5300 Sidney Simon's Blvd #14
Columbus, GA 31904Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benschophouse.net/
- Phone: 7062560466
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday thru Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Dinner Friday thru Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Bar stays open later.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call 706-256-0466 for details.
- Entertainment: Live music Wednesday thru Saturday
- Special Events: Birthday, Business Events, Meetings and Special Occasions
A word from Ben's Chophouse
Welcome to Ben’s Chophouse, Columbus’ favorite for the best hand-cut steaks and freshest seafood around. We hope you enjoy your visit with us whether for a great time with friends and family or an upscale business dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ben's Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Columbus ›
Ben's Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (10)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- The waiter was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012The waiter was excellent and attended all request. This was I and my spouse 4th visit, and each time was excellent.
- Passing through, very impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/13/2012I live in Atlanta and was passing through Columbus for business. I took a complete chance on Ben's with a party of 5 and was very happy. The food was excellent and the service was even better. I highly recommend the place if you are a local or just passing through.
- Good, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012Live entertainment was very good, though difficult to hear clearly from the dining areas. The price is steep for much of the menu. I dont mind paying premiums for premium quality food and service, but this is more like a premium menu that is cooked fairly well, with average quality and delivered with average service.
- Ben's is a great place toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2012Ben's is a great place to gather large groups or just one on one. The food is good, service is EXCELLENT and the wine list has just the right mix for varied tastes.Special Features:
- Food was ok, waiter was tooOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2012Food was ok, waiter was too "johny on the spot" came bay too often, too fast.I was impressed that they offered a wide variety on their menu, but there was no prime rib, at a Chop house, are you kidding me? I have maybe one prime rib per year, and i thought this was going to be the place. Alas no, and the table/decor looksed so generic/stoic. Fresh flowers on the tables was nice.
- I live in Florida and periodicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2012I live in Florida and periodically go to Columbus on business. I have eaten at Ben's several times and it has always been excellent. Good service, good food and friendly enviroment.
- My family and I went to Ben'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/6/2012My family and I went to Ben's for dinner on Friday evening. We decided on Ben's because it is a steak house and we wanted to have a nice steak. Well when we got ready to order we were told they were out of steak. We wanted to order the prime rib special and a T-bone they did not have either one. We also didn't know that there is a live band on the weekends. It was very loud. We left and our service was not that great either. Also it didn't seem to kid friendly and the menu for the kids was very limited.
- Great food! I cut my steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2011Great food! I cut my steak with my fork. Wonderful.Special Features:
- Food was great but waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011Food was great but waitress would disappear. We has a group of 12 and half of the entrees came out and it was 10 - 15 minutes later when the rest of the food came out. So, the first entrees cooled off while we waited for everyone else's food to arrive. It took 45 minutes for the waitress to bring our check. We paid for the entire group so there was only 1 check.Special Features:
- Expensive, food was average,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/25/2011Expensive, food was average, and very little ambiance considering the price.
- I had a late dinner on a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2011I had a late dinner on a business trip. The food was good. I had the filet, mashed potatoes and a salad. Prices were fair for the quality of food. I can't really give a fair rating on ambiance or service due to being one of the few people in there during their last open hour. The service could have been a little better, but again, near closing time so I'll give some slack. I'd go back.
- Everything was very good.stacyDined on 8/15/2011Everything was very good. I will say that the prices were a little high... the Grouper was $36! Same price as lobster tails. So for the market and being in a strip center, the prices were a little excessive. But food very good, service great, good wine.Special Features:
- What a great discovery inOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/22/2011What a great discovery in Columbus, GA. Took my son who just graduated Basic Training at Ft. Benning so it was a special occasion. The steak was great especially the Bone-in Filet Mignon. The Surf and Turf was also great and the lobster was especially delicious. A little pricey for the area, but I recommend it highly. And I will go back whenever I am in the area.Special Features:
- thought the new york stripOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2011thought the new york strip steak was too expensive and tasted like a steak you could get anywhere. the baked potato was not cooked enough.
- The hostess was uncaring andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2011The hostess was uncaring and even ignored us on the way out. Service was excellent. The waiter was knowledgable and appropriately attentive. Our fried crab cake starter tasted mostly of filler and the beef, while tender and flavorful, was overpriced. We've had Prime for about the same price. We were 2 people and only were provided 3 rolls (which were good)though enough butter for 4 rolls. The wine pour was appropriate for the price. Noise level, music (not dinner music at all) and clattering plates, etc, was so high as to make conversation a bit difficult - and we were at the back of the dining room. We're unlikely to return. Finally we noted on our reservation that this was our 42nd wedding aniversary dinner and no one even mentioned it
- We had 7 people on a busyKLCVDined on 6/3/2011We had 7 people on a busy Friday night at the restaurant. We had a small wait for our table but not a problem. Waiter was very good as was the food. If in Columbus area and want a nice dinner, I would recommend Ben's.
- Great tasting food...appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2011Great tasting food...appetizers are very appealing.Special Features:
- Date Night DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2011My husband and I chose to enjoy our date night dinner at Ben's and it was outstanding. We have dined at Ben's before and have always enjoyed it. My husband enjoyed the bone-in filet and I had the filet medallion, both of which were amazing. We shared a bowl of the delicious lobster bisque to start. I cannot wait to visit Ben's again.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant but betterskygodVIPDined on 4/13/2011Nice restaurant but better for family groups and larger gatherings. Very noisy and the service was not good the night we were there.Special Features:
- I liked the feel of the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/25/2011I liked the feel of the restaurant. I loved their onion rings they were perfectly cooked and the dipping sauce was good. I did not care for my entree. The meat could have been better seasoned however the portion size was more than enough. I will most definitely revisit again and try something different from the menu. Overall my experience was a good one.Special Features:
- The service and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011The service and atmosphere were wonderful. The two complaints we had: We made reservations and arrived on time, but had to wait for a table to get up before being seated. Also, the $40 veal was gamey and had to be sent back. However, the band (Jamie and Christina) were excellent and provided a nice ambiance, and our service was top notch.Special Features:
- Bill from ATLOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/16/2011Everything about the food was great. Great Service, Great Steak, I would just prefer a bit more light in the place. it was very dark and not in a Romantic way. It is hard to pull off Dark, Noisy, Loud Live Music, and Romantic all in the same setting. Excellent food though!Special Features:
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011The food was delicious, but the service was slow at refilling our drinks. People who came in after us received their food before us.Special Features:
- Ben's Chophouse was recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Ben's Chophouse was recommended by a friend. The food was excellent,as well as the service. I will be returning.Special Features:
- Why Bother with a Reservation?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011The restaurant did not do a very good job of honoring the reservation I had made for Valentine's day. Then when I was seated, my wife and I were issued a table in the bar area. When we 1st arrived, there were several good tables in the bar area, but we opted to wait for something in the restaurant. When I inquired, we were seated at a table for 8 in the bar and then had 2 ladies who were placed opposite us a the same table. The waitress was not notified we had been seated and she proceeded to take the drink orders and the food orders for our table quests before even speaking to my wife and I. I will end by saying the food and the drinks were very good, but it was not the romantic Valentine's night dinner I had expected.
- They provided excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011They provided excellent service and friendly staff. We didn't have the crowding of empty glasses like in other "high class" restaurants and the food was superb! Perfect location for our valentine's diner! I literally felt my taste buds explode! They also were very generous with the amount of food provided, we didn't have room for desert! Waiter was able to provide my husband with a very good scotch for him to try for the first time. Needless to say we will be returning and my husband is now a scotch lover!Special Features:
- Ben's Chop House is a revelation.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011Ben's Chop House is a revelation. I had eaten at this building many years ago when it was another restaurant. I'm not sure how long Ben's has been there but I hope it's there for a very long time! The food, service and ambience were great. Two for Valentine's got out of there with three drinks each, appetizer, salads, GREAT steaks for about 100 clams! I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Food was great. Dessert containedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011Food was great. Dessert contained all things wonderful--chocolate, pecans, caramel, toffee. Wait staff was generally friendly but the "hostess" not only failed to greet us, she said "it will be while" without even looking up. When I mentioned that we had a reservation, she seemed annoyed but did at least make eye contact & take my name, if only to repeat her previous statement. I'm not sure if this person was the actual hostess or maybe she was just having a bad day. The next person who came up seemed much more pleasant. Although there is a kid's menu, I wouldn't necessarily call it "kid friendly." It's a nice ambiance--dim lighting, pretty good band, warm feeling--but not quite the place for our 3 yr old despite being listed as such.Special Features:
- Ben's is a great place -OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2011Ben's is a great place - excelent food - good live enertainment if you want it or just a nice environment if you don't.Special Features:
- I booked online and receivedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2011I booked online and received exactly what I asked for... a table by the entertainment and in view of the tv for watching the football game. I will definitely return and have already recommended it to friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful great tasting meals.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010Wonderful great tasting meals. We don't drink alcoholic drinks and the wine tasting and bar do not appeal to us - we enjoy the great food and atmosphere. We introduced a couple who are friends of ours to Ben's Chophouse who had never heard of the restaurant this past New Years Eve and had a great time with feeling rushed to eat and get.Special Features:
- Quality of filet was far lessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2010Quality of filet was far less than expected. Never seen a filet so thin. Never seen a filet cut that way. Asparagus was just ok. Rolls were good. Wine list was so very pathetic. Greeting girl was not at all interested in her guest as she was distracted by a friend. I stood there for over a minute in plain sight and she was so enamured with her friend we just went ignored. Once she awakened we were treated like a bad dream. The gentleman that waited on us was the only saving grace. Ambiance? What ambiance? Outside is as good as it gets. When we left, not one person said good-bye or thanks. I've been to Chop Houses all over the US and unfortunately you're at or near the bottom.
- Wife loved the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2010Wife loved the atmosphere and the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- My first time eating at Ben'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2010My first time eating at Ben's and it was my birthday...our service was horrible...had to look for our server several times....the food was ok...but not a good value for the price. We waited for our meal for over an hour from the time we ordered...I had several friends celebrating with me..there were 11 total and our bill even with a 15% discount and 8 free irish coffees was well over $300. I probably will never eat here again and would never recommend it to anyone. A huge letdown for ur birthday.Special Features:
- The food was just ok. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/27/2010The food was just ok. The salmon was good but it still had the skin on the bottom. The New york strip had a lot of fat on it.Special Features:
- Enjoyed meals here two nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2010Enjoyed meals here two nights in a row while visiting. The first night the experience was better due to the server who was great. The second night the place very a lot busier which probably caused a slight decrease in the service level. The food was good on both occasions, and there are some gems in their wine list, especially the Educated Guess pinot noir.
- Ben's is a great place toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2010Ben's is a great place to enjoy a casual dinner. We especially enjoy the live music!Special Features:
- This was a fun experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2010This was a fun experience with a group of friends. I enjoyed the wines, the appetizers, and the music.
- I would not suggest this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2010I would not suggest this place to family or friends. The service and scene were great as a piano bar, however the food left a lot to be desired. Our party order soup and salad, the soup was alright but need seasoning, the salad was bagged lettuce with 2 cucumber slices and a piece or fish or chicken. I am glad we did not pay for a larger entree.Special Features: