Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
645 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 7816431666
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Henning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (44)kid-friendly (42)great for lunch (32)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Celiac menu was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2 years ago. It is not an easy diet. I found your restaurant to have the best variety of food for Celiacs. I was also very surprised that you had a gluten free carrot cake! I have been to other restaurants and have not been impressed with the gluten free food. I will be making NYAJ a regular stop when going out to eat. Thank you and keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Love this RestaurantDinesOutFrequently2014Dined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is consistently delicious! Been there several times and the food is always very good. Talented chef here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant as alwaysjoerDined on 4/19/2014We keep coming back mainly because they are so family friendly. The richest kids menu we've seen, convenient space, tolerance for their noise and little feet running around... And a wonderful service in general. Always smiling and trying to make sure we are all enjoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleases everyoneScottVIPDined on 4/13/2014Not Your Average Joe's is a cut above your average chain casual-dining restaurant. The extensive menu has something to please almost everyone. They could make an effort to include more vegetarian and vegan entrees, although, to their credit, they were accommodating when one of our guests, who is vegetarian and lactose-intolerant, ordered pasta off the kids' menu since it was the only item on the menu that met her restrictions. Service was excellent on a busy day. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Bad serviceFridaynightdinnersDined on 4/11/2014In the beginning the waitress was rushing us to order, we had to request a few more minutes 2x. Then when we were ready to order it took us 15 minutes to find her to tell her we were ready for service. I've eaten the pizza at other "not your average joes" and it was yummy, not this time. The waitress continued to disappear until the very end where it took 15 minutes to find her to request the check. Mind you the place was mostly empty the entire time. I had to come back in from my car to get the food I asked to be wrapped only to be told "I put it there" and she turned to walk over to the table, I hear a woops and she went in the back to get it. No apology, even when I tried to let the manager know of my unpleasant experience.
- Always Enjoy Not Your Average Joe'sAnnieADined on 4/9/2014The food is consistently good. Love the bread and oil. This trip we went because of the Wednesday wine special on the website but the promotion had ended. Went back and the date did say the end date was the previous week. Wish they had taken it off of the web site. Still had a good time and enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- We are an older couple andAnneDined on 4/9/2014We are an older couple and like the service when we arrive early (5:30)- and the availability of a booth. We also like the casual atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Good food and valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014This place was overall pretty good for a chain restaurant. The staff was friendly, and the food was pretty good. Our main complaint was that the oil given with the bread was canola oil. Olive oil would be much better. The bread is good, and the canola is just a poor mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family experienceWolverineGoBlueDined on 3/29/2014Came here after a show with my family including 2 young boys. Though it was 7:30 on Saturday service prompt and friendly. We all agreed the food was good ... maybe better than expected. We all had a great experience and would/will go back.Special Features:
- Great food, service and value!DDavisVIPDined on 3/26/2014My family and I love this Not Your Average Joes. The food is always awesome (they are great with allergies), the servers are attentive, but not overbearing and everything is just smooth. It really allows you to enjoy a meal and relax. Although there are great values every night, we tried out Wine Wednesdays this week. Great deal-- 2 awesome entrees and a bottle of wine (great selection and quality!!) for $39.99?!?! How can you beat that price? I would highly recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs ImprovementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Asked for a booth and got a table. We ate here so school would receive a portion of check. Flyer was not taken so we have no way of knowing this actually occurred. A remark about a tip was overheard by a wait person (not favorable). Water was never refilled.
- Gluten-free!nitaDined on 3/22/2014So good to find a gluten-free menu that is actually tasty with enough choices to make the trip worthwhile. I am finally eating out again. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurants....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014One of our favorite restaurants.....highly recommended by us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BriannaDined on 3/15/2014Wonderful service and delicious food served quickly. A great spot for families or casual outings with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Delicious harvest mac n cheese and loved the pear sangria! Thanks for the birthday coupon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDrLODined on 3/14/2014Our server was great. The cod is a tasty and fresh choice. The Manhattan is made just right..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always happy to be backpcprDined on 3/13/2014Not Your Average Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants. Almost anyone will find one (or two or twenty) thing(s) they like, so it's nice when you have a group of people with dissimilar tastes and/or requirements. The place is clean, the staff is excellent and the food is yummy as always.Special Features:
- wine wednesdayschristinaDined on 3/12/2014Wine Wednesday is a great deal. The food was awesome and the wine selection was really good.
- Sweet toothks77Dined on 3/11/2014The molten choc cake was warm gooey and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nathan rocksMrsBVIPDined on 3/7/2014Had a very mixed experience last time we went, but thankfully we were in the capable hands of our server, Nathan. The kitchen goofed and sent our salads out at the same time as the entrees. The two employees who delivered our food could barely have been more rude or less concerned that we were not happy with the timing. When Nathan came back to check in he immediately saw what was wrong and made it right. The managers and hosts at this location could learn a lot about service from this guy!
- Go to favoriteChristaoramaVIPDined on 3/6/2014This is a great place to dine if you're looking for some great food that wont break the bank. My go to is the Waldorf salad (the smoked cheese really makes this) and the mustard crusted chicken with green beans and mashed. Ive never had a meal that wasnt on par at this place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food choices were good.HDE42Dined on 3/1/2014The food choices were good. Our server was excellent. The food was served in a timely manner and was served as we requested it. It was well prepared and the temperature was right and the food was very good. There's a nice selection of beer and wine, and it's nice that there are some different choices. The only negative is that the restaurant is very loud. But we would come again and recommend it.Special Features:
- Great service and varietykatiemhigginsVIPDined on 3/1/2014There are a lot of options for dining in Arlington Center, but NYAJ's is a great option for large groups. The service was incredible, and the menu (both food and drink) offer choices for all sorts of food preferences. Definitely make a reservation if you are dining on a weekend evening. Also, if you dine before going to see a show at the Arlington Friends of the Drama, show your ticket confirmation for 15% off of your bill!Special Features:
- always willing to accommodate...StephDined on 2/23/2014The reason I like NYAJ's - is it can work for everyone in a group. Whether someone doesn't want to eat bread/gluten, or someone else wants to skip the onions, or another wants to add more meat -- NYAJs always try to accommodate our individual eating habits/needs - one of the best restaurants for a group of friends....Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedkittyDined on 2/23/2014I have always been a huge fan of Arlington's Not Your Average Joes. The service as usual was fantastic. I was disappointed in the quality of food. I ordered steak tips but they were a little tough and the mashed potatoes were not good at all, green beans were excellent. I hate to say it, but I do not like the new decor. To me it looked old, dark and cheap. The old decor was perfectly fine. Again, sorry to write this negateive review, but as I mentioned, the server was wonderful, they are always top notch.Special Features:
- Very dependableDavidDined on 2/22/2014Keep the spinach pear salad on the menu, its the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServicePeterVIPDined on 2/22/2014Wonderful friendly service, great food, good selections and well prepared. A restaurant you can always count on.Special Features:
- fantasticEvaBedDined on 2/21/2014we have been to many Joe's - westborough, arlington and hingham, we frequent arlington and hingham/norwell the most and they are always fabulous! This trip to arlington was packed solid when we got there and they had our table waiting for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently InterestingKKinNewtonDined on 2/16/2014When we have an eclectic group or are not sure what we will want for lunch or dinner we always think of NYAJs. We usually go to the one in Watertown but go to the Arlington one with my mother-in-law who lives nearby. It is recently redone and looks fresh and comfortable. The service was great. Always have the same experience at the Watertown one too. For a little something different at reasonable prices, can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodNebdvmDined on 2/15/2014Interesting menu different from you typical offeringsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice, we will be back.TomKDined on 2/14/2014very nice, we will be back. Food and service were great, loved the special valentine's wine pricingSpecial Features:
- NYAJ's Arlington Does it Again!!!AnthonyDined on 2/14/2014Once again, Not Your Average Joe's in Arlington provided an outstanding dining experience. After having kids, it was difficult to find a place where I could feel comfortable having Valentine's dinner with my wife while bringing the kids along. I hate to leave the kids behind on special occasions and Joe's is the perfect place for a family Valentine's day celebration. The special Valentine's Day menu was superb, especially when combined with the $20.00 wine list. I noticed that other couples were there with children and some were there simply as couples, proving again that Joe's in Arlington is great for all occasions! I highly recommend Joe's in Arlington for anyone wanting a quality meal with great prices and in a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- An "Above Average" night out!NickDined on 2/7/2014What a fantastic night out! From start to finish I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The online reservation process, the smiles at the door, the over the top service and a visit from the manager made it an ABOVE average night out. The place ROCKED!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very annoying to be badgeredhillwillDined on 2/3/2014Very annoying to be badgered by the need for feedback all the time. The waitress was sweet but so programmed in asking all the questions for marketing the place... and then telling me about her 'personal favorite' and so on. The last straw was having a little screen in front of me with a total ranking of all items of the 'eating experience'... for a simple appetizer for lunch...Special Features:
- We loved the easy & convenientChickpeaDined on 2/1/2014We loved the easy & convenient reservations, good food and a cozy atmosphere. It was a bit loud, but the service was great.Special Features:
- Great food, service, w/ allergiesDDavisVIPDined on 1/29/2014We recently went to dinner at Not Your Average Joe's in Arlington. Our experience could not have been better. The waitstaff was attentive, but not overbearing and the food was amazingly delicious-- everyone loved everything we ordered from appetizers to dessert. In addition, they were great with allergies. As someone who struggles to go out to eat due to a severe allergy to dairy, I was thrilled with Not Your Average Joe's response. The waiter was knowledgable, the kitchen was super accomodating (more so than any other restaurant I've experienced), and my dairy free appetizers and chicken was amazing that people actually wanted to share with me (that never happens). I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winesday bargainra65Dined on 1/29/2014We tried the winesday special and it was great. The winesday menu is limited but there is still plenty of choices. There was no problem getting a table although we did make a reservation. For $39, you get a choice of 2 entrees and a bottle of wine. At the end of meal if you want to take wine home they will re-cork the wine. The food was very good, service was good, a good bottle of wine and the price was right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of a special at 6:30?SubdharmabumDined on 1/25/2014Although we did enjoy our dinner Saturday night I was very disappointed that at only 6:30 they were out of one of the specials that I really was looking forward to.Special Features:
- The server was excellentnicknameDined on 1/25/2014We were served by a young woman. Very friendly. Upbeat. She came back enough times to stay connected yet not too much. Just right.. The food came out in the right amount of time. Everyone enjoyed their meal. All worked out well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for BirthdayAuntSpeedyDined on 1/24/2014Joe's has a birthday club. You get a free entrée and dessert every year if you join the "club." Their service is always superb. They welcome special requests, have a gluten free and shell fish safe options for those who need it. They will always take back and give you a replacement meal or drink if its not to your satisfaction. Menu varies... goes up and down. But always something for everyone.Special Features: