16 Mint Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.54mint.com/
- Phone: 4155435100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5pm - 9:30pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mattia Marcelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Mission and Market streets
- Public Transit: Mint Plaza is located off of Fifth Street between Market and Mission Streets in San Francisco’s Central Market district. The Plaza is a short distance (approximately 1 block) from the BART/MUNI Powell and Montgomery Street stations. Convenient MUNI bus lines include the 14 Mission, 15 Third, 30 Stockton, 45 Union and all Market Street routes.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: a Public Parking Garage is also available, located on the corner of Mission and 5th streets.
A word from 54 Mint
54 Mint is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Our pastas and desserts are made fresh on a daily basis. 54 Mint is also a retail store where you can purchase, for a simple gift or for your own need, a variety of imported products such as extra virgin olive oil from Umbria, balsamic vinegars, cheese, spices, wines and much more...Our bar will remain open until midnight offering an extended variety of cocktails and high-end imported and local spirits as well as a late-night menu of small bites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
54 Mint reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (43)notable wine list (32)good for groups (28)romantic (25)great for outdoor dining (25)special occasion (22)great for lunch (18)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- We live in the City and weOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/20/2010We live in the City and we always pass by 54 Mint and we kind of new that the ambiance was going to be good, not only the ambiance was good the food was fantastic. We had a group of four and everyone were estatic with what they ordered, the serving were just right, the desserts were good as well and more importantly the pricing were all reasonable, lastly the service was really good as well, very attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- The eggplant pasta was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2010The eggplant pasta was delicious but the service was slow and poor. They didn't bring appetizers that we had ordered at all and brought the check before the desserts. In addition they called the night before my reservation for 10 people to tell me they overbooked and wanted to move my reservation back 30 minutes. I thought that was highly unprofessional and refused to accept that so they moved it back to 8pm which was my original reservation time and they did seat us on time. Overall, I liked the food but I probably would not go back there because there are so many other high quality restaurants in SF without the hassle of poor service.Special Features:
- This has to be the noisiestdiner99VIPDined on 11/16/2010This has to be the noisiest restaurant in San Francisco. Even the waiters had to shout. Service is enthusiastic but very disjointed- silverware for next course placed while your in mid bite on the current course, one water glass filled, one left empty, etc, etc. There is NO ambiance. It's too bad because the food is very good across the board.
- First time here. We had theOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 11/15/2010First time here. We had the opportunity to sit outside and we should have - when the inside is full, it's so loud you almost have to shout and we were only a table of three. The food was very good though. All of us had different pastas and they were all excellent. The service was slow and forgetful. We had to grab another wine glass of the table next to us because the waiter forgot to bring us one. Our waiter wasn't very friendly and the plates were placed and removed rather abruptly. The food is good enough though that I would probably go back - particularly to sit outside.Special Features:
- 54 Mint is really tucked awaykcmo57VIPDined on 11/15/201054 Mint is really tucked away - you probably wouldn't stumble on it serendipitously. However, it's worth the navigation to find it! We leisurely dined outside on a glorious November evening, enjoying a parade of locals on the street. The food was very good, accompanied by a fine list of Italian wines.Special Features:
- I ahd heard so many good thinsgOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2010I ahd heard so many good thinsg about 54 Mint. I saw the opening at opentable fo lats minute date and grabbed it. We had a great experience. The service is impeccable. We were at the bar waiting for table. My date orderd Martini and I asked teh bar tender to make something with Rum and he was gracious to come up with cocktail. We were seated at the table an our waitress was amazing. she recommended the antipasti and zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese. both were delicious. The wine she recommended (Beltrame Tazzelenghe) was amazing. I am not a big fan of Italian wines but this one was amazing. The pasta special (Pasta de Funghi) was excellent. Absolutely great food and fabulous service!! SebastianSpecial Features:
- Really small portions, sardinesOceanViewDined on 11/13/2010Really small portions, sardines mediocre, Squash flower tasty, Main course pasta dish of ravioli good but appetizer portion
- Our second visit, first wasJohnCVIPDined on 11/13/2010Our second visit, first was a year ago. Food this visit was exceptional, soup and pastas especially, service was also better than expected based on user reviews on the various websites. We expect to return within three or four months which for us is saying something.Special Features:
- Location is great - classicOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/13/2010Location is great - classic San Francisco alley strip and close to the shopping district/movie theaters. Food was good - Mushroom Ragu with pasta was great and their was a great choice in appetizers . I had the squash blossoms and they were nicely prepared - -however, they needed a little sauce to enhance the preparation.Special Features:
- Soup, salad, and squid appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2010Soup, salad, and squid appetizer were delicious. Pasta dishes (house made) also were notably yummy. So I was quite disappointed with the apple tarte (supposedly house made) which was quite forgetable. Perhaps other desserts are worth expending the calories. But that's really only a small blip in a very satisfying dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food but place is tooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2010Great food but place is too loud you can't hear the person next to you let alone across the table,made the entire evening a drag
- Had to send back one of theedddiewVIPDined on 11/12/2010Had to send back one of the courses, but the service staff gladly replace our choice with something to our liking. There are better choices in the Mint Plaza.Special Features:
- excellent italian cuisineCenturionVIPDined on 11/11/2010excellent italian cuisine that feels like you are eating from "mama's" kitchen; friendly and hospitable staff; a real gem -- and the prices make you think it's 1989! great food, great value - what more could one want!Special Features:
- Great place for a date orOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2010Great place for a date or dinner out on the town. Food was excellent; I had the pork chop with spinach and polenta; all 3 were perfect. My date had a pasta with mushrooms dish and it was very good. Cool place with upstairs and downstairs seating; very unique old building with lots of charm. Small (but full) bar. Easy parking at the 5th and Mission garage across the street. Very good service, food, and overall experience.
- Took an out of town visitorRobertDined on 11/9/2010Took an out of town visitor to lunch. We were on the early side and the restaurant was nearly empty. That was a bit disconcerting, but the wait staff was wonderful, food was delicious and the wines by the glass varied enough to be interesting. This was my first visit to 54 Mint and I was impressed. We started with the salumi/cheese platter, then each had the wild bass. When we tried to finish with an espresso we learned that the restaurant was out of regular coffee and we could only have decaf. Found that odd, but the staff handled the oddity well enough and it left no sour note. The location doesn't fit my needs very well, but were it closer to my Financial District office I could imagine enjoying the restaurant on a regular basis.Special Features:
- We had two pasta dishes, theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/8/2010We had two pasta dishes, the spaghetti alle vongole and the pappardelle del funghi. The spaghetti was perfectly al dente. The selection of after-dinner drinks was great, and the dessert menu was straight forward. Given the downtown location, it was an idea place for dinner after shopping at the Westfield mall.Special Features:
- This is one of my favoritemicwoodVIPDined on 11/5/2010This is one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants. Rustic, southern Italian food with wonderful service. All fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- 4 of us had a wonderful mealEllenDined on 11/4/20104 of us had a wonderful meal at 54 Mint, outside on a lovely night. The pasta was cooked perfectly and the sauce tasty and full of mushrooms. Portions were large enough that none of us could get to dessert. Only downside was the garbage trucks and street activity.
- Casual, yet inviting ambience.avideaterVIPDined on 11/4/2010Casual, yet inviting ambience. Nicely dressed arugula salad and good, slightly spicy, spaghetti a la vongole. Great for a pre-theater nibble.Special Features:
- I've been to 54 Mint beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2010I've been to 54 Mint before and like their distinctive, authentic Italian food. I find it to be very good quality for the price. My usual complaint is that the dining room is noisy and this week that was worse because they'd really turned up the music. Also, there seemed to be a mix-up between our waiter and the kitchen and our main course was very slow to arrive. Everyone was apologetic about it, but it was a long wait. I've not encountered service problems in that past: perhaps it was just a bad night. It was unusually warm and there were a lot of full tables outside, with more people to serve than usual.Special Features:
- An unexpected find in SoMa.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2010An unexpected find in SoMa. First rate Italian menu. Pastas freshly made, salads incredibly fresh. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- 'Nice, friendly and livelyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2010'Nice, friendly and lively vibe to the place. 'Good cocktails and reasonable wine selection. 'Interesting and yummy risotto appetizer. All four of our meals were quite good (fish, pasta, steak) and properly proportioned. Notably, when my husband asked to have his seabass cooked through, the waiter didn't give him the stink eye and the chef throughly cooked the fish without drying it out!Special Features:
- Wonderful food (try the OctopusOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/30/2010Wonderful food (try the Octopus appetizer), good service, but way too noisy. Could not hear the person across the table.Special Features:
- We had lunch at 54 Mint andLiDoDined on 10/29/2010We had lunch at 54 Mint and it was great. It's a small and cozy restaurant with a great staff and wonderful food. It was very quiet when we were there; only one other table filled. I highly recommend 54 Mint and would most definately eat there again.Special Features:
- The appetizers were fantastic,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2010The appetizers were fantastic, but then it went downhill from there. The main dishes were nothing special. My wife ordered the cheese dish dessert and it was supposed to come with toasted walnut cranberry bread, but they only brought their regular house bread. It also did not come with the quince jam as described. When we asked for the proper kind of bread they only gave us two small pieces; not nearly enough for all the cheese provided. Finally, when we got our bill, they accidentally charged us for an entire bottle of wine when we had only ordered a glass. They did give us a complimentary cappuchino as compensation.Special Features:
- Love what this restaurantSFnativeVIPDined on 10/22/2010Love what this restaurant COULD be... Unfortunately our server had an attitude and the food was mediocre. Love the atmosphere and menu... Hopefully quality improves.
- Great place. The food, service,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/19/2010Great place. The food, service, tables etc was excellent! Loved this place would definiltly go back!Special Features:
- this place was spectacular.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2010this place was spectacular. every dish we ordered was just superb- simple, roman cooking. from fiori de zucca to the gnochhi to tiramisu- it hit the mark perfectly! can;t wait to go back!Special Features:
- My friend and I both had theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2010My friend and I both had the mozzarella panini - it was a simple but pleasing presentation of two sandwich halves and a tasty side salad (dressing amount was right on). We stuck with still water but were offered sparkling. When I arrived at 11:45am there were no customers yet, so we had our seat of choice. We ended up outside on a beautiful crisp SF day, and enjoyed the sun out on the patio. The waitress was prompt and got us what we needed. The menu selection was pretty good for lunch - we stuck with the panini because it was smaller and very affordable (~$7). Other things ranged in the teens for pastas, etc, which could be nice if you're looking to settle into a longer lunch with perhaps a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Great food; and the wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2010Great food; and the wait staff is attentive. Decibels can get very high, especially if dinng downstars. Beautiful setting and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- I came here with my mom andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2010I came here with my mom and close family friends. I really loved this restaurant because they captured the authentic Italian experience as far as ambiance, service, and food. Great Italian spot!
- Tucked away in the foodie'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2010Tucked away in the foodie's delight, Mint Plaza, 54 Mint blew my mind. We had four awesome pasta dishes (especially loved the Paccheri alla Norma w/eggplant) and salads (Cavolo Nero...yum). The wine was excellent too. The clincher was the incredibly friendly server who let me borrow her cardigan so we could continue enjoying our outdoor table despite the wind chill. All was amazing. Thank you!!! I'll be back! (with better layers)Special Features:
- Authentic Italian food servedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2010Authentic Italian food served in a relaxed and convivial atmosphere. Without more vegetarian offerings, it is doubtful if I will go back many more times, if at all.
- 54 mint was amazing as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/201054 mint was amazing as usual - great food, excellent location and design, and of course solid service from the happy staff.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian food whichnickDined on 10/1/2010Excellent Italian food which was different than the usual. Vibrant ambiance. Service was spotty on this occasion but have been here before when the service was better.Special Features: