1701 West Doe Run Rd.
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catherinesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6103472227
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - close, Saturday: 2 seatings: 6:00pm and 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin M. McMunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catherine's is available for private party rental and also offers exquisite menu creations for your special occasion. Please contact Marybeth for additional info. The restaurant also features their famous Boxed Lunches TO GO as well as a wonderful array of delicious sandwich trays for corporate/office lunches. Chef Kevin McMunn & his team make everything fresh daily including the breads & desserts. The Organic* Turkeys & Chicken are roasted for all sandwiches. Local Delivery is available for a fee.
- Private Party Facilities: Catherine's intimate dining room makes for an exceptional setting for your special occasion. The stunningly beautiful restaurant seats up to 50 people and is lit entirely by candles - over 125! Garden Patio seats 20. Available for private party rental. Rental fee is applied. Friday & Saturday Special Quote upon Request.
- Private Party Contact: Maybeth Brown 6103472227
- Entertainment: The Gallery at Catherine's is located next door to the Restaurant and features incredible local artists every month. "Feast on Brunch & Savor the Art!" The Gallery is available for viewing during restaurant hours of Tuesday thru Sunday - Lunch & Dinner. Gallery closed January thru March.
- Special Events: Please see www.catherinesrestaurant.com for upcoming events.
A word from Catherine's Restaurant
Catherine"s Restaurant is a charming BYOB nestled in the heart of Chester County's horse country. An upscale casual destination restaurant, located in the historic (c. 1851) Unionville General Store, Catherine's is 'dining at it's BEST.' (Philadelphia Inquirer) Chef Kevin McMunn's "Wild Mushroom & Lump Crab Soup is EXQUISITE." - Craig Laban. Catherine's is one of the Delaware Valley's top BYOB's and has earned many accolades over the past decade. They are rated EXCELLENT by Zagat. Chef Kevin McMunn and his partner & wife Marybeth Brown are an exceptional team that pay homage to Brown's grandmother, Catherine, with their warm and welcoming hospitality and unbelievably delicious food! The gorgeous dining room is lit entirely by candles - over 125 - which adds to the special touch of mini flashlights which come with every menu. Catherine's has recently added Lunch and weekend Brunch to their dining hours. The Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect way to end the weekend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Catherine's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Catherine's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)fit for foodies (83)neighborhood gem (83)great for outdoor dining (80)romantic (67)great for brunch (34)great for lunch (27)good for groups (14)scenic view (7)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- FavoriteLoumanDined on 7/16/2014Catherine's is a great restaurant. The food is excellent and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Also, it is a BYOB which is always a plus.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday BrunchFoodie113Dined on 7/13/2014We had a delightful Sunday Brunch at Catherine's. I had the Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, that were cooked to perfection. The combination of flavor was over to the top. My guest had French Toast, with a Caramel Maple topping, powder sugar and a touch of mint. The presentation was beautiful. Don't forgot a side of bacon. The hand sliced bacon is a must-have. Our server was very knowledgeable and funny which made our dining experience that much better. If you haven't tried Catherine's, you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatpra59Dined on 7/13/2014We went to Catherine's for brunch. The ambience at Catherine's is great, inside and outside. The smoked mozzarella omelet didn't have enough cheese. The ricotta pancakes were dry. However, the mushroom and crab soup was outstanding! Also, the prices are high. $75(before tip and voucher) for brunch for two, without alcohol, is high.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had another very pleasant evening at Catherine's, eating outdoors on a balmy July evening. The menu doesn't change much here, so the grouper special for the evening was a most welcome addition that my wife thoroughly enjoyed. My Chinese 5 spice pork was succulent and juicy, among the best pork preparations that I have ever had. Starters were the mushroom-crab bisque, which is in a class by itself, and a wonderful summer salad with a soy ginger dressing. DelightfulSpecial Features:
- Favorite neighborhood gemSallyGirlDined on 7/12/2014Catherine's never disappoints. The food, service and setting were excellent -- as always! Our foodie brother and sister-in-law who live near and often frequent NYC were delighted and impressed with their delicious meals.Special Features:
- Last Minute DinnersrfntrfDined on 7/11/2014Great little BYOB with nicely prepared dishes. Very accommodating and knowledgeable around food allergies. Had a great dinner and will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic spot wit very good foodFritzVIPDined on 7/11/2014Out door dining area was lovely. Food was very good and the mushroom soup was terrific! Very courteous and efficient staff. We will be back.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Catherine'sBrianaDined on 7/6/2014This was our first brunch at Catherine's, but we had heard great things! It was a wonderful meal. I had the portobello omelette with home fries. My dad had the pancakes and bacon. Bacon was the best any of us had EVER had. I can't say enough about how good it was. Everything was so fresh and made with attention to detail. Large portions. Great coffee, too. All served on the most adorable dishes. Personal service. A great experience. Feels like home but way better! So lucky to have this restaurant nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catherine's restsurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Pretty and quaint. We sat on the patio next to the residential door. Young boy came out with motorized bicycle. Heard young children fighting. Both of these situations took away from the experience. Appetizer salad was just fair, and over priced. Restaurant was out of ice cream, really in the summer. Entree was okay a little too rich. Heard good things about this place so I was disappointed. Will not go back. There are better places in Chester county
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Tucked away in a quiet part of Chester County, PA is a little restaurant. Beautiful food, BYO, great service- just the perfect setting for a romantic dinner. Don't pass this by-make reservations. I wish we lived closer. It could become habit forming.Special Features:
- What a great dinner!foodloversDined on 7/4/2014Dinner was amazing and so creative.They served a fresh tomato basil dipping sauce with bread - yum!! The service was very attentive and friendly but not hovering. We shared the special warm goat cheese salad and had fillet and halibut which we also shared. Everything was excellent. Be sure to save room for the fresh berry bread pudding.......We will be back very soon.Special Features:
- They were closedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014They need to notify Open Table if they are closed for a holiday or post something on their website. My mom and I each drove an hour to go to Catherine's on 4th of July (they are half way between the two of us) and they were closed. Fortunately, Limoncello was open and we had a lovely dinner there. I highly recommend them.
- Absolutely awesome!cuddly44Dined on 7/2/2014Catherine's is my favorite restaurant, and we visit many. The service is excellent, attentive but not intrusive, and the atmosphere is quiet enough for conversation. But best of all--the food--which is high quality, local and deliciously prepared. Especially recommended are the scallops and filet. Even the coffee and, of course, their signature key lime pie are outstanding. Great spot for foodies! Five stars!!Special Features:
- Always great food but...DJS8ballVIPDined on 6/27/2014$7 corkage fee? C'mon. That's just gouging. I can understand when there is a larger table where they are going through 4+ bottles of wine but for a two-top with one bottle? All the server did was pull the cork...never once came back to full a glass. Food is always great here and the servers do a great job otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues its excellent reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014We have always enjoyed our experience at Catherine's---the food is excellent, the service is attentive and prompt. It is our favorite restaurant in the area. We eat there on special occasions or just to have an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 6/26/2014Wonderful meal in a lovely outdoor setting. Catherine's menu doesn't vary much, but it doesn't need to. Beet salad was fresh and delicious and the mushroom-crab bisque is always a winner. Ahi tuna was done perfectly, as were my wife's scallops. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/26/2014We went on a weeknight for our anniversary and had the place to ourselves which probably helped with the service and ambiance. Food was excellent from start to finish. Only negative was the cost - very expensive. $110 (before tip) for two salads, two entrees, two iced teas, and two desserts. We will definitely come back but probably only for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pcje4VIPDined on 6/22/2014This was our first time for brunch/lunch on a Sunday. We usually come for dinner and love to eat out in the garden. The food was excellent as was the service. Catherine's is such a great place to enjoy a leisurely meal, great wine and conversation. Can't wait to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousChickpeaDined on 6/21/2014The mushroom crab soup was absolutely fabulous. We enjoyed the restaurants ambiance, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Restaurant is a great place for excellent food and dinner with friends. We have been here several times and have never been disappointed!! The wait staff is very knowledgable about food selections and are very eager to accommodate you. You do not find that very often today!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What A FindSSKVDined on 6/13/2014Loved, loved, loved every part of our meal!! The servers were welcoming and friendly. The only improvement would be in the noise level of the entire restaurant - at times I couldn't hear or have a normal conversation with my husband. However, I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014We went the first time with friends and went back again on our own. Both times the food was AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GpljpbcplcpDined on 6/11/2014Excellent food and service we had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Great food, as alwaysBurtDined on 6/7/2014Consistently excellent. BYOB, $7 corkage per table. Varied menu with nice specials that aren't overpriced. Noise level can be high.Special Features:
- Saturday dinner at CAtherine'ssnoopyDined on 6/7/2014we just had dinner at Catherine's on a Saturday night. it is a bit noisy but the food is great and interesting. They also let you bring your own booze which helps hold the price down. We had the specialty salad which was fresh chopped lettuce with grilled shrimp and it was very good. We had scallops, and the filet and both were excellent. Then we had cookie dough and ice cream and cheesecake. the desserts are promo.Special Features:
- Great byob and Fine FoodPappyDaveDined on 6/7/2014Fantastic food, quaint ...byob! New place for me ... now one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd visitmrmikemtrDined on 6/1/2014we've always eaten on the patio; however, it looks like the interior is lighter now. anyway, menu hasn't changed which is good! I always get the mushroom/crab soup and burger. the key lime pie is delish!Special Features:
- Even better than I rememberedwclmpDined on 5/31/2014We had a fantastic evening at Catherine's. Though we have been several times over the years, the food and service were even better than I had remembered. And, although it has been a few years since our last visit, the waitress remembered having served us before. Our dinners were excellent and the atmosphere is lovely. We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationElizabethVIPDined on 5/31/2014Friends and I had dinner at Catherine's, and everyone enjoyed it. The food was as good as it was on my first visit (lunch/brunch), and the atmosphere is great. The only problems we encountered were a shortage of wait-staff and the noise of the Saturday night crowd. It was a little difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Great dinnerChuckatuckdinersDined on 5/30/2014Catherine's is a real gem, sort of located in the "middle of nowhere". Food was excellent and we would definitely eat there again if we were back in the area. BYOB is a real plus for us because then we can splurge on the food without "breaking the bank".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014EXCELLANT dinning. However the parking problem and noise level detract fromSpecial Features:
- Awesome mushroom & crab soup!LB3190Dined on 5/30/2014Loved the soup! It was the best part of the meal, but the entree was good as well. The service was not so good. I had to ask three times for a refill of my water. The final refill was warm. They never asked if we wanted any beverages other than water. Maybe they weren't expecting the crowd they got on a Friday night at the end of May?Special Features:
- Great BYOB!!!JojoDined on 5/24/2014Food and service EXCELLENT! Quaint and romantic setting indoors and out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Wonderful Time at Catherine'sluv49foodDined on 5/24/2014We had a delicious meal. I had the scallops. They were cooked to perfection, and my boyfriend had salmon which he said was out of this world. If you are looking for a romantic night out, Catherine's is the place to go. Also, Lisa took great care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightScottDined on 5/24/2014Overall the food and atmosphere was great. Everyone enjoyed their food and the service was fantastic. The steak was slightly over cooked but flavor was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catherine's has fabulous foodJaneneGDined on 5/24/2014My husband had the filet mignon and said it was the best he ever had. I had the crab cakes and they were also very good, and I especially like the rosotto side dish. We had a restaurant.com coupon otherwise we would not have gone there as the meal was a bit pricey - around $30 each for the main meal (salads are extra $). It is a BYOB, but there is a $7 corking charge which we think is ridiculous - especially if you bring a screw top so we did not BYOB but would have liked to if no extra charge. Because of this charge I only gave it a 4 start rating.Special Features:
- The following 682 reviews are from the Catherine's Restaurant reviews archive.
- BoChangDined on 5/16/2014We have been dining at Catherine's since they opened in West Chester. The move to Unionville did not deter us. Excellent, eclectic menu, great desserts and wonderful staff. It's hard to believe how one brunch would be better than another but Catherine's distinguish themselves.Special Features:
- Patio is OpenBuntzVIPDined on 5/15/2014Had a delightful meal on the outdoor patio on a warm May night. The mushroom and crab bisque was outstanding, as always, as was my wife's goat cheese salad. Entrees of braised beef ribs over angolotti and scallops were wonderful. Creme brulee torte made a great dessert. Susan's service was terrific.Special Features:
- Pleasant!foodieforeverVIPDined on 5/14/2014We had lunch at Catherine's about 2:00 PM on a Wednesday and were surprised to be the only customers in the restaurant. The atmosphere was very pleasant, as was our meal, a cup of delicious mushroom-crab soup with half of a sandwich. We'd like to return for dinner when we're in the area again.Special Features:
- A pleasant dining experiencePamelaDined on 5/10/2014Excellent goat filled ravioli with sundried tomatoes and mushroom soup. I had the special, Bass with crab and mango. Yummo! The pork with Chinese 5 spice was too overpowering.... needed MUCH less of this and more plum sauce. Overall experience was very good! I definitely go there again.Special Features: