The Federal Restaurant & Bar
135 Cooper St
Agawam, MA 01001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Federal Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://thefederalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4137891267
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Presnal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: When the Federal caters, our reputation travels with us, whether to a dinner for fifteen or a wedding party of 300. The Federal brings the same exacting standard to every detail of your event, be it a graduation party, wedding, or business luncheon. Total event planning is also available – to your specifications, of course.
- Private Party Facilities: The elegant and relaxed atmosphere of the Federal Restaurant can be reserved for weddings, special events, corporate functions, private parties and private luncheons. The restaurant offers different sized rooms for private gatherings. The largest room accommodates seventy guests and the smallest accommodates up to fifteen. no additional fee is attached to table service or menu in these rooms. The staff of the Federal will make every effort to procure your desired audio or visual equipment for business presentations if requested at least two days in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Cristina Presnal 4137891267
- Entertainment: Live Music in the bar every Friday & Saturday night
A word from The Federal Restaurant & Bar
Built by Samuel Converse in 1862, the impressive Greek revival structure at 135 Cooper Street in Agawam, Massachusetts became home to the Federal Hill Club in 1936. under the management of its owners the Moretti family, that establishment remained a premiere restaurant for over fifty years. The Federal's current owners Michael Presnal and Ralph Santaniello easily integrate the white linen elegance of that bygone era with a fresh and innovative "new american" cuisine that is perfectly prepared and impeccably served. strong Italian and French influences inspire the contemporary culinary style of Chef Presnal in dishes such as his red beet risotto, burnt tangerine glazed cod, and white-chocolate panna cotta. The Federal is dressed up as a special occasion restaurant, but is sociable and affordable enough for every occasion. It enjoys a dedicated following of appreciative diners from New York to Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Federal Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Agawam ›
The Federal Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)fit for foodies (59)romantic (59)notable wine list (31)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- What has happened?Luv2dineDined on 6/14/2014We have been going to The Federal for special occasions( son's high school graduation party, my 50th party) for many years and have always adored the food, service and atmosphere. This time our evening was remarkably different. Our waiter was unattentive and appeared to be upset when we did not order a second round of drinks. We waited quite a while for dinner to arrive and when it did come it was lukewarm. My salmon had no taste except for the heavy olive oil that was all over the plate. Very, very un characteristic for the Federal. Is there a new chef there? New management? With the prices that the Federal has they must make sure that the quality of their food is exceptional and service top notch...or customers will go elsewhereSpecial Features:
- GinnyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Very pleasant staff. The food was awesome! Great variety and well seasoned. It was our first visit and I would go back. It was expensive but the complimentary appetizer 2 rissoto balls and a dish of cotton candy for dessert was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/12/2014Food was fabulous!! Must try the risotto balls and Mac and cheese. Everything was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingPattycakeDined on 6/11/2014It is a very lovely restaurant. Food could not be better. Service is always excellent. One of our favorite restaurants to eat atSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful.delightfuldiner8Dined on 6/6/2014We came for a special occasion, a meetup with old friends. The food was fantastic and the service was great.Special Features:
- The following 535 reviews are from the The Federal Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Nice EveningSTEVEANDDDined on 5/31/2014This was our first time at The Federal. We had a party of 8 people for a retirement celebration & everyone in the party had been here before except for us. Overall our experience was a very good one. The food was very good and presented beautifully and the servers were very nice to work with. Our waiter had a good handle on the menu and gave recommendations when asked. However we were a bit disappointed with the lag time between the time we ordered drinks & when they were actually delivered. Also, water wasn't refilled in a timely fashion and when the servers came out with the dinners they didn't have a handle on who ordered what. These a minor details but unexpected for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- deelishDined on 5/27/2014What an incredible find! Had our wedding reception there 35 years ago... Great food then under different management and chef. But now... WOW! Spectacular presentations,creative preparations, and not a single missed beat on anything! Hopefully The Federal will continue to thrive... you can tell whoever is in that kitchen is passionate about his/her love of food! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantMelCDined on 5/27/2014This is an excellent restaurant with superb food. I had the grilled salmon, it was tasty, a bit crunchy on the outside that gives it a unique texture. The asparagus were tasty and crunchy. I and my guest did not have dessert. The ambiance is charming, service was attentive. The cost was reasonable for the quality of food and ambience. Though a glass of wine was a bit pricey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at the Federal. The wait staff was outstanding and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My wife's daughters bought us a gift card, good thing too as even though we live in Agawam we had never heard of The Federal! Our dinner was outstanding, each course better than the one preceding it. For starters we tried the famous "bucket of balls,' which were excellent. Then the salads arrived, and I had not had such an excellent Caesar salad in years. My wife's house salad was pronounced a winner too. We eagerly awaited what was coming for the entrees: Mac 'n Cheese with braised ribs & lobster tail for me, filet mignon and lobster stir fry for her. Both were outstanding. Good-sized portions as well. Neither of us went home hungry, that's for sure. It was quite the memorable evening, and a delightful birthday present!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2014Another fantastic dining experience. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- CyberGirlDined on 5/14/2014Food presentation was eye-catching. Everything we ordered was done to prefection and portions were very ample. Our server was personable, very knowledgeable about the menu, and attentive to our needs. We would definitely recommend this restaurant and are planning a return visit in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal Bar and GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014I went to the restaurant for a Mother's Day brunch and my mom and I were both extremely pleased with the food and the service. It is by far our favorite restaurant to treat ourselves to. The food is amazing and no matter what dish we order we are always leaving very pleased.Special Features:
- Special Mother's Day EveningGregDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I plus 4 other friends dined at The Federal restaurant after attending a great musical performance earlier in the evening. The dining experience was wonderful, the entrees were excellent and made for a very enjoyable day. With it being the evening before Mother's day and the restaurant being packed, it would have been very easy for the staff to rush us through dinner. They did not which afforded us ample time to converse with our friends.Special Features:
- One of the top in the arealovetoeatDined on 5/6/2014I have never been disappointed with The Federal - yes, it's pricey, but it's well worth it. The food is fresh, delicious, and perfectly prepared. I am not normally a fan of beets, but tried the beet 'risotto', and it was incredible! They had a ginger creme brulee, which was the best creme brulee I've ever had. It tasted like a homemade gingersnap cookie, the texture was creamy and luscious, and the carmelized sugar coating was perfect. Their presentations are great, and the chef comes up with wonderful combinations and specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014The selections were unique and creative, I had a very hard time deciding what to order because there were so many wonderful options. Also love the be your own chef options. Everything was delicious. Service was great, all the staff was fun , attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- FantasticcmargoDined on 4/26/2014Food was perfect, servce appropriate, friendly inviting , The seafood was cooked to perfection, the sides complimented the entree . the room we had dinner in was next to a baby shower, they were find. the next table over from us was very nosiy, 4 adults, they thought they were the only ones in the restuarant. Even the bar was quiet compared to them. I prefer the room with the fireplace, warmer and inviting. I have never had a bad experience with the food or service. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Consistent ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014Another great meal at The Federal. We had a large group (12) and our table was ready when we arrived. The service was friendly and attentive. We were there for Easter brunch and a special brunch menu was offered for the holiday as well as chef specials. It was difficult to decide as all the items were appealing. Everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed their meal and we look forward to when we can come back. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchFoodieDined on 4/20/2014The Easter brunch was excellent - delicious, beautiful and fairly priced. We thoroughly enjoyed everything! We only wish the Federal's brunch was offered a few more times a year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerbobbyjimDined on 4/18/2014We have never had a less than excellent dinner at 'The Federal.' My wife is an excellent cook and we never eat at a restaurant that does not serve better food than she can cook. So we do not eat out very often. As always the risotto balls are better that you can get anywhere. Our steaks were a perfect medium rare temperature. Surprisingly there was just a little spice in my vegetables that I could not taste, but it made my bordeaux come alive.Special Features:
- Perfect, as always!Bonap504Dined on 4/12/2014Superlative food, very attentive service. Nice touches. A little loud, but not objectionable.Special Features:
- Best in Western MassOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014We have never been disappointed by the Federal. They have always exceeded our expectations. This is the best restaurant in Western Mass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good news, meh newsFritziDined on 4/12/2014Shanty cocktail hit the spot and not too sweet. The foie gras was simple and perfectly prepared. Sublime. Nice fresh picked baby green salad although a tad pricey at 13$. Main course left us under-impressed. Diver scallops looked delicious and nicely browned but the sauce overwhelmed their delicate taste. The flat bread pizza with portobello mushrooms, arugula and carmelized onion was short on the last two items and heavy on cheese. The complementary dish of cotton candy was too gimmicky for me. May as well have brought us packets of sugar, but what do I know the couple next to us got a bag to take home. All that said, I'd go back though, and have a drink, foie gras, salad and an app. Hold the cotton candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both my wife & I ordered thejimnancyDined on 4/12/2014Both my wife & I ordered the Federal Tasting, which is 7 courses selected by the Chef, which we also had paired with wine. This was one of our best dining experiences ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice time - good foodluckygirlDined on 4/11/2014Always delicious food and great service. I had the lobster risotto and it was great. My husband enjoyed the beer selection and his steak. The highlight of the meal was the dessert trio that had something for each of us to enjoy. It was a nice time with good atmosphere. Service was good as well. Try the bucket of balls if you are heading there for dinner!Special Features:
- The Federal - Always Awesome!JanineDined on 4/9/2014The food is always outstanding. We took out time to enjoy the evening and no one made us feel pressured to have to leave. The service was excellent. The desserts were to die for. I always look forward to time at The Federal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, will be backPickyfoodloverDined on 4/8/2014The Federal is a very good restaurant; the ambiance is wonderful, the food very good and the service always amazingly well trained on the menu and specials. This was the 2nd time I've been in for dinner and my only 2 "negative" comments would be 1) it was very very quiet- while not a weekend night there were only 7 tables including us the entire time we were there (7:15-9:30) and 2) the desserts are not fantastic. I usually don't have dessert but our dinners were good and I had high hopes- it was "ehh" the chocolate trio- which was 5 different tastings and toffee looked amazing- unfortunately only 2 were great, 1 good and 2 NOT. Overall I will definitely be back and recommend the Federal to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULAZDEBDined on 4/7/2014ALWAYS WONDERFUL, ALWAYS CONSISTANT, YET THEY CONTINUE TO SURPRISE US WITH NEW COMBINATIONS OF FOOD! OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014The service was first rate, considerate, attentive and not at all concerned about how long you wanted to linger all in all first rate. The food was good but not exceptional. Everything was well prepared and hot and nicely presented. The menu provided sufficent variety for most families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outdinneroutDined on 3/29/2014First time at the resturant and was very happy with the night. Atmosphere was energentic and fun in the bar and the dining was quiet and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Federal!bellaDined on 3/29/2014I love the Federal and dine there frequently.The food is always deliciious,the service is great and the atmosphere is comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will returnwinefanaticDined on 3/26/2014Food was awesome. Server, Chrissy, was fantastic, Main dining area is noisy. Lengthy delay in getting food from the kitchen No question we will return as there are too many items we want to trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightJohnnysMomDined on 3/24/2014When we arrived, the hostess who was so incredibly nice and welcoming, took us to our nice small table and took our coats for us. After we ordered the chef sent out a complimentary small appetizer- their risotto balls which are literally TO DIE FOR! We got our appetizers immediately and they were amazing. Our dinners came about 20 minutes later and they were absolutely delicious. We skipped on dessert but was brought out a small amount of fresh cotton candy (which I finished of course). Service was great and I loved the teamwork with all the staff. I have not one negative thing to say about this establishment. My husband and me will most definitely make The Federal our new "special occasion" spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkRoberts0917Dined on 3/21/2014Good service, good food, not enough parking, expensive & small servings
- Although the atmosphere wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014Although the atmosphere was very nice, I was not in love with the food. Seems like the menu is more about putting interesting things together rather than focusing on putting out really great tasting food.
- You cannot go wrong with anyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014You cannot go wrong with any of the food selections. You will have to return multiple times to try the different items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right to the top of our favesLuvtogooutDined on 3/21/2014This was our first visit to The Federal. We had heard good things and our expectations were greatly exceeded. From appetizers to dessert everything was awesome and the service was excellent. Already looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, ExcellentGooddiningDined on 3/17/2014Excellent food, Excellent service. I would highly recommend The Federal. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing servicePlayerDined on 3/14/2014We love The Federal. The food and service are always perfect. Every time. This evening was a birthday celebration and we were very disappointed. Slow all around-and when we had to sit with dinner dishes long after we were done we were nit happy. The service was not like we usually experience.Special Features:
- AwesomeFoodie143Dined on 3/11/2014The food combos were amazing, from start to finish the food combinations were interesting and extremely satisfying! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.