1701 West Doe Run Rd.
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catherinesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6103472227
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - close, Saturday: 2 seatings: 6:00pm and 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin M. McMunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catherine's is available for private party rental and also offers exquisite menu creations for your special occasion. Please contact Marybeth for additional info. The restaurant also features their famous Boxed Lunches TO GO as well as a wonderful array of delicious sandwich trays for corporate/office lunches. Chef Kevin McMunn & his team make everything fresh daily including the breads & desserts. The Organic* Turkeys & Chicken are roasted for all sandwiches. Local Delivery is available for a fee.
- Private Party Facilities: Catherine's intimate dining room makes for an exceptional setting for your special occasion. The stunningly beautiful restaurant seats up to 50 people and is lit entirely by candles - over 125! Garden Patio seats 20. Available for private party rental. Rental fee is applied. Friday & Saturday Special Quote upon Request.
- Private Party Contact: Maybeth Brown 6103472227
- Entertainment: The Gallery at Catherine's is located next door to the Restaurant and features incredible local artists every month. "Feast on Brunch & Savor the Art!" The Gallery is available for viewing during restaurant hours of Tuesday thru Sunday - Lunch & Dinner. Gallery closed January thru March.
- Special Events: Please see www.catherinesrestaurant.com for upcoming events.
A word from Catherine's Restaurant
Catherine"s Restaurant is a charming BYOB nestled in the heart of Chester County's horse country. An upscale casual destination restaurant, located in the historic (c. 1851) Unionville General Store, Catherine's is 'dining at it's BEST.' (Philadelphia Inquirer) Chef Kevin McMunn's "Wild Mushroom & Lump Crab Soup is EXQUISITE." - Craig Laban. Catherine's is one of the Delaware Valley's top BYOB's and has earned many accolades over the past decade. They are rated EXCELLENT by Zagat. Chef Kevin McMunn and his partner & wife Marybeth Brown are an exceptional team that pay homage to Brown's grandmother, Catherine, with their warm and welcoming hospitality and unbelievably delicious food! The gorgeous dining room is lit entirely by candles - over 125 - which adds to the special touch of mini flashlights which come with every menu. Catherine's has recently added Lunch and weekend Brunch to their dining hours. The Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect way to end the weekend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Catherine's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Catherine's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (90)great for outdoor dining (87)special occasion (83)romantic (70)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (29)good for groups (16)scenic view (5)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- We went to Longwood GardenskarenkwVIPDined on 9/3/2011We went to Longwood Gardens but wanted to eat in the area before returning for fireworks. We brought our own wine and the service was great. They knew we had to get back and everything arrived quickly but not rushed. The food was uniformly very good and the desserts were extraordinary. The restaurant was prettier and more spacious than we expected and we will return. Expedience really turned into something special.Special Features:
- This lovely restaurant isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2011This lovely restaurant is a great find. It's in a lovely setting with gardens in the back. The food is very good. My wife and I are not big eaters and our waitress was very willing to split the soup and salad for us. Not to be missed: the wild mushroom/crab soup! Our entrées were the duck and the blackened salmon which were not overly spiced at all. The sauces are very carefully prepared. We would definitely return when in the area.Special Features:
- Excellent,sophisticated menuDEdinerVIPDined on 8/26/2011Excellent,sophisticated menu which is well executed.friendly and professional staff.Special Features:
- What a find! This littleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011What a find! This little gem in the heart of Unionville is now one of our favorites. Two thumbs way up!Special Features:
- Always a treat to dine atBYOBexplorerDined on 8/26/2011Always a treat to dine at Catherine's. We had not been here for a few years but the experience was as awesome as ever! The BYOB feature ($5.00 corkage fee) is a plus! Our reservation was for 6:30 but as the darkness descended outside, they turn the inside lights down low and provide cute little flashlights with menus and again when the present the bill! On this particular night we chose to eat in the dining room vs. the outside patio. As we were leaving there were several tables with diners outside. Lots of candles and music made the atmosphere quite pleasant! Will consider outside next time!Special Features:
- a delightful country restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2011a delightful country restaurant, interesting decor, good food, nice desserts. We forgot that it's BYOB so enjoyed lemonade instead. We would go again.Special Features:
- Excellent food, friendly service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2011Excellent food, friendly service. Just the spot and right distance from Longwood Gardens for a fine dinner. Will recommend to our friends when visiting the Gardens. Great filet and those mashed potatoes were the best every. Hint: offer a flavored iced tea ! mint or peach maybe.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2011Thoroughly enjoyable. Service was professional and personal. A great experience.Special Features:
- We always love Catherine's.cbh328VIPDined on 8/11/2011We always love Catherine's. The outdoor dining area is so charming and the service and food are great!Special Features:
- If you have nothing else whenOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/5/2011If you have nothing else when you dine at Catherine's you have to try the mushroom soup! Filled with exotic local mushroom varieties and plenty of crab meat, this is the best mushroom soup ever! Our dinner choices this evening included blackened tuna and fillet mignon, both cooked to perfection. There may have been a staff shortage this particular evening since the wait between dinner and coffee/dessert was a tad longer than needed. Overall, a most enjoyable meal and perfectly prepared food in a comfortable BYO setting.Special Features:
- Over rated. Food was okay,butOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2011Over rated. Food was okay,but not worth going back for. service friendly. very remoteSpecial Features:
- This was our 1st time at Catherine'OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2011This was our 1st time at Catherine's but will not be our last. We enjoyed the country drive to and from the restaurant from Wilmington. The service was excelent, a real welcoming attentive staff. The Choclate Cake dessert was the best I have ever had. Remember to bring a bottel of wine, BYOB.Special Features:
- There were four of us forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2011There were four of us for dinner at this very fine BYOB restaurant. The service was attentive and cordial. They more-or-less have two seatings on Sat. nights, but there people who seemed to come later during the 6:00 pm seating. The noise level was excellent until the room filled, and then it got too noisy. The food was very, very good. We all had different first and main courses, and everything was excellent--no clunkers in the bunch. The berry cobbler was great, but the peach pie wasn't really up the quality of the rest of the food. I had scallops with a strong, spicy dusting, and all loved it. Dress was casual--one man even in shorts and flip-flops, but most people were attractively dressed. The tab was $100/couple.Special Features:
- quiet, intimate, pleasaant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2011quiet, intimate, pleasaant, relaxing, ambient, excellent food, not pretentious--will definitely return; looking forward to trying brunch! Love the surprise/treat friends to, "Hey, I can't wait to take you to this fantastic little place I found..."Special Features:
- Had heard many good reportsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2011Had heard many good reports on the restaurant and had high expectations when we booked. Sadly, we were very under-whelmed. Everything was simply okay and good, but not great. Given the handful of similar "style" places in the area, this would not fall in our top five. Ingredients seemed fresh and presentation was just okay, nothing made us say "wow". Venue is very charming and staff was friendly although not very aware and alert.
- Only a mile or so from theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2011Only a mile or so from the suburbs, you can find somewhat rural luxury. In a Georgetown type setting. Fantastic for Mother's Day and Father's Day family meals. The back garden is shielded well from the sun and outdoor dining is wonderful. Their Salmon dish is the best fish you will ever get.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2011Wonderful dining experience. Food, service, decor, all wonderful. Air conditioning could have been a little stronger and it was quite noisy, but I'll definitely go again.
- Enjoyed getting away fromJillBVIPDined on 7/23/2011Enjoyed getting away from the city and suburbs for a leisurely dinner in the country. The menu is small and the choices are lovely, though the arugula salad seemed to be lacking of dressing and the salmon entree didn't capture the taste described on the menu. We were expecting a quiet, romantic meal but the place was bustling and I had to strain to hear my husband. The service wasn't as personable as we would have liked either. The servers were running around at a hectic pace and we didn't even have anyone check on how our food was. For a $5 corking fee, it would also be nice to have someone pour the wine. Overall we were glad to try this restaurant but I don't think it's really worth the long drive.Special Features:
- We went to Catherine's onOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2011We went to Catherine's on a Friday night with another couple. I have been there often with girlfriends and wanted to share the experience with good friends. We had a great meal- the food was fantastic. The service was excellent- timely, but not bothersome or intrusive, allowing us to enjoy our meal and our conversation. We all left agreeing that we will come back soon, when the weather cools down a little, so that we can enjoy their outdoor seating.Special Features:
- A joyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2011We had brunch at Catherine's and it was fabulous. The food was delicious (best burger I've had in yeras!) and the service (Susan was our server) was so friendly, we didn't want to leave:) We'll be back, for sure. It was a little hot so we didn't sit outside but next time we'll try to- it's adorable and quaint out on the patio.Special Features:
- Nicely doneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2011Excellent food (best wild mushroom soup around), nice ambiance, attentive and personal service, intimate dining room, nice garden seating. Perfect experience!Special Features:
- We had a very pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/16/2011We had a very pleasant experience dining outside. The noise from the nearby roads was barely noticeable. The food was outstandingm especially the key lime pie which was authentic. Highly recommended for a nice quiet romantic dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent food - presentedfinedinerDined on 7/12/2011Excellent food - presented very attractively. The Ambiance is particularly appealing - nice quaint location in Unionville.Special Features:
- Big disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2011I have been to Catherine's several times over the past 6 years and this dining experience left me wondering if the restaurant had changed hands. The food was not anything special, and the service was pretty bad. We waited 45 minutes after ordering appetizers to see them actually brought to our table. Water glasses were filled sporadically at best, and staff seemed very poorly trained- why bus tables when your guests are being neglected and you have no new clients coming in the door? My boyfriend and I felt that we were treated as if the staff was doing us a favor by serving us. When we asked for the check before getting into the usual request about dessert, our server asked us if we were not from the area- it really made us feel awkward.
- Best TunaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/8/2011Best Tuna I have had in long time, prepared perfectly. Scallops also very good.Special Features:
- It is a very nice place toAikidojoeDined on 6/30/2011It is a very nice place to take a date. Remember that it's a BYOB.Special Features:
- We sat outside, which is absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/29/2011We sat outside, which is absolutely gorgeous, rather like discovering someone's secret garden. Still, it took our waitress nearly a half hour to offer bread, water and silverware! To be fair, we didn't go inside, so we don't know how many tables she was serving inside. But there were two tables outside, and we felt ignored and … when she finally came outside … treated like SHE was doing US a favor. The food was good, at least mine was. Not sure my three companions were thrilled. Certainly no raves. I had the salmon encrusted with coconut and cilantro. An interesting melange of flavors. We had to ask for everything … more bread, more dip for the bread (absolutely delish, BTW), more water, the check. Disappointing.Special Features:
- We found that not only wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2011We found that not only was the service very nice but the other people dinning there were very friendly. It was overall a great experience and evening to spend with my husband!Special Features:
- Too good to missOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2011Not a bad meal on the menu. This does present a problem when trying to decide what to get, though. :) Small menu, but wide variety of food, so everything is done well.Special Features:
- West Chester galOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2011Catherine's is a wonderful little restaurant tucked away on Route 82 in the town of Unionville. Everything on the menu is delicious, and feels healthy and fresh. At Catherine's there is also a pretty outdoor terrace (perfect for early evenings or during a summer day) and there is an art gallery full of work from local artists. I came to one of Catherine's "Art Openings" and the event was fantastic- great food, drink and wonderful art that you would really see more in a fine gallery I recommend Catherine's very highly for dinner, lunch or brunch (oh! their box lunches to-go are a family favorite --chicken salad. delicious). Great dining place for couples, female groups of friends. It feels like a charming spot in Napa or Sonoma CA, but BYOB.Special Features:
- Filet Yea! Crab cakes Nay!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/11/2011Mushroom soup and the filet were 5 star quality; the crab cakes might be okay in Iowa but are far down the list of quality in this area.Special Features:
- dsiappointedvodvoxVIPDined on 6/10/2011We tried Catherine's instead of journeying into Phildelphia. Still charming location in Chesco. We had great appetizers, service was goiing good and then the Filet came out. I eat steak infrequently, so when I order it, I am looking for a steak to overwhelm my pallete. I was underwhelmed with a stew meat-like steak. Probably won't be back for a long timeSpecial Features:
- Catherine's is a wonderful,CatFolkVIPDined on 6/8/2011Catherine's is a wonderful, comfortable place, with excellent food and service.Special Features:
- This is a gem, an oasis inHyeDocVIPDined on 6/7/2011This is a gem, an oasis in Chester County. My wife and I love a quaint, cozy, romantic BYOB, and Catherine's is now at the top of our list. The restaurant is a nice remodeling of an old general store, very charming, very inviting. We actually got there early and looked in on the art gallery that is attached to and part of the restaurant. The service: excellent, way to go Marybeth; the food, outstanding: thank you Chef McMunn!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2011I found Catherine's while searching for someplace new to bring my girlfriend. We're in West Chester, and had been to most of the nice BYOBs in town so I decided to look a little farther west. Glad I found Catherine's. We love the food, the service and atmosphere of the restaurant. It's a charming, unique place to dine. We just made our second visit, and it was just as nice as the first time. We did notice the outside dining area which we will have to try next time, it seemed that it might be a little quieter than inside, and more romantic, with some nice jazz playing. In all it's a great experience!Special Features:
- MehRickVIPDined on 6/4/2011We really wanted to love this place. It's a small restaurant tucked away in a quiet location. The decor is really cute, and the setting is casual and comfortable, without being too much of either. Our entrees, both seafood, were nicely done. Our main issue was with the side dish of risotto, which was a cheesy, gooey, mess: a prime example of how good risotto isn't easy to pull off. Frankly, it overshadowed everything else on the plate. Dessert was okay, nothing special. We asked for decaf coffee with our dessert. Our server made a point of telling us how wonderful the coffee is at Catherine's. Unfortunately, she never filled that portion of the order, so we'll have to take her word for it. Catherine's is okay. Okay, but forgetta
- Catherine's is one of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2011Catherine's is one of our favorite restaurants! This was the first time we were able to eat outside and it was absolutely charming. We had relatives from Atlanta in town and they were very impressed. Little white lights dotted some bushes and there were candles everywhere. The chairs were very comfortable with cute red and white striped cushions. The mushroom soup is OUTSTANDING. Our main courses were quite good also though no Wow factor. We didn't have fish though and I know that's the chef's speciality. The desserts were delish! Great ambiance! Great friendly service!Special Features:
- We ate outside which is muchcrphillyVIPDined on 5/28/2011We ate outside which is much quieter than inside. Blackened scallops and the Kennett Square mushroom soup were both very good. The butterfish was very good and came with a side of tasty risotto. I would have given this place a 4 star , but my crabcakes were not very good. Unlike any crabcake I've ever had. No taste, held together with I don't know what, and wouldn't get them again. That being said, the rest of meal was very good and would go back again, and will just stay away from the crabcakes. Key Lime Pie for dessert was creamy, but lacked any of the tart Key Lime taste. It's really not in downtown Kennett Square, but a couple miles North.Special Features:
- too much noise!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2011good food but way too much noise, we couldn't even have a decent conversation.
- Great place to celebrate myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2011Great place to celebrate my husbands birthday. We visited a photography exhibit, in the back of the restaurant, before we had dinner. It was a nice evening out!Special Features: