16 Mint Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.54mint.com/
- Phone: 4155435100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5pm - 9:30pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mattia Marcelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Mission and Market streets
- Public Transit: Mint Plaza is located off of Fifth Street between Market and Mission Streets in San Francisco’s Central Market district. The Plaza is a short distance (approximately 1 block) from the BART/MUNI Powell and Montgomery Street stations. Convenient MUNI bus lines include the 14 Mission, 15 Third, 30 Stockton, 45 Union and all Market Street routes.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: a Public Parking Garage is also available, located on the corner of Mission and 5th streets.
A word from 54 Mint
54 Mint is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Our pastas and desserts are made fresh on a daily basis. 54 Mint is also a retail store where you can purchase, for a simple gift or for your own need, a variety of imported products such as extra virgin olive oil from Umbria, balsamic vinegars, cheese, spices, wines and much more...Our bar will remain open until midnight offering an extended variety of cocktails and high-end imported and local spirits as well as a late-night menu of small bites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
54 Mint reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (42)notable wine list (35)good for groups (30)romantic (26)great for outdoor dining (26)special occasion (23)hot spot (17)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- A pearlOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I love 54 Mint! Walking to it is already a pleasure. The restaurant is nested in a corner of the mint plaza and feels special being slightly remote from the buzzy 5th street. Food is delicious, authentic Italian! So is the service- most of the crew is italian. And the atmosphere is warm and cosy. The very only think I could see being better is the size of the portion for the entree;a bit small. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to SOMAloveSFDined on 10/18/2014The 54 Mint out in Concord has been excellent both times I have tried it. I expected this to be just as good if not better. I liked the convenience to my SOMA hotel. Price was decent. Service was excellent. Wine choices good. Unusual appetizer of squash flan was out of this world as was the dessert pannacotta. However, our mushroom paparadelle was just ok. I will definitely go back because there was too much to like but at an Italian Restaurant you can't afford to have "the main act" be "less than." Nice young atmosphere though and the bar looked fun to sit at. We ate downstairs and this seems like a nice space if you have a larger group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestsffoodieDined on 10/18/2014We were very disappointed with all of our meals. The salmon was poorly cooked and uninspiring. Lamb chops were deep fried (?) and bland. I did not try the steak but the preparation looked unimaginative. We were all a little bummed, I would not recommend this spot.
- Their "happy hour" is a scamBladenhikeDined on 10/18/2014Happy hour: 4-6pm, 2 for 1 wine and beer. The beer starts at $11 per bottle (none on tap) and the wine starts at about $14 per glass. You and a friend cannot share the deal: each must get two drinks. They advertise delicious-sounding complementary snacks but, only after we asked for them, did we receive some bread and about 12 almonds (for the four of us.) When my friend asked for his second glass, the bottle ran out as the bartender was pouring. Rather than opening another bottle to fill his glass with a reasonable pour, she just walked away, leaving my friend with a half pour. The dinner food was delicious, but very over-priced for what we ate. For example, $38 for a medium-sized bowl of risotto with some shaved truffles on top.
- Great SOMA findPashn8VIPDined on 10/16/2014I never thought I would write a rave review about a salad, but the frisée salad with Bosc pear, cheese and toasted almonds was as perfect and delicate and balanced and flavorful as I could ever wish for. 54 Mint has a warm and inviting space great for an initiate dinner or a large dinner with friends. We'll be back....Special Features:
- Great serviceVancliburn1Dined on 10/16/2014The service was amazing. The food was great. Our group enjoyed the experience immensely. The food came out quickly and tasted delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much "ick" foodValStone50VIPDined on 10/16/2014Porchetta that's really fatty; kale, that even cooked, is tough to chew; tripe; octopus; and it's a limited menu, so you're really not left with many options. On one occasion, I was served the wrong wine, as well. On the positive side, the rib eye steak was done to perfection (even though it was thin), and the breaded lamb chops were delicious. A stunning standout is the butternut squash flan appetizer. Their panna cotta is too gelatinous and heavy, but their tiramisu is light, airy, and mouth-wateringly good.
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/14/2014Terrible service, super salty food, incredibly inattentive, long wait for food. Would never ever go back
- Authentic Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Great gem if you like great tasting authentic Italian food.Special Features:
- Hidden GemDecadent1Dined on 10/10/2014Date: Oct 10, 2014, Obama was in town and fleet week. Party of four. It was a nightmare to get around. It took 2 hours to go from 6th Street to 3rd and Market. Needless to say we were not making our 8:30pm reservations. I phoned the restaurant to let them know of our situation and they were very accommodating and move our reservations to 9:30pm. The service was impeccable! The server chose 2 bottles of wine & was friendly & knowledgeable about the menu. We had family style dinner and especially enjoyed the truffle risotto. Shaved truffles and truffle butter. Need I say more. The Oxtail is their signature and always great. The space is intimate and romantic. A must try for contemporary Italian cuisine. We closed the place down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Twist on ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Mint 54 is the perfect location for a nice dinner before heading to the Golden Gate Theater, especially if you are taking BART into the city. The risotto special, topped with shaved truffle was amazing, however the pear salad tasted like the top had come off the salt shaker. It was so salty I was barely able to get through half the salad. The lamb and kale, however, was also a good choice. The kale was somewhat spicy, but complemented the lamb well. Overall, it is worth checking out.Special Features:
- Great pretreated find5678VIPDined on 10/9/2014The area around the Golden Gate Theater is a wasteland as far as getting a bite to eat before a show. 57 Minutes is charming, very good food and only a 7 minute walk. The main room is whitewashed brick with big windows and high ceilings. We told the maitre d' that we only had 45 minutes to eat. The waiter was very accommodating, recommended good wines and got us through in time for their delicious tiramisu.
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014At first bite, I thought I was in Rome. Food was outstanding, beer and wine were Italian and excellent server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My only complaint was the noise level.
- Great food, horrible noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 10/6/2014The headline abovf says it all...food was great, but a very loud restaursnt, not condusive to comversation. The restaurant was n,y about 1/2 full, but acoustics were horrible and noisy due to hard concrete floors, hard chairs, etc., seemed a lot,worse than most city spots. Hard to hear waiter explain specials of the day and wine reccomendtions, but the food that we orderd and were served was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great FindFood4thoughtDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner at 54 Mint before a show at the Golden Gate Theatre. The food reminded me of my trips to Italy, with homemade pastas and quality ingredients. Handmade pasta was cooked al dente and the flavor of each ingredient shown through. Salmon was crisp on the outside, tender inside and not overcooked (like so many restaurants). If you are a lover of heavy, buttery, salty cuisine, this is not for you. Italian wine list is vast, and our waiter looked just like a young Al Pacino! Very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014I thoroughly enjoyed the food, wine, presentation and service. Both the chef and the server are from Rome, and for a moment I really began to think I was in Italy again! The authenticity and uncompromising quality of the products, as well as the region-specific wine selections by the glass will definitely see me back for a return visit when I'm next in San Francisco.Special Features:
- DelishAceofHeartVIPDined on 10/3/2014The appetizer fan, octopus salad, and pastas were truly tasty and delish. I still have the flavor taste in my mouth. It was wonderful to dine outside by a warm SF night. The inside decor is quite nice. I'm going back!Special Features:
- Great dinner before a playLambieDined on 10/2/2014Perfect location for a nice, quick meal before going to Golden Gate Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good business & foodDawgpileDined on 9/30/2014I was looking for a good restaurant near Moscone at lunch that I could still move around in as well as hear what was going on, as business was being conducted. This was perfect. We requested to sit downstairs, which they accommodated. It's just the right amount of noise to feel like you can talk without being overheard. The specials of the day were great, nice wine list for individual glasses, when the party I was with didn't want to buy an entire bottle at lunch. We ordered olives as well as an appetizer, which were great. Nice place to go that's not a chain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurantCalgalDined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant. Got their early and enjoyed a before dinner glass of wine at the bar. The wine list was all Italian. At dinner my husband and I both loved our meals and the service was great. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Just about perfectHelkatDined on 9/27/2014My brother and I ate here before going to a show at the Orpheum. We ate downstairs which was quite a bit quieter that upstairs and felt like being in a little restaurant in Italy. We shared a number of courses, all of which were quite delicious. All were good, but the standout was a seafood stew in tomato broth (can't remember Italian name). Service was excellent; had no problem getting to the show (which was about a 3 block walk away. Golden Gate Theater was even closer). Really like Mint Plaza; also very European.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/25/2014I have been wanting to go to 54 Mint and been reading some great reviews. Unfortunately my experience was just fair. It is quite noisy and the service was very slow. I think our waiter was being trained but we had long gaps between when we ordered wine, ordered food, got our food etc. I got the gnocchi and was expecting it to be amazing. It was fine but not memorable. They have a cute outdoor space which might be a better option for some drinks and appetizers.
- TriciaDined on 9/20/201454 Mint never disappoints. The staff and knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. The food is consistently outstanding. 54 Mint is a favorite.Special Features:
- Consistently greatAJB435VIPDined on 9/14/2014I have been here three times on three separate trips to SF and I have enjoyed it each time. The service is always outstanding and the food is extremely well prepared. My only suggestion to the chef would be to focus a little less on pork and a little more on vegetables. Seemed like 70% of the menu had pork in it. Maybe it's just for the fall season. I would also like to see some traditional italian dishes prepared expertly rather than so many exotic options. Regardless, I will go back.Special Features:
- WonderfulYeah5Dined on 9/13/2014The service, food, and atmosphere is perfect for an intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMissKTVIPDined on 9/12/2014Get the pecorino pasta! It's delicious an not something you find anywhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute decisionlvladyDined on 8/30/2014We dined at 54 Mint on Saturday evening on a last minute decision, having just finished a wine tasting at another location. Our service was very good as was our pasta and wine. We were seated in the lower dining area. It was a quite warm there as it was very warm in SF that evening. I would recommend this restaurant for fun, casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousJKKKDined on 8/30/2014In my open table reservation I requested a quiet table and we were shown directly to the table in a quiet corner. The staff was attentive and helpful. A Italian only wine list matches well to the excellent food. The staff helped us choose and excellent bottle. Dinner was excellent- the gnocchi was fabulous!Special Features:
- Reminds me of ItalyJanButlerVIPDined on 8/30/2014I love the fresh pasta that is served here! We had the special truffle pasta - melt in your mouth goodness! Hubby had special ahi tuna served with white bean purée. Another excellent choice! Our waiter and wait staff was perfect. Waiter made some on target recommendations with both food and drinks! Make sure you have the tomato and fresh mozzarella salad! The mozzarella is creamy! Tomatoes could have been better! Love this place!Special Features:
- Pasta was lukewarmMskaiDined on 8/29/2014I ordered the truffle fettuccine. The food was not hot when it got to the table. The truffles were abundant which I liked but funny it didn't have any taste. I've had truffle pasta in Europe and this was nothing like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experiencecrzykiddDined on 8/27/2014We were looking for something affordable, but good. 54 Mint did not disappoint. Had a group of 8, and got out for about $600. The food was great, compliments to the Chef. Everyone in the party was a happy customer. Keep up the good job.Special Features:
- Would come again!eaterincDined on 8/26/2014The food is good, the service is fine... it's pretty basic as far as ambiance goes, but it'll do! I would come here again...Special Features:
- what a findrungirlsfDined on 8/22/2014our friends raved about 54 Mint, and we now know why. We were very skeptical, especially the area. But we are converts. The starters had too many choices, and we were only disappointed because we had 2. We both had pastas, and didn't try a secondi. Both pastas, the carbonara and the tonnarelli were amazing. My birthday tiramisu was scrumptious. Thank you 54 Mint for a memorable evening...filled with great wine and amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly fabulous. TheMegAlVIPDined on 8/22/2014We are always warmly greeted and reminds me of an old country Italian meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOldButLivingItDined on 8/21/2014The food was excellent, fresh and cooked to order from scratch. The wines by the glass were wonderful (an a tad expensive) and we should have ordered a bottle. The staff are young but very focused on seeing that everything is done correctly. They seem to be paying attention to details and its paying off.Special Features:
- TravelerDined on 8/19/2014Food is wonderful; service gracious. Feels like you're at a friend's homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceLeo18Dined on 8/17/2014I met my nephew and his wife for dinner. It was everything I expected and more. The Food is fantastic, the service was great without being obtrusive and the waiter and Manager (Jason) were fantastic. Very well managed, everyone was taken care of. It was like eating in a families home in Italy. Great atmosphere, dim, but not so dark as you could not read the menu. Old world furnishings, but very comfortable. The Staff made the night. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentyumyumyumDined on 8/16/2014went for bday dinner.. excellent food and service , loved it !!Special Features:
- Historic gem, tucked out of sightdandougDined on 8/15/2014You have to be looking for it, but some things are worth looking for. 54 Mint, tucked behind the old mint on Mint Plaza, is one of them. My wife and I recently enjoyed a romantic dinner there. We loved the historic building with modern, contemporary touches inside. Surprisingly (so close to Calif wine country) the wine list as all Italian -- it helpd us pretend to be in Italy. With guidence, we picked a bottle of 2010 MONTEFALCO Rosso, Antonelli. It was excellent. We started with a sea cucumber bruschetta and some tomato risotto croquettes. They were ok. However, the the main courses: salmon filet and gnocchi with smoked pancetta in a tomato sauce were outstanding! We finished with a cheese plate, more wine and left very satisfied.Special Features:
- Aunt ValValerie080VIPDined on 8/13/2014Lovely little place tucked in an alley. Food was delicious, however if you want a romantic evening, this is not the place. A little loud, but again, the food was great!Special Features: