Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 6175325300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar is named simply after our farmer, built on the ideal of bringing guests closer to the farm. Chef Jeremy Sewall offers a daily changing menu with a raw bar featuring Island Creek Oysters and an updated, seasonal selection of New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Island Creek Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Kenmore Square / Fenway ›
Island Creek Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
411 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (256)special occasion (186)hot spot (183)vibrant bar scene (169)good for groups (136)neighborhood gem (123)notable wine list (109)romantic (98)late-night find (68)great for brunch (51)great for lunch (51)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Food was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014It was our first time there and we loved it! Great wine, food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fourzsfourzsDined on 7/19/2014Great dinner, great waitress, great service! Expensive but worth it - great for a special night out. Valet parking was an added expense but worth not having to drive around to find a parking spot. We will definitely do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in TownbrunchbirdDined on 7/18/2014Island Creek is a favorite of my family's, and we always go there when they are in town. Basically, it has the best seafood in town, an amazing raw oyster bar, and a great ambiance, although it can get a little loud. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- The new hotspot!!Foodieguy13VIPDined on 7/15/2014How do you shout out... Just don't go!! Food bland!!! Bar staff non-attentive and confused!! Breaded oyster sliders like frozen fish stick. Lobster noodles just fishy limp bad pasta!! Seafood casserole has limited taste... Falls flat !!! Lastly, even the kids could tell you the clam chowder just wasn't right!!! Such a beautiful space... Expect it to be out of business in a few years!!!
- Fabulous mealsouthendfoodieDined on 7/15/2014The menu at ICOB is always fresh, unique, and as local as possible. There are favorites I get every time I go, shrimp cocktail, biscuits, and the clam chowder, and the specials always provide an unexpected treat. The chef here is extremely talented, absolutely best seafood in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, better servicetravlindinerDined on 7/13/2014From the moment we walked in, to the moment we left -- the service was really excellent. Our initial waitress made some really good beer and wine suggestions, and then our main waiter did the same for our food selections. The raw oysters were very nice, my wife loved the chowder, and we shared the lobster pasta -- which I can highly recommend. The house biscuit was HUGE, and quite good, although ours was a bit doughy inside (and our waiter comped the biscuit because of this -- apparently even though the pastry had a perfect golden hue on the outside, this can still happen to professionals...and they were quite apologetic). My wife is still giving raving reviews of this place to her coworkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters are sooooooo super great!!!AliceVIPDined on 7/13/2014Don't miss the oysters!!!!Definitely super great!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchTrePazziVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food was great! However, service was disorganized (long time to get drinks)Special Features:
- Great BrunchSB4diningVIPDined on 7/13/2014We had Sunday Brunch here and loved it. The ICOB egg sandwich was delicious. We also had the mushroom quiche and thought it was divine. The pastries were unique and we tried a couple. Although they are noted for their oysters, we did not try them at breakfast, but will definately go back another visit to have oysters. Service was great and we had a lovely Sunday morning here. Thanks ICOB!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster HeavenLoveAGreatMealDined on 7/12/2014If you're looking for some of the best oysters in town this is the place to go. Everything on the menu looks delicious and after eating my meal I could honestly say that everything probably is delicious. Seriously eat as much as possible, everything was fantastic. The atmosphere is very relaxing and feels like Restoration Hardware did the interior design. You'll walk out feeling like you're the King of the Sea, enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceJCToastersDined on 7/12/2014The drinks were good, and the food was great! I recommend the oyster sliders and the lobster roe noodles! The oysters were also fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They came for the oysters...FamilyManDined on 7/11/2014Took the whole family for oysters since we were staying at the Hotel Commonwealth, which is adjacent. The oysters were very good as was the other food that we ordered. The service was also very good and attentive. As a side note, we were very happy to see that they serve the Mexican Coke that is made with cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup. Overall it was busy and seemed like a popular place. The decor is modern with a pleasant seaside theme. We would certainly go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsGomijoDined on 7/10/2014Oysters very good, clams O.K., the shrimps a complete desaster. Strong taste of antibiotics, simply horrible, hence decided to stop the dining experience after one bite. Energetic scene, if you want to go for the oysters, however bring a ski jacket as this place is cooled down as a ski day in Vermont.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Great oysters. A must visit in Boston. Enjoyed the drinks as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Fresh foodjp007Dined on 7/9/2014Greeted my very friendly and warm hosts upon entering. Showed up very early for my reservation, but they were able to seat me right away. My waitress was nice enough but didn't seem very friendly at all. That was the only downside. The oysters were incredibly fresh. Delicious! Oyster slider was also very good.Special Features:
- Island creek oyster barsacco62Dined on 7/9/2014a very modern looking place. Very good oysters and clam chowder. the service was very attentive and friendly. I went there in the early afternoon to beat the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Lovers DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Very extensive seafood menu. It's all about the fish! I had halibut and my date had salmon, both delicious and served HOT off the grill. Service was excellent, food was excellent; however, I thought it was a bit pricey and very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikezotDined on 7/8/2014Don't let the name fool you -- Island Creek is much more than an oyster bar; it offers a wide range of seafood dishes (lunch and dinner menu items change daily) and a long roomy bar. It's one of two restaurants in the Hotel Commonwealth (the other is Eastern Standard), and just a few steps from the T station (but, if you're driving, it offers valet parking). If going there on game day (when the Red Sox are at home), be sure to make a reservation -- it gets jammed 2-3 hours before the first pitch.Special Features:
- mellenVIPDined on 7/7/2014Oysters were fantastic as always. Island Creek are my favorites. Excellent halibut - perfectly cooked and accompanied by corn, chanterelles and tomatoes. Some interesting new Austrian wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, personal attentionsusieDined on 7/7/2014This restaurant is my favorite. The food is always good with much of it locally sourced and always nicely prepared and presented. The chef responds to special requests made because of allergies, medical issues, or personal taste. It is sometimes hard to get a reservation, but I guess that is testimony to my review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service. Would not go backjalexVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food was good, but the service was so poor we will not go back.
- Oysters!Love2eatVIPDined on 7/6/2014Oysters are amazing! Great food and wine! Definitely one of our favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersmvygirlVIPDined on 7/6/2014Oysters for brunch, really good. Would have been nice if my cocktail arrived in time to drink while eating my dozen.
- Wonderful Brunch!JeffTheFoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014I enjoyed my lobster omelet with scallions and pecorino very much. But I have to say the egg white frittata with grilled corn, cherry tomato and ricotta was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014Very good fried clams, lobster omelette. Oysters are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid lunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Had a great lunch with a friend from out of town. The raw oysters did not disappoint. I wish there were a few more vegetarian friendly options, but had a great experience otherwise.Special Features:
- Fish nirvana!junebuggieDined on 7/2/2014Island creek oyster resturant was wonderful Our waiter was amazing he was attentive and knew the menu well. Our guests were impressed with our selection go there for dinner before a Red Sox game . You must make a reservation for dinner the place was busy but noise level was fine the lobster roe noodles a must! It was delicious! Fried food good too everyone loved what they got the clams and mussels apps amazing my group do not like oysters but I love them and I saw many tables order a bunch ... They looked fresh and delicious! Go if you love fish and try something different on the menu they had mackerel on the menu which would of been my next pick the decor was interesting kind of modern with a beach theme dress is neat casualSpecial Features:
- Great Spot Prior to GamecttwinDined on 7/2/2014We headed up to a Boston game and discovered this great spot. Able to valet park and walk to the game. The food was good, service slow but it was busy. Fun atmosphere. We will come again.Special Features:
- Great service and experience!funshinepigletDined on 7/1/2014Was visiting Boston from Toronto and this was one of the highlights of our trip! Ate from full menu right at the bar and the service was excellent throughout our three-hour stay! Would definitely return if visiting Boston again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Oysters , periodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Best seafood restaurant in Boston and Island Creek oysters are the best!Special Features:
- T23xDined on 6/29/2014Service was spotty. Had to ask for water, more wine, etc. Long wait to be acknowledged when we were seated and then long wait to even get water. Oysters were delicious as was noodle dish with short ribs and lobster. Seafood casserole, which weve had many times at home and in other restaurants had an odd taste in the sauce, like it was "off".Special Features:
- Ann Over-hyped ExperienceFoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014I have heard how hard it is to get a reservation here and so we were excited to finally have dinner at Island Creek. Our experience was less than stellar. We could not believe the fried clams that were presented to us. They were overdone and were more like clam strips than clams with bellies. I have had better fried clams at many other places and would not go to this restaurant again. In addition, we waited a long time to get our drinks and then another long time to get food. Definitely very disappointing.
- Great fried oyster sandwiches!!guest17323Dined on 6/29/2014My family and I went to Island Creek for brunch and although we made a reservation, we didn't need one. We were unable to get a seat near the televisions, even though we made a reservation; however, the food quickly made up for missing the World Cup game. The fried oyster sandwiches were phenomenal.Special Features:
- Great date night!BaconYODined on 6/28/2014Went here with my girlfriend. We are both seafood lovers. Menu changes each night so we wanted to try as much as possible. We went with all appetizers and split everything. I also had some of the best oysters on the half shell I've ever had. They bring you a sauce kit that has all different types of hot sauces, horseradish etc that you could ever need. For apps we had New England clam chowder (one of the best I've Had and I a chowda snob), mussels in risotto, clams in broth with bacon and fennel, fried oyster sliders and a seared tuna dish. Everything was delicious. Atmosphere is fun, but a little loud if your sensitive to that as the bar was hopping at 6pm. Staff was friendly and service was fast and helpful. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come here for the food only.AimeeDDined on 6/27/2014I made a reservation for my birthday at 9:30 for 6. I know this place gets crazy busy, so I figured a late reservation would be best. WRONG! The place was not even close to busy, and when we arrived, we waited 20 minutes for our table. Once we sat, we then waited about half an hour to even place a drink/food order. The only time anybody got a drink, is if you asked about it 20 minutes after ordering it. One would think that for the amazing quality of food and ambience, and high prices, that the service should be equally as great. It is so atrocious that unfortunately, I would only come back to sit at the bar for a couple of drinks and mayyybe some oysters. It is such a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a try...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014After seeing the awesome reviews I specifically wanted to try the Lobster Roe Pasta that everyone was raving about so I made advanced reservations. The Lobster Roe Pasta was so salty. I am not the type of person to send a plate back but the salt level on this dish was unbearable. I asked for a replacement of the same dish and the second dish that came had no salt at all. I was disappointed that the kitchen couldn't get this dish right for me this night. Too much salt does not mean send out a plate with no salt. The saving grace of this meal is that the servers were so nice and we still had a great time and walked around Fenway afterwards. They even took the plate off of the bill since the kitchen just couldn't "get it right".Special Features:
- Great as always.SandmanvtDined on 6/26/2014Staff, food, preparation all amazing can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?TigerNeedhamVIPDined on 6/26/2014A (not so funny) comedy of errors: (1) valet parking full, (2) they refused us one of many 2 seaters at the edge of the room, because they were 'booked' (maybe, but really irritating. We booked on Open Table. Where is the field for "choose your table"?), (3) no waiter helped us until we flagged someone down after >20 minutes. (4) waiter forgot to bring our drinks - we had to remind him, after appetizers were already done. He brought over not 1 but 2 incorrect bottles to pour from. (5) forgot to bring 1 of 2 appetizers, and when we pointed out that we hadn't gotten our oysters, he told us "but I was just about to bring your entrees", then he looked over and said "oh, they didn't bring it over. Your oysters are over there." Nice.
- always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/26/2014ICOB is always excellent. The food is great and the service is spectacular. I don't know how they do with the volume of customers they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood + cool atmospherembradar2Dined on 6/22/2014We came here for the seafood after an internet search kept leading us back to this restaurant as being one of the best. We tried a variety of seafood and the dishes were all fantastic. On top of that, the atmosphere is relaxed but cool, and our servers were very friendly and helpful us make decisions as first-timers.Special Features: