Not Your Average Joe's Acton
305 Main Street
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Acton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 9786350101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: G. Mendes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Acton
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Acton - Best Restaurants in Acton ›
Not Your Average Joe's Acton reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)good for groups (76)kid-friendly (73)great for lunch (70)fit for foodies (40)special occasion (34)hot spot (20)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- actonmanDined on 7/15/2014The food was good, but too expensive for what you get.
- accommodating to special dietLadyFromRyeDined on 7/12/2014Our party included a mobility-challenged person and a person with celiac disease. They were super-accommodating to special needs re: gluten-free choices and seating loacation so we were thrilled overall with our experience. Plus, the food was delicious and the service was very attentive. We were so delighted that we returned a day later for lunch with out-of-town guests, and they were also very happy with the food choices.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnertootallDined on 7/11/2014My overall experience for this visit was good. The kitchen missed adding the shrimp to my Chicken Oscar. The sever missed it too. We caught it later and my meal was immediately taken taken off our bill, no questions asked. This left us with a good feeling but we understand that it had happened to other people that night as well. We will definitely dine at Not Your Average Joe's again and hopefully the kitchen errors will be corrected by then.Special Features:
- Pecan chicken greatPamfDined on 7/10/2014The pecan crusted chicken is wonderful! I hope you keep it on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow - Slow - slowUsernicknameDined on 7/2/2014Had a 7:15 reservation and waited 15 minutes for table. Ordered an appetizer (stuffed quahogs) which took about 20 minutes to arrive. They were presented on a salt lick and were almost inedibly salty. Waited another 1/2 hour for dinner and 20 more minutes for dessert. Our server was excellent - Brandy did the best she could given the fact that the kitchen's 'slowness' was beyond her control. We had a gift card that we were told expired, but the manager, Meredith was very accommodating and fixed that issue promptly. We are almost regulars at Joe's in Acton, and the thing that keeps us coming back is the staff - always friendly and always on top of their game. The food and the timeliness in which it arrived was a problem, however.Special Features:
- GlutenGlutenproblemsDined on 6/28/2014Hi Love the menu and the gluten free side! We asked the waitress if the Mojihto was gluten free? The bartender said yes! I had two raspberry Mojhito's and became violently ill and had to leave. I left my 100.00 dollar dinner in your parking lot and all along rte 27 on way home. You need to advise that the Mojhito mixes can have elements of gluten and your stafff needs to be more careful! The bartender had long blonde hair and we will not be ordering at your restaurant anymore.Special Features:
- BobbiDined on 6/26/2014Food is always excellent at NYAJ's. We particularly like the tuna wonton appetizer - delish!Special Features:
- Service / FoodGoodies1949Dined on 6/25/2014The waitress was friendly and was excellent with service. They accommodate you when you desire a former recipe that is no longer shown on the menu. I absolutely love Not Your Average Joe and have brought at least 10 individuals to introcuce them to Not Your Average Joes's in Acton.Special Features:
- Thankyou for the Birthday DinnerOutWithFriends622Dined on 6/23/2014It was a great night with 2 of my friends that I haven't seen in a while. and the Birthday Dinner/Dessert coupon you sent me in the mail made it even better. The food is delicious and great choices. Prices are good. The only issue is the noise level and the cramped seating if you are not in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Due to health issues, my wife asked for a special non-alcoholic non-citrus drink, and they whipped one up on the spot. And because we told them it our our anniversary, we weren't even charge for it! We go to NYAJ often because, frankly, we like it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Food was delicious and the service was excellent. $9 for a glass of wine; seems a bit high would be my complaint as far as pricing goes. A little noisy there but I really enjoy the food there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day for large group of 11docadinesDined on 6/15/2014Ambiance in NYAJs is very nice. Love that the menu and nutrition info is available online and accomodates diners with dietary restrictions. Given that it was a busy holiday the service was very good. Food options somewhat limited and change on a regular basis which can be a possible issue depending upon the preferences of the diner. Our son was disappointed - looking for a dish that he had had previously enjoyed (vietnamese salmon) but is no longer offered. The glazed salmon was cooked properly, chicken with pecans with sweet potato fries very good as well. Carrot cake was ok, should have gone for the peanut butter thing which is a signature dessert. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Hit-or-miss service; tricky menu.tjBostonDined on 6/15/2014Our experience here each time varies greatly on the server. Sometimes we get pampered and well taken care of; sometimes, like this time, we get grumpy perfunctory treatment and bare-bones super-slow service. We both tried their new seasonal Carolina Pecan Chicken. One out of the four pieces was extremely raw inside, which is understandable because it is a tricky thing to cook without burning the pecans on the outside. It was quickly replaced, and the manager showed proper concern for the error and took the raw piece back to the kitchen for them to see & learn from. It was handled exactly the way it should have been, and I congratulate them on how they're trying to improve. The cooked pieces were all delicious, with an awesome mustard sauceSpecial Features:
- As Always - a delicious meal!EmilyDined on 6/14/2014We are regulars at "Joe's" and our last visit lived up to the delight of the former ones! I tried the vegetarian version of one of their entrees, and it was yummy. 3 "cannellonis" filled w kale, artichoke, cheese (sorry vegans) and other delicious ingredients. I usually don't order vegetarian entrees, but was glad I did. They subbed in delicious whole green beans for the squash summer medley. Always flexible, always fun, always delicious!! We also bought a gift card that night and got an appreciation card, for future use. GOOD DEAL!!!Special Features:
- Love it hereLeepenn59Dined on 6/12/2014The salads are awesome. I love the raspberry goat cheese salad and I usually add the salmon to it. Filling but healthy! The seasonal sangrias are not to be missed either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place.grt2eatDined on 6/12/2014The friends we brought with us were "first time" customers and they liked it very much...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueparsleyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Went for a ladies night on Wednesday. NYAJ does a special "WINESDAY" $39.99 for 2 entrees and a bottle of wine. The salmon was excellent and the paired sauvignon blanc was more than decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsDannyboyDined on 6/8/2014NYAJ never disappoints a diner. On this occasion, we were a group of 15. Aaron was new on the job: took care of all our needs. Our group was made up of adults and Tweens and teens; We had gluten fee, sugar free, and carb free (none of that delicious focaccia for her!) as always NYAJ chefs took good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swift seating and serviceLadyJaneVIPDined on 6/4/2014Another great meal at NYAJ in Acton, which is always the case. The service was impeccable and the seating was immediate, which is not always typical at this very busy local hot spot! We love to come here and look forward to next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 670 reviews are from the Not Your Average Joe's Acton reviews archive.
- Busy but goodJohnDined on 6/3/2014Very busy on a Tuesday night, so server was not as attentive, but still did okay. Enjoyed the special Java pork entree with corn cakes and mango jicama slaw. Could have skipped the caesar salad, because lots of slaw. We also had the saffron cod over crab cake in lobster broth, but the crab cake dissolved in the broth. Cod was very good, but crab cake would have been better separate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average Joe'svbs1Dined on 5/31/2014Never disappointed. Good food and service at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:
- Unexpectedly good serviceSweetTVIPDined on 5/30/2014NYAJ's is a fun family restaurant and we've enjoyed this location several times before, but tonight's service was exceptional. My family has several allergies, and while we are always treated well with our special orders, tonight's service by the server and the manager was simply over the top. NYAJ's isn't a high brow restaurant, but the service we received tonight was better than many experiences at some of the best rated restaurants in Boston. The management of this location should be commended for how incredibly well they treated a special set of guests, especially considering how busy the restaurant was that evening.Special Features:
- Always GreatBrewtalboyzDined on 5/30/2014We don't go out to eat a whole lot, maybe 1-2 times per month. We go to NYAJ 2-3 times a year (we'd go more but the nearest one is 40 minutes away). NYAJ is consistently great. They treat their customers extremely well and the managers are very active.Special Features:
- Awesome placeAmazingDined on 5/29/2014Great dining experience and great food. Always fun and the service is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value, tasty foodbethr524Dined on 5/26/2014You can't go wrong at NYAJ's. There's something for everyone on the menu, and they'll accommodate special requests. The food is served promptly, the bread is delicious, and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Lots of options and all greatFantasticVIPDined on 5/25/2014Something for everyone! Everything we had was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodmelandjosdinerDined on 5/20/2014We love Not Your Average Joe's - the food is always good, interesting and the bread is a real treat.Special Features:
- DisappointedJDConcordDined on 5/18/2014We are regulars and were disappointed with our server and with the Waldorf salad which I request very regularly. The chicken was dried out. I had asked for dressing on the side and it came covered in dressing so it was returned and exchanged. The second salad had dried out chicken. They did take it off my bill, but honestly I would have preferred to get a great salad (as it normally is) and pay for it.
- Dinner with a friendKerryMDined on 5/15/2014We just had salads and drinks. Price was perfect and food was yummy!Special Features:
- A neighborhood jewlladybugDined on 5/14/2014What I like most about NYAJ's is the fact that they change their menu (not all) by season. They get the freshest local food ingredients to make the eating experience the best. I went to try their new dishes and I was not disappointed. Great food at a reasonable price without having to go to the city.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014We always have a great meal and the service is excellent. It's difficult to carry on a conversation, and the decor could use an update.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!bjedwardDined on 5/11/2014We do so enjoy dining at Not Your Average Joe's, and enjoyed their special Mother's Day menu on this visit.Special Features:
- A special place.grt2eatDined on 5/11/2014We enjoy going there. WE live 35mins. away and do not mind the drive. The staff is always very nice. We bring friends there too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceJanicedDined on 5/10/2014I've been a few times for lunch, but this was the first time for everyone in my party. The food was good. Our server Veronica rocked. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comes Through Once AgainShelleyDined on 5/8/2014My husband and I go to Not Your Average Joe's frequently. One of the perks for signing up for inclusion in their email listing is a free entree and dessert on one's birthday every year. It certainly is a great marketing tool. We make sure to go every birthday. As usual, the food was dependable and delicious. We especially enjoy the "Peanut Butter Thing" for dessert. You should try it yourself and make sure to sign up for the mailings!Special Features:
- EnjoyedNYAJoesEnjoyedNYAJoesDined on 5/8/2014We always have a good time at Joe's. There are times when we feel rushed through dinner, but this dinner was relaxed and the waitress was charming and efficient. The food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Quick BiteBillDined on 5/7/2014A neighborhood restaurant that offers you a pleasant welcome in a spacious and moderately noisy environment. Food selections are great with specials noted by your server when you are seated. Though I made lunch reservations that is not always necessary for a mid-week lunch. My selection of crusted baked scrod was awesome for presentation and taste with a side of fries that are always good here. The chicken pot pie ordered by my wife was a strange presentation of a giant fluff shell over a bowl of chicken pot pie contents. The crust was nothing to dine on. Had the crusted shell been opened on a plate and filled with the contents of the bowl it could have been delectable.Special Features:
- so so for dinnerAbbyDined on 5/3/2014found the menu limited and selections not terribly interesting. I had the chicken enchiladas which were tolerable but I would not get them again. Husband had the mustard panko crusted chicken which was much better than my meal but that is something I can easily make at home. Less than inspired menu.Special Features:
- Very goodNicknameVIPDined on 4/30/2014Everything went fine, as always. Not Your Average Joe's is one of our favorite places and we are regulars.Special Features:
- AverageStone13VIPDined on 4/22/2014We have dined here many times and it seems that each time something happens to disappoint us. Last night it was the timing of the meal. The main course arrived no more than 30 seconds after the salads arrived and the beverages half way through the meal. The food is usually decent.Special Features: