45 East 30th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.masonjarny.com/
- Phone: 2122133587
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Lou Santos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: There is a private mezzanine dining area that overlooks the main floor available for private affairs and gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Brendan 2122133587
A word from Mason Jar
Mason Jar serves mouthwatering American BBQ/Comfort food. There is an extensive Bourbon Menu and Craft Beer pairings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mason Jar reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (6)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food was overall really tastey.FoodeeeeeVIPDined on 6/7/2011Food was overall really tastey. The brisket was very fatty but other than that everything was great. I was pleasantly surprised about the prices too; very reasonable. Our waitress was very accomodating and personable.Special Features:
- This is NOT a bbq place.ssbelltxVIPDined on 5/14/2011This is NOT a bbq place. Order sandwiches, burgers, etc etc. The ribs and chicken are good but the absolute worst BBQ sauce I have ever tasted. The brisket was too thick and not at all tender like true smoked BBQ is suppose to be. The sides however were HEAVEN... Mac and Cheese, Brussel Sprouts, onion rings, jalpeno cornbread... Yum!Special Features:
- The service was good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/30/2011The service was good. The place was nice and very clean but the food was not good at all. Fries were soggy, ribs were average. Good beer/wine selection.Special Features:
- The waitress informed us thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/23/2011The waitress informed us that they were changing their menus, but hadn't printed out the new menus yet -- the result being that of the 4 of us dining, only 1 of us was able to get the meal that they really wanted. The rest of us had to go with our 3rd or 4th choices-- what we wanted was no longer available. This is supposed to be a barbecue restaurant, yet it turned out that they didn't have a single chicken entree available. There were chicken wings appetizers available- they were gooey with sauce, and the waitress provided me with ONE napkin. She disappeared, so I had to wander around looking for more napkins. The food that we received was good, but the ordering problems and the disappearing waitress means I will never go there again.
- A great place for anyone undernotoutallthetimeVIPDined on 4/2/2011A great place for anyone under 25. Food merely passable.
- This restaurant is a hiddenpaellafanDined on 4/2/2011This restaurant is a hidden gem on a dark street. The food was outstanding. My boyfriend and I ordered the fried chicken and the meat sampler. The brisket is juicy, tender and seasoned to perfection. The fried chicken was the juiciest chicken I have ever had and the mashed potatoes with white gravy - perfection. It was incredible and I was even threatening to lick the plate. I would love to say I would try other dishes when I return, but the chicken was so amazing that it's all I want to get. The wait staff couldn't do enough for us and the vibe was 'highly energetic' especially since it was the night of the final four. I can see how it gets crazy in there but as long as you ask for a table in the back or upstairs you should be OK.Special Features:
- We went for brunch and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2011We went for brunch and the food was delicious, however it took forever for it to come out. Roughly an hour. I noticed that none of the other tables had food on them either, so I think there may have been a problem in the kitchen that morning. This was not an issue with our server as she was prompt and accessible, the food just didn't seem to be ready. The manager comped us a couple extra drinks and checked on us after about 40 minutes, which made us feel better about the timing. When we finally did eat, the food was delicious. Great bar-style brunch.Special Features:
- Made a reservation and thereInkedFoodieDined on 3/13/2011Made a reservation and there was no need (felt kind of silly). For a Sunday night there were only 3 tables taken and a couple of people at the bar. Regardless of the lack of customers the waitress was very kind and attentive. Had the Bandito buffalo wings as an app and they had a little tang but not to tickle my palet. I ordered the buttermilk friend chicken and the portion was huge came with a drumstick, a beast, mashed potatoes, and jalapeno cornbread. Not a huge fan of the breading bc it looked like the 4c's italian bread crumbs vs a homemade batter but the chicken was definitely moist and tasteful. My bf ordered the pulled pork with mac and cheese and cornbread, and the pork had flavor and the mac was cheesy. Cornbread not spicy.Special Features:
- good experience and yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/10/2011good experience and yummy southern food.. great place to hang on a thursday nightSpecial Features:
- Good food, great selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/5/2011Good food, great selection of beer. Service was good too... very friendly and attentive. This is a bar... so if you want more of a restaurant ambiance, ask to be seating all the way in the back by the booths, or upstairs. They were out of a few items... certain staples like fried pickles, and some of the beers. But overall, would definitely go back and try it again.Special Features:
- Just not quite sure....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/5/2011We had a mixed experience with the Mason Jar. Upon being greeted, we were escorted to our "reserved" table. At a high top. In the bar. At a small table for two, with bar stools. Had I wanted to sit in the bar, I wouldn't have bothered to make a reservation. I then asked if we could have another table & was told by the hostess, oh those tables are for reservations. Um, what exactly does that mean, considering we had a reservation? We were finally moved by our very sweet waitress, who was wonderful, as was the food. Towards the end of the meal the same hostess walked by our table and placed a "reserved" on it, which I thought was quite tacky. Based on this experience, regardless of the service and the food, we don't know that we'll go back.
- Really wanted to love it, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2011The service was great and the ambiance is fun--a down home sports bar in the midst of Manhattan. However, the food isn't as appetizing as you would hope for. The menu options are great and the ribs were good, but the burgers, pot pie and appetizers leave a lot to be desired. Such a shame. The chef/cooking staff have a lot of potential, but something is just missing from the food. Service was great and the place is fun. A lot of potential, but the food needs some work.
- Solid food, reasonable pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/26/2011Solid food, reasonable prices and good beer selection on tap. Would definitely go back if I lived in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- bar food. bar scene. fun for HHOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2011typical bar food. bar scene. big happy hour scene. not a place for casual dining. fun spot for watching games & drinking beers.Special Features:
- The ribs are dry. the presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2011The ribs are dry. the presentation is a bit bad. no wonder the restaurant is empty.
- We went in the afternoon.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2011We went in the afternoon. It was quiet, a nice place to grab brunch or lunch. Great place to watch Saturday afternoon sports on TV.
- Large portions. Good HappyaugustDined on 2/4/2011Large portions. Good Happy Hour value. Very good value overall.Special Features:
- I LOVE the Mason Jay!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/22/2011My search for the best "comfort-food-restaurant" has ended at the Mason Jar! Everything on the menu sounded good, and they were very accomodating (we asked if the chicken wings could come boneless, and our waitress suggested the chef could toss the chicken tenders on their menu in our choice of buffalo sauce...which was TDF!) My boyfriend had the Chicken-fried steak, and I had to Mac N Cheese, and it was easily the best food we've had...ever! Oh, and you HAVE to try to fried pickles!!Special Features:
- This place was fun. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/20/2011This place was fun. The food was fine, but nothing special. It is a great place to watch sports and enjoy some bbq. I ordered the pretzel burger. It was slightly overcooked, but overall was good. My boyfriend got the fried chicken and was very happy. My waitress was terrific. Very polite, friendly, helpful, etc. I would come back for the lively atmosphere with friends that want a casual catch-up session, not a romantic or "quite conversation" kind of place. Fun, loud and good food, but not unique (especially since this is NYC). Would come back.Special Features:
- The barbecue was pretty goodbigbabyDined on 1/13/2011The barbecue was pretty good but not excellent. The ribs were good but the brisket wasn't so tender. The beer list was the highlight of the restaurant and the bar was crowded during happy hour. For watching sports and enjoying some comfort food and beer this is the right place. The bourbon chipotle wings were outstanding!Special Features:
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2011The food was great and the happy hour specials were cheap and delicious. My date and I particularly loved the Mason Style Baby Back Ribs. The wings were also very flavorful and not overly hot. Our server, Danielle, was polite, helpful, and warm. The ONLY criticism my date and I agreed on is that the pulled pork seemed a little bit over stewed and lacked texture, but it still TASTED wonderful. Overall, I thought it was a good experience without breaking the bank. I used a Groupon for this meal, but I would definitely go back and pay full price.
- We had a party of 12, andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2011We had a party of 12, and everyone agreed that the meat (ribs, briskets, and steak) was very dry. The fried chicken was only juicy meat.
- We spent a week visiting NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/2/2011We spent a week visiting NYC and this was our favorite restaurant. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and the atmosphere was terrific. We kicked back, watched some football and had a great time.Special Features:
- Food's ok, good for sports fansOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/2/2011it's an ok place. We went for Sunday brunch and it wasn't packed at all. It looks like a great place for sports fans, we saw a couple with jerseys on and there are large booths that can fit up to 6. I don't recommend the fried pickles they were a bit mealy and overall the food wasn't amazing, it was okSpecial Features:
- Mason Jar has a solid beerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/28/2010Mason Jar has a solid beer list and a great assortment of food. Unfortunately the Turkey Burger I ordered was disappointing but I've been told the cuban sandwich as well as other dishes are very good. But the spinach artichoke dip with chorizo was excellent (Thanks James for the reco). Great neighborhood bar, I'd definitely return and just order somethign else.Special Features:
- We had a very nice meal. WeKaybeeVIPDined on 12/18/2010We had a very nice meal. We were a little skeptical because the reviews we read weren't great, but we were very pleasantly surprised. Everything we had was delicious. The wait staff was very friendly. The only negative was that they didn't have any desserts because they said they were still new which I found a little strange. They gave us a 15% off coupon to return though and we certainly will.
- The brisket was fantasticMidtownfoodieDined on 12/14/2010The brisket was fantastic and the prices rights, but they had no soup and no dessert! The waitress said they have picked a dessert menu - now they just have to have it available. Hopefully they will soon.Special Features:
- The service was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/3/2010The service was friendly and attentive and the food was fine, but the noise level really was a detriment to having a pleasant meal.Special Features:
- Delicious fried pickles!!!rstarVIPDined on 12/1/2010Delicious fried pickles!!! Nice space with lots of room at the bar, decent seating and room upstairs. The night we went there was a boisterous holiday party of sorts, which made a noisier than expected dinner. But good beer selection and tasty bbq (although the sauce was a little lacking in kick/spice/pizzaz)... Overall good - we'll go back if in the area. Especially/if only for the fried pickles!Special Features:
- This is a young person'e barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/30/2010This is a young person'e bar scene where the people there take prominence over the food. The noise is unbearable, but might be better for 20-something's who don't care about noise. It's not a bad place, only a poor choice on my part.
- This restuarant is definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/23/2010This restuarant is definitely great if I am looking for drinks. Unfortunately, the food is disappointing. The quality is poor when compared to other similar restuarants close by such as Hill Country and Blue Smoke. If it can find a better chef to make tastier food, it may have a chance. The service and ambiance are great though.Special Features:
- Food, ambience and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2010Food, ambience and service all adequate but not great. Reminds you of a chain you might see in a mall.
- Good Service, Barbecue isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2010Good Service, Barbecue is average. There was a good early night bar scene on weekend nights I have been there but seems to clear out by 1. Decent for watching games. Would go back, but not for the food.
- We liked this place so much,KathDined on 10/20/2010We liked this place so much, we came back the next day for a business lunch!Special Features:
- Found the listing for theKathDined on 10/19/2010Found the listing for the Mason Jar on Opentable and decided to go for lunch. We were very pleased all the way around. The food was great the atmosphere was very nice and the value for lunch was great too. Loved the brisket sandwich!Special Features: