Margaret Kuo's - Wayne
175 East Lancaster Ave.
Wayne, PA 19087Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
Margaret Kuo's - Wayne
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.margaretkuos.com/
- Phone: 6106887200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Margaret Kuo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Margaret Kuo's offers catering service for any number of guests. Please call 610-688-7200 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Margaret Kuo's offers 2 well appointed private rooms for parties from 6 to 30 guests. No room charge. A la Carte or Prix Fixe menus available. Minimums apply.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Kuo 6106887200
- Entertainment: Special occasions only. Chinese New Year, New Year's Eve, Karaoke
A word from Margaret Kuo's - Wayne
Since 1974, Margaret Kuo's is Philadelphia's original "New Menu" Chinese restaurant serving Madame Kuo's award-winning Northern Chinese cuisine. The ambiance is culturally evocative yet comfortably inviting. For true Japanese ambiance & a Nipponese menu, please visit the Akari Room Upstairs at Margaret Kuo's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Margaret Kuo's - Wayne reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (12)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (7)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- The food was not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/11/2011The food was not what I expected considering the prices they charge. One appetizer was actually bad. Spicy dumplings had a strange flavor (not spicy) and was covered in raw garlic. The braised duck entree was good but could have used more greens.
- There were four of us andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2011There were four of us and even though we were late (we called ahead) we were instantly accommodated. The waitress Emily was terrific and helpful. The whole steamed see bass was outstanding!Special Features:
- Kuo's good food but SLOW foodDadNChargeVIPDined on 10/15/2011Went here for a special birthday dinner. Service was terrible and very slow. Appetizers came out slow, drinks came out slow, food was very slow. When we got the food it was pretty delicious. Crispy Chicken was my favorite. A little pricey given that they don't give you anything with an entree except white or brown rice. It was a good thing we didn't order appetizers because everyone that did were eating their entrees while we were paying the check. I would not dine in again and would rather take out from there.
- We got there and they couldn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2011We got there and they couldn't find our reservation. It was empty but they sat us at a table next to the kitchen where about 7 of their staff stood watching us the whole time. Very over priced for food that had no flavor.
- Honestly, we expected betterElizabethVIPDined on 9/23/2011Honestly, we expected better food (maybe we ordered the wrong things though). To me, it tasted just average, and too much salt. The chicken curry puffs were not great - the "puffs" were not light (they were thicker and chewy) and the curry inside was really weak. Service was just OK - nothing special. We like the one in Malvern better.
- My family has been to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/17/2011My family has been to this restaurant before and had a great experience. However,this time the service was extremely poor. The Peking duck we ordered was prepared by a staff person and left sitting for 15 to 20 minutes before someone returned to prepare the pancakes. The food was cold and sent back. Although there was an offer to prepare another one which would have been an additional 20 minutes we declined. They should have brought some appetizers or at least offered dessert. The returned dish was also on our bill until it was brought to someone's attention.
- New menu is poor. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/17/2011New menu is poor. Food was not good. One dish inedible.
- Not so hot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/16/2011My wife saw Margaret at the King of Prussia Mall and had to go to her restaurant after tasting her Kung Pao chicken and spring rolls. I had been there before with a client, and although the food was good, it was not memorable. If you're going to hold yourself out as high end restuarant and charge me a premium price then everything should be close to excellent. If you do that the preimum doesn't bother me. At Margaret Kuo the ambiance is very nice, the food was very tasty, the service was good, but NOTHING came out hot. I don't mean spicey, I mean nothing was much warmer than room temperature. For me at least, this ruins what could otherwise have been a great dinner. The food at my local Chinese restuarant always comes out hot!
- The service was very slow.Kath1VIPDined on 8/28/2011The service was very slow. It took 2 hours for the two of us to eat and we ordered 1 appetizer and dinner.Special Features:
- Great place! The decor isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2011Great place! The decor is unique and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Not a good experience andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/3/2011Not a good experience and food nothing to write home about. Very disappointing.
- One of our favorite spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2011Perfect spot for an informal dinner with two out-of-town adult children. At 6 pm on a Friday evening it was still quiet enough that we could enjoy conversation without shouting (not always the case in crowded Wayne restaurants). Appetizers and entrees, especially steamed pork buns and Peking duck, lent themselves well to sharing. Crispy chicken breast is always a favorite with me--just spicy enough. Sauces are sometimes too thick (they could lighten up on the cornstarch, I think), for instance with imperial shrimp. Kung pao frogs legs was a bit disappointing: why do they cut the legs up into tiny (bony) pieces? Service was prompt and attentive, although our waitperson seemed enough of a novice to reach across us as she changed plates.Special Features:
- Very fresh Chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/9/2011Excellent sauces in the the Chinese restaurant-very fresh seafood. can't wait to try with a larger group to taste more dishes.Special Features:
- We love to dine at Kuo's resturant'OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2011We love to dine at Kuo's resturant's, and the Dargon's Lair is especially beautiful. The food, service and ambience are exceptional.Special Features:
- Waiter kept hovering overJudysDined on 6/18/2011Waiter kept hovering over us the first part of our meal. Then the place got busy and we couldn't find him after that. Food was good but not great.
- --The menu had the usual American/cjoeCVIPDined on 6/17/2011--The menu had the usual American/chinese dishes but the Sechuan disches were great...as good as Yang Ming I would say...I have aten in Chinatowns all over the US and the tripe with soft noodles is comparable, the sezchua fish is great..the pork shoulder was succulent as well as the mustard greens with anchovies.. the spring rolls were good but at 2.50 each! come on.. I would dine there again...Special Features:
- Peking duck was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/10/2011Peking duck was outstanding, as usual. Also, everyone enjoyed the seafood & spinach dumplings.Special Features:
- very disappointed...serviceLovethefunoffoodVIPDined on 5/22/2011very disappointed...service was non-existent. Food was just ok. Won't hurry back.
- A terrific restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2011A terrific restaurant with excellent food, particularly the Peking duck. Several years ago we had the two private rooms reserved for a 50th wedding anniversary party. Everyone raved about the food. We eat there very often and have not been disappointed ever.Special Features:
- This was our third visit backTrishaVIPDined on 5/14/2011This was our third visit back to the Dragon's Lair. We have enjoyed our experience and meal each time! They do get crowded - we had a later reservation (8 pm) and still had to wait about 20 minutes for our table. Our meal and the service made the wait well worth it, however!Special Features:
- disappointing experience...secondStanleymanlyVIPDined on 5/14/2011disappointing experience...second time in last three visits that we drew a waiter who seemed inexperienced, had trouble communicating, and contributed to a stressful evening rather than a pleasant one.my appetizer arrived 27 minutes after my grand-daughter's soup, a mediocre batch of steamed chicken dumplings with thick, rubbery shells. the waiter mumbled something about the kitchen being backed up. it was villanova graduation day and the restuarant was full, but they should have anticipated that. a sullen chef carved the peking duck tableside and then a comic ballet began of plates shuffled, pancakes filled, etc.my salmon was thinly sliced, overcooked and floating on a pool of bad teriyaki sauce.Special Features:
- Had the "Best of Philly" SpringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2011Had the "Best of Philly" Spring Rolls, Chicken Dumplings, Imperial Shrimp and General Tso's Chicken and all were superb. Service was attentive but subtle. Although we hadn't told them ahead of time, our waiter realized it was a birthday celebration and for dessert brought out a chocolate cake with a candle. Overall a wonderful dinner out that I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Went there for mother's dayja19460Dined on 5/8/2011Went there for mother's day with the family. It was terrific.Special Features:
- Excellent food, poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2011Excellent food, poor service. Had to send out a search party for our cocktails. We were not offered tea or coffee after our meal, just the check. We did have a late reservation (9:30 PM). Maybe the staff was already asleep.
- great portion sizes and aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/22/2011great portion sizes and a fantastic menu with many optionsSpecial Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2011Above average food, good ambiance, good service. Overall a very good place for an evening with friends, family and even for a date.Special Features:
- The sushi was good, the ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2011The sushi was good, the Chinese food acceptable, tho the moo shu pancakes were rubbery, but the service was very bad! 3 hours for dinner! We were looking forward to a leisurely dinner, but that was ridiculous. We waited 10 minutes for any help after we were seated, then they asked us if we were ready to order our entrees, before we had ordered wine or cocktails. We spent the rest of the evening feeling invisible, begging for service from anyone who walked by. Huge wait between courses. Topped off by a Peking duck carving for the table next door that was awkward for my daughter. The server was so close he forced her to have to lean sideways until the carving ceremony was complete. Would never return. Honestly, terrible, terrible service.
- The meal was as expected,PleasedVIPDined on 4/3/2011The meal was as expected, excellent. Unfortunately the diners surrounding us made the experience less pleasurable, not the fault of the staff of the restaurant. The ambiance promotes harmony and enjoyment.Special Features:
- Menus more limited than itOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/25/2011Menus more limited than it was before and the food, while good, is not up to the old standard.
- The food was fine,but youOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2011The food was fine,but you expect it to be given the prices.The service was slow and inattentive.The waiter gave the impression he was bored and indifferent I thought think I would go back or recommend it to others when there are so many other dining options in the area.
- Wonderful Valentines Day!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2011Food was excellent. Service was quick and professional. Our water glasses were always filled. Overall excellent Valentines Day experience! We're looking forward to returning and checking out the upstairs Sushi Bar!Special Features:
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/22/2011Good Chinese food. Was not oversalted. First waiter was too impatient. He asked for our order about 1 minute after we sat down. Then came back twice more within 5 minutes. Fortunately another waiter took over without our asking. Appetizer of steamed pork buns was tasteless. The ribs appetizer was excellent. The sea bass entree was excellent. The shrimp entree was too spicey with too few vegetables. Overall, menue had too many items marked spicey. The dining room is quite pretty.
- My boyfriend and I ate atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2010My boyfriend and I ate at Margaret Kuos several times before. However when we were last there on New Years eve it was not such a great experience. The service was poor, the food was not up to par and we were seated in a banquet room with only one other family. I had made a reservation in advance and felt that for a special night this was not what we have known to expect.
- This was the third time wegritmuncherDined on 12/31/2010This was the third time we came to this restaurant on New Year's Eve but this was our worst experience. The food was however outstanding so we'll be back next year. The trouble started with 'checking in'. The was only 1 host who had trouble coping with the crowd; they really should have had 2 for that night. So we had to wait longer than usual for our reserved table. We ordered 3 main dishes but were only given 2 (after a very long wait). When the third one did not arrive by the time we finished eating we decided to cancel it. We were full anyway so it did not really matter and the dish was not listed on the invoice. We hope for a better experience next year!Special Features:
- It was incredibly disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/12/2010It was incredibly disappointing. It was my birthday and I thought it would be a fabulous experience. It was not. Our service was abominable. The food was good but once the peking duck that we waited a long time for was carved by the chef at the table, we had to wait ten minutes for plates. By then the duck was cold and still needed to be placed into the wrappers. We waited for everything, even when we tried to locate our missing waiter. VERY Disappointing.
- A Nice Place for Grown Ups, FamilyNoahWebsterDined on 12/11/2010This is one of my favorite restaurants for a pleasant night out in the suburbs. The food is excellent without being precious. The noise level and ambiance is just right for someone who dislikes noise and seens.
- always good Peking Duck, whichcrphillyVIPDined on 10/23/2010always good Peking Duck, which is large enough for two. Never had anything else, so I can't say what other dishes are like. People next to us sampled several dish's and said they were all good.
- This is one of our favoriteLASBerwynVIPDined on 10/8/2010This is one of our favorite restaurants when we want a relaxed evening out. The service is a little slow at times, which either makes you relax more, or if it is when you are trying to get your check to get out, can be quite annoying (this is what happened to us tonight). Overall, it won't stop us from going back, we just don't frequent it as much as some of our other favorites.Special Features:
- This is a wonderful restaurant.sdugaryDined on 9/2/2010This is a wonderful restaurant. We have dined here for dinner in the past. This was my first time at the restaurant for lunch. Everyone in my party throughly enjoyed the meal and all promised to come back again and again!
- Been there before w much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2010Been there before w much better experience. This time the service was way too slow and the food just ok.