Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.islandcreekoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 6175325300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar is named simply after our farmer, built on the ideal of bringing guests closer to the farm. Chef Jeremy Sewall offers a daily changing menu with a raw bar featuring Island Creek Oysters and an updated, seasonal selection of New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Island Creek Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Kenmore Square / Fenway ›
Island Creek Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
416 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (259)hot spot (188)special occasion (188)vibrant bar scene (171)good for groups (136)neighborhood gem (124)notable wine list (111)romantic (99)late-night find (67)great for lunch (52)great for brunch (51)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food but...lisaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love the food here but it is quite expensive, even for Boston. A small-ish bowl of clam chowder is $11 and a romaine salad is $16. Low marks for ambience because our area smelled horribly of dirty mop water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Took my girlfriend here for her Birthday. She's a huge fan of oysters(I am not) so she was very happy with the seafood selection. I got the Roasted Chicken and it was delicious! Good ambiance and the wait staff was very accommodating, helping me surprise my girlfriend with a birthday desert and candle.Special Features:
- Love this placejjwenzellDined on 8/13/2014This is my favorite spot in Boston. I love the oysters, clam chowder, and lobster rolls. Also, I had the wild Red Snapper Special last time which was phenomenal. I even had a signature cocktail, the Dark and Stormy, and absolutely loved it. Will try to come back every time I am in town.Special Features:
- The Cheers of Seafood RestaurantsPetersonDavisVIPDined on 8/13/2014On our second visit to Island Creek Oyster Bar they remembered my family. On our third they remembered our names. Now, they know so much about us. They care so much about their customers that they take the time to get to know them. They also have amazing food and put service above everything else! We have been there at least 30 times and have never had anything short of an exceptional experience...to be continued!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Treat!LiterateDogDined on 8/13/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. I took him here last year as well. I'm really a big fan of ICOB. The hostess and servers are always so friendly and helpful. Plus, the food is excellent. I can highly recommend this restaurant to anyone interested in a great meal in a beautiful setting. My husband has demanded that we not wait until his next birthday to return!Special Features:
- TeraDined on 8/12/2014Great experience! Fun restaurant, vib and delicious food!Special Features:
- Great food and vibeFabulousVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food was fantastic. Our server Jill was great! I live in Teaxs and make sure Islnad Creek is on the top of my list when I go to BostonSpecial Features:
- Yogi was rightHemulVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Red Sox were out of town, which meant you could valet your car, and we had not been here for awhile. The Yogi Berra quote "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." starting ringing very true almost immediately. We were seated right at the exit to the ?kitchen/supply area and between the horde of rushing servers and the constant "Behind, Behind" it felt like having dinner in the "Chopped" kitchen. Whatever you do, refuse to sit in that seat. The food was very good as always, but a tad too rich for a seafood restaurant. The service was attentive and involved at least seven different people, which led to the inevitable lack of communication and dropped orders (two drink orders were late or did not arrive).I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorthYorkersDined on 8/10/2014Arrived an hour early for our reservation, but the team was very accommodating and seated us at a tall table in the bar area (our choice vs waiting). Very lively and fun, though the table was a bit too small to share a meal and we seemed to occasionally get "forgotten" by our waiter amongst all the bustle. All the seafood dishes we had were excellent. Special mention for the "no shell" PEI mussels and the tuna tartare that the staff brought us as an "extra" surprise. Shrimp cocktail was good but a bit pricey at $3 per shrimp. The chocolate/caramel pot de creme my daughter ordered for dessert was to DIE for. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downsrepeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great raw bar items -- that is the reason to come here. Service is less than ideal which can influence an evening. We had different people in the group with different patterns of orders and therefore asked for service in a particular pattern. Did it happen? No. Did it ruin the taste of the food? No. But it did take away from the overall pleasure.
- Deceiving second visitElisabethVIPDined on 8/9/2014The oysters and the fish&Chips were amazing ! American service - way too fast !!! Too cold in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Our food was great -- and ICOB has a well-deserved reputation. But the service was also remarkable. I commend the host and wait staff for their graciousness and skill. Nice to have both this level of food and service at one establishment.Special Features:
- Just OkfriedmudDined on 8/8/2014The food was fairly decent but the service was lacking. On the food side the fries were awesome with just the right amount of sea salt... perfect! The fish with the fish and chips was excellent: not greasy/oily, crunchy, well-cooked... great! Our appetizer of fried oyster sliders was good. However, the lobster roll was just not good. The "sauce" on the roll had too much raw onion in it making it nearly inedible. Finally, I had a locally made Pilsner that, while not a true Czech Pilsner, was really delicious. The service really let us down. It took a while for our server to get to us... and it took forever to get our drinks. We ran out of drink several times as well. All-in-all we didn't feel attended to.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMikeDined on 8/6/2014Perhaps the top place for oysters in Boston. And great seafood of all kinds. Incredible wine selection. Excellent service. What's not to love?I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best meal we had all week!!playneDined on 8/5/2014thank you to Island Creek, we had the best birthday celebration!! We were immediately escorted to our reserved spot at the raw bar (even with a packed house!). Will, our bartender was just the best! He gave us menus and they had my husband's name printed on the top, wishing him a happy birthday, very nice touch! we started off with vodka cocktails and the ceviche, 4 shrimp, and 6 oysters, so fresh and flavorful, the best we've had in a long time! then because the oysters were so good, we ordered 4 more. after that we shared a salad and the clam chowder, the salad was good, the chowder very good, although it wasn't a traditional chowder. They gave us a couple biscotti and champagne to celebrate the evening. truly memorable. we will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!FuffinVIPDined on 8/4/2014A great way to taste the amazing seafood that Boston has to offer. Raw oysters are a perfect start!! The clam chowder had just enough clams and the there is a chorizo mussels dish that is superb. I had the lobster roe pasta and it's worth having. Perfectly cooked pasta with a nice large lobster tail on top.Special Features:
- YesWalterDined on 8/3/2014The place certainly wasn't bad. The food was great, absolutely wonderful dining. The ambiance was lovely, the decor was chic. I just really couldn't stand the bubbly waitresses, but that's a personal preference. And the music was really, really loud.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/3/2014Island Creek Oyster Bar always has a large variety of delicious, fresh oysters on their menu! I like the Island Creeks, the Moonsholes, and the Chathams the best! The fluke crudo and the salmon tartare are both wonderful. The crab cake is homemade and delicious! We also highly recommend the salmon entree! The service is always fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and friendly staff!2theatsDined on 8/3/2014Enjoyed having our cocktails at the bar with our oysters before sitting at our table for dinner. All staff very friendly and knowledgable. I was even escorted to the bathroom when asked where it was located. Vibrant place, kid friendly and yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish was spectacularchicagotritaDined on 8/3/2014If you come to Boston and want seafood, this is the place to be! Make sure you book a reservation in advance. By the time I booked, I only got a 5:15pm but it was already jam-packed by the time we got there. Ordered 1 dozen of the oysters - each of them was absolutely amazing. Then the salmon tartar with taro chips. My favorite course was the steamed clams. The broth (fennel, rosemary, pancetta) is out of this world! So good I ordered it twice. Still dreaming about it.Special Features:
- great pre-baseball game dining111AMLDined on 8/3/2014We were visiting from out of town and had tickets for a baseball game at 8pm at Fenway Park. We were delighted to discover this great seafood spot just a few blocks away- great drinks, great food, great casual ambience and all in all a great place to have an early dinner before the game. We did make 5:15pm reservations on Open Table which I would recommend. When we got there at 5:15pm, the place was packed and there no reservations for a least an hour and there was a waiting list to eat at the bar.Special Features:
- Best Oysters EVER!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2014Fabulous cocktails. Fabulous food. Fabulous service. Can't wait to go back...!!Special Features:
- Not worth itKepantaDined on 8/2/2014I've been to ICOB a few times and every time before this the food and service were great. This time the lobster bisque was so salty it was inedible and my friend had to send her cocktail back because it tasted horrible. The server who brought my friend her second drink made a rude comment about the fact that my friend didn't like her first drink. Our server couldn't remember what we ordered (he had to go over it several times before leaving the table - why not just write it down??) and when the food arrived, the wrong dish was put in front of us every time. I'm really disappointed and probably won't go back to ICOB because there are plenty of nice places to eat in Boston where I wouldn't have this kind of experience.Special Features:
- Bostonian seafoodFoodieAtHeartDined on 8/2/2014Food for most part was really good. Cook seemed to like there salt and put way too much salt on their clam chowder. But other than that was a relaxing and enjoying atmosphere. Wait staff was very friendly. Great for group dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsmtg14450Dined on 8/2/2014We went expecting to get great seafood. The salmon and corn chowder soup were outstanding. The complimentary bread was delicious and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- OutstandingRuthieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went for lunch on a Saturday when they opened for lunch due to the Sox game. Everything was perfect, especially the sommelier, she is tops!Special Features:
- A must for Oyster lovers!OysterRUsDined on 8/1/2014Great place to go in a group, It will be a great evening with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaven for oyster afficionadosMoxieBelleDined on 8/1/2014My husband takes me to Island Creek Oyster Bar every summer as a very special treat before attendance at a few Red Sox games. (We live in NH). I adore fresh oysters and have a sophisticated palate for the differences based on waters of origin (as I do for single malt scotch!). The restaurant atmosphere is rather agitated before a Sox game, but it is worth enduring for the variety and freshness of fare. I like that servers are very knowledgeable about the oysters. My husband does NOT enjoy raw oysters but appreciates the quality of the other menu choices and we both appreciate the extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great oysters, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/30/2014very large selection of oysters that changes daily with supply. Great service in helping select oysters, wine and menu advice. vibrant bar scene. right near Fenway and open to 1:00am, so perfect for pre or post Red Sox Game fare. Tried booking on Open Table same day and was only offered a 10:00pm table; walked in at 8:45pm, expecting to wait or take a seat at the bar and was seated immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good before Fenway dinner spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was excellent. Service and speed of food is a bit of an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedMl24Dined on 7/29/2014I was expecting greatness. We received good service, fun atmosphere, ok food. The crab cake was mostly filler and lacking taste. The calamari was rubbery. The fries were cold. I'm glad we tried it but not likely to be on the repeat list.Special Features:
- Very slow serviceluckylouVIPDined on 7/29/2014Finally able to get reservations at this restaurant that everyone raves about. Food is absolutely delish! Had oysters (of course) and then golden tilefish over risotto with a side of the mint/ginger carrots. However, service was extremely slooooowwww. Had to wait at least a half hour after finished the oysters to get my entrée. Also, pretty loud. . .but I guess that is one reason why it is popular.Special Features:
- Friendly high end fareHungrycanukDined on 7/28/2014Oysters are the primary draw and they are excellent as expected given the ownership of this restaurant. But service is really friendly and efficient the bar is happening and serve a serious cocktail and the menus is authentic new England with a modern twist. My super foodie friends from Toronto were so impressed we had dinner before a night game at Fenway then we went back for drinks again after the game and closed the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I never give a "10" ...butFoodchasnDined on 7/25/2014Ok I never give a 10 until now! There is usually something that just keeps me from giving the perfect score, but I would give this place a 10! Several reasons: first off, it was crowded but the entire staff knew how to deal with it. When I checked in I got a big smile and warm welcome. Then I headed to the bar, it was full but as soon as I walk up the bartender knew looked and got me taken care of. Our table was on time and the staff waiting and delivering our food were friendly knowledgeable and the food was off the chart. With food atmosphere and great service like this, I will always come back to this gem of a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulous!MLaurieVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food is great. Fish is always fresh. Oysters always delicious. And the drinks from the bar are always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 SeafoodBostonEats13Dined on 7/23/2014ICOB is my favorite restaurant in Boston. It can be difficult to get a reservation from 6-8pm, but its worth the wait! The staff is knowledgeable and attentive. They work as a team, so you won't have a single waiter throughout your meal. Their oysters are plump and flavorful, they slide down like butter. The drinks were fabulous--they brew their own ginger beer and squeeze their own lime juice! Order the biscuit--delish! Their bluefish is incredible, as is the salmon tartar and crab cakes. The space is always lively, yet the dim lighting adds an intimate flair to the setting. Great date spot! I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafood!VisitingFoodieDined on 7/22/2014This restaurant does everything right! From the hostess, servers, quality of food and drinks this place is sure to satisfy the pickiest of foodies everywhere. Definitely the Best Boston has to offer! They also manage several other restaurants in town, so good I couldn't pick a favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ICOB - excellent fish restaurantadelaidevoyagerDined on 7/22/2014Great service by knowledgable staff. Local oysters very good. Fish cooked to perfection. Wide ranging tailored wine list. Basil ice cream was a first for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/21/2014We frequent Island Creek Oyster Bar for dinner and brunch. The food & service are always amazing. Kelsey and Bonnie are exceptional. From start to finish, the experience is always above and beyond.
- Not so goodDsquaredDined on 7/21/2014Unfortunately this restaurant did not offer much regarding quality of food or service. It's a hipster hot spot but the food and especially service needs serious work. Our server was very neglectful and did not serve the drinks that we requested nor took our entree orders. She seemed more focused on serving other customers during the rare times she surfaced near our table. Once we received our appetizers from a completely different server, everything tasted bland and forgettable. The lobster tartare was very disappointing and flavorless. I would not recommend this extremely loud and overpriced place for a meal to anyone anytime soon.Special Features: