugula and red lettuce, grapes, pears, candied walnuts, gorgonzola and topped with figs. The ample portion disappeared quickly. Equally enjoyable were the salmon and chicken entrees. The chocolate panacotta with roasted strawberries offered for dessert melted in your mouth. Pairings is our new favorite place to dine. I would recommend tapas night for a first visit to get a broader sampling of the restaurant's menu. Our only 'complaint' was that it got a bit noisy as the restaurant filled and on this Wednesday evening it was filled.Special Features:
- Pleasure Dining ExpierenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014It is always a relaxing pleasure to enjoy the wonderful cuisine at Pairings. Clynne and Murphy never cease to disappoint with the selections of fish, meat and delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Gem in Downtown CranfordHappyFoodieDined on 6/28/2014Pairings palate + plate is a 5 Star Gem in the heart of Downtown Cranford. The co-owners Carol and Vincent are welcoming and their team is friendly, knowledgeable and always available to make your dining experience wonderful. Great place for friends to reconnect or a romantic dinner, this restaurant never fails. Fabulous place for the Foodie!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Celebrated our third wedding anniversary. Very nice exactly what I expected . The food was incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm never disappointed.Silbs954Dined on 6/21/2014Enjoyed a special occasion meal this past Saturday. It was perfect. Table service, food and ambiance; excellent. Carol and Vin are great hosts and make us feel welcome every time.Special Features:
- Fine DiningDrJeffDined on 6/21/2014This lovely spot in Cranford is a great place for excellent (my preferred adjective to outstanding for Pairings). I have eaten here a number of times and it has not disappointed. The food is excellent and so is the service in a beautiful, comfortable setting. It is a bring your on wine restaurant that is crossing over from a moderately expensive to expensive price point. It was well worth it with most entrees in the lower $30 range, but now most are in the upper $30 range. Still worth it, but not as good a value, nor as affordable. Back to the food the fig Caesar salad I had was a very interesting and tasty combination. My seared tuna was delicious and the sorbet was as well. I look forward to my next dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful diningbernie81Dined on 6/19/2014We celebrated our 60 th wedding anniversity at Pairings we never told the management that all i can say is that everything, including the ease of parking(After 6 )was way beyond my expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemorgieDined on 6/15/2014It is a treat to have a restaurant like Pairings so close to home. We have always enjoyed the atmosphere and the service has always been excellent. The food is inspiring and delicious.Special Features:
- ChanmanDined on 6/15/2014Never had a bad meal here. From start to finish,always a great meal& service is warm& acccomadating! It is definitely my favorite place!Special Features:
- good findrestaurantaddictDined on 6/14/2014After hearing about this place for a while, finally find the time to check it out. It was not a let down, for sure. We will be going back for more.Special Features:
- Terrific Food at this BYOBCharlieSigVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food's always terrific at this great looking BYOB in downtown Cranford.Special Features:
- Attention to detail;warm atmosphereKaneezDined on 6/13/2014Great food; well designed and "paired" menu; attention to detail (we were there for a special occasion, and the menu given to us was personalized for my friend); warm welcome. Very nice decor. Comfortable dining chairs. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Manhattan pricesCiagrad92Dined on 6/13/2014$39 entree, $16 salad prices are way too high. Not worth the cost. This is Cranford, NJ not NYC! Secondly the food was good but definitely not worth the cost.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014My husband and I went there to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. When we walked in we were greeted and congratulated by the staff. We had a custom menu designed for us with a "happy 5 year anniversary" title. Little things like that just made the experience more memorable. We both loved our entrees, halibut and duck. While it is expensive, it helps that it is byob. We will def be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing AnniversaryCelebrating23Dined on 6/8/2014Celebrated our 23 year Anniversary at Pairings. The ambience, personal attention we were given, great service and the food was exquisite! Fantastic presentation and flavor. We can not wait to go back. Thank you Pairings for making our 23 year celebration even more special.Special Features:
- Exceptional AccommodationsTraybaybayyyDined on 6/6/2014We had a guest on a walker, with a broke leg and the hostess was extremely accommodating! The waiter had opened our wine for the other members of the party to relax as our father got situated. It was extremely helpful and really reassuring. The food was amazing and our waiter had excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant.KultarDined on 6/5/2014My favorite upscale restaurant in central jersey. Had tapas which are served on Thursdays, delicious & filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AS ALWAYSjayrayDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food was terrific, and the server delightful and professional. I was there on Wednesday and had the 4-course prix fixe dinner. Wonderful and a great bargain. When the server found out it was a special occasion she brought a plate with "Happy Retirement Jane" and 2 delicious brown butter chocolate chip cookies.Special Features:
- The following 843 reviews are from the PAIRINGS palate + plate reviews archive.
- Good,just not great.joseVIPDined on 6/1/2014The dinner was fine ,just not great. Our expectations were very high, because of the person that suggested we go there. We will probably give it another try and see what happens. We were there on a quiet night, so it would not have been difficult to surpass our experience. We thought the rolls were very ordinary. (We love really good bread.) A splitting charge on the salad ???? We split it ourselves. The lamb dish was excellent and met my expectations.
- What a great find!KenbobsrDined on 5/30/2014Pairings came highly recommended by family. On a whim, we said lets try it - and were really impressed with the quality of the food and service. Do not go here if you are looking for a cheap meal - there are plenty of pizza joints for that. If you like fresh quality food in a nice atmosphere, this place is for you! Don't forget to bring your favorite beverage of choice! We added this to our short list of favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodcdineDined on 5/24/2014Pairings has innovative, well-prepared food and great service. The hosts make patrons feel welcome and at home.Special Features:
- DonoVIPDined on 5/24/2014We were a party of 6 - we all loved the different 'pairings' of tastes in the dishes - the crab cake appetizer was as advertised - mostly crab, the arugula salad with a dash of figs delicious, the halibut and steak entrees enjoyed by several. Service was well organized when delivering food and clearing plates though our waitress was not attentive to pouring our wine and replenishing our water glasses - likely a fluke since we have always had a great experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all the way aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014My girlfriend lives five minutes from this restaurant. We had never been here before. After one visit it will now be one of our top choices for a nearby great restaurant. We cannot say enough good things about the food, atmosphere, service, etc. They go above and beyond to make your dining experience a truly memorable one.Special Features:
- tapas treatsfussyVIPDined on 5/22/2014we went here for tapas thursdays and the choices were very good. the service was very nice; the former "pushy" waiter who only recommended the $39 entrees was absent from our area [or from the restaurant]. we also were seated in a quieter section of the dining room which made for lovely conversation with our friends. cushions were available for the seats which, though handsome and modern, are very uncomfortable for those of us with "old' backs.Special Features:
- brooksieVIPDined on 5/22/2014Have been to pairings many times. Not sure why but the food was not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/21/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Pairings - again. It's our go-to place for special occasions. The food and the service are always excellent.Special Features:
- A must place to eat8enoughVIPDined on 5/18/2014This was one of the best dining experiences we have had. The food was excellent as was the service. Friendly knowledgeable waiter who always asked if we were finished before taking any plates. The menu was varied to all tastes.Special Features:
- Always outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/11/2014Have been here a number of times and it is consistently outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Doesn't Get Better Than This!dinealotVIPDined on 5/11/2014We have dined here many times and it is consistently terrific and always improving. when we are looking for a local restaurant for a special occasion we like to choose Pairings. The owners lend a special charm, always welcoming, always striving to make sure your dining experience is the best it can be. This restaurant, in addition to being about the food is about hospitality, which is really what distinguishes it from any where else in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunchjoeflo65VIPDined on 5/11/2014The brunch you served may be the best one our family ever enjoyed! Certainly the best one in the last several years. Loved everything about it, from the cornmeal and bacon waffles with the bourbon infused syrup to the pasta bolognese and the strip steak eggs Benedict! Hope you decide to keep on doing brunches in the future!Special Features:
- Horrible food !MarmarVIPDined on 5/10/2014Food was horrible, cold ,blend and tasteless , service was poor , below average ! What a waste if money and time !
- wonderful mealBandMdineoutDined on 5/10/2014Food was fabulous, fresh, and beautifully presented. We were warmly welcomed and ushered to our table promptly. Service was attentive. Noise level is high. A little pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Always satisfiesKultarDined on 5/10/2014'Pairings 'is by far our favorite local restaurant. Whenever we have a special family occasion we choose to celebrate at 'Pairings' and have never been disappointed.The food is delicious and beautifully presented, sevice efficient and friendly and the ambiance pleasant. The owners are always in attendance which indicates a well run establishment. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 years strongJWDeweyDined on 5/9/2014I hadn't eaten at Pairings in a few years and the evening made me wonder why not? Excellent food!!Special Features:
- dining excellence!SPFoodieDined on 5/9/2014Have been at Pairings before and always excellent food, service and dining atmosphere. The new Angus steak dish was awesome. We will be back and highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected gem, worth a tripOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2014We happened on this restaurant by accident one day when "stranded" in Cranford, and were we fortunate!! Outstanding food- careful attention to high quality fresh ingredients, interesting preparations, appealing presentation, all in a calming, lovely environment. It was an exceptional meal. Worth a drive from anywhere in NJ. Our only regret was that they were not open for lunch the next day before we had to leave. Highly recommended. we will be back.Special Features: