742 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.neumanali.com/
- Phone: 5105839744
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Julie Romic Mckillop
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant available for private parties. Please contact us for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Julie McKillop 5107503921
A word from Neumanali
Welcome to our beautifully restored Victorian with a contemporary twist. Neumanali opened six years ago and quickly became a neighborhood favorite. The menu features both fresh and seasonal entrees in addition to a selection of fun and unusual small plates. Perennial favorites are the pan-seared day boat scallops and "made to order" cioppino. The wine list is a bit eclectic and features smaller, more difficult to find winery selections. Lush garden dining is available in the summer and fall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Neumanali - Best Restaurants in Hayward ›
Neumanali reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (14)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (11)notable wine list (10)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A Delightful EveningKellVIPDined on 11/27/2013Easy parking, quiet street, delightful old Victorian, huge portions of very good food, excellent service in a romantic, stress free restaurant! What is not to love?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have tried it sooner!MasterFoolDined on 11/15/2013We've lived in downtown Hayward for 4 years now, and always said we wanted to try Neumanali . . . but we never got around to it. We should have done so sooner. The restaurant was great. When we were there (early on a Friday night) the place was nearly empty (only 2 other tables), so it was very quiet. The server was very attentive, and gladly made recommendations or discussed dishes with us. I had the ribeye, and my wife had the prosciutto wrapped prawns. Both were very good. The wine list was extensive (try the Meritage!), and had a selection for whatever you were eating. Don't make the mistake I did. TRY THIS RESTAURANT! You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodyummyfoodDined on 11/12/2013Food was great here. Ordered the lamb, it was delicious. Wanted to try the trout but unfortunately they were out of it. There were some loud diners that sat next to us but once they left the restaurant was nice and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerWesClarkVIPDined on 11/1/2013I've lived in Castro Valley for fifteen years, but never had heard of this place in Hayward. The restaurant is like a converted mansion, with parking in the back. It has a nice feel, and very quiet neighborhood. Very understated. There was one waiter for the whole room, so service was a little slow, but we weren't in a hurry, so it was okay. The food was good, if a little heavy on the salt. I started with the clams, which were excellent, then the salmon, which was okay. We had two glasses of wine, which brought our tab for three up to about $150. Due to the cost, I'm not sure if we are going back soon.Special Features:
- Wow! Reviews of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/25/2013Wow! Reviews of this place were dead on. Food was fabulous yet unpretentious, service was attentive but not bothersome, and the ambiance was relaxed and thoughtful. Will be going again.Special Features:
- Unexpected gem in Hayward!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2013The food was great. My wife and I had a great time. My wife had a seafood stew, I had a rib-eye. Both were great. It was relatively quiet on a later-ish (730pm) Friday night. The waiter (apparently the only one) was great, but it seemed like he had too many tables, so the service was a bit slow. We weren't in a hurry, so it didn't matter. A shocker for Hayward? We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I never have had a bad biteCarolVIPDined on 8/31/2013I never have had a bad bite there. The food is great and the service spot on.Special Features:
- Enjoyed every minute! service/food/GoodVIPDined on 5/30/2013Enjoyed every minute! service/food/wine.... tres bonSpecial Features:
- First time but it won't be our lastpogpVIPDined on 5/25/2013Our first time dining at Neumanali. Very relaxed atmosphere set in downtown Hayward. Excellent service. Charming artistic decor. Appetizer of wild mushrooms on brochette was nicely prepared. My friend had the rack of lamb which was prepared perfectly. I had the bay scallops. These were served on a bed of sweet potato and cooked to perfection. Portions are ample and you will leave feeling very satisfied. We look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I used to come here very oftenhappyDined on 5/9/2013I used to come here very often , but the most recent visit let me have a second thoughts. I like the female chef very much, but unfortunately the day that I visited the restaurant was not her, there was anotehr chef. I have to say the food is terrible, it's not called gourmet food, you will feel the chef just mix the source and food. I asked for medimum rare steak, but it's came with well done.
- Always a good dinner betSallyDinesDined on 5/2/2013Neumanali is the best California/American cuisine restaurant in Hayward, by far. Dining is casual but food is quite wonderful. Creative and not over complicated. A good wine list and the waitstaff usually have good recommendations for wine. The wine bar is comfortable and appetizers or dinner can comfortably eaten alone without feeling so much like you are eating alone. Close to Hayward City Hall and to BART.Special Features:
- My husband and I enjoyed ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2013My husband and I enjoyed ourselves completely. It's nice to know we have a fine dining restaurant right in our neighborhood. The only complaint I have is that they will be closed on mother's day.I would have loved to go there rather than driving all the way to the city.Special Features:
- Unique and romantic settingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013Unique and romantic setting in a Victorian house. The food is excellent and the service is professional and courteous. My husband and I love Neumanali's for special date nights and we will keep coming back.Special Features:
- A charming evening--from theOntheroadVIPDined on 2/9/2013A charming evening--from the moment we walked into the lovely setting, and each of our dishes pleased us. We enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Food generally very good. NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2013Food generally very good. Nice selection... ! Should have a dedicated waiter. Hello ANY ONE LISTENING ?? This additional staff is definitely needed to move things along a bit faster. Will eat there again.Special Features:
- Food is quite good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/29/2012Food is quite good, but the atmosphere is dreary. Dim lighting and no attempt at decor are negatives. When one dines in a Victorian setting, you expect to walk up the stairs to the main level of the home. Here, that level is unavailable, and you dine on the ground floor.There is no background music or decor to look at. Come here for food then wham bang finish and get out which is OK but for one of the more expensive places in Hayward, there should be more of an attempt at atmosphere.
- WonderfulKenDDined on 12/22/2012We celebrated my wife's birthday here for 15 the other night and Abram made it a wonderful evening for us. We had great service, the food was wonderful as always. Food is on the Frenchside with classic California touches- double cut pork chop, Lamb chops, Bay scallops, half chicken etc but all is done very well and cooked and presented with care. Abram is a wonderful host and is very attentive. Neumanali is a small place so be sure to make a reservation for weekends.Special Features:
- Hayward haut-cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/18/2012Hayward has a great litlle secret here. This place is Excellent. Good menu, great preparation, excellent service, good location & parking.Special Features:
- Small, quaint and quiet, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/30/2012Small, quaint and quiet, this place is a gem. The menu is wonderful with European portions of great tasting, quality food. They sport an acceptable wine list as well.Special Features:
- Evening in the East BayfrozentoastVIPDined on 11/10/2012We are from San Francisco and had an evening to spend around Hayward after dropping of our kids at a show. We decided to have a nice dinner and chose this place. Very intimate quiet setting although the service was slow. To be fair there was exactly one person hosting, waiting tables, bussing on a Friday night! The food was surprisingly good. We did have fairly simple fair like clams, ribeye on scalloped potatoes, whole snapper but the portions were generous (compared with the city) and flavors delicious. We skipped dessert so cannot comment. The wine list is reasonably priced and the pinot noir we had by the glass very drinkable.Special Features:
- Restaurant was very hard toDiningDivaDined on 10/24/2012Restaurant was very hard to find. They need better signage. Love the ambiance and environment of the restaurant. Food and wine list was great!Special Features:
- Very cozy atmosphere, fabulousPaquitaDined on 10/12/2012Very cozy atmosphere, fabulous food, excellent service! A birthday to remember!Special Features:
- We came here for a 60th birthdaybrittygirlDined on 10/5/2012We came here for a 60th birthday celebration for a very close friend. I've been here at least 8 times over the years, the food is consistently very good. It was a quiet night, which was perfect. We'll be back again; it is a perfect midway point to meet when we are coming from Palo Alto and others live in the east bay.Special Features:
- The food was very good, wellOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2012The food was very good, well seasoned and nice presentation. My husband had the ribeye steak and I had the cioppino. Large portion size. Food was served timely. The waiter was very responsive and pleasant. It was a little noisy and the tables were a little too close together. This may have been because they had a big party that evening which took up most of the table spaces. Overall- great experience. More lighting (larger candles on tables) would also be helpful. Nice jazz music.Special Features:
- Have been going for years.TheDon611Dined on 9/4/2012Have been going for years. The food is terrific and the service is outstanding!!Special Features:
- For the price, I expect excellentMokearneyVIPDined on 8/25/2012For the price, I expect excellent tasting food and impeccable service. While I really try to give Neumanali as much business as I can, I don't think the food or service is as exceptional; certainly not enough to warrant the premium prices. Our family and friends have dined at Neumanali for years so I'm very saddened to say that I will likely not coordinate another big dinner there. Too much of a trek from Palo Alto to Hayward to eat mediocre food.Special Features:
- We had a great meal here-OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012We had a great meal here- food was great and portion size was reasonable. This restaurant is in a cute Victorian downtown. Service was professional and courteous.Special Features:
- Go for the history, not the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2012Over priced with tiny portions. I ordered the 'rack of lamb'. It was over spiced and cut into four tiny lamb lollipops that I could have consumed in a single bite. The lamb was over cooked, likely because it was cut so thin that the 'chef' couldn't get it off the heat fast enough. On the side was four thin potato sliced that were under cooked and tasteless. The lamb was priced at $30. My wife had the double cut pork chop. It was much better than the lamb, even though it was over cooked and dry. My wife could eat only about half of it because it was tough to swallow.
- Good choice when in HaywardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2012One of the nicest places I've eaten in Hayward. Very good for special occasion. The setting in an old Victorian took me to an overlooked neighborhood. Excellent proximity to BART making it an easy place to meet. Very accommodating by letting my dog tie up in the patio and provided water too.Special Features:
- Have loved Neumanali for years.tinkDined on 5/29/2012Have loved Neumanali for years. The food on this visit was not up to its usual standard. Good, but not very good. Otherwise, as great as ever.Special Features:
- Hidden Hayward GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2012Hidden gem. Do not expect a quick meal here. This is a restaurant you go to for relaxed European style dining experience. Food was exceptional. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- This our third visit thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2012This our third visit this time at the behest of friends who are fans of Neumanali's and again we were underwhelmed. The trout was overcooked and tasteless. The scallops were okay but not particularly exciting. The salads were quite good. The never changing menu is tired and very limited. The food presentation and service could be improved. The dining room is quite pleasant.
- Service was good, but withsbauerVIPDined on 5/12/2012Service was good, but with only one waiter working the night we were there - a weekend - it was quite slow.Special Features:
- It's a lovely neighborhoodfarpointdiveVIPDined on 3/22/2012It's a lovely neighborhood gem. Unfortunately, they have a bar and a clientele who are somewhat loud, making fine dining more difficult. The menu is fabulous. Execution is more local than truly fit for foodies. A nice alternative, close to home.Special Features:
- Usually love NeumanaliMokearneyVIPDined on 2/1/2012Service was impeccable, as usual. Ambience, too. My pork was a bit overcooked. Sides of apple and something else were fine, but dish was presented unappealingly. Everything was brownish. My friend's filet mignon looked perfect, red in center. Braised greens perfectly cooked. Brussels sprouts and day boat scallops were delicious. will be back, as I've usually not been disappointed at Neumanali.Special Features:
- Seemed to be over priced.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2011Seemed to be over priced. Although the food and service was good it wasn't worth the $110 + tipped that was without wine! The wine list was not that inclusive and was pricy so if we added wine the bill would have pushed $175 or more. Not worth it.
- The venue is an old VictorianOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/22/2011The venue is an old Victorian but the restaurant is modern in an inviting and warm manner. The menu is what I describe as California noveau with leaning towards the carnivorous palate as opposed to pasta or seafood. Wines by the glass are well chosen and reasonably priced. My chopped salad greens salad tasted fresh and crisp and was pleasantly dressed. Not usually a meat eater I chose well with the petite filet nestled on a bed of pasta alfredo, which was nicely complimented by a glass of cab.... My spouse was pleased with his citrus salad and small plate of wrapped prawns also nicely complemented by a pinot. Dinner was topped off by affogato and a sundae. We left with full tummies and smiles. Hats off to Neumanali!Special Features:
- It's a darling and tiny restaurantfarpointdiveVIPDined on 10/22/2011It's a darling and tiny restaurant with food that ranks amongst the best in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- The food was good and a beautifulJaneVIPDined on 10/18/2011The food was good and a beautiful setting. Service of main course was slow, slow, slow.Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceGoodVIPDined on 10/13/2011We had some of the BEST service ever! and the food was delicious and well presented...all in all, I think this is on the top of my list for good food and service.Special Features: