Hampton Street Vineyard
1201 Hampton Street
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hampton Street Vineyard
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hamptonstreetvineyard.com/
- Phone: 8032520850
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Murphy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Hampton Street Vineyard is available for private parties up to seventy people depending on your requirements. Through the years we have hosted many Wedding rehearsal dinners, corporate functions, sales meetings, and the National Trial Lawyers Association monthly dinners. We"ll rent you the whole place. Just let us know and we'll close our doors to the rest of the world for your special function. We also have the "Wine Room" available for smaller groups, this room will accommodate up to ten people and is available at no extra charge. It's a great place for you and your friends to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries or conduct small business and sales meetings. Please make reservations for this room as soon as possible because of the high demand.
- Private Party Contact: Leigh Talmadge 8032520850
A word from Hampton Street Vineyard
For fine dining in Columbia, SC, be sure to visit Hampton Street Vineyard. Our philosophy of food and wine is simple and straightforward. We use local products when possible, classic techniques at all times and make ourselves available to the influences of far-flung cuisines. Our menu changes quarterly in order to utilize each seasons unique offerings, keep the kitchen engaged and creative and of course to ensure your interest, entertainment and curiosity in this fine dining experience. Your server is well trained and passionate about food and wine. Please don’t hesitate to inquire about the preparation of our dishes or the nuances of our extensive wine list. Relax and enjoy. Thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hampton Street Vineyard - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Hampton Street Vineyard reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (37)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (28)romantic (27)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (9)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Hiidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014I don't know why but I frequently forget to include this restaurant when contemplating where to go. Big mistake. Food is excellent, wine list extensive and reasonably priced, even low end wines were a catch. Always consistent. Only slight downsides are noise and lack of immediate parking. For a dining experience I don't think it can be beat in Columbia. We will remember to remember from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Masters FeastLukeVIPDined on 4/12/2014We returned from a day at the Masters to a late dinner at The Hampton Street Vineyard. The service was terrific and food fabulous. I spent 10 years in Maryland and came to appreciate great crab cakes. The crab cakes at Hampton Street were better than many I have enjoyed. My son had the duck which he said was also terrific. The wine list was expensive and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodhamfredDined on 4/12/2014Excellent food, but not in a sophisticated foodie type way. The mussels were the star attraction. We couldn't get enough of delicious broth that came with them. The fried oysters were also delicious. Entrees were also very nice. Short Ribs, Filet, Duck and Shrimp and Grits were all enjoyed by our party. The service was a little spotty. Our waiter seemed a bit out of sorts. (Nearly spilling food and awkwardly attempting to engage our kids in chit chat.) He was also difficult to understand. That aside, I'd happily go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014This is a restaurant of great charm and delicious food and wine. Though relaxed in atmosphere, this classy restaurant has a sophisticated take on Southern food, such as the most succulent and light fried oysters we have ever had, and a black bean an andouille sausage soup that was delicious. This was followed by delicious duck breast with a bit of a Thai flavor, and beautifully cooked sea scallops. There were interesting wine offerings by the glass - good and not generic. Service was friendly and excellent. Whether you are local, or a visitor from out of town, if you like good food, Hampton Street Vineyard should be high on your list of places to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mandatory Tip?NickDined on 4/8/2014I travel to Columbia on business once or twice a month and always eat at this restaurant. The food is very good and the service, depending on the waiter, is also. My partner and I ate there this week and to our surprise, noted the tip was already included in our bill. The tip was 20%. Our service was ok, but I thought we both had to request drink refills, etc., more than usual as the wait staff usually can see an emplty glass and refill them ( non-alcoholic drinks). At any rate...it was a surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticfoodieDined on 4/5/2014Wonderful ambience, great service, delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hampton Street Vineyard isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014Hampton Street Vineyard is always good and very consistent. I arranged dinner for a group of 10 co-workers from out of town and everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014We had an enjoyable meal. Very good food (I had the duck) followed by tiramisu. Decent wine list. Nice ambiance, not the usual barn-like room. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in ColumbiaHurrahDined on 3/18/2014As usual, the Hampton Street Vineyard produced outstanding seafood; almost up to Charleston gourmet standards. I regard it as the best in Columbia. My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary there. The sauces are outstanding and the Shrimp & Grits, Mahi Mahi and Crusty Flounder are among the best to be found. Veggies are slightly crunchy and fresh. No Columbia restaurant has a more extensive (and expensive) wine offering so make it a special event. The dress is casual for a fine restaurant. The only downside is that the ceramic flooring, hard walls and reflective ceiling makes the ambiance very loud so you could not call it a romantic environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSueMVIPDined on 3/6/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. The wine list is a little overwhelming but our group selected 2 bottles in our price range and they were both really good. The bartender/manager even came over and offered a few ideas which helped. If you want to spend $20 or $200 this place has a bottle of wine for you. Our server was great - very funny and informative. The food was really good and comforting on a cold, rainy day. Exactly what we needed!Special Features:
- Wonderful each and every time,KarenVIPDined on 2/24/2014I eat here regularly and have never had a bad experience with food, service, or ambience! A wonderful choice!!Special Features:
- Business DinnerBizdinerDined on 2/18/2014Great Location, nice atmosphere, great food and wine. Only "issue" is that once the tables began to fill up it became very loud and difficult to converse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-Valentine's Day CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014Waiting a couple of days to celebrate Valentine's Day was certainly the right thing to do at Hampton Street Vineyard. Great food, great wine, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take one dayMsKourtneyDined on 2/15/2014Very nice spot. I'm from Columbia and never new about them. We went for Valentines dinner and had a great time. Food was great and served in a very timely manner. Great atmosphere for couples. Wine was delectable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedkitchenadmirerDined on 2/15/2014wasn't sure what to expect but went with an open mind. started out with a fretful 8 minutes or so with no sign of anyone to take our drink order but once that occurred everything went wonderfully. Service ended up great, food was delicious and timely. The flash fried oysters were a bit hit!. Pleasant evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine listPseudoWineSnobDined on 2/15/2014I visited Hampton Street Vineyard specifically because of it reputation for wines. The wine list had hundreds of wines from low cost to moderately high priced. The sommelier recommended a wine to fit my evening's desire - a very high end red. The waitress recommended food combinations to complement the wine. The result was a truly memorable experience. I spent a fraction of what I was prepared to pay for the evening but was completely satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of ColumbiaColaFoodieDined on 2/14/2014I made reservations for Valentines Day and my wife loved it. I would have agreed whole heartedly, but I was a little unimpressed with the cheese plate: chive-cheddar, port infused Gouda, and another infused hard cheese - I expected more variety. Our waitress was impatient and rude and did little to enhance our evening. But I won't let a waitress and an unimpressive app ruin an otherwise great restaurant and would recommend to anyone who asks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown gemjohnDined on 2/14/2014Always great food. Oysters are killer good. Service very good. Nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Had dinner at Hampton St Vineyard again. We travel to Columbia to visit college daughter and we always eat there. We LOVE the fried oysters. Please keep this on the menu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/7/2014We eat at Hampton Street Vineyard semi regularly, and every experience is great. They change the menu around every few months, it seems. We ordered a cheese plate to begin, and the cheese portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDrTKDined on 2/5/2014The first table we were seated at was in a small wine storage area and the only other table was occupied by an apparent business dinner with a party of six. It was noisy and not conducive to a quiet dinner conversation. We requested to be moved and it was at a better table in the main dining area. Wait staff was courteous and helpful, but a little inattentive as the evening progressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014"I love the relaxed feel of this place - like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The flash fried oyster appetizer was fabulous as were my guest's crab cakes appetizer. The mahi mahi was cooked to perfection and the roast pork was scrumptious with its amazing stuffing. I will definitely return and recommend Hampton Street Vineyard to others looking for a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites.HuskyVIPDined on 1/31/2014Hampton Street has an excellent wine list and the best flash fried oysters I've had.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatNickDined on 1/27/2014On a rare snowy night in January, the Vineyard stayed open and served it's customers, unlike most other restaurants in Columbia that closed without a flake of snow on the ground. They have great waiters and for two nights in a row we enjoyed great food and service from "Steve". The portions are remarkably large and the food is very tasty. Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceRichardDined on 1/27/2014My colleagues and I enjoyed our lunch at Hampton Street Vineyard. The menu offered interesting choices and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing mealLuv2trynuDined on 1/24/2014We enjoyed a great dinner with friends. Excellent service and food. The encrusted flounder was delicious! The atmosphere was fairly quite and relaxing.Special Features:
- Great spot for those who wantDrBrittsDined on 1/24/2014Great spot for those who want a great wine selection. They also had an extensive list of liquors. The food was good but I think this place is definitely more popular due to the drinks and bar scene. I have recommended to my wine lover friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!AUJenny3DDined on 1/23/2014The service and food were wonderful. The wine list was fabulous. Great place for a romantic date or an intimate night out with friends.Special Features:
- Great night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014We've been going to this restaurant for nearly 20 yrs now, and it never fails us. This was a special night, celebrating our son's engagement. HSV always has a great menu, always has a great lamb and a special pork dish, usually in a french country style, and both were excellent. The wine list is exceptional. Although you can go to any extreme you like, there are numerous low cost gems on the list too. Great night out all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finish..HolleyVIPDined on 1/18/2014The FOOD! Oh wow! We had a table of 4 and we all agreed that our dishes were delicious! We started with a special appetizer - flash fried oysters. Perfect! Then each of us had different entrees: Mahi Mahi, pot roast, short ribs and I had the salmon over shrimp risotto. It was all coked to perfection and we couldn't stop talking about how perfect the food was. A great place for dinner with friends or a special occasion spot. The service was just right and the ambiance is upscale but not uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice birthday meal...ClemsonGirlDined on 1/17/2014We took our daughter & her husband to dinner at HSVFriday night for her birthday. Our meal was very good - my son-in-law told us he didn't like oysters any way, shape, or form but was willing to try the appetizer fried oysters..well..he found the 1st oysters he really DID like. My only concern was something I freely admit was my fault..I had just gotten a glass of procesco and I knocked it over. The table was small for 4 people & my menu hit my glass. It was very evident that we had a spill as several people helped clean up..I was surprised I was charged for that glass that spilled. It would have been a nice gesture if they had not charged me. Not a lot of money for either of us but the good will would have gone a long way.
- Good food in heart of ColumbiaTGrellaDined on 1/17/2014I had a perfectly cooked, and quite uniquely prepared duck breast entree. Wine list was one of the best I have seen in a South Carolina restaurant. The menu was very diverse with some typical South Carolina dishes. My wife ordered the crab cakes, which she thoroughly enjoyed. We both highly recommend for dinner in the heart of downtown Columbia.Special Features:
- Consistently outstandingMAH63Dined on 1/11/2014Hampton always delivers. Consistently outstanding food and service. If you are looking for a quiet, intimate environment then look elsewhere. It is energetic but normal conversation is not an issue, even on a busy Saturday night. The wine list is incredible and the servers are well-versed about the selections. Definitely one of the top 3 restaurants in Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out for dinnerfak007Dined on 1/11/2014We had a great dinner all of our entrees were good tasting and cooked well. However, skip the desserts. I had the bread pudding which was highly recommended by the waitress, but it came to our table cold in the middle and too many cranberries. The texture was more like bread and not much like a "bread pudding" . When it comes to bread pudding, texture is everything. . And we also ordered the coffee creme brulee. Everyone at the table felt that there was no flavor and it was very bland. They have a tremendous wine list that a wine connoisseur would love!Special Features:
- Hampton Street VineyardhappyDined on 1/11/2014We ate in the wine room. Very cozy and quiet. Service was excellent, waitress was very friendly and added much to our experience. Very sorry to not remember her name. Food was fantastic, best short ribs that I ever ate. Host was a little different, but pleasant. Will go again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, solid food & experienceKateDined on 1/4/2014Girls night was very nice at this fancy restaurant. Prices a little expensive but food was very good, making it worth it. Great wine selection and waiter was able to help us choose. I ordered the braised lamb, which you can't find just anywhere. It was fantastic, but my friend ordered the short ribs which were even more amazing! Make sure at least someone at your table orders that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was spectacular fromBsudsDined on 12/31/2013The food was spectacular from the appetizers to the dessert. We weren't kept waiting in between courses and delightfully engaged by the staff throughout our meal. The menu delivered a solid variety without overwhelming you with too many choices. Highly recommended for a fancy dinner outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VineyardPhilDined on 12/20/2013Maybe slightly skewd due to the company I was with on this evening. I did find the service a little too informal. Bordering on the unprofessional. A little to loud for my tastes. Great food, great wine. On thise strengths this place is definately worth a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyhumanDined on 12/19/2013Acoustics are not good. Conversation was difficult and at moments impossible due to background chatter. They need to incorporate some sound absorbing material into the ceiling, wall, and/or floors. The flounder was partly mushy rather than flakey. The green beans were tough and could not be cut with the table knife. The salmon and steak dishes received good reviews from others in my party of 3.
- great restaurant &special ambiencesassyDined on 12/14/2013You feel like you are in NYC----stepping down into this lovely restaurant and enjoying a delicious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.