Ristorante Da Mario
14441 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Ristorante Da Mario
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ristorantedamario.com/
- Phone: 4087411518
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Sandro Costanza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music with Pasquale Esposito, first Thursday of the month. Live jazz music on Saturdays
A word from Ristorante Da Mario
Authentic Southern Italian Restaurant, Chef owners Sandro and Mario provide excellent food and ambiance old world style.Very dedicated to details , prompt service is a complement to outstanding food and wines. We have live music on Saturdays and various events throughout the year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ristorante Da Mario - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
Ristorante Da Mario reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)romantic (18)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (14)great for outdoor dining (12)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (9)good for groups (8)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good food but loud live musicpat1000Dined on 6/20/2013We went early (6 PM) for a quiet dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Right after we arrived a man started to play an electric guitar very loudly -- not nice Italian songs but old ones from the 70's. There were only 3 other customers in the restaurant. We had already ordered, so we ate as fast as we could and left without ordering any more food or drinks. The food is good, but live music at 6 PM is not what one would expect. I doubt if we will return.Special Features:
- Excellent homemade pasta...AndyDined on 6/15/2013I've never gone wrong here... if you're in the mood for pasta and looking for dinner in Saratoga, try this place. Much more reasonably priced than other restaurants in Saratoga... The gnocchi is a particular favorite... good wine selection too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Northern Italian food!WithGreekFriendsDined on 6/8/2013Bake their own bread Outstanding wait staff Ribeye that can rival steakhouse Lasagne! Lasagne! Lasagne! Superb !!! Boned Cornish game hen is a real treat (only occasionally served) Music on Thursday Nights Plenty of parking - a real neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I gave Da Mario a "Good" overallTLWSaratogaVIPDined on 5/26/2013I gave Da Mario a "Good" overall rating even though I sent back my entrée . The dish was advertised as 'pork medallions' and, in reality, it was 1/4" slices of pork tenderloin that were so dry they weren't edible. My husband's veal entrée was better so I shared his meal.
- Great Italian Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2013We loved the very friendly staff and authentic italian food at this local Saratoga restaurant. They had a wide variety of pasta and specials and cater to kids. Will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is bad ...SaratoganDined on 4/27/2013Food was good but our Server took the order and disappeared - saw him chatting at other tables. Another junior waiter saw us trying to flag our waiter and helped us. Fire the senior guy and promote the junior waitress ...
- Services were excellent. FoodWendyDined on 4/17/2013Services were excellent. Food quality was consistent and delicious. There's a charge of $3 for an extra basket of bread.Special Features:
- Da Mario is "Dalicious!"DonutDined on 4/16/2013Food was excellent! The house made gnocchi were perfection....just like my Nonni made! Our waiter was great recommending a dish off the menu for my husband who could not make up his mind between two dishes--seafood cannelloni ...delicious as well. We travelled from San Mateo to this gem of a restaurant and we will come back again and again..it is worth it!Special Features:
- The reason for the 3 starluv2eatDined on 4/12/2013The reason for the 3 star food rating is that I have been to Ristorante Da Mario twice and I had the ravoli di funghi each time. I love mushrooms and each time was hoping for a more intense mushroom flavor. The pasta was a bit "sturdy". I liked the dish but felt the mushroom flavor needed to be intensified. My husband and I shared the mussels for a first course and they were excellent. The mussels were large and tasty. The broth was very well seasoned, although maybe just a touch salty…we even asked our server to tell us what was in it. We cook mussels often, using various methods and seasoning, and this one was, in our opinion, terrific. We asked for extra bread to sop up every last drop of sauce.Special Features:
- Go with a selection of appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013Go with a selection of appetizers and share a pasta dish. Excellent!Special Features:
- this was our third time inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/7/2013this was our third time in to this restaurant, and the food never fails to exceed our expectations. however, service was a bit lacking on this particular occasion...waters weren't refilled, we waited quite a while for drinks, and to order, and for the bill. also slightly irritated that we were charged for two wine corkages when we also bought two bottles, but i guess that preferential with every restaurant. our server was fun, food was great, and we will likely return...Special Features:
- Great, delicious food. HaveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2013Great, delicious food. Have been 3 times and highly recommend this restaurant. Service is warm and friendly. We drive up to Saratoga from Morgan Hill because we like the people and food so much! Give it a try-you'll be back-guaranteed!Special Features:
- Four of us enjoyed our dinnersSFvisitorVIPDined on 4/6/2013Four of us enjoyed our dinners at Ristotante Da Mario. Service was efficient and well timed. The wait staff were attentive and very congenial. i had dined there before and wanted to introduce it to my family, I think they will return as will I.Special Features:
- Great entree, but not great overallMarkRVIPDined on 4/3/2013This is a tough review to write, because my main entree (veal with lemon sauce and capers) was excellent. What brought my overall rating down was the fact that the caesar salad was just so so, the chocolate fondant cake was just so so, and the service was rather poor. Plus, my wife had pasta with pork spare ribs, and the ribs were so fatty, there was hardly any meat on them. The live music was nice, but taking into account the entire package, I cannot recommend Ristorante Da Mario.
- Un posto speciale nel Saratoga,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/3/2013Un posto speciale nel Saratoga, non Los Gatos. IT is a special place in Saratoga, not Los Gatos.Special Features:
- Enjoyed very much. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2013Enjoyed very much. Service Great. Staff friendly and courteous. Food excellent. dessert excellent too. Only complaint wine list uninspiring and high price for glass.Special Features:
- Italian food out of the ordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013The appetizer with shrimp, prawns and avocado was different and very good. Staff was attentive and service was prompt.Special Features:
- Our waiter was informativeSuzanneDined on 3/30/2013Our waiter was informative and had a great personality. You didn't feel rushed. Would definitely return for another fine meal.Special Features:
- This never disappoints.CabogalVIPDined on 3/29/2013We're so fortunate to have such a good restaurant close to home. The menu has lots of variety and the food is always well prepared and nicely served. The broccolini is especially delicious. There were four of us, all ordering different things, and we thoroughly enjoyed each of our meals.Special Features:
- Food ok but not worth goingerniezapDined on 3/27/2013Food ok but not worth going back. We order an appetizer, came out on a big plate but no appetizer plates were given to usSpecial Features:
- We were disappointed. WeRocky35VIPDined on 3/26/2013We were disappointed. We haven't been back since we moved from Saratoga. The food wasn't as good as we remembered, it was very noisy and overpriced. On the positive side, the Primavera Salad and the fish of the day, petrale sole, were very good. However,the Affettati e Olive consisted of 2 thin skices of salami, and one thin slice of each of turkey, mortadella and proscutto accompanied by black and green olives. Not much to justify a $13 price. Further,the black olives were tasteless. The Spaghetti del Maestro sauce was tasty but the pasta was overcooked, not al dente as I prefer. The restaurant was almost empty but the ambient noise was quite uncomfortably loud. As the restaurant filled we had to yell at each other to be hear
- This restaurant overbookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/24/2013This restaurant overbooked and was still taking walk-ins. We showed up on time for a 7pm reservation. After waiting 5-10 minutes to be acknowledged at the hostess desk, instead of being apologetic for having to wait another 15-20 mins for a table, the host was extremely rude. We left immediately after this, and will never reserve here again.
- Make sure you are adequately staffeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013we had a groupon, and I think we weren't the only ones! Our greeting was poor, our table was good, took 15 minutes to get our wine. once the waiter came, He did not offer specials, so I had to ask! He was way too busy. the cesear salad was yummy, the eggplant appetizer was yummy. the ravioli was smothered in thick cream sauce, and my husbands vodka penne pasta w/salmon was mediocore, not much flavor. wine by the glass was real good. Will try again when not so busy.
- Awesome Italian food, itsOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/22/2013Awesome Italian food, its great for whole family or romantic date! The food itself is fantastic.Special Features:
- Only had one waiter for entireOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/18/2013Only had one waiter for entire restaurant. Was a Monday night. Main courses were very good. Soup (Minnestrone) was mediocre. Not very tasty. Table bread and olive oil and balsamic were very good. Dessert was very unique. Had Lemon sorbet and it was service in a carved out frozen lemon.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Excellent food and service. Can't wait to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was helpful to make onlineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2013It was helpful to make online reservation for my family to dine at the time of our choice 6:45pm.Friday evening.Special Features:
- I GO FOR THE GNOCCI!EmpressLauraDined on 3/14/2013Whenever I start thinking of gnocci, my mouth starts watering and until I get the Gnocci with the Gorgonzola sauce, I can think of nothing else!! I hear the mushroom raviolis are good.....maybe one day, if I can just get over the gnocciSpecial Features:
- The Pasta is really homemade!KnowsHowtoTravelVIPDined on 3/14/2013Ristorante Da Mario's pastas are homemade. I had the gorgonzola gnocchi and it was as good as when I had this classic dish in Venice. My husband had the lasagna and it was the classic preparation - hearty, flavorful, everything you look for in a lasagna. We want to come back to try more of the pastas.Special Features:
- We have been here severalClydesdaleDined on 3/12/2013We have been here several times, and always enjoy it. Servers do a good job of explaining options. All 3 of us thought our dishes were VERY good. Will definitely come back. Kid-friendly here is for kids old enough to sit quietly at a table; not for screaming infants.Special Features:
- Although not well-versed inMollyDined on 3/9/2013Although not well-versed in Italian cuisine, we enjoyed the meal here tremendously. Great server with personality, attentive assistants, yummy chewy bread. Penne Lorenzo and pork chop special tasty - especially the green beans. I'd visit again.
- We enjoyed the live musiclglighthouseDined on 3/7/2013We enjoyed the live music and a lovely night out. Gluten free pasta was excellent.
- Love the location and livePan2sunDined on 3/7/2013Love the location and live music. The food is good tooSpecial Features:
- - services was terrible, theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013- services was terrible, the waiter was not patience, rush to order, not checking anything, arrogant! Really really arrogant!!! Don't feel being treated fairly. - food was good, but not excellent, definitely not worth the price!
- Not a neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013Restaurant very bright for an Italian place. Tables super close. Weird LOUD birthday sound played over speakers. Even though we had reservations we stood up front several minutes before anyone even acknowledged us. The food was pretty good, but I don't think I will be going back since I didn't care for the atmosphere or service.Special Features:
- We love the staff, the ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013We love the staff, the ambiance, and the food at Ristorante Da Mario. The same wait staff is on hand to greet us warmly every time. And the food is fantastic, especially the avocado appetizer and the cannelloni.Special Features:
- Had a great time at this restaurantMD1111VIPDined on 3/1/2013Had a great time at this restaurant. It was a nice surprise and we really found ourselves enjoying the staff, the food, and the dessert. My veal was delicious and very tender. The canneloni was crispy on the outside and the filling was just perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent food and very helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013Excellent food and very helpful staff, made for a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Tasty and pretty good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2013Tasty and pretty good food, the selections were somewhat unusual in their ingredients or combinations. In most cases the choices made for a nice twist on a standard Italian menu. The spinach salad with truffle oil was extremely flavorful, and the daily soup, cream of broccoli (made vegan with potato puree instead of cream), was different and delicious. The wine list was small, but with a nice mix of Italian selections and then local, Santa Cruz Mountain area wines. The only miss was one particular waiter who was not very interested in giving advice to first-timers like us, seemed unfamiliar with the wine list, and reluctant to replace a water glass until he could personally verify a foreign object in it. The other staff were very personableSpecial Features:
- STABBED IN THE HEART!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/17/2013We used to LOVE this place. Who knows if we will ever go again. We have been regulars ever since they opened and even more so the last 2 months because of our kitchen remodel. Made an 8:45 dinner reservation on Open Table after a full weekend of kid duties. They were wide open. We walked in. A tall lean man greeted us in the most rudely manner I have ever experienced. He has a loud voice to begin with, but he raised his voice even louder expressing that we had to hurry up and get our order in cause the kitchen was closing in 5 minutes. He sat us down and threw menus in front of us. It was very awkward. We could tell he didn't want us there. He made us feel awful and we were so embarrassed, so we left!