Not Your Average Joe's Needham
109 Chapel Street
Needham, MA 02492Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Needham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 7814539300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Romano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Needham
Description: What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Needham - Best Restaurants in Needham ›
Not Your Average Joe's Needham reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)kid-friendly (53)great for lunch (48)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (31)vibrant bar scene (20)special occasion (13)hot spot (10)notable wine list (8)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great foodyummyDined on 5/27/2014I had the pecan chicken on the special. It was delicious. Our one complaint on the evening was the sweet potato fries which were not fries at all. They were large , hard slices of sweet potatoes baked. Very misleading and not very enjoyable to eat. Otherwise everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- DeeelishJackieHVIPDined on 5/23/2014NYAJ Needham never disappoints! Food was so good! They are always so creative with their menu...putting a nice spin on things. Every course was terrific. And a great GM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodyummyDined on 5/22/2014Everything from the waiter to the food and dessert was excellent. We had 2 birthday coupons . Great food and great everything.Special Features:
- good food, music too loudartellisDined on 5/22/2014went here with a buddy around noon on a Thursday. the food and service were great, but the music was too loud and didn't really fit the ambience of the restaurant. the folks at the table next to is asked that the music be turned down. please don't get me wrong, I've been to hundreds of concerts and play music myself, but the music was loud. bar loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 388 reviews are from the Not Your Average Joe's Needham reviews archive.
- disappointing ...paradooxDined on 5/20/2014Sometimes their food just misses after trying too hard - The "Not your average nachos" was basically a bunch of chips on tops of some salsa and other stuff. The dough on the cannelloni could have been better. The ambiance could have been better as we were seated by the door and the tables were crowded together. The waitress seemed overworked and tired and got lost for periods of time. For example, we had to remind her to get the dipping sauce for the bread. We've had better meals at NYAJ, but this was not one of them.
- After work meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2014Enjoy meeting friends after work here. Always good food, close by and we can talk.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014NYAJ is a great place - continues to live up to its reputation with consistently great food and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needham lunch placeCharScottVIPDined on 5/15/2014A great place to have lunch in Needham. Good selections for everyone, no matter how picky. We loved the lettuce wraps!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchclientDined on 5/11/2014Not Your Average Joe's was deeply average! Food OK, staff pleasant, but nothing memorable, except that they were out of the first three things we tried to order! Yes, it was Mothers' Day, but they might have been able to plan for the volume. Tuna wonton appetizer is great.
- Great casual diningRedlipDined on 5/11/2014Casual, comfortable, but nice enough for a special family gathering or a date. Food is consistently great...really nice selection too.Special Features:
- I'm a regular at Joe's in Needham.nboudrotDined on 5/11/2014The service is always friendly and accomodating and the food is fantastic!! I go there probably 4 or 5 times a week and I don't think I've ever been disappointed in any dish I've gotten there. I love the creativity of the menu - it changes all the time. Try something different and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service made the mealKL1111VIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful and relaxing Mother's Day lunch. The food was good as usual, but our server was outstanding. Just the right mix of being attentive yet not overbearing.Special Features:
- Table for SixOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Joe's is one of my favorite places to go. The menu has something for everyone and the food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Find another place!B52hgfVIPDined on 5/4/2014Would never recommend this joe's location in needham. To small had to wait for our table to be cleared. Bathrooms smell like a zoo and were so dirty! I assure u the next time I go to visit my son at college. I WILL NOT BE GOING TO THIS LOCATION OF NOT YOUR AVARAGE JOES. HOSTESS WAS VERY RUDE ALSO.
- Quick Bite on a Late Saturday NightbobmobilelimeDined on 5/3/2014If it is Saturday night in Needham and you want a good drink and quick dinner, Not Your Average Joes is a great spot. I recommend the Margarittas that come in a glass with an shaker. One Margo is really equivalent to two regular drinks. We had the tuna tartar appetizer which was also tasty. Of course the bread and olive oil helps fill you up. We went simple on the main course and had burgers. It was prepared well and appetizing. The only negative was a slightly overattentive waiter. He wanted clear you plates a little too quickly. I think he thought he was providing good service but it was little annoying. Overall a good experience. Parking was convenient.Special Features:
- We can always count on N.Y.A.J!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014Our dining experience was to be as expected! We can always count on N.Y.A.J! Host staff was welcoming and accommodating. Waitresses were knowledgeable in menu, friendly and not overbearing. Our waitress's timing was spot on! Food was fresh & delicious, portions were just right. We were served everything we asked for and in timely manner for a busy restaurant. Thank you N.Y.A.J. for another great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday club very generous!isuzDined on 4/25/2014I got a delicious free dinner and dessert on the occasion of my birthday! NYAJ's is a favorite spot and we will come back during the year and esp for our birthdays! It's a great treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2014The music was blaring as I was served my late, overcooked salmon on top of my wilted green salad. I go here often as it is convenient. However, it was WAY too loud this time and so I will likely not return.Special Features:
- Easy and tastyBostonBeanDined on 4/17/2014Good variety on menu for kids and adults. Service was very good. Our waiter knew the menu well and made good suggestions. Fast and easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/15/2014Perfect place to meet after work or quick bite after working around the house all day and we even have gone there for dinner with friends on the weekend.Special Features:
- always good food and reasonable,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2014always good food and reasonable, good neighborhood find for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- you need to improve your frenchbigguyDined on 4/12/2014you need to improve your french fries little pieces aren't good
- Always a great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Always a great place to go after Saturday choirs or afterwork.Special Features:
- 3 of us went for lunch andDodiVIPDined on 4/11/20143 of us went for lunch and as always the bread and dip was the best. I had the salmon and loved it. The other two had the chopped salad and were disappointed. The dish had little eye appeal and the chicken wasn't chopped but in huge slices. Once they got over that it was fine. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had reservations for sixbkp2014Dined on 4/9/2014We had reservations for six o'clock, but, of course, due to traffic, we were five minutes late, and the host had given our booth away. I thought that was really poor customer service. There were three booths empty, but not clean; we waited approximately ten minutes after we arrived. Our server was excellent; I wish I could remember his name. We never felt rushed; food was delicious and cooked exactly as ordered. Great time with my daughter!Special Features:
- Little things count...ThebearsDined on 4/6/2014The food, prices, and service is all good. However, sometimes the little things are lacking. Our table did not have napkins and silverware, and we had to ask several times for these, even after food had been served. The waiter forgot the type of wine we ordered but that was quickly rectified. The great things about Joe's definitely over weigh these minor inconveniences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalvationNYAJoesDined on 4/4/2014It was a rough week with several very long days. It was perfect to go to Joe's after an exceptionally long day at work and have dinner without the work of making it at home.Special Features:
- Great place to grab good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Great place to grab good food with friends either after work on Saturday night. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep up the good workilovfishVIPDined on 3/30/2014Offers a menu for everyone in the family. Great and creative specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love NYAJskierDined on 3/30/2014I always enjoy eating at NYAJ. My favorite thing is the bread. It is so good! The meals are great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone. ItNallymacDined on 3/27/2014Something for everyone. It is great to be able to reserve ahead of time. Very busy 5:30-7 with family groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Winesday Promotional DinnerMaggieVIPDined on 3/26/2014Consistently solid, NYAJ's serves up well-prepared, well-seasoned dishes in a pleasant atmosphere with good service at reasonable prices. We took advantage of the "Winesday" promotion - two entrees and Ravenswood Zin for $40. Basic sides - green beans, butternut squash and mashed potatoes. The chef relied a bit on salt and butter or oil for the green beans and potatoes, but the squash was nicely cubed and included black pepper, other fitting spice. The sirloin tips were prepared to order (medium-rare) and also nicely pepper-spiced. The soy-based marinate did not leave too much sweetness in the tips - just a very pleasing flavor. My panko-crusted cod was lightly seasoned/breaded - perfect. Only complaint: food temperature, warm not hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and delishSwarn68Dined on 3/25/2014We go to this spot a few times a month and it never disappoints. Steak frites and line caught cod are 2 of my favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerapetitejoeDined on 3/24/2014The food and service at this restaurant was outstanding and I highly recommend it to anyone. My children also enjoyed the food and service.Special Features:
- Last Minute DinnterOliverDined on 3/19/2014I decided to treat myself to a last minute dinner, made a reservation on OpenTable. Although had to wait a bit as it was "Wine Wednesday," it was worth it. Friendly staff, great service, delicious food. For the folks waiting for a table, they brought out a full pizza to nibble on while waiting! The Chicken "No-Fredo" I had was a tasty creation, indeed. And, what can you say about the "Peanut Butter Thing" I had for desert. When I joked it was my no-fat, no-calorie desert, the waiter agreed, noting it was really just like eating air! Insanely delicious air... ; - ) Thanks, NYAJ. A lovely meal.Special Features:
- We love Joe'sanonDined on 3/15/2014A great restaurant to gather with friends. Everyone was happy with the food. Highly recommend the meatloaf. Bread is very good. The waitstaff and management were so helpful in arranging for our large group. The service was really excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014I unfortunately was very disappointed. The pitcher of Margurita was all ice, the pizza was all bread with little topping and although the service was good the rest of the meal was really poor. I don't think I would recommend this place or the chain to anyone.
- Great placeMichelleDined on 3/8/2014Not Your Average Joe's in Needham is a hot spot for families so having a reservation helps. We were seated right away (due to the reservation). Our server was excellent and two managers dropped by to see how everything was. We had two gluten free dinners in our party. Their GF menu has lots of selections. They even bring out GF bread for dipping. Food is quite good. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food marred by bad serviceRinFDined on 3/8/2014I eat at the various Not Your Average Joe's regularly, and this was truly the first time that I had sub-par service. Our server seemed overwhelmed by everything -- getting our pretty basic orders correct, providing us with change for a $20, bringing my mother-in-law plain tea... he had to check and . Otherwise, the food was excellent as always, and the atmosphere was fine, though as the smallest of the NYAJ's I've been to, I find the Needham location a bit cramped. Still they make the most of the space without seating you on top of each other,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our local favoriteKSmithVIPDined on 3/7/2014NYAJ is our families favorite spot. Great for both adults and kids, great food and service right around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.