Nick's Fishmarket Grill
222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Nick's Fishmarket Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.nicks-fishmarket.com/
- Phone: 3126210200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Saturday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Perez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Large or small, every gathering you entrust to us gives us the opportunity to delight you and your guests. From our exceptional service to our exquisite cuisine, you"ll feel the difference from the moment you contact us.
- Private Party Facilities: Private & semi-private dining rooms are available. Nick's Fishmarket can accommodate up to 220 guests. Rooms can be equipped with audio-visual equipment. Special menus are offered for groups from 20 to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Lembke 3126210211x
A word from Nick's Fishmarket Grill
A Chicago area culinary landmark, we are famous for serving the freshest seafood, premium dry-aged steaks and finest award-winning wines. Nick's Fishmarket Grill offers expertise in seafood preparation in a Casual yet chic dining experience. Located in the Chicago Merchandise Mart, the Grill is perfect for lunch, dinner or after work cocktails and features a menu of shareable starters and daily fresh fish selections. Whether you're dining for business or pleasure, Nick's Fishmarket Grill extends a first class dining experience with outstanding atmosphere and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick's Fishmarket Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Valentine's DaysMariaBlancaDined on 2/14/2014First visit, nice experience. I love the fact that free parking is available for the restaurant right outside the door after 5 pm. Offers a variety of seating arrangements. I thought the prices fit the value, this place is more substance, less hype. Staff is energetic and polite, friendly. Looking forward to going back, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good StuffSteveDined on 2/13/2014Good food, noise low to carry on a business conversaton - watiers very helpful - keep up the good work - thank you!
- Perfect business lunchBabzieDined on 2/12/2014I took clients to lunch. The request was for a round table for six, we got it. Waiter was patient with special order request and the meal was delicious without constant interruptions. Absolutely will do it again. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a really nice mealClayDined on 2/11/2014From the moment we walked in the atmosphere and staff were great. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful with selections and recommendations. We met as a group of business travelers from all over and our customer was very complimentary of Nick’s. Like many others we tried the Lobster Bisque based on other reviews, it did not disappoint. The food was hot and fresh and some of the best calamari I have had. This place would be great for meeting clients, or a nice dinner for just you and your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood and great serviceBCoffeeDined on 2/6/2014I've always wanted to experience Nick's and I'm so glad I did. Excellent food and wonderful service. I enjoyed every single thing I ordered. I'm definitely going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperiencepoppyDined on 2/4/2014The food was great and our server was very knowledgeable. My only pet peeve was our placement at the very back of the restaurant near the bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merchandise Mart /Holiday Inn GemFranVIPDined on 2/3/2014Want good food, nice atmosphere and excellent location to the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, Nick's is the place to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Weekekim0422Dined on 2/1/2014I'd never been here before, but Restaurant week gave me a chance to try something new. The quality of the food was excellent and our server Faith did an excellent job. The restaurant itself is a little tricky to find if you've never been there before but we were able to weave through Merchandise Mart and avoid the cold to get to the restaurant. The Restaurant Week menu provided many options and I was ecstatic about my Shrimp Risotto and Lobster dinner. Overall an excellent experience and I hope to be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great, but weLJonesDined on 2/1/2014The food was great, but we felt very rushed to finish eating. Each course came out before our plates were cleared from the prior course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great servicemichael101Dined on 1/29/2014My wife and I went for Restaurant week, and were very happy with everything. We had bot h been to Nick's in its prior iteration downtown, but had not been to the new location. The restaurant week menu was great (much larger than typical, with several choices) and everything we had was excellent. I had the Mahi Mahi in parchment, my wife had the Crab Risotto. everything was cooked to perfection, and very delicious/savory. And our server Benjamin was great. Really nice, excellent service. Polite but not intrusive. All in all a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant Week choicelmw25Dined on 1/25/2014Food and service were very good. This was a restaurant week evening so it was an excellent value and the menu choices were wonderful. The location in the Merchandise Mart is more suited for business lunches and than for dinner.
- Solid experienceCarsonDined on 1/25/2014Great cocktails. Restaurant week specials were fabulous and our party of 4 (girls night) had a hard time choosing what to order. Overall, a really good experience, I think it would be suitable for a date night or larger group, depending on where you are seated. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averagefoodie68Dined on 1/24/2014Nice location and very spacious. The food was good not spectacular but worth a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great After Work SpotjschreiDined on 12/30/2013Went there for a nice romantic dinner, but really not that kind of place. Food and service were great. Perfect for a drink with friends after work.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly disappointed, expectedFREDDined on 12/23/2013Terribly disappointed, expected the Nick's of 3 or 4 years ago, great service, table cloths, ambience. Received probably nice lunch spot.
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/20/2013I would not recommend this restaurant. While service was excellent, it was not exceptional and I will not recommend it.
- Good and okaysignguygbDined on 12/13/2013Me and my fiance went here and I got the Filet Mignon. It was great. She got the chilean sea bass and it was good but seemed greasy. Not sure if that is how it was supposed to be but she would of rather got something else. Other than that the service was great. Place wasn't very busy but had a large corporate party going on in a side room and was pretty loud. Didn't bother us though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a Fine Place for DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2013Our dinner was...fine. Tasty, nothing remarkable. My friend ordered the Larry's Legendary Salad and the hearts of palm were left out. When she told our server we were told there was a new guy in the kitchen, which just tells me that training is unimportant. Had to ask for salt and pepper on the table.Special Features:
- Good food, ButUncGeorgeDined on 12/7/2013Price was high for well prepared food. Service was tough as they were VERY short handed. Milieu was indifferent. Apparently has a reputation for excellent fish, but atmosphere takes the shine off of food.Special Features:
- The waiter Billy was AWESOME.KarenDined on 12/7/2013The waiter Billy was AWESOME. He brought me this decadent dessert for free on my birthday. He went above and beyond! The food as always was fantastic!! The only downside was the portion size was a little small. I had the Ahi Tuna and it was pretty small. The best tasting I have had but small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChamoisVIPDined on 12/7/2013That's about it.... no complaints, except for sub-par wine list... but I get it, not cheap to have a robust inventory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceCindyDined on 12/7/2013My girlfriends and I travel to the One of a Kind Show at the Merchandise Mart every year. We were looking for someplace to have lunch that was close, and Nick's is right inside the Mart. We were pleasantly surprised to find a wonderful menu that had something for everyone, we had a reservation and were seated immediately and the wine and food were second to none. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult bar serviceCecilDined on 12/6/2013I have been to this location before. My friend and I usually eat here during the One a of a kind show, Our waiter Raul was fantastic. We ordered the special Cosmo martini. Right from the start the martinis were awful. We both othered the same one and as soon as I tasted it I knew it wasn't right. We both sent them back. The female bartender came out and said she didn't know what was wrong with them. We sent them back again and again they were awful. They didn't use real cranberry juice rather very bright hot pink?? Got a different martini all together and was ok but, nothing special. My steak salad and crab cake were good and my friends salad/ lobster were good also. Bar needs work. Raul a great server considering the situation.Special Features:
- Not the Nick's Fish Market I lovedBeachakraDined on 12/3/2013Huge disappointment! The "new" Nick's in Merchandise Mart was a huge diappointment. My husband and I used to enjoy making reservations for dinner, months ahead of time, for intimate celebrations or other reasons. It was often the highlight of our once a year trip to Chicago. This year (12/3/2013), our expectations were not met. It was hard to find and no longer the classy dining place it once was--for us. It was practically empty (7pm), nothing special about the ambience, no intimate seating, basic items like bread was not put out on the table. The server was nervous/pleasant enough, but she did not have a lot to work with. The menu was limited, food was pricey, as usual, but mediocre tasting/unimaginative (not expected).
- excellent dinner!ChrisDined on 11/30/2013Dinner was excellent. It was prepared perfectly, presented beautifully. We had a fantastic meal and a fabulous evening. Thanks, Nick'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal and serviceNancyDined on 11/15/2013A little hard to find the new location. It was empty on a Friday night. Our waiter was fantastic. The good was delicious and the new decor is beautiful.Special Features:
- A long-standing favoriteOlapaVIPDined on 11/12/2013Reliable menu and service. Well-prepared food and attentive service. Conversation friendly. Always a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strategy MeetingRochelleDined on 11/12/2013I love the options of food as a prepackaged lunch or individual entrees. The desserts are too die for, and the soups are scrumptious. This establishment is a jewel in the crest of Merchandise Mart. It warms the soul while linking the stomach with comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably is more popular duringeaterinchicagoVIPDined on 11/9/2013Probably is more popular during lunch time and during the work week; it was a little quiet. Everything was great, though.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2013The host/waiter was very friendly, attentive, and attractive ;) hah. I enjoyed the dinner with my loverSpecial Features:
- The place was freezing cold;jrchicagoVIPDined on 10/25/2013The place was freezing cold; I know it's cold outside, but it shouldn't be cold inside! Food is solid, but the service as jus so-so. Not enough waiters for a busy Friday lunch. Also, this place is way too expensive for a lunch. 4 people, soup, lunch, no alcohol, was over $160. $40 per person, way too much for lunch without drinks.
- Bar and GrillExperienceDined on 10/19/2013Nicks Fishmarket is known for its fine dinning and good food. The Merchandise Mart location is designed to cater to corporate lunch and after hours Bar & Grill. As a note to future patrons for fine dinning and the traditional Nicks Fishmarket experience go to the Rosemont IL location. For good food and a great staff Nicks Fishmarket at the Merchandise Mart Plaza in Chicago is highly recommended. The staff is friendly, food is tasty, decor is modern, classy, and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackluster foodExp123Dined on 9/26/2013I had the special of the day, a swordfish. I have had better frozen food from the grocery store. It was accompanied by mashed potatoes, seemingly from a box! No thanks!
- i was impressed with the comfortablsmellslikefishDined on 9/14/2013i was impressed with the comfortable dining experience we enjoyed at your restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Not What You Remember!ExpectationsVIPDined on 8/28/2013I booked this reservation based on memories of great food (the Dover Sole was delicious, albeit pricey, but at the new location, outrageously expensive), nice atmosphere, and a doting staff. Instead, there was a tv at the bar (which I could see from our booth which was the furthermost spot away from the bar), loud music that was designed to get people to drink more at the bar, but not to have easy conversations at a booth, and food that while fine, was not out of the ordinary (and the wonderful dessert that one of our guests remembered as being something that wasn't on the menu but had to be requested - I can't think of the name except that it may have started with an 'L' - was not offered at this location - a bit of a disappointment).
- Convenient location if youBusinessDinerDined on 7/30/2013Convenient location if you are already in Merchandise Mart. I've been to other locations that were better. We had a waitress where it was her first day on the job. Wrong order came out and they had to redo it. Food was just okay. Don't know if that is the standard for that location, or if it was not as good because they rushed.
- Thank god the food was good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013We went with friends and upon entering we were stopped and asked if we had a reservation. There was one occupied table and it was 8pm. We ordered and received a completely different entree and was told by the waitress that some of the entrees were whatever the chefs interpretation was that evening because they were so busy. When we commented that the place was empty she said they were short staffed. It took us over an hour to get our meals but what we did get was very tasty. I won't go back.Special Features:
- Staff members at receptionBusinessManDined on 7/26/2013Staff members at reception desk, and waiter were very friendly, helpful with menu choices and using our cameras to take our pictures during our business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodgreat4sureDined on 7/22/2013My first time at this new location. The food was fantastic! I remember Nick's back in the day, on Clark street. Nick's had fell off last few years on Clark. I am happy to say my recent visit was a pleasant surprise' The Food was great and the Service also. The Key lime pie was just as I rememebered. Hope to visit you again, very soonSpecial Features:
- where was everyone?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2013Thursday evening and we're two of six people in the dining room at 7:30. We decided to just have a drink and a couple of appetizers. They were very good and our server was very friendly. Would most likely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.