The Federal Restaurant & Bar
135 Cooper St
Agawam, MA 01001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Federal Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://thefederalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4137891267
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Presnal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: When the Federal caters, our reputation travels with us, whether to a dinner for fifteen or a wedding party of 300. The Federal brings the same exacting standard to every detail of your event, be it a graduation party, wedding, or business luncheon. Total event planning is also available – to your specifications, of course.
- Private Party Facilities: The elegant and relaxed atmosphere of the Federal Restaurant can be reserved for weddings, special events, corporate functions, private parties and private luncheons. The restaurant offers different sized rooms for private gatherings. The largest room accommodates seventy guests and the smallest accommodates up to fifteen. no additional fee is attached to table service or menu in these rooms. The staff of the Federal will make every effort to procure your desired audio or visual equipment for business presentations if requested at least two days in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Cristina Presnal 4137891267
- Entertainment: Live Music in the bar every Friday & Saturday night
A word from The Federal Restaurant & Bar
Built by Samuel Converse in 1862, the impressive Greek revival structure at 135 Cooper Street in Agawam, Massachusetts became home to the Federal Hill Club in 1936. under the management of its owners the Moretti family, that establishment remained a premiere restaurant for over fifty years. The Federal's current owners Michael Presnal and Ralph Santaniello easily integrate the white linen elegance of that bygone era with a fresh and innovative "new american" cuisine that is perfectly prepared and impeccably served. strong Italian and French influences inspire the contemporary culinary style of Chef Presnal in dishes such as his red beet risotto, burnt tangerine glazed cod, and white-chocolate panna cotta. The Federal is dressed up as a special occasion restaurant, but is sociable and affordable enough for every occasion. It enjoys a dedicated following of appreciative diners from New York to Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Federal Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Agawam ›
The Federal Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)fit for foodies (63)romantic (63)notable wine list (31)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (10)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- WONDERFULAZDEBDined on 4/7/2014ALWAYS WONDERFUL, ALWAYS CONSISTANT, YET THEY CONTINUE TO SURPRISE US WITH NEW COMBINATIONS OF FOOD! OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014The service was first rate, considerate, attentive and not at all concerned about how long you wanted to linger all in all first rate. The food was good but not exceptional. Everything was well prepared and hot and nicely presented. The menu provided sufficent variety for most families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outdinneroutDined on 3/29/2014First time at the resturant and was very happy with the night. Atmosphere was energentic and fun in the bar and the dining was quiet and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Federal!bellaDined on 3/29/2014I love the Federal and dine there frequently.The food is always deliciious,the service is great and the atmosphere is comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will returnwinefanaticDined on 3/26/2014Food was awesome. Server, Chrissy, was fantastic, Main dining area is noisy. Lengthy delay in getting food from the kitchen No question we will return as there are too many items we want to trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightJohnnysMomDined on 3/24/2014When we arrived, the hostess who was so incredibly nice and welcoming, took us to our nice small table and took our coats for us. After we ordered the chef sent out a complimentary small appetizer- their risotto balls which are literally TO DIE FOR! We got our appetizers immediately and they were amazing. Our dinners came about 20 minutes later and they were absolutely delicious. We skipped on dessert but was brought out a small amount of fresh cotton candy (which I finished of course). Service was great and I loved the teamwork with all the staff. I have not one negative thing to say about this establishment. My husband and me will most definitely make The Federal our new "special occasion" spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkRoberts0917Dined on 3/21/2014Good service, good food, not enough parking, expensive & small servings
- Although the atmosphere wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014Although the atmosphere was very nice, I was not in love with the food. Seems like the menu is more about putting interesting things together rather than focusing on putting out really great tasting food.
- You cannot go wrong with anyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014You cannot go wrong with any of the food selections. You will have to return multiple times to try the different items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right to the top of our favesLuvtogooutDined on 3/21/2014This was our first visit to The Federal. We had heard good things and our expectations were greatly exceeded. From appetizers to dessert everything was awesome and the service was excellent. Already looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, ExcellentGooddiningDined on 3/17/2014Excellent food, Excellent service. I would highly recommend The Federal. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing servicePlayerDined on 3/14/2014We love The Federal. The food and service are always perfect. Every time. This evening was a birthday celebration and we were very disappointed. Slow all around-and when we had to sit with dinner dishes long after we were done we were nit happy. The service was not like we usually experience.Special Features:
- AwesomeFoodie143Dined on 3/11/2014The food combos were amazing, from start to finish the food combinations were interesting and extremely satisfying! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Such a romantic spot! My partner and I had gotten engaged moments before getting to the Restaurant. Upon arrival we asked to have a bottle of wine waiting for us which there was. Server was fantastic and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!SpartanmomDined on 3/7/2014Always the best food, wine, service! By far the best restaurant in western Massachusetts.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant, but...SDMJrDined on 3/1/2014Had, as always, the best food in all of western Massachusetts. If one wants innovative dishes, with the best ingredients, it's Mike Presnal's fare. I've never had anything but memorable meals at the Federal. I tell this to everyone. This night, however, the food's brilliance was juxtaposed with singularly the worst service I have ever received in a fine dining experience. I'll be back to the Federal, of course-- I still think it is the best restaurant in New England, but this was a bit dispiriting.Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Wonderful experience in a very relaxed atmosphere. Quite pricey but we were prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eli's 16th Birthday!MamakessDined on 2/28/2014Thank you for making our son Eli's sixteenth birthday a memorable experience. We both enjoyed the Caesar Salad with the fried egg feature, the flat bread white pizza with mushrooms, I had salmon over tomato spices, and my son had the pasta bolognese. It was very thoughtful that you brought out a birthday treat for Eli, and making it healthy and that you also respected his privacy by not bringing too much attention to our table in the process. I am eternally grateful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pure excellenceErikaDined on 2/28/2014Nothing comes close to the taste and overall experience of the federal. Well worth every penny and great for the entire family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in greater SpringfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014The Federal always delivers. The food is incredible. The staff is always so professional and pleasant. It's the best restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal dininglove2dineoutDined on 2/22/2014My wife and I went there on Saturday night. We were seated by a large party so the noise level was moderate at least. Wife had mac & cheese with lobster tail. She liked it except the lobster tail only lasted three bites. I had the scallops with asparagus and mashed potatoes. It was very good and fresh scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food for Decent PriceFoodiesDined on 2/15/2014The food overall was great, plated elegantly and prepared correctly. Definitely worth going back, especially since most restaurants in the Pioneer Valley area don't hold a stick to the Federal. Ordered: Beef Tartare - absolutely amazing, delicious Bucket of Balls - Definitely good, but I think the tartare should be the Federal's "famous" dish Surf and Turf - delicious, plated elegantly, and steak served to order (rare). Beef & King Crab legs well seasoned. Filet Mignon - This dish was o.k., I would expect better from the Federal. This dish overall was rather bland, lacked salt, pepper and seasoning, and the skin on the peppers separated. I'd rather order something else for $35.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had reservations and waitedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Had reservations and waited more than a half hour to be seated. Killed the evening.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding inPatronDined on 2/14/2014The food was outstanding in both taste and presentation! The tartare, clam chowder, and scallop dishes were delicious! The live music in the bar is a nice touch. But if you want to start the night off with a few cocktails in the bar, be aware that it is a small space and can easily become crowded. The bartenders were overwhelmed. We waited for a bartender to notice us ... never did get the opportunity to order a 'before dinner' drink. Yet, we will return to experience the other artistic offerings on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Forgettable Experience....!DarrelDined on 2/14/2014The Federal is a never forgettable experience every time we dine there. It is very romantic, the atmosphere is great, then food is to die for and we are speechess when we finally exit this fabulous hidden treasure. Looking forward to another great experience at The Federal very soon... Thank you so much! DarrelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day TreatMassachusetts7Dined on 2/14/2014One of our best meals yet! Creative food, outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience with flair.JPufferDined on 2/11/2014Main dining room is great for a romantic dinner, low lighting, candle light and nice decor. Food is always over the top, with great Chef creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great Food!sloppyjoe34Dined on 2/8/2014I was part of a party of 6. For my girlfriend and I, it was an early Valentine's Day celebration, and we chose The Federal for the second year in a row. As expected, the food was fabulous and the service was outstanding. Our drinks were delivered to the table in a timely fashion, round after round, which is very important especially when dining with friends. It's more than I can afford on a regular basis, but it is a great choice for special occasions because of the constantly great food and service. Save room for the XL Sundae for dessert, you'll need it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night specialfunhogsDined on 2/8/2014Upon arrival, we were welcomed at the door and seated very quickly, we did have reservations. The atmosphere was candle lite and very romantic. Our server was exceptional knowledgeable about the menu and went over each item on the menu including the specials of the day. As for the meals, they came in a timely fashion with a great presentation that looked like something out of a magazine! The food just melted in your mouth, we both had the filet, and both were cooked to perfection. The server kept checking by to see how we were doing and kept asking if we needed anything else. For dessert we split the chocolate trio which finished off the great meal. Overall, I would give The Federal five stars and would highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Birthday CelebrationMariaDined on 2/7/2014We recently celebrated our daughter's birthday at The Federal. The evening was perfect! We tried the fig poppers as an appetizer and we weren't disappointed. All our meals were spectacular. Our server Nicole was terrific, very attentive and friendly. She took really good care of the four of us and made sure that everything was extra special. Dinner ended with delicious banana nutella crepes. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a "keeper."OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/7/2014The food was fabulous - perfection. The service was very good, but I felt a little rushed, like they wanted to turn over the table as we ate somewhat early. The ambiance is lovely and we could hear the live music from the bar (very nice), but the tables for two are rather close together which is not all that conducive for romance. Still a wonderful evening and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem with Awesome FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014The Fed is tucked away in a residential neighborhood. The setting is beautiful historic federal style home. The food is spectacular and the service is great. It is wonderful place to hold a special night out. There also is casual bar which is cozy and often has free music so you can linger a little in the bar after a great dinner if you desire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food some portion problemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2014Food was very tasty. Bucket of balls was more like a glass of balls. The portion size of the mussels appetizer however was surprisingly large. The lobster jambalaya special was a small portion in a huge bowl which just made it look smaller. Diver scallops were very good but the side of portobellos was about the same size as the scallops. The filet mignon was good as was the pork chop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal restaurantEkimnivalDined on 1/31/2014Great place!excellent food!top notch service! Just an excellent dining experience that everyone should go out of their way to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- January 31st - BirthdayDonDiegoDined on 1/31/2014Took my fiance for her birthday.. She loved the ambiance and decor. The food was exquisite!! Good list of wines too. There is also the bar side with life music (that night there was a solo guitar player, reminiscing of famed late Joe Pas. Great place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st VisitLisaCDined on 1/30/2014Wonderful food for my first time visiting The Federal. Food was incredible in taste & presentation.Special Features:
- The bestMalachi1949Dined on 1/25/2014We have visited this rest. Many time for special times. Expensive but worth every last dollar. The kind of place I can go and order at random and love what I get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Federal is the place toOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/25/2014The Federal is the place to go for a special occasion or romantic dinner. It's like dining on Top Chef. Everything is delcious and incredibly fattening. The presentation is exquisite. The waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, patient, and professional. There was nothing more that we could have wanted, except uncloggged arteries.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsMamakessDined on 1/24/2014The place was packed and we were lucky to find a parking space quickly. Of course, there is always valet parking. I wish I could remember what I ate, but it was probably salmon because that is what I always order. I know I enjoyed the evening so much that I booked another reservation for my son's 16th birthday. It was fun to get together with our friends. Although we were in a crowded room surrounded by an amazing amount of patrons, it still seemed as if we had our own little space of solitude where we could converse and enjoy each other's company.Special Features:
- Cure for the winter blues!DenRVIPDined on 1/24/2014What can I say? As usual the food was delicious! The host and wait staff excellent! And the polenta is to die for!! Top that off with cotton candy at the end of the meal...and The Federal once again warmed our winter souls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.