19 East 26th Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sd26ny.com/
- Phone: 2122655959x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm -11:00 pm,
Friday & Saturday 5:30 pm - 11:30 pm,
Brunch: Saturday 11:00am - 4:00 pm
SUNDAYS AVAILABLE FOR PRIVATE FUNCTIONS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matteo Bergamini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are a full-service catering and event-planning company specializing in exquisite Italian cuisine and gracious service.
We can provide all the necessary components to achieve an exceptional event of any kind from 10 guests to 1000.
- Special Events: We offer private dining in The Balcony Room and The Wine Connoisseur's Room, for festive entertaining.
The Balcony Room: Lunch and Dinner, seats 60 guests, can hold standing reception for up to 100 guests.
The Wine Connoisseur's Room: Seats 22
- Cross Street: E 26th St. Between 5th and Madison Aves.
- Public Transit: 6 train-28th Street Lexington & Park
N & R trains-23rd Street Between 5th & Broadway
Buses: 5th Ave & Madison Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking garages located in the area thru Central Parking Systems.
12 East 22nd St (Between 5th and Madison)
55 West 26th St (Between 5th and 6th Ave.)
A word from SD26 Restaurant
The modern, sexy, upbeat SD26 Restaurant, designed by Massimo Vignelli, is co-owned by legendary father daughter restaurateurs Tony May & Marisa May. SD26 brings a dining experience that is both special and seductive and sets the scene in first class Italian style for tasting of contemporary flavors that are unmistakably Italian created by Executive Chef Matteo Bergamini.Continued
Exciting SD26 Wine Bar with electronic Enomatic wine dispensers and SD26 smart cards is a great way to be your own sommelier!
Exciting SD26 Wine Bar with electronic Enomatic wine dispensers and SD26 smart cards is a great way to be your own sommelier!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SD26 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (139)special occasion (130)notable wine list (96)romantic (83)neighborhood gem (77)great for lunch (67)good for groups (65)vibrant bar scene (55)hot spot (44)great for brunch (17)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Steadily excellent!Harp28VIPDined on 7/9/2014You can never be disappointed by the extraordinary food at SD26. We really liked the new menu. All fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!pandaDined on 7/7/2014SD26 is a gem. Food, service, atmosphere are special, even for NY. After 40 years of NYC dining, it's now our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- words can not describewhatislifeDined on 7/2/2014This had to be the best food I had ever had in life. My taste buds slaped my faced and asked me what had I been putting in my mouth before this. I closed my eyes and I was in heaven. Ambrisoa is what I had that day and as I past any fast food reasturant I cry and remember what I had that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodCarlkalDined on 7/1/2014The food was really excellent especially the raviolo and the goat which was so crispy and tender. The hostess was super nice and friendly and moved us to a booth on request even though we were only 2. The server was good but the whole iPad thing for drinks let the side down. When I asked what a certain wine was like I was shown the tasting notes on the iPad when I would have rather the waiter just talk to me about it. Overall the place was excellent and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A guaranteeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014Never disappoints, service is stop on, food exceptional.Special Features:
- Great food, pushy staffChryslerSpireVIPDined on 6/30/2014The large room is dramatic and the food excellent and consistent. Front-house staff is cordial and helpful. The iPad wine list was novel when it first came out but it has languished behind better app design; unfortunately, asking your waiter about wine reveals that his understanding of their offerings has languished, also. But my main concerns: The wait staff, which is uncoordinated, once I tell one waiter I don't want more wine poured, I shouldn't have to tell two others. And they rush to refill and over-fill the glasses, which is completely unnecessary. This leaves the impression that they are pushing up the bill rather than giving good service. This, too, has been consistent, on 3+ visits. With some adjustments, this could be fabulous.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/30/2014waiter was a brupt and seemed uninterested in our dining experience.
- SD26OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2014Always have a great meal and great service here. The uovo raviolo is the signature dish, rich and so satisfying.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceCamnycDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter went above and beyond to make sure our meal was perfect. Great food, great people, great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveYummyVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is very pricey, I would say overpriced. The iPad wine list is a bit gimicky. The food was great, but the service was quite slow. I would say it is a good spot for special occasions but not a regular for the restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- Always great for lunch!Harp28VIPDined on 6/26/2014Love the lunch menu, a great find and the cuisine is always so wonderful, innovative and tasty! Bravo!Special Features:
- Excellent!!sbmikeDined on 6/20/2014The Chef was great, the service very good. A very special restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an unbelievable mealEatingMyWayThroughNYCVIPDined on 6/19/2014First let me start off by saying I have been going to SD26 for years- back to when it was on Central Park South. It is tradition to go fro Christmas Eve dinner. I now work in the area for a hotel and ALWAYS send guests here for an amazing meal. I always get a charcuterie board- they cut the meat at the station on display in the restaurant and the cheese selection is delicious. The pastas are out of this world. I enjoyed the goat cheese ravioli immensely. The egg ravioli was just as great. I recommend this restaurant for both lunch and dinner. The wine list is extensive and the sommelier is very knowledgeable. The pizzas look very good as well!Special Features:
- Lunch like it ought to be!HaydenVIPDined on 6/17/2014Terrific lunch menu. Lots of options at a great value. The restaurant is right by my office. I so rarely go to lunch. But when I do, I'm wondering why I don't do this more often.Special Features:
- The good and the badOnlythetruthDined on 6/17/2014I know this restaurant from a couple of previous lunch visits and the food was still very good. Unfortunately the arrogant waiter spoiled it all. Needs to have floating managers manage and oversee what goes on, rather than spend their time chatting with their buddiesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but a bit overpricedPRomaniDined on 6/16/2014As foodies, we really enjoy good quality food, and the food at SD26 was pretty good. We've had better, but not in NYC. There were some unique dishes on the menu (e.g baby goat), and it certainly stands out from the cliche Italian restaurants! Sadly, my veal loin seemed a little overcooked. It took a while to cook, so I figured that a replacement would leave us eating separately. The staff were attentive and polite, and not intrusive. One bigger complaint regards the wine. We ordered a chianti, which said $20 on the menu. We realised this was a cheap bottle, because the other wines were $75+, but as we were going out later for drinks, we didn't see the point in splashing out on an expensive bottle. When the bill arrived, the wine was $75!Special Features:
- Great Food and Great AtmosphereSR18Dined on 6/14/2014A great dining experience. Food is excellent. Ambience fantastic and tables not on top of each other so there is room to breathe and talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming and warmkms28VIPDined on 6/13/2014Our experience was excellent start to finish. We were made to feel very welcome our entire evening. Our lovely sommelier Leonora found the perfect wine to suit both my boyfriends and my tastes. Our server Joel was always helpful and never rushed us. Maxwell checked in throughout the evening to make sure everything was satisfactory. Chef Matteo could be seen smiling as he commanded the kitchen all evening, and even the owner wasn't too busy to stop by for a chat..I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for excellent Italian food, a restaurant with a good vibe and a staff who is happy to have you there. And it's in very good company with the other restaurants just down and around the block.Special Features:
- Very good italianmorrisDined on 6/12/2014Excellent service, very good food. Classy place for meeting someone for lunch. Quiet enough to talk. Staff is very accommodating for whatever you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianbizdinerDined on 6/11/2014Check the menu before going and make sure you see options for everyone in your group. I read that this place was a trendy new hot spot but it seemed like a conservative authentic Italian place. My risotto was runny but great desserts.
- Somewhat disappointingarfarfDined on 6/10/2014Have eaten here several times and loved it. This time not so much. The pasta appetizers were good but not great, and the roast veal was dry and frankly without much taste, even with the sauce. Any kitchen can have an off day, but I won't be rushing back anytime soon.Special Features:
- The following 1489 reviews are from the SD26 Restaurant reviews archive.
- Piacere!wineslutVIPDined on 5/29/2014This restaurant has it all going on. The food, the wine list, and the service is spectacular. The entire staff understands "hospitality".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic!Harp28VIPDined on 5/29/2014We keep coming back! Food and service are always outstanding. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service. Food not worth it.BacchusVIPDined on 5/28/2014We were seated for dinner at 6:30 PM and the waitstaff brought us menus. I asked to see the prix fixe menu and was told that it was no longer available. I mentioned that their website advertises the pre-theater menu from 5 to 7 PM, and was told that if you order from this menu you must be out by 7. I have never heard of that. The food was just and mostly not worth the money. I had the veal loin, which came overcooked and tough. I returned it and requested medium. What came back looked more like seared tuna than veal. The waitsfaff were bordering rude and their style of service would hardly be acceptable in a diner.
- As always a fantastic mealMDEHVIPDined on 5/22/2014Have not been in a while but as always, the food was exquisite, the service impeccable and the personal touch by Marisa and her Dad always enjoyable. Still a family run establishment after so many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyatLunchAndyatLunchDined on 5/21/2014Wow...simply wow. From the minute I entered SD26 I was extremely impressed with the restaurant. Everything about it was impeccable. Great ambiance, terrific service, and some of the best food I have ever eaten. I am making a list of people that I want to take to lunch there. Great find!!!Special Features:
- Lucky findShalini18Dined on 5/17/2014I found a picture of their signature ravioli on Instagram and couldn't resist to try it - great venue, food and service - would recommend for anyone visiting NYC!Special Features:
- Ok nothing special.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Food was fine, not great. The welcome at the entrance was nice. Very average overall.
- Great vibelindatantawiDined on 5/16/2014Great vibe! Fabulous food and the ever chic Marisa May makes you feel welcome and at homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/14/2014I have dined here before and had a great experience. This time the service was disappointing. The maître d was disorganized and it was a struggle to get the attention of our server.
- one of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/13/2014This restaurant is always consistantly good, which is why we return time and time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2014We had lovely dinner and and our waiter was excellent and knew his Italian! There were many choices on the menu and the salumeri was fun to seeSpecial Features:
- ExcellentKF4LLFDined on 5/9/2014Food and service are of the best. Exceptional location for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- IsisshuDined on 5/7/2014Fantastic lunch quality/price in a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Strongly recommendSuePDined on 4/26/2014The food is excellent. I love the fact that I can order small portions or most main courses and not blow my diet too badly. The tables in the corners are quieter, so ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply LovelyTheLadyDined on 4/26/2014I had gone here for restaurant week and it was great. My mother was visiting and I thought it would be a great place to bring the woman who made me a foodie. The staff was knowledgeably and friendly. We ended up making our own tasting menu with the smaller portions and had the server bring the items in the order she thought would be best. Everything was delicious and wonderfully presented. While this was an upscale restaurant the warmth of the entire staff made us feel like we were in our neighborhood restaurant. This is now on my mother's rotation of places when she is town!Special Features:
- Only OKThisIsMyReviewerNicknameVIPDined on 4/23/2014Went here on a recommendation from a business associate. Well heeled crowd; very nice space, with good service. Nice wine list. The disappointment was the food. Mediocre at best. The pastas were OK. I ordered the scallops and they were terrible; small portion and drastically over-cooked. One of our party ordered the fish which was bland and uninspired. Nothing special on the salads either. There are so many better Italian restaurants in NYC. Find another one.
- DinerproVIPDined on 4/20/2014Had dinner at sd26 for the first time on Easter Sunday. Food was generally very good, only the lamb was a bit dry. Appetizers and pasta were excellent, as were the desserts. Service a bit uneven but the staff was friendly. Will return for the food.
- A FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014This restaurant was wonderful and although a little pricey, I would not hesitate to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceBob1Dined on 4/19/2014Some of us enjoyed our dishes; others did not. The waiter did not tell us that the spaghetti/lobster special was served in a spicy sauce and frankly I felt the sauce did not complement the lobster whatsoever. Another pasta dish that was supposed to be very lightly spicy was way over the hill and had to be returned. Rabbit, beef and scallop dishes were fine, though the latter was somewhat skimpy. Desserts were fine. Wine advice was mixed but performed in a very pleasant and friendly manner.Special Features: