Acacia Bistro & Wine Bar
4340 Connecticut Ave. NW.
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Acacia Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acaciabistro.com/
- Phone: 202-537 1040x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3.30pm,
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Spanish, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call us for special catering menu.
A word from Acacia Bistro & Wine Bar
We specialize in Mediterranean Food emphasizing Italian, Spanish, French, Turkish Cuisine all of which can be paired with our extensive collection of 70 plus wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Acacia Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Van Ness ›
Acacia Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (12)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (9)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)special occasion (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great big bowl of okay.NoVaDinerDined on 6/6/2013We had the 3 cheese and meat charcuterie boards then ordered 3 dishes from the small plates. Their by the glass selection was pretty good however the first glass I had was a bit off like the bottle had been opened for a while. I didn't send it back just switched to something else afterwards. They were out of the blue cheese but the rest of the selections were nice. Of the small plates the risotto was good nothing special but not bad. The gnocchi however was not, they were greasy and the mushrooms completely overshadowed the honey and white truffle. By far the best dish was the shrimp on a bed of paprika aioli and bulger wheat. While it was fine, it was overpriced. For the money there are too many great restaurants to return there.
- Not What I expectedGWpfVIPDined on 5/31/2013Had read a number of good reviews of this restaurant in otherwise restaurant desert near Van Ness. Went at lunch and food and service were subpar, not busy either. Not worth a visit unless you are in need of something in the neighborhood.
- Fabulous FoodBabspDined on 5/23/2013Unbelievably great food. Four "small plates" more than adequate for two people. The kale salad and Brussel sprouts were superbly prepared and served, as were the other two dishes. A truly wonderful AND healthy dining experience. GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/20/2013We've been going to Acacia Bistro ever since it opened. We usually order a variety of small plates rather than entrees; salads are always good. The chef goes heavy on salt but is happy to oblige salt-free requests. Desserts can be hit-or-miss: tart shells tend to be thick and on the hard side. Try the berry cobbler if it's on the menu; the ricotta walnut cake was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificMarjorieDined on 5/18/2013The food was delicious - the lentil soup, the salad, the risotto...it was perfect for a graduation dinner and for my parents to meet and talk with my boyfriend's parents!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/12/2013We went to Acacia for post-graduation Brunch. We waited 45mins. just to order. Had to ask for water after 45min. Horribly understaffed. The food was good, but the experience was the worst!,,,
- Bad experience on Mother's DayDanSDined on 5/12/2013Went to Mother's Day brunch. Apparently, two of their staff did not show up and the result was a disaster. Very slow service, very disorganized. With 3 kids, it was a nightmare! They were very apologetic, but seemed incapable of making any adjustments. Maybe just bad luck....but if they had handled it better, I might have given it another chance....but I won't.
- Perfect spot for our TGIF!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2013Came here after work with a group of work friends and we really enjoyed ourselves! We all decided to get a few small plates so we could try out a few things as well as some drinks. The wines we a hit as well as the mojitos with fresh mint grown from the restaurant's own herb garden! For small plates we tried the cigar börek (turkish cheese pastry) which was on special, the oven-roasted brussel sprout dish, the hand-toasted ricotta gnocchi with wild mushrooms and the vegetable risotto. All were fantastic! Really incredible! Then we decided to split the chocolate ganache tart which comes out deliciously warm with a side of homemade vanilla bean ice cream. I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our meal! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neigborhood gemcaroleVIPDined on 5/1/2013In a neighborhood (Van Ness) where there are almost no restaurants for grownups, Acacia is a gem. They have great mediterranean food, many interesting specials, and delicious desserts. It is a lovely atmosphere and they also have outside tables when the weather is warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little find!Fabulous2dineVIPDined on 4/30/2013Close to Dutch Embassy and a great place to have a quick meal before attending an event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in the neighborhood...DrDaveVIPDined on 4/27/2013excellent menu, much improved in the last year. service could have been a little more attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming maitre d' from Istanbul.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013Charming maitre d' from Istanbul. Great service; very good food.Special Features:
- Great food - poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2013Food was fantastic. Great menu! Trying to "get by" with one server during lunch will loose them move customers than worth the labor $. It took over 2 hours for lunch - we weren't in a rush but, the delay between ordering appetizers/delivery and re-checks after entree were VERY noticeable. Would only recommend if not in a rush or not trying to impress a client.Special Features:
- Really a pleasant surprise.GeneVIPDined on 4/13/2013Really a pleasant surprise. A neighborhood restaurant that is much more than it appears! We will go back.Special Features:
- Great spot for dining in Van NessSheriDined on 4/13/2013Food was creative, well-prepared. Sad that the tap beers weren't available. Amazing dessert selections.Special Features:
- Acacia is our go-to neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Acacia is our go-to neighborhood place. The current chef is more adventurous than the founder, but the food is still very good - especially the specials. They tend to go heavy on the salt. I ask for no salt and it comes out fine. Desserts are hit-or-miss. Last time 2 of 3 desserts (berry cobbler and chocolate ganache) were very good, pecan pie was so-so. The cobbler was baked to order.Special Features:
- Acacia is a lovely bistro,caroleVIPDined on 3/23/2013Acacia is a lovely bistro, with very good food, and a wonderful feel to it. The waiters are very helpful, and we are very fortunate to have this gem in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Acacia Bistro wants to beProntomacVIPDined on 3/20/2013Acacia Bistro wants to be a neighborhood place with good food and drink. It is an attractive place with a nice bar and very outstanding bartender. Acacia has a decent Happy Hour until 7:30pm with nice nibbles at the bar area. The owner is omnipresent, and that can be very helpful. Acacia is still evolving--and doing so in the right direction.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/13/2013We had a wonderful dinner -- the food was excellent and the service very attentive. The menu provides a range of options, with fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- The owner is wonderful - caringfoodieVIPDined on 3/4/2013The owner is wonderful - caring and attentive to all the needs of his customers.
- This was our first time backOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2013This was our first time back since the original manager left, and althought some of the food was good, other courses were lacking. The wait staff is nice but quite disorganized, particularly the manager. The tables were not completely filled on a Saturday night, but each request seemed overwhelming to the untrained staff. I don't think we will return soon.Special Features:
- Once was even betterrobertadcVIPDined on 2/22/2013Service was excellent--particularly wine recommendations and samplings. My chicken coq au vin was plentiful, but a bit more salty and oily than I would have preferred. My guest ordered the Moroccan tagiene, which she said was "ok". This is a very nice neighborhood spot, but should not be thought of as gourmet. I will come again, but that is largely based on its location, ambience and service--not the dinner.Special Features:
- A total disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013This place was an absolute disappointment. My wife and I went there for dinner on Valentines and we were nothing more than disappointed with the quality of their food, ambience of the place (or the lack there of, I should say) and price. We spent $160, which could have been spent elsewhere. Will never return to this restaurant or recommend to anyone, ever.
- A simply wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013My wife and I were blown away with Acacia Bistro. Both of us have worked with restaurants, she all over DC. The owner/manager was on the scene, making sure in a quiet professional way that all was going smoothly. Superb cuisine. An uncanny wine list for a small restaurant. Staff was unusually well trained. All in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Restaurant week features scaled1234Dined on 2/6/2013Restaurant week features scaled back items from regular menu -- and very limited options. Ambiance was like a Baskin and Robins ice cream shop. Service was poor: one waiter for the entire area. I've been told that al fresco dining is lovely there. The interior is not.
- Washington Restaurant WeekRichDined on 2/5/2013Wait staff very attentive. Recommended a very nice red wine to accompany the meal. Service pace was excellent.Special Features:
- Duck ragout with papardelleIsisVIPDined on 1/30/2013Duck ragout with papardelle pasta was underwhelming and tasted ducky-y. Not palatable at all and felt it was not properly cooked or seasoned. The dark meat of the duck was better tasting than the white, but overall was not a good dish
- Food was good. Having readOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/19/2013Food was good. Having read reviews on-line, I was expecting better. It was very slow. Service was not good.
- An unexpected pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/11/2013We chose Acacia for the location but were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The pear salad special and butter lettuce salad were good. The beet and sweet potato salad (really a kind of terrine on greens) could have used more salt but was an interesting combination. The scallops and the duck ragu were both quite savory and satisfying; the shrimp pasta special was good but could have used stronger seasoning. The dark chocolate tart was excellent. Wines choices were pretty interesting. The staff was pleasant, competent, and attentive. Not much atmosphere here, but we enjoyed the relative quiet from our table near the back. We think this counts as a "neighborhood gem" and hope to be back.Special Features:
- I think they do an excellentnateVIPDined on 1/8/2013I think they do an excellent job and a very interesting menu---some unusual selections. The outdoor eating is really quite nice---sheltered from the street and facing a side street.Special Features:
- We made a very late reservationLongTimeFansVIPDined on 1/2/2013We made a very late reservation on Jan 2nd during a "slow restauant night" and they responded by providing excellent meals and service, staying late to serve us after all other guests had left.Special Features:
- The service was very goodJoseph124VIPDined on 12/24/2012The service was very good and attentive until, at the end of our meal, our waiter was replaced by another who came with the check. We two had asked for separate checks and he said he would deal with it. He returned to our table at least twice to ask questions about the checks, took our credit cards, and returned with a charge to the person who had the least food which was almost double that of the person who had the most food. Not impressive! - which shouldn't put anyone off this restaurant. It's not happened before and the food is really very good.
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2012The food was great and the wine selection was also wonderful. The happy hour menu is a real treat, too! great food and wine selection for both menus. However, the fact that I wasnt recorded as having checked in for my reservation--despite being one of 4 people in the restaurant, is disappointed. the service was not good, the waiter kept forgetting about us and there was confusion over who was serving us. Overall, sub-par service, great food.Special Features:
- We have visited several times.WUCsFavoritesDined on 12/7/2012We have visited several times. The food is inventive and delicious. The service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Good spacing of tables indinerDined on 12/7/2012Good spacing of tables in relatively quiet room makes it easy to visit
- Service was excellent. OurrobertadcVIPDined on 12/7/2012Service was excellent. Our waiter knew the menu was helpful with suggestions to meet our dietary restrictions. She had wonderful sense of timing and let us sit and talk while still watching for clues as to when we wanted attention. We shared three small plates, and the liver was the star, with the vegetable rissoto also an excellent choice. Acacia Bistro is a wonderful asset to the Van Ness/UDC neighborhood. Give it a try!Special Features:
- We chose this place becauseLawrenceofSuburbiaVIPDined on 12/7/2012We chose this place because it was mutually convenient for our meeting. The food was excellent. Servers were very attentive and knowledgeable. Place has a very nice easy feel. Lots of interesting choices on the lunch menu and the desserts looked great though we didn't indulge as our meals were substantial and filling. I will definitely return with other friends.Special Features:
- This was a birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/1/2012This was a birthday celebration and we were treated well. The food is excellent. The service is sometimes a bit slow, but it is worth the wait.Special Features:
- Our table was not ready -OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Our table was not ready - they didn't have any record of our Open Table reservation. Had to wait for tables to be put together to seat 4. Service was not as good as usual. Interesting seasonal menu.Special Features:
- Excellent food and attentivepickydinerDined on 11/20/2012Excellent food and attentive service both my visits.Special Features: